"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 am

Cetra wrote:
Michsi wrote:No slit pupils :( The form loses roughly 25% od its appeal to me. Other than that, NEP looks great, and I think the animation will be great too. Hopefully they'll keep it up for the entirety of the special. A bit surprised they didn't show a quick frame or two of the other character; maybe this means both episodes are almost exclusively Goku vs Jiren.
There were never slit pupils in the first place. That was the drawn white reflection in the eyes just giving the pupils a thinner look.
I was always aware of that probability (think I even mentioned that when the first image appeared) but I still hoped. It just looked cooler like that. It gave the silver-grey eyes and the entire aura of the form an extra "flavor". It also made him look a little more menacing. Oh well....

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 am

So people live streaming the OP special seemed to be complaining that it felt like there was a commercial break every 5 mins...hopefully the same happens next week and serves people right for watching the crappy live stream!

NEP looks great. Goku's hair seems to have more tints of silver in motion.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:55 am

Jigurashi wrote:
The earthlings were also stronger and faster than Goku was when they took on those masters. I mean seriously. Goku trained with Karin when he was 12, Ten, Yamcha, and Kuririn don't train with Karin until 3 years later, where they'd all far surpassed the Goku that trained with Karin. Goku trains with Kami when he's 15 and just beat Daimao. The earthlings train with him 5 years after the 23rd Budokai. It's the same with Kaio, they were stronger when training with Kaio than when Goku spent time training with him. When actually training under the same master at the same time (Goku and Kuririn with Roshi where the gap between Goku and Kuririn wasn't all that big yet), by the time of the 21st Budokai, that gap widened quite a bit.

With all this said, it's just breaking down how it goes down, not necessarily disagreeing with what you're saying. The problem is, when you get to Kaio, the humans and Piccolo fail to learn what Goku learned from Kaio. From that point onward, they are unable of keeping up, especially when Kaioken becomes obsolete when Goku gets SSJ, then comes SSJ2, SSJ3, SSJG, SSJB, and now finally with SSJB, Kaioken is finally a thing again. Even then, apparently Goku's getting a new form where that's going to likely make SSJBKK irrelevant.
What you point out is true but not to every character. Look at Yamcha, for instance, when he becomes a Turtle student both Kuririn and Goku already have 5 years (was it five at the time? I think so) worth of training and he had to catch up the most. Regardless of that, they all did. That`s the pattern Toryama used to make them relevant.

As for Kaio, you have to try to fail :) Goku was taught the Kaioken especifically to deal with the Saiyans (his physiology may have something to do with it but I don`t recall if there was a particular line about it other than Kaio himself saying he could never master his own move). By the time any of the others finish their training they leave the former Saiyan ceiling on the ground. All Yamcha had to do was train three more years on his own to be mistaken for Goku by the time he was reaching Namek to fight Freeza.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:15 am

Totamo wrote:What? The only time they surpass Goku was in the saiyan saga and nappa still made them like like fodder. But you are right, i should have said impactful gains.Unless you are talking about the anime
They always had the tendency of getting bigger or faster gains from Goku`s previous masters than he does in his respective time. Of course part of that is that the characters were equally stronger than Goku by the time he had those teachers but that is the general trend. The Sayan Saga is the most explicit case because for the first time you have actual power readings in the manga as part of the plot.

Not all characters started with the same platheu of training, even. Yamcha with late Turtle training (22nd and up) was able to be competitive with Tenshinhan and be called an equal by Kuririn who had close to a decade of training under Roshi at the time. Toryama never shied in making characters relevant whether they were supposedly behind or not because pattern. Look at the recent case with Roshi who had been retired for decades.
Totamo wrote:and no it doesn't make 2 characters relevant. It makes an entirely new character.
This is semantics to me, no offense. Any gain the two characters get will expecility work for their fusion and any especific fusion being relevant makes by proxis the two characters relevant in a possible plot setting. Not to mention the characters involved are important in detailing how the new character will act and sound.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 am

Chuquita wrote:Having just seen the One Piece double episode (which was story-boarded incredibly well!); I hope Super's double episode isn't that full of reused flashbacks from earlier in the series. Yikes.

I mean with One Piece it makes sense; that many flashbacks do double-duty by being both a time-saver for the main duel and by tugging at viewers emotionally, but this tournament arc of Super has nothing that can compare to Sanji vs Luffy on that emotional level.

And then there's my vague hope that One Piece's special being so full of already-animated flashbacks means that Super's got some extra help on its special instead; but then, I feel like OP's special was the original plan and Super got one by proxy, so...I don't know.
I don't know why you're worried. It's one piece, flashbacks clogging up the fight is a meme by this point
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:19 am

Kanassa wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Having just seen the One Piece double episode (which was story-boarded incredibly well!); I hope Super's double episode isn't that full of reused flashbacks from earlier in the series. Yikes.

I mean with One Piece it makes sense; that many flashbacks do double-duty by being both a time-saver for the main duel and by tugging at viewers emotionally, but this tournament arc of Super has nothing that can compare to Sanji vs Luffy on that emotional level.

And then there's my vague hope that One Piece's special being so full of already-animated flashbacks means that Super's got some extra help on its special instead; but then, I feel like OP's special was the original plan and Super got one by proxy, so...I don't know.
I don't know why you're worried. It's one piece, flashbacks clogging up the fight is a meme by this point
Plus the manga version of that fight had flashbacks too, while Dragon Ball in general rarely used them. In the entire TOP, only Frost of all people got a flashback.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 am

The NEP looks stunning and Goku's new form looks wonderful.

I can't wait for next week.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:35 am

Lord Beerus wrote:The NEP looks stunning and Goku's new form looks wonderful.

Forget Goku's new form I can't wait for next week for the NEP for episode 111 to see the much more anticipated fight of Hit vs Jiren.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:39 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:

Forget Goku's new form I can't wait for next week for the NEP for episode 111 to see the much more anticipated fight of Hit vs Jiren.
I also can't wait for that one sided ass kicking intense battle between two strong fighters.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:45 am

DainIronfoot wrote:New NEP for the special, looks great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oig-T3Z ... e=youtu.be
Nice Animation ~~~ Again this fight is Not my Bag-of-Hype, but I hope for those that it IS for get what they been waiting for.

Hopefully the New Form and the Battle makes sense and leads to something interesting and new.

I wondering what the Rest of the Fighters are doing during this episode, do they have any spotlight or is it mainly just mostly Goku-v-Jiren, that is my Interesting Bag-of-Hype, how does the ToP go forward after this display. :think:

Also the Conclusion to the Ribrianne-v-Goku fight, that is a Must Know for me! ;)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 am

Just to let all the people who watch the show on FUNimationNow know, the episodes will be one double length episode on FUNiNow rather than two episodes. This will probably be how the dub for the episodes will turn out too, as one big episode rather than two, but Crunchyroll's simulcast will have them split into two. This happened with the One Piece special this week so it'll be the same for Super next week
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:

I cosign this because they basically told us already what lt is happening with Jiren vs Goku, I'm actually more hype for what happens after.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 am

The next three epiosdes are not going to be fights, there going to be massacres. Watching that that silver eyed saiyan and his poncey assassin friend get beaten into bloody pulps is going to keep me very amused.

Jiren - "I know what your thinking, your thinking "If I die I can get away from him". Well let me tell you something, son. When your spirit is floating down that tunnel towards the light, you know what's behind the light? It's not God, it's me. And I'm gonna kick your poncey soul all the way back down the tunnel 'til you choke on your own ****** up ribs".

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:37 am

It's about damn time we got a teaser. Goku's new form looks really slick, and hopefully we get to see it in action for more than a second. Based off of episode title spoilers for episodes 111 and beyond, I think we will get to see the new form in action in episode 110. What happens to Goku after that is yet to be revealed, though.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Geraldix

Post by Geraldix » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:43 am

A thought: if the origin of Goku's new form is akin to Trunks' power up (Genki Dama absorption), could it be that what has been shown to us far is only a part of the real deal? Maybe that is only Genki Dama Base Goku, and he will actually go GDSSJ, GDSSJG or GDSSJB at some point?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:

Nice Animation ~~~ Again this fight is Not my Bag-of-Hype, but I hope for those that it IS for get what they been waiting for.

Hopefully the New Form and the Battle makes sense and leads to something interesting and new.

I wondering what the Rest of the Fighters are doing during this episode, do they have any spotlight or is it mainly just mostly Goku-v-Jiren, that is my Interesting Bag-of-Hype, how does the ToP go forward after this display. :think:

Also the Conclusion to the Ribrianne-v-Goku fight, that is a Must Know for me! ;)

Actually I don't remember where I read it but I think I remember reading Goku asking Zeno for a 1 on 1 fight against Jiren with no interruptions in one of the episode synopsis.

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:14 am

Geraldix wrote:A thought: if the origin of Goku's new form is akin to Trunks' power up (Genki Dama absorption), could it be that what has been shown to us far is only a part of the real deal? Maybe that is only Genki Dama Base Goku, and he will actually go GDSSJ, GDSSJG or GDSSJB at some point?
He already did that [as a SSJ] in the movies, against super android 13. Really clueless as to what this new form is going to be, altho not counting the genkidama absorption out.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:24 am

I dont think GD has anything to do with this form, its probably not even a form for all we know, it could be a technique that just turns his eyes gray and makes his hair slit up, but I wouldnt be bothered that much if it does end up with him absorbing GD, its not like Goku cant use GD over and over if he wants to.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:41 am

Kinokima wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:

Actually I don't remember where I read it but I think I remember reading Goku asking Zeno for a 1 on 1 fight against Jiren with no interruptions in one of the episode synopsis.
I have hear of that as well Kinokima, I thought it was U11 Belmod that might of asked for that but Goku makes sense too.

It be interesting to have such a fight cause it will leave little doubt on who is the best at that moment, maybe it will to lead to the other fighters to pause for a moment to see this and they re-affirm their strategy going forward, their is allot that can be done with this if used right. It be more useful use of time then just straight fighting the whole time, Character and Tactical-Ring Development, THAT would be cool to see.

To me what the other Fighters do with this and going forward is going to be one of the more interesting Developments going forward if Toei Does this. :thumbup:
My #1 in DB!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:51 am

Chuquita wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
Chuquita wrote:This tournament is all about fights getting interrupted (I'm still not going to get to see how 17 vs Ribrianne or Vegeta vs Hit would've ended, am I?) so I wouldn't be surprised if Gokû vs Jiren is interrupted by someone.
My Hope is that after this special we may get a conclusion to 17 vs. Ribrianne, we have to wait and see, but I would not get to ahead yet, that and Hit vs. Vegeta might still happen, who Knows. :thumbup:
I really want to see the conclusion of 17 vs Ribrianne. They bounced off each other very well. 17's witty in response to her, but Goku's only confused about her attacks so it's not on the same level; I had more fun watching Ribrianne fight 17.
Indeed Chuquita their fight was fun and I feel to that rivalry was not properly concluded. :thumbup:

This would also be a way to show more truly what Ribrianne's True ablity/power level is cause while the Goku Fight with her was good, it was not at the levels it should be, 17 brings that out better.

What matters the most to Me in the ToP Arc Right now is Ribrianne Being in the ToP for a good time to come after this Special, how her and Universe 2 go forward in showing they are one of the Best and in that get more Characters and Universe Development for as many to them as possible.
My #1 in DB!