Funimation has indeed finished dubbing Kai Buu Saga

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Funimation has indeed finished dubbing Kai Buu Saga

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:12 am

So I was at Matsuricon a convention in Columbus Ohio which had Chuck Huber as a special guest. He is the voice of Kabito in the Buu Saga of DBZ. I asked him if he was the voice of Kabito in Kai and he said yes he indeed is. Also during the panel he mentioned that he had finished recording his lines as Kibito in Z Kai!! So now the only question is when will it be released :|. Tomorrow i will upload my video footage to youtube in case anyone wants proof and just because it is was an awesome panel.

Bananape
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Funimation has indeed finished dubbing Kai Buu Saga

Post by Bananape » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:02 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:So I was at Matsuricon a convention in Columbus Ohio which had Chuck Huber as a special guest. He is the voice of Kabito in the Buu Saga of DBZ. I asked him if he was the voice of Kabito in Kai and he said yes he indeed is. Also during the panel he mentioned that he had finished recording his lines as Kibito in Z Kai!! So now the only question is when will it be released :|. Tomorrow i will upload my video footage to youtube in case anyone wants proof and just because it is was an awesome panel.
Just because Chuck Huber finished his lines doesn't mean recording is complete, especially with a lot of the voice actors being at anime conventions during the summer. Some voice actors may still need to come in to record.

But at least we have further confirmations about the dub itself. Hopefully Chuck Huber doesn't get into any trouble with FUNimation for revealing this.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:51 am

Bananape wrote:Just because Chuck Huber finished his lines doesn't mean recording is complete, especially with a lot of the voice actors being at anime conventions during the summer. Some voice actors may still need to come in to record.

But at least we have further confirmations about the dub itself. Hopefully Chuck Huber doesn't get into any trouble with FUNimation for revealing this.
While it is true that Chuck Huber didn't say anything about the entirety of the dub being completed, I'm pretty sure it probably is. We've been hearing about the dub being in production since last year. If FUNi is following the same schedule as the first phase of Kai, then we will probably see the first release in Spring 2015. Phase 1 began airing in Japan in April 2009 and FUNi's Part 1 was released in May 2010. Phase 2 began airing in Japan in April 2014, so I'm thinking maybe a May 2015 release is pretty plausible. That will also give them time to finish up their Z Blu-rays.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:15 pm

I didn't think about the DBZ blu-rays. That's an interesting point...I wonder if they're waiting to release the Kai Buu saga until after they've released the last DBZ blu-ray set.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Oh, goodie! I've been looking forward to this. I hope it doesn't take them forever to release them once they start, though. They should really make up for this long wait.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:38 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I didn't think about the DBZ blu-rays. That's an interesting point...I wonder if they're waiting to release the Kai Buu saga until after they've released the last DBZ blu-ray set.
I think it definitely has something to do with it. I know that they consider Z and Kai to be separate products, but with the Season 7 Blu-ray releasing next month, if they were to begin releasing Kai this year, they would literally have two Majin Buu arc Blu-ray releases on the market at the same time.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Oh, goodie! I've been looking forward to this. I hope it doesn't take them forever to release them once they start, though. They should really make up for this long wait.
What was their schedule like for Kai 1.0?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:Oh, goodie! I've been looking forward to this. I hope it doesn't take them forever to release them once they start, though. They should really make up for this long wait.
They released a Part every 3-4 months with the exception of Part 7 which came out 6 months after Part 6.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
They released a Part every 3-4 months with the exception of Part 7 which came out 6 months after Part 6.
Yikes that long? I guess every two months for Kai 2.0 Final Chapters wouldn't go amiss, I mean with Kai 1.0 schedule it'll take them forever to finish it, especially if your Spring 2015 assumption is correct.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yikes that long? I guess every two months for Kai 2.0 Final Chapters wouldn't go amiss, I mean with Kai 1.0 schedule it'll take them forever to finish it, especially if your Spring 2015 assumption is correct.
Three months is pretty standard. You have to keep in mind that Toei probably requires them to stay behind the Japanese broadcast and home releases. I think you are thinking of it in terms of the Z Blu-rays that are releasing every 1 1/2 months. With no ongoing broadcast and such to hold them back, there is nothing stopping them from pumping them out. Three months for an ongoing series is actually a pretty good pace. Although, if they do start releasing in Spring 2015, we could see a faster release since Buu Kai should be finished airing by then.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:43 pm

I certainly hope the release pace is faster. I'm one of those who's waiting for the Season Sets.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:05 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:I certainly hope the release pace is faster. I'm one of those who's waiting for the Season Sets.
Hard to say with the Seasons/Collections. FUNi usually begins releasing those after they've squeezed most of the profit from the Part releases, so it depends on the popularity of the series. The first Kai season set wasn't released for two years after they began releasing the series and the month after that the final Part released. They didn't start the seasons until they had pretty much finished the entire series.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 am

Fingers crossed they don't change the voice actor for Bobbidi/Babidi. He was amazing in his performance.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:36 am

LordCrumb wrote:Fingers crossed they don't change the voice actor for Bobbidi/Babidi. He was amazing in his performance.
None of the cast changes so far have really bothered me. I didn't care for some, but nothing too serious. However, this is one that would really piss me off. I thought Duncan Brannan did an amazing job. I mentioned in another thread that he was one of the very few dub voices that I greatly preferred over their Japanese counterpart (Joji Yanami). Bin Shimada is doing a fantastic job, but when I hear Babidi, I hear Duncan Brannan.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:Fingers crossed they don't change the voice actor for Bobbidi/Babidi. He was amazing in his performance.
None of the cast changes so far have really bothered me. I didn't care for some, but nothing too serious. However, this is one that would really piss me off. I thought Duncan Brannan did an amazing job. I mentioned in another thread that he was one of the very few dub voices that I greatly preferred over their Japanese counterpart (Joji Yanami). Bin Shimada is doing a fantastic job, but when I hear Babidi, I hear Duncan Brannan.
In that case, I suspect you may already have seen this video, but if not, here's a behind-the-scenes video of the recording of the English dub of one of the DBZ video games, and behind-the-scenes footage of Brannan specifically can be found at 2:19, 7:48, 19:45 and 19:58. It's very clear in watching this guy that he loves his job. :D
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Someone please tell them to fix the green tint
If they do that, their version would be much more appealing than the Jap version, so more sales from hardcore fans = profit!

Yeah, you know the world is upside down when you want Funimation to fuck with the colors :lol: