DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Post by Soul » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:40 am

Episode 1 is finally properly streaming on Adult Swim Video, with the Kikuchi replacement score.
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/dragon- ... n-of-goku/

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:24 am

And didn't Kanzenshuu have a hand in getting Yamamoto fired? It seems like it could be with how you guys have threads solely dedicated to his plagiarisms.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:18 am

TheAldella wrote:And didn't Kanzenshuu have a hand in getting Yamamoto fired? It seems like it could be with how you guys have threads solely dedicated to his plagiarisms.
They even have a topic dedicated to Yamamoto's plagiarism.

Kanzenshuu appears to exist since 1998 but thankfully they weren't as popular back then or the VGM music would have been ruined too because honestly there's just no better composer for Dragon Ball games as of today still. No not even the synthesised Kikuchi tracks which weren't released outside Japan and they only used them for the Tenkaichi series whereas Mr. Yamamoto's was the one in charge for all the Budokai games (Budokai 1, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, Shin Budokai 1, Shin Budokai 2, Infinite World, Burst Limit).

Playing Budokai without Mr. Yamamoto's music? No thanks.

Strangely enough even though Bandai's aware of the situation they still used Mr. Yamamoto's music for the Xenoverse Beta... Thank you Bandai.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:18 am

TheAldella wrote:And didn't Kanzenshuu have a hand in getting Yamamoto fired? It seems like it could be with how you guys have threads solely dedicated to his plagiarisms.
If so, then good for them. He deserved nothing less for plagiarism. And if it means having to use a soundtrack that may not be as good as the plagiarized one, then so be it. As for the mistake that was made showing Kai with said soundtrack, there is no excuse for knowingly airing a show with plagiarized music, so I'm glad that this mistake has been acknowledged, and they are taking care of it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:36 am

I... guess...? if you want to count people within this and other communities talking for decades and pointing out direct comparison examples of Yamamoto plagiarizing music... sorta... maybe... you could say people contributed to him getting fired?

I say how about we place the blame on the person who actually did the plagiarizing. Accountability.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:49 pm

They're making the right decision to look into the music issue and (hopefully) replace future airings with the Kikuchi-scored episodes. As much as love Yamamoto's work (artists copy all the time; you just have to put your own spin on the material), his Kai score was still significantly plagiarism and it's just better for all parties involved (Cartoon Network, FUNimation, and Toei) if they just remove all traces of the Yamamoto score.

I'd rather see the whole thing aired and released then having delays or cancelled releases because of a music dispute.

Now if you'll excuse me... *proceeds to blast my Super Butoden/Budokai playlist*
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:45 pm

As much as I hate plagiarism, I dislike Kikuchi's score in Kai even more.
Kikuchi fits perfectly in the original Z, but for Kai it's definitely out of place.
I would have preferred at least a new score over Kikuchi, but I can see why they chose the latter.
Actually, I would have preferred Yamamoto's score to have just stayed intact for all 4 Seasons on Blu-ray.
Eh, I'll live.
One World. 🌐 🕊

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:56 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:As much as I hate plagiarism, I dislike Kikuchi's score in Kai even more.
Kikuchi fits perfectly in the original Z, but for Kai it's definitely out of place.
Is that because of the placement or the score itself? If you mean the former, I agree.

There are some people who often say that the Kikuchi score doesn't go well with Kai regardless of how it's placed, but I always fail to understand it. Kai is virtually the same as Z except for the pacing; same footage, (mostly) same voices, and same sound effects. How does the pacing alone make it unfitting? I've never seen any logical explanations for it.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:56 pm

kei17 wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:As much as I hate plagiarism, I dislike Kikuchi's score in Kai even more.
Is that because of the placement or the score itself? If you mean the former, I agree.

There are some people who often say that the Kikuchi score doesn't go well with Kai regardless of how it's placed, but I always fail to understand it. Kai is virtually the same as Z except for the pacing; same footage, (mostly) same voices, and same sound effects. How does the pacing alone make it unfitting? I've never seen any logical explanations for it.
If I were to hazard a guess, I think it would be due to the pacing itself.

Some of the faster paced music in Z does play for some slow scenes, some where no actual fighting occurs even, so it could just be a bit of an identity crisis when comparing between the two.

I can't think off the top of my head but I think there were times where there was this type of song played in non-action scenes.

Technically though, the faster paced music should fit better with the faster pace of Kai if this were the case.

Just a weird way I'm looking at it. It could just be as simple as Kai = New Product = New Music Needed = New Experience in the end.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:48 pm

kei17 wrote:

I agree. My issue with the Kikuchi score in Kai has always been entirely about its placement, not the actual music. It's not that it doesn't fit with the show musically, after all, it was originally made for DBZ, which is basically an extended edition of Kai. Actually, when I heard that they were going to replace the Yamamoto score with the Kikuchi score, I was excited. I thought, "Oh, awesome, that'll be a great alternative!"

...But I assumed that the placement would be as good as it was in Z...and with some exceptions here and there, it wasn't really.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 pm

I think a big problem with the placement of Kikuchi's score in Kai also happens to be the limited number of tracks available.It seems like they reused a lot of the same tracks over and over again.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:22 am

WittyUsername wrote:I think a big problem with the placement of Kikuchi's score in Kai also happens to be the limited number of tracks available.It seems like they reused a lot of the same tracks over and over again.
This.

I remember watching a temp-Kikuchi placement on Kai's Toonzai through a small YouTube clip and that sounded way better than the permanent-Kikuchi score. IIRC the scene was in Namek about gathering the Dragon Balls and that BGM never played on the final-Kikuchi version of Kai (they'd always play the same repetitive BGMs).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGznyNKBEpU

The Opening's English but the ED's Japanese which is kinda strange since they dubbed it too and it's one of the best English Kai EDs available. I wonder if someone's going to report this to Toonami.

Edit: Info from the video post -
So, although this version hasn't aired yet, it was found on [AS]'s site. The episode was re-uploaded due to some snitchin' about the Yamamoto soundtrack.

If a different version airs, I'll pull this.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:44 pm

That's not how it aired at all. The full English OP & ED were shown.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:36 pm

True, but it's how the opening and closing credits are presented on the episode (now with the replacement Kikuchi score) posted on [adult swim] On Demand and on their website. If Toonami decides to use the full Attack on Titan opening tonight, this might be what we'll be seeing from now on. Though, I don't understand why YBCB is in Japanese instead of English.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:04 am

Looks like Toonami caught on. Kai is on with Kikuchi.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:33 am

Just watched tonight's airing.

The intro was ridiculously cut down, much more so than the Nicktoons opening, and the ED was in Japanese. I don't understand that one.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:36 am

Personally I prefer the Toonami edit of Dragon Soul, just feels right for the song to start at the beginning.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:14 am

Soul wrote:Personally I prefer the Toonami edit of Dragon Soul, just feels right for the song to start at the beginning.
With ya on that one.

I really liked the Kikuchi score this ep. It was nicely placed in each scene.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Honestly, the Kikuchi music placement in Kai is still good. I can understand lots of folks' frustration about it (especially on this forum), but I still think it's presented much better than the Sumitomo score for Kai or even Faulconer Productions in their heyday.

Outside of a few misplaced cues, the Kikuchi score still fits Dragon Ball to a tee, even if they're recycling the same 20 or so music cues. And the repetition is only really noticeable if you're marathoning a show or are intimately familiar with the program. Most of the viewers watching this aren't going to notice or care. To the casual viewer, it's more like: "DBZ BACK ON TV, 'EFF YEAH!"

For the Toonami intro, I really wish they'd just run an edit of the Vic Mignogna version. His rendition had more (Dragon) soul to it. No offense, Mr. Schemmel.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.