Why didn't Toei get Takaki to score Buu-Kai and BoG?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Why didn't Toei get Takaki to score Buu-Kai and BoG?

Post by mcdonough88 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Strange move considering he was scoring DB games after Yamamoto got canned.

Ajay

Re: Why didn't Toei got Takaki to score Buu-Kai and BOGs?

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 pm

Perhaps due to him working on Happiness Charge Precure! and not having enough time.

Maybe with their focus on an international audience; they felt Sumitomo had more experience with the west due to him studying and touring there over the years.

Who knows? I don't think there's any concrete evidence out there.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:18 pm

I've not seen Battle of Gods yet but I have been keeping up with Majin Boo arc of Kai and honestly would've preferred Takaki to be the composer because he'd be without a doubt far superior. I love the cinematic score of the animated scenes in Ultimate Blast they sound far better, properly thought of and professional.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 pm

Not sure if it's true, I think I remember hearing he was a student of Yamamoto. If I'm remembering that correctly, that would be why. Kei would probably have the answer on this.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:31 pm

It really is such a shame he wasn't picked if that is the case. I really do like his music and often find myself rewatching the Ultimate Tenkaichi cutscenes over and over even if I do find the voice acting lackluster.

As generic as it can be, it really does mesh very well with Yamamoto's score and even Kikuchi's to an extent. It feels far more consistent than Sumitomo's synthy mess does. The need for such a stark shift in tone between arcs is so unfortunate.

I shouldn't get so worked up over it all but I was such a huge fan of Yamamoto and Kai that having such a big change is just really frustrating and upsetting for me. I wanted that nicely condensed and beautifully remastered version of the show to enjoy.

Dub fans are so incredibly lucky that they can just replace the music in their 5.1 mix. I'd have to perfectly match up the music in my own instrumental track for every single episode of the Japanese 'dub' and hope that Utagoe did a good enough job of removing it.

Deadtuber.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:It really is such a shame he wasn't picked if that is the case. I really do like his music and often find myself rewatching the Ultimate Tenkaichi cutscenes over and over even if I do find the voice acting lackluster.

As generic as it can be, it really does mesh very well with Yamamoto's score and even Kikuchi's to an extent. It feels far more consistent than Sumitomo's synthy mess does. The need for such a stark shift in tone between arcs is so unfortunate.

I shouldn't get so worked up over it all but I was such a huge fan of Yamamoto and Kai that having such a big change is just really frustrating and upsetting for me. I wanted that nicely condensed and beautifully remastered version of the show to enjoy.

Dub fans are so incredibly lucky that they can just replace the music in their 5.1 mix. I'd have to perfectly match up the music in my own instrumental track for every single episode of the Japanese 'dub' and hope that Utagoe did a good enough job of removing it.
You know I actually have the score from those scenes on my computer if you like I can upload them
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for the offer but I have them too. I think you may have misunderstood what I was talking about.

I was referring to Kai's new soundtrack. I'd have to get the soundtrack and then place them perfectly for every 26 minute episode to create my own instrumental that Utagoe can use as a basis to remove from the actual final mix in the episode thus leaving only the dialogue and sound effects.

Deadtuber.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:27 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Thanks for the offer but I have them too. I think you may have misunderstood what I was talking about.

I was referring to Kai's new soundtrack. I'd have to get the soundtrack and then place them perfectly for every 26 minute episode to create my own instrumental that Utagoe can use as a basis to remove from the actual final mix in the episode thus leaving only the dialogue and sound effects.
oh sorry my bad. Man I feel like an idiot :oops:
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:03 am

My guess is that it's because Sumitomo scored Asura, which shares some staff members with Kai. Maybe they thought that he was good and hired him for the Dragon Ball series.
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Not sure if it's true, I think I remember hearing he was a student of Yamamoto. If I'm remembering that correctly, that would be why. Kei would probably have the answer on this.
No he wasn't. Takaki and Yamamoto both studied under Kentaro Haneda, who is most known for the opening song to Macross among anime fans.

Incidentally, Haneda is often referred to as Haneken (Haneda Kentaro) by fans, and Yamamoto is also called Yamaken (Yamamoto Kenji) by Japanese DB fans.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:39 am

Glad to have that cleared up. Must've been thinking of something different, not sure what I had it confused with though.

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:24 pm

I really hope we get Takaki-scored games, I cannot picture DB games with Sumitomo on them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:30 pm

mcdonough88 wrote:I really hope we get Takaki-scored games, I cannot picture DB games with Sumitomo on them.
Takaki or whoever was in charge of the new tunes of Battle of Z other than these two the DB VGMs are pretty generic and low quality nowadays.

Ultimate Tenkaichi's in-game music was guitars which sounded very similar to each other so hope that never happens again but Toei and Bandai are fucking cheap when it comes to Dragon Ball.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:19 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:I'd have to get the soundtrack and then place them perfectly for every 26 minute episode to create my own instrumental that Utagoe can use as a basis to remove from the actual final mix in the episode thus leaving only the dialogue and sound effects.
Couldn't you use the dub's 5.1 track for that — extract the music only instead of voices only, and put that on utagoe?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:51 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
mcdonough88 wrote:I really hope we get Takaki-scored games, I cannot picture DB games with Sumitomo on them.
Takaki or whoever was in charge of the new tunes of Battle of Z other than these two the DB VGMs are pretty generic and low quality nowadays.

Ultimate Tenkaichi's in-game music was guitars which sounded very similar to each other so hope that never happens again but Toei and Bandai are fucking cheap when it comes to Dragon Ball.
Takaki didn't do BOZ, someone else did, I think they did that ST because of Americans.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: Why didn't Toei get Takaki to score Buu-Kai and BoG?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:24 am

I know he didn't do which is why I said " whoever was in charge of the new tunes" I didn't imply it was Takaki as I meant Takaki or whoever was in charge of BoZ soundtrack that should've done the score for Kai 2.0 than Sumitomo.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray