"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:58 pm

They're using "Cabbe" here:
Source: https://twitter.com/BrandiMorrow44/stat ... 0115576832
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:59 pm

Oh, cool! Is that the only official romanisation of his name we've had?
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Here are all the covers: (if anyone finds a bigger dvd 2 image please post)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:26 pm

Captain Space wrote:Oh, cool! Is that the only official romanisation of his name we've had?
The only other one I've seen was on the official DB Super site where they use the spelling "Cabe" in the url for his image on the character page.
Source: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/ ... /img01.png
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/chara/25.html
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Xeztin wrote:Here are all the covers: (if anyone finds a bigger dvd 2 image please post)
Man, those covers suck. They all look so poorly designed and edited.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Captain Space wrote:Oh, cool! Is that the only official romanisation of his name we've had?
The only other one I've seen was on the official DB Super site where they use the spelling "Cabe" in the url for his image on the character page.
Source: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/ ... /img01.png
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/chara/25.html
Oh, 'kay. In that case I think I'll go with 'Cabe'. Thanks very much!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:43 pm

It should be noted that the file names aren't really the best thing to go back. They also use "Bills", which while valid, isn't really an adequate romanisation of the name. "Cabe" is a similar deal. The most sensible name, much like "Beers" or "Beerus", is "Cabba".
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Ajay wrote:It should be noted that the file names aren't really the best thing to go back. They also use "Bills", which while valid, isn't really an adequate romanisation of the name. "Cabe" is a similar deal. The most sensible name, much like "Beers" or "Beerus", is "Cabba".
I would agree, but even with the earlier "kyabe" explanation, it still creates a weird discord for me between what's written and what's spoken. If the official release comes out to clarify things (as indeed it did to finally end the back-and-forth with Beerus' name) then I might switch to Cabba, but...Cabe is the sound they're making, right? XD

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Captain Space wrote:I would agree, but even with the earlier "kyabe" explanation, it still creates a weird discord for me between what's written and what's spoken. If the official release comes out to clarify things (as indeed it did to finally end the back-and-forth with Beerus' name) then I might switch to Cabba, but...Cabe is the sound they're making, right? XD
But by that logic, you'd be using "Tolanksu" or "Seru", since that's what they're saying, right? But you don't, because they're literally just English words: "Trunks" and "Cell".

It's the same thing here. "Kyabetsu" is the Japanese approximation of the English word "Cabbage". So "Kyabe" is just the first portion of that, meaning "Cabba" is the most sensible choice.

Deadtuber.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:57 pm

But you pronounce it as "Ca"-"be" right ?

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Ajay wrote:
But by that logic, you'd be using "Tolanksu" or "Seru", since that's what they're saying, right? But you don't, because they're literally just English words: "Trunks" and "Cell".

It's the same thing here. "Kyabetsu" is the Japanese approximation of the English word "Cabbage". So "Kyabe" is just the first portion of that, meaning "Cabba" is the most sensible choice.
I dunno...this is a step beyond the standard interchanchable l/r and the way their words are constructed with the syllable 'building blocks' requiring additional vowel sounds, isn't it? Japanese does contain that particular 'a' sound, and though with reason, they're using the 'e' sound.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Captain Space wrote: I dunno...this is a step beyond the standard interchanchable l/r and the way their words are constructed with the syllable 'building blocks' requiring additional vowel sounds, isn't it? Japanese does contain that particular 'a' sound, and though with reason, they're using the 'e' sound.
It's actually exactly what it is. From "Kyabe" to "Cabba" isn't particularly different from "Taaresu" to "Tullece". Moreover, it's not a case like retaining "Baata" instead of using "Butter" because the spellings are different in Japanese. "Kyabetsu" is literally just the English word "Cabbage" in Japanese.

You can also find キャベジ (Kyabeji) as a non-standard spelling for "Cabbage", and perhaps that makes more sense to you, but it's still irrelevant. The first half is still identical. Why would you make his name any different? It's literally just the "Cabba" from "Cabbage".
But you pronounce it as "Ca"-"be" right ?
Sort of, but not quite.

Say "Cabbage" out loud, and cut off the ending. That's how you'd pronounce it, as far as I understand it. You don't say Cah-bah-j, it's more of a weird E/A sound depending on where you're from, I guess.

Deadtuber.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:17 pm

It still seems weird to me but I guess you'd know better than I would.

EDIT: As for your last point, I suppose that throws up the problem that if you lop off the "ge", you'll now instinctively pronounce it "ah" instead of the almost "eh"-sounding thing in "cabbage", because English is weird. Whereas in Japanese--as far as I know, not fluent by any means--"be" sounds the same basically no matter what.

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:41 pm

It has to be spelled "Cabe", "Cabbe" or "Cabbay" to accurately convey the pronunciation in English. It can't be "Cabba" and retain the long vowel "a" sound at the end of the word. "Cabbe" makes the most sense. It's still close enough to the original word to get the naming pun by looking at it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Don't take my word on the pronunciation. I'll leave that to Herms or someone who knows better than me.

Deadtuber.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:50 pm

I've been using Cabba on this forum because it's what the site uses, but outside of here I've been sticking with my own preference (at least until an official romanization pops up from Shueisha) of Kabe and when tagging I use three different versions so I cover all the bases (Cabba, Kabe, and Kyabe) since I know others who use different spellings.

I've actually never seen the Cabbe spelling until these stickers came out. I could get behind Cabbe as the spelling if Shueisha goes with that.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:00 pm

I just assume everyone knows better than me to be honest XD I assume it'll be cleared up before long, anyway.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 pm

HeroR wrote:They probably just decided to leave it vague and let the fans assumes it takes place in the same time period as the movies since Pan is born, and Gohan and Videl have been married for awhile. Unless you believe that Gohan and Videl finished high school (They're both 16 in the manga during the Buu Saga), got a steady job, lost his power-up from Old Kai, all the span of six months to a year.
The whole first episode feels like a little after Boo (and the wish). Goku is training because of the Boo fight, Satan gets given the World Peace Award or whatever, the journalists don't know Mister Boo, Goten and Trunks go fetch a marriage present. We still have Vegeta's promise and Oob having "just been born". None of this sounds like four years later.

Of course, Pan is the one to mess all of this up.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:40 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
HeroR wrote:They probably just decided to leave it vague and let the fans assumes it takes place in the same time period as the movies since Pan is born, and Gohan and Videl have been married for awhile. Unless you believe that Gohan and Videl finished high school (They're both 16 in the manga during the Buu Saga), got a steady job, lost his power-up from Old Kai, all the span of six months to a year.
The whole first episode feels like a little after Boo (and the wish). Goku is training because of the Boo fight, Satan gets given the World Peace Award or whatever, the journalists don't know Mister Boo, Goten and Trunks go fetch a marriage present. We still have Vegeta's promise and Oob having "just been born". None of this sounds like four years later.

What if after those first few episodes there is another time skip to the '4 years later?' if that makes sense.
If I remember correctly, Beerus still slept for 39 years lining up with Battle of Gods.

kamehahaha
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kamehahaha » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:52 pm

alakazam^ wrote:

To me, it feels like Super starts no more than 6 months after the fight with Boo. That's wrong, but that's what it feels like.