Will they turn Broly into canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Will they turn Broly into canon?

Post by dragonballgeek » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:09 am

One of two things is going to happen:

1) The Z fighters will be surprised to see there's a LSSJ in another universe and be completely oblivious to the existence of Broly.

2) Seeing her brings back memories of the their encounters with Broly in their universe.

Which would you like to see? Which do you think will happen?

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Will they turn Broly into canon?

Post by Faisal Shourov » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:19 am

It's possible but highly unlikely. Movie villains were not meant to fit with the timeline well. I do realize Super is very inconsistent and full of retcons, but they haven't integrated much non-canon stuff into the show.

The female saiyan however is extremely unlikely to be related to Broly in any way.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:It's possible but highly unlikely. Movie villains were not meant to fit with the timeline well. I do realize Super is very inconsistent and full of retcons, but they haven't integrated much non-canon stuff into the show.

The female saiyan however is extremely unlikely to be related to Broly in any way.

I said nothing about them being related. Their powered up forms however look exactly the same.

You are right about the inconsistency though. I could see Super pulling a fast one and saying its canon and opening up a giant can of worms. Too many fights would be started on these boards :lol:

Keeping them separate makes more sense

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:40 am

If they do manage to do that, then I'm not gonna be a happy camper.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:43 am

There is no way, I could allow Broly to be canon. So the best case scenario is that they don't recognize FEM BROLY, and are suprised when she goes LSS instead of going. WOW, she's like that other guy!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:49 am

If everyone says something like what is that or is that a new form then we'll know he isn't canon.

If they say she's like Broly or if we get a flashback to him then we'll know he's canon.

As of now there's no way to know what they're doing but I think there's maybe a 60% chance at them making him canon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:01 am

sintzu wrote:If everyone says something like what is that or is that a new form then we'll know he isn't canon.

If they say she's like Broly or if we get a flashback to him then we'll know he's canon.

As of now there's no way to know what they're doing but I think there's maybe a 60% chance at them making him canon.

Yes. I made that clear in my initial post lol

It will be interesting to see what they do. Stinks we have to wait a few months before finding out

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:09 am

I think the closest comment to Broly we get is "huh, seems familiar". But of course people are still gonna argue then that the obvious Broly-inspired form getting that comment is not meant as "familiar" to Broly but SSJ Grade 3 just to deny the glorious Broly, embodiement of Maximum Power.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:18 am

If Toriyama puts Broly in Super then he is automatically canon.

spencer7x7

Post by spencer7x7 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:14 am

I think there is a one in a million chance Broly wil be canon. Nothing from the pre 2000s movies have been canon so there's no reason for them to introduce it to their flagship product, even as a joke.
Penguin eating fish.

(o< <º))))><
//\
V/_

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:55 am

As of now I'm more inclined to think they will play it vague (Looks familiar/Where did we see it/etc...) but it's also possible, though VERY VERY unlikely, that Toriyama is going to take Broly and change it as he pleases (like he did with Bardock)
In Broly's case I expect, and hope, that if Toriyama really writes about him, that he changes almost everything we knew about him.
Personally I would only keep his design, his lust for blood and battle, and the story where King Vegeta ordered for him to be stabbed and then he survived the explosion of Planet Vegeta thanks to his power. Everything else should be changed.

We also don't have to forget it's probable Toriyama just designed the girl in her base form and told Toei to do whatever they want with her.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:01 am

emperior wrote: We also don't have to forget it's probable Toriyama just designed the girl in her base form and told Toei to do whatever they want with her.
I am sure enough to bet that she is designed by toriyama, him not knowing how to make a female super Saiyan and him probably being asked to somehow make broly like character should be the reasons for her existence..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:08 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
emperior wrote: We also don't have to forget it's probable Toriyama just designed the girl in her base form and told Toei to do whatever they want with her.
I am sure enough to bet that she is designed by toriyama, him not knowing how to make a female super Saiyan and him probably being asked to somehow make broly like character should be the reasons for her existence..
If she transforms in the same form in both the anime and the manga and she has the same backstory in both, then it will be 100% Toriyama. But we can't tell it yet.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:24 am

They replaced him with a female because they know his motiv and character sucks..I'm sure the female version of Broly will show us more than just only
screaming Kakarot all the time

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:53 am

Lujin_16 wrote:They replaced him with a female because they know his motiv and character sucks..I'm sure the female version of Broly will show us more than just only
Hopefully She will scream
KAKAROT <3
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:20 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Lujin_16 wrote:They replaced him with a female because they know his motiv and character sucks..I'm sure the female version of Broly will show us more than just only
Hopefully She will scream
KAKAROT <3
Imagine Kakarot i love you

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:30 am

There are several other discussions (including one-off threads, in addition to larger discussions in more all-encompassing threads) discussing this upcoming character, the relationship to the series and past works, its impact on "canon", etc. Please be sure to take a look around before creating new threads!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::