"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat May 14, 2016 3:21 pm

Sonicjamareiz wrote:"Future" Trunks doesn't even makes any sense its not even the present time's future anymore. The "Future" Trunks from the Cell arc before he went back the first time shouldn't even exist anymore. It's also not even a alternate time line anymore its an alternate dimension. Unless this "Future" Trunks is the future of the current kid Trunks then it would make a little more sense now. :problem:
Well he could still count as "Future" Trunks since his time line/reality is ahead of our heroes one.

For example the Maestro is a future version of the hulk yet he comes from a future that may never exist in the primary marvel universe, that doesn't stop him being a future hulk.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sat May 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
Sonicjamareiz wrote:"Future" Trunks doesn't even makes any sense its not even the present time's future anymore. The "Future" Trunks from the Cell arc before he went back the first time shouldn't even exist anymore. It's also not even a alternate time line anymore its an alternate dimension. Unless this "Future" Trunks is the future of the current kid Trunks then it would make a little more sense now. :problem:
Well he could still count as "Future" Trunks since his time line/reality is ahead of our heroes one.

For example the Maestro is a future version of the hulk yet he comes from a future that may never exist in the primary marvel universe, that doesn't stop him being a future hulk.

It'd be neet if he was present time's future trunks...or maybe he is the one from the cell games. This is super so who knows, they said be warned of inconsistencies already XD

I mean heck we already had 2 time traveling future trunks in Z alone. Let's just hope this one is awesome, powerfull and not a spoiled brat like present trunks is.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat May 14, 2016 3:41 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:

It'd be neet if he was present time's future trunks...or maybe he is the one from the cell games. This is super so who knows, they said be warned of inconsistencies already XD

I mean heck we already had 2 time traveling future trunks in Z alone. Let's just hope this one is awesome, powerful and not a spoiled brat like present trunks is.
If Xenoverse is anything to go by Trunks's little trips through time has splintered Universe 7 into hundreds of different timelines that need to be cleaned up, not only that he's partly responsible for freeing Demigra and and possibly bringing this Black Goku into existence.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat May 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:If Xenoverse is anything to go by Trunks's little trips through time has splintered Universe 7 into hundreds of different timelines that need to be cleaned up, not only that he's partly responsible for freeing Demigra and and possibly bringing this Black Goku into existence.
That's a lot of speculation there... we only know his name & that he is a bad guy that Trunks couldn't beat, nothing more than that.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat May 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: the name Future Trunks

He's still older than present day Trunks, so maybe either Older Trunks or just Parallel Timeline Trunks or Parallel Trunks for short?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sat May 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:

I mean heck we already had 2 time traveling future trunks in Z alone. Let's just hope this one is awesome, powerful and not a spoiled brat like present trunks is.
If Xenoverse is anything to go by Trunks's little trips through time has splintered Universe 7 into hundreds of different timelines that need to be cleaned up, not only that he's partly responsible for freeing Demigra and and possibly bringing this Black Goku into existence.[/quote]

That'd be neet, and great for xenoverse's sales :lol:
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat May 14, 2016 4:38 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:If Xenoverse is anything to go by Trunks's little trips through time has splintered Universe 7 into hundreds of different timelines that need to be cleaned up, not only that he's partly responsible for freeing Demigra and and possibly bringing this Black Goku into existence.
That's a lot of speculation there... we only know his name & that he is a bad guy that Trunks couldn't beat, nothing more than that.
Yes that is pure speculation on my part. But its possible if Black Goku turns out to be from a different timeline to Trunks, but we will see.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sat May 14, 2016 5:00 pm

While Xenoverse prob won't be considered in development of the plot, Trunks does look a bit older than his Xenoverse variant. So it's likely whatever situation he's in takes place after he's paid his dues in the Time Patrol. I don't really think it's going to matter or affect the plot at hand eitehr way, even though Toriyama did specifically create the Time Patrol concept as well as a lot of the story that went along with it in DBO.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat May 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:I don't really think it's going to matter or affect the plot at hand eitehr way, even though Toriyama did specifically create the Time Patrol concept as well as a lot of the story that went along with it in DBO.
No. He spent 5 years doing designs and had to sign off on everything else, but there aren't any sources saying Toriyama contributed anything to the plot of DBO. Until otherwise stated somewhere, all plot elements should be attributed to the developers.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 14, 2016 5:21 pm

In Dragon Ball Online we see that Bardock cared for his son, so it isn't something from Dragon Ball Minus. It could mean that Akira Toriyama was at least involved in the plot/characters' personalities at some extent.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat May 14, 2016 5:43 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:It'd be neet if he was present time's future trunks...or maybe he is the one from the cell games. This is super so who knows, they said be warned of inconsistencies already XD

I mean heck we already had 2 time traveling future trunks in Z alone. Let's just hope this one is awesome, powerfull and not a spoiled brat like present trunks is.
We know he's the same Trunks from the Cell arc.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sat May 14, 2016 5:56 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote:I don't really think it's going to matter or affect the plot at hand eitehr way, even though Toriyama did specifically create the Time Patrol concept as well as a lot of the story that went along with it in DBO.
No. He spent 5 years doing designs and had to sign off on everything else, but there aren't any sources saying Toriyama contributed anything to the plot of DBO. Until otherwise stated somewhere, all plot elements should be attributed to the developers.
A lot of the shit we see in Super and the previous two movies the series is based on was a lot of that as well, however. The concepts of Super Saiyan God and Beerus weren't even created by Toriyama initially, and even this recent Future Trunks plotline is something that Toriyama has stated to be a suggestion from an editor. Toriyama is already doing a lot of signing off with the franchise.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sat May 14, 2016 7:03 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:It'd be neet if he was present time's future trunks...or maybe he is the one from the cell games. This is super so who knows, they said be warned of inconsistencies already XD

We know he's the same Trunks from the Cell arc.

But this is super. maybe they think kid trunks is that same trunks . I don't put anything past these guys after a ray gun almost killed goku...

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:37 pm

Arale's appearance was too damn short, like only 2 seconds lol :eh:

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sat May 14, 2016 9:16 pm

danielsan_190196 wrote:Arale's appearance was too damn short, like only 2 seconds lol :eh:
I already expected something like that. She wasn't mentioned by any summaries or previews. We only knew she'd be in the episode due to the VA's blog listing her appearance in it.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat May 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:and even this recent Future Trunks plotline is something that Toriyama has stated to be a suggestion from an editor.
That's not correct. Toriyama said he came up with the story himself, based on a suggestion - that could be simply "hey, why don't you use Future Trunks again?". He never stated the plotline isn't his'.

Toriyama basically redone BoG from scratch. RoF was all his, same for the Champa arc, as far as we know.
You can't be seriously comparing those situations to products where he was only a supervisor giving out "okays" and had no other input confirmed.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat May 14, 2016 10:32 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
I used the Waybackmachine awhile ago and found interviews with the developers from the the old official DBO site saying that Toriyama did have involvement between the Korean and Japanese studios, but I don't remember if they specifically stated what he did. I can imagine he had some sort of involvement in the story and timeline.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:59 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Alruneia wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:Ssj4 is the oure saiyan only form and heroes changed that.
It was never stated that SS4 is a pure Saiyan-only form. Vegeta-Baby couldn't turn into a Super Saiyan 4 because of the Tsufruian cells mixing with Saiyan cells, but that doesn't mean that the Earthling cells would have the same effect.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the reason why Vegeta-Baby didn't turn into a Super Saiyan 4 was that the Golden Oozaru had to become "aware" to transform, just like what happened to Goku, but since Baby was in control, not Vegeta, the body wasn't and couldn't become "aware".
I can't check at the moment, but I don't recall such a thing in the original Japanese version. Maybe what you recall was a dub line?
Bulma and Vegeta talk about SSj4 and one of them says Baby couldn't do it because his cells were mutating Vegeta and making him not a natural saiyan.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 15, 2016 3:12 am

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Bulma and Vegeta talk about SSj4 and one of them says Baby couldn't do it because his cells were mutating Vegeta and making him not a natural saiyan.
They probably meant he was becoming artificial like Baby.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 15, 2016 7:31 am

sintzu wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Visiting Planet Sadla would be so much fun. I've almost lost hope that it'll happen though.
They wouldn't have brought it up as much as they did if they weren't going to do something later down the line.
Yeah it looks likely, Toriyama did say they'll finally depart this universe that hasn't happened yet.