"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by kinisking » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:11 pm

HeroR wrote:
King Jacku wrote:I'm gonna make a guess, and say that the Future Trunks wanking is gonna be ridiculous, since he is very popular. Watch him come back, and BECAUSE he's been "training", he's somehow the 3rd strongest now, above Gotenks and Gohan.
Even if we pretend Trunks somehow reached Super Saiyan 3, something that not even Vegeta achieved, he would still be weaker than Gohan who has been training so his Ultimate form should be access again and weaker than a fusion like Gotenks. If anything, the summary seems to suggest that Trunks is not much stronger than he was during Cell Saga. Keep in mind, that saga was the break off point for many characters like Piccolo with only Goku and Vegeta becoming stronger than Perfect Cell and Super Perfect Cell, and even then their power were still somewhat compatible to Super Saiyan 2 Gohan. Trunks will also have no reason to go beyond Super Saiyan 2 since he never fought Buu, as far as we know.
Vegeta might be smart but he's always the weakest out of the saiyans when comparing to how much he trains so that doesnt mean much. Also, no way that Gohan has mystic again at this point.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope Trunks becomes a SSjG or goes SSjB because people will just bitch about how he useless against Goku and Vegeta just like people are with Piccolo, Gotenks and Gohan :roll: .
I want the internet to burn, so I want Trunks to be many times weaker than Gohan. The idea that 'wuss' Gohan can clean 'badass' Future Trunks clock will cause the forums to explode.
kinking wrote: Vegeta might be smart but he's always the weakest out of the saiyans when comparing to how much he trains so that doesnt mean much. Also, no way that Gohan has mystic again at this point.
And how do you know that? At least eight months past since the end of the Resurrection 'F' Saga and the Champa Saga, and we don't know how much time past between the Champa Saga and the Future Trunks Saga. So why wouldn't Gohan recaptured his former power at the very least. Also, Vegeta and Trunks were more or less equals in the Cell Games. Trunks only had the edge because he went Ultra Super Saiyan that made him slow as a snail. Only present Trunks have been presented as a prodigy and he's actually stronger than Future Trunks at the same age. Future Trunks has never been called a genius and he never did anything that impressive power-wise compared to the other Saiyans, outside of Ultra Super Saiyan, which actually shows how he fails as a warrior compared to Goku and Vegeta.
Last edited by HeroR on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:14 pm

kinisking wrote:
HeroR wrote:
King Jacku wrote:I'm gonna make a guess, and say that the Future Trunks wanking is gonna be ridiculous, since he is very popular. Watch him come back, and BECAUSE he's been "training", he's somehow the 3rd strongest now, above Gotenks and Gohan.
Even if we pretend Trunks somehow reached Super Saiyan 3, something that not even Vegeta achieved, he would still be weaker than Gohan who has been training so his Ultimate form should be access again and weaker than a fusion like Gotenks. If anything, the summary seems to suggest that Trunks is not much stronger than he was during Cell Saga. Keep in mind, that saga was the break off point for many characters like Piccolo with only Goku and Vegeta becoming stronger than Perfect Cell and Super Perfect Cell, and even then their power were still somewhat compatible to Super Saiyan 2 Gohan. Trunks will also have no reason to go beyond Super Saiyan 2 since he never fought Buu, as far as we know.
Vegeta might be smart but he's always the weakest out of the saiyans when comparing to how much he trains so that doesnt mean much. Also, no way that Gohan has mystic again at this point.
Hard to say but they did start drawing him with fully outlined eyes again in episode 43 if that means anything.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Now, don't you think it's a little bit too early to start complaining? We barely have anything about the story and you guys already sound like you've been let down.

Although I have to add, Future Bulma dying to save Trunks would be some serious fucking feels.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Nekis13 wrote:Now, don't you think it's a little bit too early to start complaining? We barely have anything about the story and you guys already sound like you've been let down.

Although I have to add, Future Bulma dying to save Trunks would be some serious fucking feels.
Maybe again super hasn't done anything to avoid/ lower the doubts and negativity really.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:15 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Nekis13 wrote:Now, don't you think it's a little bit too early to start complaining? We barely have anything about the story and you guys already sound like you've been let down.

Maybe again super hasn't done anything to avoid/ lower the doubts and negativity really.
It doesn't help that a huge chunk of the show was spent retelling two movies with largely closed off plots and then a tournament that felt more like a brief introduction than anything. It's easy to understand why people are quick to judge but given the producer's comments there's a chance this will be the lengthy, tension-filled story fans have been waiting for.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Dragonball needs to go the Digimon adventure route and have Gogeta start beating the villian and who ever he can't beat he gets help with.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:02 pm

To add to the positivity, I'M SUPER FUCKING STOKED FOR THIS!

I'm really curious how Trunks + Mai happens. So many possibilities and many of them kind of creep me out but I guess we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

I'm thinking Trunks travels back in time when his time is threatened by "Black", but this "Black" is able to follow his time machine through space and time. The fuel that is needed by the time machine is somehow more plentiful in this alternate Present. "Black" and Goku (alternate Present) fight and Goku loses (SHOCKING!) and Black fuses with Goku for more power. Trunks manages to escape this alternate Present and travels to the Dragon Ball Super Present which couldn't possibly result in failure by asking Goku for help again...

So yeah, if you think about it, Trunks' answer to everything is "ask Goku for help". The Androids kill everyone, Trunks goes back in time to cure Goku's heart virus and ask him for help. "Black" kills everyone, so Trunks goes back in time to ask Goku for help. Black absorbs Goku and becomes an evil Goku, so Trunks goes to another timeline to ask Goku for help.

But I'm really looking forward to this arc... it's intriguing. Hopefully "Black" is a totally new character and not Demigra. Maybe inspired by Demigra in some ways but made a separate entity to distinguish the TV show from the video games?

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:16 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote:To add to the positivity, I'M SUPER FUCKING STOKED FOR THIS!

I'm really curious how Trunks + Mai happens. So many possibilities and many of them kind of creep me out but I guess we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

I'm thinking Trunks travels back in time when his time is threatened by "Black", but this "Black" is able to follow his time machine through space and time. The fuel that is needed by the time machine is somehow more plentiful in this alternate Present. "Black" and Goku (alternate Present) fight and Goku loses (SHOCKING!) and Black fuses with Goku for more power. Trunks manages to escape this alternate Present and travels to the Dragon Ball Super Present which couldn't possibly result in failure by asking Goku for help again...

So yeah, if you think about it, Trunks' answer to everything is "ask Goku for help". The Androids kill everyone, Trunks goes back in time to cure Goku's heart virus and ask him for help. "Black" kills everyone, so Trunks goes back in time to ask Goku for help. Black absorbs Goku and becomes an evil Goku, so Trunks goes to another timeline to ask Goku for help.

But I'm really looking forward to this arc... it's intriguing. Hopefully "Black" is a totally new character and not Demigra. Maybe inspired by Demigra in some ways but made a separate entity to distinguish the TV show from the video games?
Hm, considering that "Black" seems to be separate from Goku Black. I feel like Future Goku tries to intervene and help Trunks, only to get forced into a fusion before he could do something. Although another Alternate Goku would add up to the "confusing" aspect Toriyama talked about.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

NothiaBlue

Post by NothiaBlue » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:17 pm

A change of tone certainly is welcome, I just hope it's not a drastic point of no return to the slice of life/funny moments.

Since it was pointed out a while ago that the earring is similar to Demigra's, they also have some focus on them; I don't think they'd have it gleam if it wasn't some kind of important.
And I wouldn't mind Demigra showing up. He's got ambitions (and power+potential) big enough to cause the alarm Zeno and Beerus, considering he wants to rewrite time in his image and make himself a god. But I guess the question there is "how does Black have anything to do with that" other than a distraction/possible distortion of time.

I'm really interested to see how this turns out, and am mostly optimistic, though the only thing I can see ruining this for me is Trunks X Mai. That's like the worst thing this arc can do.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:34 pm

NothiaBlue wrote:A change of tone certainly is welcome, I just hope it's not a drastic point of no return to the slice of life/funny moments.

Since it was pointed out a while ago that the earring is similar to Demigra's, they also have some focus on them; I don't think they'd have it gleam if it wasn't some kind of important.
And I wouldn't mind Demigra showing up. He's got ambitions (and power+potential) big enough to cause the alarm Zeno and Beerus, considering he wants to rewrite time in his image and make himself a god. But I guess the question there is "how does Black have anything to do with that" other than a distraction/possible distortion of time.

I'm really interested to see how this turns out, and am mostly optimistic, though the only thing I can see ruining this for me is Trunks X Mai. That's like the worst thing this arc can do.
And hopefully with this change in tone comes a change in Goku. I've had it up to here with his 100x childish nature, so hopefully with the threat comes the Goku we got in Dragon Ball Z.

And I completely agree with the Demigra situation. I thought he was a creative looking villain that posed a threat. I'm all up for him returning in Super. He's far more intimidating than any of the Universe 6 warriors and his two sidekicks were awesome. Having Dabura's sister canon to the story will be interesting.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:44 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
NothiaBlue wrote:A change of tone certainly is welcome, I just hope it's not a drastic point of no return to the slice of life/funny moments.

And hopefully with this change in tone comes a change in Goku. I've had it up to here with his 100x childish nature, so hopefully with the threat comes the Goku we got in Dragon Ball Z.

And I completely agree with the Demigra situation. I thought he was a creative looking villain that posed a threat. I'm all up for him returning in Super. He's far more intimidating than any of the Universe 6 warriors and his two sidekicks were awesome. Having Dabura's sister canon to the story will be interesting.
DB Goku>>>>Z Goku

And Z Goku was a still a manchild

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:54 pm

It's posible Bulma was just thinking of him going to the past, reviving Goku and ask for his help again, she doesn't need to know he revived.
B wrote:And, speaking of executive meddling, there's only enough fuel for a one-way trip. I'm looking far down the line here, but that would mean Trunks can't go back to his own History or see his "real" mother again. That would mean that the popular, fan-favorite, totally-gonna-sell-lots-of-merch Future Trunks character has to live in the Super AGE forever, and be apart of the story forever. It might be too early to be that cynical about it; the time machine could recharge, or Super's Bulma could build another one. But it suspiciously seems set up so one of the most popular characters has a reason to stick around. I don't go looking to be a downer but they... keep giving off signals that make me feel down. Almost nothing, including Mai and Black, feels like a decision that would benefit the narrative. But I guess we must wait and see.
The Super Dragon Balls can surely take him back home. Or properly travelling as a Time Patroller :thumbup:

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:42 pm

alakazam^ wrote:The Super Dragon Balls can surely take him back home. Or properly travelling as a Time Patroller :thumbup:
Yeah, i doubt Future Trunks will stick around in definitive. That wouldn't make any sense.
Amazing how quick some people can be to put a negative spin on everything.

And speaking of "executive meddling", how many times Toriyama had to change his manga due to editors making requests, again? His editors decided a huge part of what we know as Dragon Ball. I think he actually has a lot more free reign since BoG..they pretty much let him get away with anything now.
If that's a good or a bad thing is a different matter, but still, certainly seems like that.
Vados_chan wrote:DB Goku>>>>Z Goku

And Z Goku was a still a manchild
What? How dare you!!

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:13 am

Is anyone else thinking that with Future Trunks coming, that he and Gohan could become fusion partners and form Gohanks, I mean once Future Trunks learns about the fusion dance, I could see him suggesting him and Gohan teaming up, like Kid Trunks and Goten.

worrior_v1
Not-So-Newbie

Post by worrior_v1 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:43 am

Maybe Episode 47 will not be about trunks returning to the Super timeline.........maybe it will just showcase trunks trying to escape Black and Black rampaging his world? And the end of the episode he escapes with bulma dying..?

Episode 48 probs when trunks meets goku and the z fighters.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:55 am

alakazam^ wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Saying the writer is right by default is bull for me. By that logic any person in-charge of anything is always right just by virtue of being the guy in-charge. Your further comment that complaining about this stuff is pointless is precisely my issue with this mentality. By that logic, anyone complaining about any guy who's in-charge and who has the final say in anything is pointless. I don't care if Toriyama is the original creator, I don't care if he's the guy who's ideas come to life, if its a bad or poorly executed one, I will call it that and maintain it shouldn't have been done like that. Just as I'll readily defend an idea or execution of an idea of his that's properly done.
But complaining IS pointless. It achieves nothing and exposes everyone to unneeded negativity. I'm talking about a mangaka and a quirky story he came up with, not a CEO of a company or the President of a country.

How has you being "The resident president of the Super bitching fan club 5 years running with a major in bitchology" improved your life? Does it make you happier? I'm gonna guess no. You see? Complaining is a waste of time, episode 5 still exists.
What you're basically saying at this point is that we're not allowed to criticize things, which is total bullshit. Also I guess if the creator is always right, I guess that means Bubsy 3D was an amazing video game and we "don't have the right to judge whether it was a good decision or not". Get off you high horse, man.
JulieYBM wrote:You know what Otaku did when they didn't like the ending of Shin Seiki Evangelion? They created doujinshi. Fan comics and parodies from Japan are a huge industry with a large number of talented artists. When they don't like something or think they have something to add they will actually go out and add. The strength of western fandom in that regard is infantile. That's a shame.
There's plenty of great fan comics and fanfics around the web. Maybe not to the extent of the ones in Japan, but anime and manga are Japanese products, so that's to be expected. Me and a group of friends are actually trying to do a Dragon Ball fanmanga about a group of original characters in the DB universe, and have have shared thoughts on a re-edited version of Super that changes some things in the series we took issue with. Only reason we don't have much is because we're a group of four untrained dorks who have too much shit on their hands already.
namekiansaiyan wrote:if Mai plays a big role compared to others I will also quit because she is a character no one cares about. So I hope that comment is exaggerated.
I care about Mai. I hope she does get a major role. That could be really cool, if they don't fuck it up.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:39 am

miguelnuva1 wrote:Dragonball needs to go the Digimon adventure route and have Gogeta start beating the villian and who ever he can't beat he gets help with.
I really want a villain in Super that Goku just can't beat so he HAS to fuse with Vegeta into either Gogeta or Vegetto to beat him and that villain is still a good match for the fusion.
This could be a good way to delay them getting stronger than Beerus too while still having a villain that could beat Beerus, have the fusion be stronger than Beerus but individually they are still far away from his level.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:52 am

TekTheNinja wrote:What you're basically saying at this point is that we're not allowed to criticize things, which is total bullshit. Also I guess if the creator is always right, I guess that means Bubsy 3D was an amazing video game and we "don't have the right to judge whether it was a good decision or not". Get off you high horse, man.
I have no idea what you're talking about and no, that's not what I said at all.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:45 am

Imagine if Goku just fuses with Evil Goku with the other potara earring. In doing so defeating Evil Goku. Goku becomes like Vegeta more prideful, bashful and less like a pure of heart man child. Giving the casual fans a new character to love aside from Brolly.
The end.
Last edited by DBZimran on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.