"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:25 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
These guys have to produce that 2nd video ASAP.

Also, even if it ends, it may have a name change (like DB did with Z)
That's been my expectation ever since speculation started that Super could end in March, if it ends it's just going to be replaced by a sequel series the very next week.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:26 am

sintzu wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:These guys have to produce that 2nd video ASAP.

Also, even if it ends, it may have a name change (like DB did with Z).
Wouldn't an official get in trouble for saying something that big in a small interview ?

That's the most likely case but even then I don't think they'll end it just after 100 episodes. For one all their marketing is branded under Super's name so a name change would mean they'd have to start rebranding everything. With too many shows they could start confusing the general audience which won't be good for business. Then again, they could go the power ranger route and have a new show every 100 episodes.
I dont think he's been series director for a while.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:30 am

ArchedThunder wrote:That's been my expectation ever since speculation started that Super could end in March, if it ends it's just going to be replaced by a sequel series the very next week.
Why do that this soon ? DB was renamed to Z because at the time Toriyama didn't think he'd continue for much longer so they wanted to hype things up, we know for a fact that DB will be around for many years to come. One Piece has been going on for 800+ episodes with no name change so why Super ? I really hope we don't end up with 7 or more different DB shows.
I dont think he's been series director for a while.
Even so, saying something like that is surely going to get him into trouble. That would be like someone at Marvel saying the MCU will be rebooted after Avengers 4 in some random interview.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:33 am

sintzu wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:That's been my expectation ever since speculation started that Super could end in March, if it ends it's just going to be replaced by a sequel series the very next week.
Why do that this soon ? DB was renamed to Z because at the time Toriyama didn't think he'd continue for much longer so they wanted to hype things up, we know for a fact that DB will be around for many years to come. One Piece has been going on for 800+ episodes with no name change so why Super ? I really hope we don't end up with 7 or more different DB shows.
A name change could represent a big change in the show, like going past EoZ or something.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:04 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:I'm thinking the TOP ending makes sense, but not all of Super.
This is a good point as the tournament AND slice of life episodes after could go on till the end of March with a new arc starting in April
pacz360 wrote:So nothing about super ending in March :think:
No and thank god for that. Anything less than 200 episodes is too short for something I've waited years for. The current arc has been a mixed bag for me so the last thing I want is it ending this way.
These guys have to produce that 2nd video ASAP.

Also, even if it ends, it may have a name change (like DB did with Z)
What would be the point in that?
It would be a completely pointless act.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
sintzu wrote:
A name change could represent a big change in the show, like going past EoZ or something.
I still desperately want that, so I hope so.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:22 am

Pkjoan wrote: 5)They said they'll like Piccolo, Gohan and Pan having the main character role
Yes, please! Pretty please!

At the very least this indicates that there isn't a Goku & Vegeta exclusive mentality going around.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:26 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: What would be the point in that?
It would be a completely pointless act.
To denote a change in the series?

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:52 am

Michsi wrote:
Pkjoan wrote: 5)They said they'll like Piccolo, Gohan and Pan having the main character role

At the very least this indicates that there isn't a Goku & Vegeta exclusive mentality going around.
How did I miss that? :shock: But,I would still want goku and vegeta to be around
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:55 am

Michsi wrote:

It really doesn't matter if Toriyama doesn't want to used the other characters.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:03 am

HeroR wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
Ask Ajay. It completely contradicts what Toshio and others have said fam. He's inflating the numbers.
Okay so I double checked with Ajay just now. Its more complex. What he said is not wrong but the way he said it is weird.

Not complete BS, but not made clear.
It weird how people are so quick to say the director of the series is full of BS.
Well, when you answer every question with draft and not give a yes or no answer to well ANYTHING. People question you if you actually know a thing about the show you are directing and producing.

Toyotaro doesn't do this.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:10 am

Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
Okay so I double checked with Ajay just now. Its more complex. What he said is not wrong but the way he said it is weird.

It weird how people are so quick to say the director of the series is full of BS.
Well, when you answer every question with draft and not give a yes or no answer to well ANYTHING. People question you if you actually know a thing about the show you are directing and producing.

I can understand this but at the same time...to quote what I got in my head, "A person's truth is so simple, that most ignore it to concentrate on what they think are deeper truths." Not saying you are ignoring anything but speaking generally it could be as simple as that sometimes. I have no reason to doubt him, I'm not the one that receives anything from Toriyama and if I did I wish it was that handjob.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:18 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

It really doesn't matter if Toriyama doesn't want to used the other characters.
Why you gotta rain on my parade?

I am very well aware that it all depends on Toriyama, and if anything, this shows even more that he is in charge when it comes to the story. Unless they were using his name as means to not give any direct answers.
But they said they can suggest things, so there's that.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:24 am

I was about to go on a smashing spree when I read Super could possibly end this march, glad that wasnt the case, even if that does happen its pretty damn sure DB will still continue, its too early to stop the train, DBS is in such a great place right now its like them cutting down a money making tree, no one's that stupid.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:32 am

I can't see Super ending anytime soon. It surpassed DBGT in episode count and will probably surpass DB in 2018.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:48 am

Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:

Which doesn't relate to him not knowing how much time it takes to script and animated an episode since he's directly involved in the process.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:19 am

Geekdom101 wrote:Here is my confusion.

Nowhere in this interview does it say Super "might" end in March. On the contrary, they said they don' t know how many episodes it'll be and they says Dragon Ball will continue for many years. Also, he was asked if Toriyama chooses not to continue with Super, Chioka says he's not sure. Toei intends to continue but also Toriyama's world isn't over.

So that's three points that tell me DBS is going to continue.

DrKaytos says that he was told from Mision Tokyo there is a 2nd interview where Chioka says it may end in March, but that directly contradicts what was said in the video we were provided. So this is quite confusing.

Basically, we need that 2nd interview as evidence that way Julian or Jake can translate it from the Japanese to know if Chioka actually said it "might" end. I'm thinking the TOP ending makes sense, but not all of Super.

Thanks very much for giving more insight into the interview.

I do think it is very strange that would announce at a convention when the series may end.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:28 am

HeroR wrote:
Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Which doesn't relate to him not knowing how much time it takes to script and animated an episode since he's directly involved in the process.
Chioka Kimitoshi was the series director who they had the interview with right? Thats weird, I'm sure he stopped having an active role as producer in the show by the time the FT arc rolled around.

What I'm getting at is that Chioka hasn't been series director for a good while now.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:41 am

Yeah, Chioka stopped having any involvement with the series, that we know of, that long ago. People should stop calling him series director when, well, he's not.
Kinokima wrote: I do think it is very strange that would announce at a convention when the series may end.
At a convention outside Japan.
In an interview that contradicts in some big ways a previous one they gave in the same expo.
An interview that, despite the two big news it is said to reveal, is taking this long to be uploaded and only a couple of people witnessed it.
Coming from Toei employers, the company that isn't even allowing animators to publicly reveal who did what.

Those are the facts we have, make of all that what you will.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:08 am

This interview was very weird. Not only did Toriyama-san himself say in an earlier interview hat Toei changes things when they need but - and that is my addition - it does not matter anyway if they do not change a thing about his draft for the very reason that writers still have to make up so much and invent things all by themselves about the story around that draft that not changing those few core elements is pretty insignificant in direct comparison.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"