"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Chuquita wrote:NewType is out. Episode titles are probably a matter of days (or hours).
As I thought, they usually get released around the 10th, right?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:48 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Chuquita wrote:NewType is out. Episode titles are probably a matter of days (or hours).
The 10th is the official release date; people are just selling/buying it early.

Here's the cover:
Nobody with an interest in Super's episode titles has gotten a copy yet; the 2ch thread as of this post hasn't said anything about this month's NewType.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Chuquita wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
The 10th is the official release date; people are just selling/buying it early.
As I thought. We should have shot down those fake titles faster, as I did think it was a bit too early for them, when the magazine containing them gets released on the 10th.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:13 pm

If we get 4 episodes then we'll probably know how the tournament ends and who ends up fighting who.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:30 pm

New video sales numbers are out.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... h-6/.99541
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... h-6/.99543

Blu-ray Box 2 sold 681 copies on its first week, while DVD Box 2 sold 584 copies. I can't remember that other sales number site, so I dug up the ANN charts for the first Blu-ray (664) and DVD (486) box.

They're still really weak numbers, but I was surprised to see an increase over Box 1, especially on the DVD side. Maybe word got out about Episode 5's corrections and increased people's interest (in which case they were obviously disappointed here). Maybe people just didn't want to buy Battle of Gods for the third time. Or maybe people are actually liking the show itself more, though the TV ratings don't seem to indicate that.
-Rachel

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:44 pm

If the sales don't improve could it lead to it's cancellation ? or will merchandise like toys be what determines it's cancellation or continuation ?
Last edited by sintzu on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:45 pm

The home video sales in Japan will have no effect on anything one way or the other. It's a luxury product that is sent out and expected to be purchased exclusively by the hardest core fans. It does not really support the production of the show in any real way.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The home video sales in Japan will have no effect on anything one way or the other. It's a luxury product that is sent out and expected to be purchased exclusively by the hardest core fans. It does not really support the production of the show in any real way.
That's a relief, Thanks.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Nobody honestly expects these numbers to be high. They'll make their money back through other venues of merchandizing. This is not a late night Otaku series that relies on home video sales.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Not even a thousand copies sold? :shock:

Is this normal in Japan?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Zombie wrote:Not even a thousand copies sold? :shock:

Is this normal in Japan?
Yes. The show itself is and always has been a throwaway product meant to prop up merchandise sales.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Yeah...to put things in perspective, the One Piece and Naruto Shippuden DVD singles released the same week sold 948 and 763 copies, respectively. Long-running stuff doesn't generally pull great home video numbers. I mean...I guess Super technically isn't a long-runner yet, but pretty much everyone is expecting it to be.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:41 pm

Funimation is the company that will need to worry about DVD/Blu-ray sales when the time comes.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:31 pm

TripleRach wrote:Blu-ray Box 2 sold 681 copies on its first week, while DVD Box 2 sold 584 copies. I can't remember that other sales number site, so I dug up the ANN charts for the first Blu-ray (664) and DVD (486) box.
I believe the other anime DVD/BD sales website you was referring to was www.someanithing.com. Or am I mistaken?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:50 pm

No way supers lasting less than 72 episodes. Mark my words.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:02 pm

kinisking wrote:No way supers lasting less than 72 episodes. Mark my words.
I'll go over that and say 100 which would give it a 2 year run.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:15 pm

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:No way supers lasting less than 72 episodes. Mark my words.
I'll go over that and say 100 which would give it a 2 year run.
I could see that too, but 72 is my absolute minimum lol
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:17 pm

kinisking wrote:I could see that too, but 72 is my absolute minimum lol
Why 72 ? it's kind of an uneven number, why not 70 or 75 ?

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:28 pm

My guess is there's going to be one big epic saga after Champa and that will finish the series off. It will lead into the end of Z. I think Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Piccolo will be contenders in said saga, but ultimately it will stronger center on Goku & Vegeta with Golu being the final hero as usual. I'm gonna say Super will be 65-75ish episodes long when it's over. And that's not bad. Most anime I've seen or own barely make it to 24 episodes.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:Most anime I've seen or own barely make it to 24 episodes.
Were they Sunday morning anime ? based on what I know, 9 am shows like DB & OP are made to go on for as long as possible so something like DB that's getting it's 1st series in 18 years is going to get milked till it's dry with or without Toriyama.