DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
Actually, Z aired in 2008 well at least one episode but it was certainly close to 10 years.
2008 was six years ago, not even close to 10 years. I think that was a random one time thing back in 2008. I think the last time Toonami played DBZ was DBZ Movie 12 and 13. Before that, it was the Black Star Dragon Ball arc of GT in early 2005. Ultimate Uncut was not on Toonami since it was around 11:00 PM on weekdays from what I can remember.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 25, 2014 11:45 pm

6 years is close to 10 years. When the last time Dbz the SERIES(not movie) aired on Toonami. Also what's fan reaction to this?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 26, 2014 9:02 am

Didn't an episode of Z air on Toonami just last year when Toonami returned for April Fools? It was the one when Gohan beats Cell I believe.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon May 26, 2014 11:26 am

90sDBZ wrote:Didn't an episode of Z air on Toonami just last year when Toonami returned for April Fools? It was the one when Gohan beats Cell I believe.
They did, as part of the original 'one night April Fool's Day event' of Toonami, that generated such a huge fan reaction that we ended up getting Toonami back full-time.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Didn't an episode of Z air on Toonami just last year when Toonami returned for April Fools? It was the one when Gohan beats Cell I believe.
They did, as part of the original 'one night April Fool's Day event' of Toonami, that generated such a huge fan reaction that we ended up getting Toonami back full-time.
Funny how that works. A shame they lost Inuyasha though.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Awesome news! I just found out! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :) It's going to take them a while to get through it though want it? :P Toonami only comes on Saturday.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm

It wouldn't be too terribly long. 2 years to go from the start to the end of the Cell Saga, and by then, hopefully we'll have the Buu Saga ready, for another year or so of episodes to finish that. And by then, hopefully, they'll be able to air Battle of Gods dubbed.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon May 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Really, a long running show on the block isn't a bad thing in some ways, at least not from Toonami's perspective I'm sure. So long as it gets ratings, it just means they don't have to add something else in that slot again for a while.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Rumor has it that Kai is going to replace Bleach with Bleach ending soon with 20 more episodes left dubbed.
She/Her

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue May 27, 2014 12:58 am

Here is my thought I believe they will start straight from the Final Chapters Arc of DBZ Kai. It makes little sense that they would wait until bleach ended to put Kai on the block if they were starting from the Saiyan saga. Especially with Space Dandys ratings starting to plummet during reruns, No their has to be a reason why they are waiting until October which is my guess right before Kai Part 9 is released!! Plus the Buu Arc was very popular during its original run on Toonami!!

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Tue May 27, 2014 1:13 am

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but according to Jason DeMarco they'll be starting from episode 1 of Kai:

http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/112616802281
http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/112617975017
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:31 am

Some of the fanboys on the Toonami facebook page are annoying. They find stupid ways to prove that DBZ was uncut on the week days on Toonami when it was not unless you watch the midnight run. I don't know who is more blinded by nostalgia. The DBZ Toonami fanboys, the G1 Transformers fanboys or the MMPR fanboys :lol: ?
She/Her

Sketch

Post by Sketch » Tue May 27, 2014 3:11 am

Dragon Ball Z after season 3 got away with a surprising amount of violence with a Y7-FV rating. Interestingly enough the recent Cooler's Revenge airing got a Y7-FV rating as well.

DBZ on Toonami's Midnight Run was the same version that was on daytime Toonami.

However, over the summer of 2005, Cartoon Network aired the first two seasons completely uncensored in late prime time before Adult Swim and later that year they began airing those same episodes as early as 7:30PM on Saturday night with a PG rating until early 2006 when they switched to the edited dubs.

CN probably could have aired DBZ Kai visually uncut without the curse words in the dialogue and IMO Nicktoons did a pretty decent job airing the show without a lot of awful edits.

One thing is for sure, airing DBZ Kai benefits Toonami a lot more than it benefits DBZ Kai but perhaps people will at least realize that what is on Vortexx or Nicktoons isn't the uncut version of Kai.

Personally I'm thrilled they aren't playing the old dub but so so about them playing any version of DBZ.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 27, 2014 4:12 am

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but according to Jason DeMarco they'll be starting from episode 1 of Kai:

http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/112616802281
http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/112617975017
On the first link he says DBZ and then on the second one it's Kai, so Dragon Ball Z Kai but he forgot the K at the end of DBZ? Guess so.

Nevertheless, it's great for the US TV to be getting it uncut and aside from the bad music placement and repetitive use of the same BGMs, it's wonderful due to being from Kikuchi!
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

GravediggerNALK

Post by GravediggerNALK » Tue May 27, 2014 7:38 pm

I think it'll either take Bleach's spot when it leaves, or it'll take the spot left open by Naruto: Shippuden, One Piece, or Space Dandy if one of them moves into Bleach's timeslot . . . regardless, it's going on early on the block. As far as editing is concerned, it will probably be aired completely uncut: None of the swearing is out-of-bounds as far as [adult swim] handles censoring now (you basically have to be Black Lagoon to get censored now . . . funny how that works out); none of the violence is more graphic than anything on Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece; Kai is premade with Gohan's testicles covered; cigarettes (stares at Bulma poster hanging on wall) are apparently fine since Cowboy Bebop ran/will run again with them.

Personal note: I'm glad that both Toonami and FUNimation did announcements stating that DBZ was back "where it belonged". Kinda warms the heart, eh?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue May 27, 2014 11:33 pm

I wonder when the website will be updated about the news of Kai coming to Toonami. Figured it might not be through the holiday weekend, but I'm surprised nothing was posted today.

Either way, biggest DB news to me for the year. This can't happen soon enough for me. Wonder if Viz will try to get Sailor Moon onto Toonami, to get more of the old guard.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Tue May 27, 2014 11:41 pm

The Intruder is coming...

Not exactly DragonBall news, but this is awesome!
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed May 28, 2014 6:00 am

I can't wait to hear people complain about the "shitty trumpets".

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Geez, gotta love how much negativity there is towards old Toonami fans or expecting the worst from them as they watch it. Granted it will be out there, but still...sheesh.

Definitely kind of happy that they're going to be starting from episode 1, as it gives them more time to work on airing things through, and makes it easier for new fans to jump on board.
Twitter

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Mewzard wrote:I wonder when the website will be updated about the news of Kai coming to Toonami. Figured it might not be through the holiday weekend, but I'm surprised nothing was posted today.
Which website? Kanzenshuu?

An existing dub coming to another network is not really something we would post about.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::