Tonight on "Things to Make You Feel Old"

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Tonight on "Things to Make You Feel Old"

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Man, I watched DB, DBZ and GT years before Kai or Super... people like you make me feel like a turtle hermit levels of old :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:16 am

On April 4, Kai is gonna turn 10 years since it was first aired here in Latin America.

Unfortunately it's something that's gonna be largely ignored because of its "controversial" dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:51 am

Tian wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:16 am On April 4, Kai is gonna turn 10 years since it was first aired here in Latin America.

Unfortunately it's something that's gonna be largely ignored because of its "controversial" dub.
You guys got the good Z dub. Feel like you guys got the better end of the deal. XD

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:51 am
Tian wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:16 am On April 4, Kai is gonna turn 10 years since it was first aired here in Latin America.

You guys got the good Z dub. Feel like you guys got the better end of the deal. XD
I felt like I got a pretty good deal growing up watching the show on Toonami, I tried watching Kai back when it was airing on Nick and it just didn't grab me like the old show did, it just felt like there was something missing.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 am

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:51 am

I felt like I got a pretty good deal growing up watching the show on Toonami, I tried watching Kai back when it was airing on Nick and it just didn't grab me like the old show did, it just felt like there was something missing.
I mean Z is just a better product than Kai. Superior acting and dialog from the English dub isn’t going to change that. And honestly Z’s dub is only really bad from Ginyu Assault to Free the Future. Starting with Warriors of the Dead and then going back to the UUE redub era it’s decent enough. But that’s still a significant portion of the dub that is nigh unwatchable (different strokes for different folks of course there’s nothing wrong if you like the same portion of the dub that I think is hot garbage)

All I’m saying I’d rather take a good Z dub like the Latin American dub than a good Kai dub like we got. Because again a good dub isn’t going to save Kai from being Kai and I totally understand why fans would still watch the Funi’s Z dub over it

Gerard Saint Osiris

Post by Gerard Saint Osiris » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:34 am

It's been 10 years and almost 6 months (first aired November 7, 2010) since the Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai aired on Indosiar (also quite shame for them since they stopped airing animes since early 2017). Looking back into some episodes that I got to recover, it is truly an improvement over the messed up DBZ dub they did back 10 years earlier when the voice acting on some characters are not enough poured and some of the characters' name being changed like Kaio -> Emperor or Chaoz -> Taco.

2010 is also the year I got introduced to some other animes aired by the same channel (that I ended up liking some of them more than DB) like Bleach, Gintama, Battle Spirits, Inazuma Eleven, Metal Fight Beyblade, & Bakugan Battle Brawlers.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 05, 2021 5:04 am

Gerard Saint Osiris wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:34 am It's been 10 years and almost 6 months (first aired November 7, 2010) since the Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai aired on Indosiar (also quite shame for them since they stopped airing animes since early 2017). Looking back into some episodes that I got to recover, it is truly an improvement over the messed up DBZ dub they did back 10 years earlier when the voice acting on some characters are not enough poured and some of the characters' name being changed like Kaio -> Emperor or Chaoz -> Taco.

2010 is also the year I got introduced to some other animes aired by the same channel (that I ended up liking some of them more than DB) like Bleach, Gintama, Battle Spirits, Inazuma Eleven, Metal Fight Beyblade, & Bakugan Battle Brawlers.
I really wonder, how the dubs of some properties that are heavily infused with Japanese pop culture and national references like Gintama, are handled outside of Japan. For huge nerd growing up on 80's anime and dating Japanologist for nine years, I get a lot, but hardly everything and there are notes in the subtitles sometimes, describing why is something odd or funny.
And I really can't imagine it airing in Europe, which is miles away from any Asian culture in a sense of perception.
I love Gintama immensely, but sadly, it is really a series for smaller niche audience.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 15, 2021 6:56 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:04 am I really wonder, how the dubs of some properties that are heavily infused with Japanese pop culture and national references like Gintama, are handled outside of Japan. For huge nerd growing up on 80's anime and dating Japanologist for nine years, I get a lot, but hardly everything and there are notes in the subtitles sometimes, describing why is something odd or funny.
And I really can't imagine it airing in Europe, which is miles away from any Asian culture in a sense of perception.
I love Gintama immensely, but sadly, it is really a series for smaller niche audience.
The Simpsons, Family Guy and especially South Park are way more heavily infused with pop culture and national references. Do you think it's weird Europeans watch those too?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 16, 2021 8:10 pm

Adamant wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:56 am
MCDaveG wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:04 am I really wonder, how the dubs of some properties that are heavily infused with Japanese pop culture and national references like Gintama, are handled outside of Japan. For huge nerd growing up on 80's anime and dating Japanologist for nine years, I get a lot, but hardly everything and there are notes in the subtitles sometimes, describing why is something odd or funny.
The Simpsons, Family Guy and especially South Park are way more heavily infused with pop culture and national references. Do you think it's weird Europeans watch those too?
How is this relevant? I am asking about the relationship of Japanese culture with the rest of East Asia when localizing Japanese show, that is totally different...

American culture is mainstream in Europe and pretty much known, as we are culturally more linked and basically all European... if they were native American and the shows were in Iroquoian, that would be a completely different matter.

I can see Gintama being incomprehensible the same way to a casual German viewer the same as a Malay one for example.

And on the other hand, myself, I do understand US pop culture and overal lifestyle more than the French one, as I don’t even speak the language, so I don’t get the nuances, jokes, pop culture references at all and they would be distorted in dub or subs...

If I haven’t dated a girl for nine years, that studied Japanese culture and language (and told me, how twisted Japan is in minds of otaku around the world and that anime is not as mainstream in Japan as they think for example) and haven’t watched ton of Classic 80’s series like Gundam, Hokuto No Ken etc., I doubt I would have fun watching Gintama and still son’t get some things.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat May 22, 2021 12:24 am

Gerard Saint Osiris wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:34 am It's been 10 years and almost 6 months (first aired November 7, 2010) since the Indonesian Dub of Dragon Ball Kai aired on Indosiar (also quite shame for them since they stopped airing animes since early 2017). Looking back into some episodes that I got to recover, it is truly an improvement over the messed up DBZ dub they did back 10 years earlier when the voice acting on some characters are not enough poured and some of the characters' name being changed like Kaio -> Emperor or Chaoz -> Taco.

Sent you a pm, dude!