"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Maybe King Cold will return and actually be a decent villain? :lol:
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 pm

I might get attacked for a “dumb idea”, but I really hope the fighter is Cell. As far as Goku, Vegeta and Frieza have come, he could easily become the most OP fighter in the series. Plus him and Goku never really “settled” things.

I’m a big fan of the concept of Cell, but ultimately don’t see him connected to the history of Frieza and the Saiyans.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:I might get attacked for a “dumb idea”, but I really hope the fighter is Cell. As far as Goku, Vegeta and Frieza have come, he could easily become the most OP fighter in the series. Plus him and Goku never really “settled” things.

I’m a big fan of the concept of Cell, but ultimately don’t see him connected to the history of Frieza and the Saiyans.
Just image how OP Cell would be with Whis training, ROSAT training or God ki. Considering his genetics he would be Jiren level under the right conditions.

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm leaning away from Beerus being the foe we've all been waiting for myself. Even if it does come out that he gave Freeza the thumbs up to blow up Planet Vegeta, I'm willing to bet Goku wouldn't care and at this point I think Vegeta wouldn't really care much, either. Sure, we see some interest of Vegeta wanting to go to Universe 6's Planet Sadala, but maybe more so just to see it? See what the planet could have been without the in-fighting, etc. He never really cared about any of that stuff anyway, or at least projected it that way in Z. The Beerus character would have to completely change entirely for this movie if that were the case, in my opinion anyway. He's hardly the huge risk and threat he was perceived to be in the beginning.

As far as who I think it would be, I don't see them using video game centered characters, BUT I wouldn't mind it being Towa and Mira. I believe their concept was heavily influenced by Toriyama as well, back in the conception of DBO, even going as far as to say that he created them entirely? So I wouldn't say it's entirely out of the question. We've also seen a sudden influx of Fu, another character created via DBO. I guess anything's possible. The idea of bringing in the Kaioshin of Time is also intriguing, stepping into a new realm of possibilities. We had adventures with Dragon Ball, intergalactic battles and aliens with Z, cross-universe tournaments with Super... why not have the next installment mess with time? Who knows.

I also don't see them using Cell (who is really the only real villain we haven't seen come back since we have had some sense of Majin Buu this entire time and Freeza) just because. It'd be hard to justify the why and the how when there are a ton of different possibilities that seem more likely, or just make more sense, in my opinion. They may have recycled Freeza with the movie and with this current arc, but Freeza is on a different level than Cell, imo. I just don't see them doing it a second time, is all.

It's also entirely possible and I feel more likely that we get someone brand new after getting some brief history in the actual movie itself (i.e. the Freeza and Saiyans thing could hint towards the entire history, maybe spanning all the way back to Yamoshi). If it's the original Super Saiyan / SSG, etc. then it's sort of been stuck in the back of all our heads ever since Beerus first mentioned it, so I wouldn't be surprised if the movie flows with the ending of the ToP flowing into that brief flashback of the history of the Saiyans and Freeza, moving into however that would be incorporated in the movie. They could push the whole "foe we've been waiting for" angle because it's been Beerus' namesake since BoG. Maybe we get an entirely new Time Breakers plot (bringing Towa and Mira back into things) and instead of the Masked Saiyan being Bardock (let's face it, we're never going to get a direct Bardock and Goku interaction save for the original TV Special outside of video games), it's Yamoshi?

Anything's possible, but I do know I'm looking forward to whatever they give us!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 pm

kizuki wrote:I'm leaning away from Beerus being the foe we've all been waiting for myself. Even if it does come out that he gave Freeza the thumbs up to blow up Planet Vegeta, I'm willing to bet Goku wouldn't care and at this point I think Vegeta wouldn't really care much, either. Sure, we see some interest of Vegeta wanting to go to Universe 6's Planet Sadala, but maybe more so just to see it? See what the planet could have been without the in-fighting, etc. He never really cared about any of that stuff anyway, or at least projected it that way in Z. The Beerus character would have to completely change entirely for this movie if that were the case, in my opinion anyway. He's hardly the huge risk and threat he was perceived to be in the beginning.

As far as who I think it would be, I don't see them using video game centered characters, BUT I wouldn't mind it being Towa and Mira. I believe their concept was heavily influenced by Toriyama as well, back in the conception of DBO, even going as far as to say that he created them entirely? So I wouldn't say it's entirely out of the question. We've also seen a sudden influx of Fu, another character created via DBO. I guess anything's possible. The idea of bringing in the Kaioshin of Time is also intriguing, stepping into a new realm of possibilities. We had adventures with Dragon Ball, intergalactic battles and aliens with Z, cross-universe tournaments with Super... why not have the next installment mess with time? Who knows.

I also don't see them using Cell (who is really the only real villain we haven't seen come back since we have had some sense of Majin Buu this entire time and Freeza) just because. It'd be hard to justify the why and the how when there are a ton of different possibilities that seem more likely, or just make more sense, in my opinion.

It's also entirely possible and I feel more likely that we get someone brand new after getting some brief history in the actual movie itself (i.e. the Freeza and Saiyans thing could hint towards the entire history, maybe spanning all the way back to Yamoshi). If it's the original Super Saiyan / SSG, etc. then it's sort of been stuck in the back of all our heads ever since Beerus first mentioned it, so I wouldn't be surprised if the movie flows with the ending of the ToP flowing into that brief flashback of the history of the Saiyans and Freeza, moving into however that would be incorporated in the movie. They could push the whole "foe we've been waiting for" angle because it's been Beerus' namesake since BoG. Maybe we get an entirely new Time Breakers plot (bringing Towa and Mira back into things) and instead of the Masked Saiyan being Bardock (let's face it, we're never going to get a direct Bardock and Goku interaction save for the original TV Special outside of video games), it's Yamoshi?

Anything's possible, but I do know I'm looking forward to whatever they give us!
It’s definitely time and demon realm related

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:58 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:So, is Toyotaro confirming that the manga will continue with this tweet?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yep. Even Toriyama stated the DBS comic will continue "as-is."
Wouldn't be surprised if Super anime will trail the manga in the future.
As Toyotaro stated the manga will be ahead of the anime.

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Miracles wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:So, is Toyotaro confirming that the manga will continue with this tweet?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I always felt like this was the direction they would ultimately take, instead of running at the same time.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:03 pm

kizuki wrote:
Miracles wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I always felt like this was the direction they would ultimately take, instead of running at the same time.
Me too. It would follow the flow of the early days. How TOEI used the manga to do the DBZ anime.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:05 pm

So according to Julian on the podcast the wording about the enemy could just mean that it's something Toriyama has been holding on to or just something that they aren't ready to reveal yet, not necessarily something that the audience has been waiting for.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:ZenkaiBoosts, your posts are consistently antagonistic and derailing. As you already have multiple strikes lodged against your account, I would recommend reviewing the community guidelines, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration. It would be a shame if, through your own actions and poor behavior, you were unable to continue enjoying the community and contributing your opinions as the series comes to a close.

These absurd "fanboy" callouts end here and now, and this thread returns to its intended purpose.
I never called anyone a fanboy

Again, you target me because of a personal agenda against me

Someome calls me childesh and you excuse that. You tell me that I reported in "bad faith," yet I simply say the word "Vegeta fan" and I get personally called out by you.

The user Lord Frieza comtinually posts about "Goku fanboys " and that he loves to see Goku fanboys cry...yet hes never gotten so much as a public warning

Mercenary continually mocks me, yet nothing happens to him

I'm the only one ever called out simply because I have different opinions to you

You are not consistently applying fair standards to everyone. You target me just because I have different opinions to you

How is that fair? Everyone else can see how you are always personally targeting me

I've never had any problems with any other mod here. The fact you are the only one who has such an issue with me is telling

How have I been "antaganistic." I'm in here discussing. This is a general thread about the series. Topics organically flow from one to another. How am I posting off topic? Everyone is by definition. How has Mercenray not been antagonistic toward me? You only selectively choose to enforce on people who have different views and opinions to you. From day one you targeted me and never gave me a fair shake

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:20 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:So according to Julian on the podcast the wording about the enemy could just mean that it's something Toriyama has been holding on to or just something that they aren't ready to reveal yet, not necessarily something that the audience has been waiting for.
This would make sense for Yamoshi maybe? Given Toriyama teased us about him with all that information he gave.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:47 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:I might get attacked for a “dumb idea”, but I really hope the fighter is Cell. As far as Goku, Vegeta and Frieza have come, he could easily become the most OP fighter in the series. Plus him and Goku never really “settled” things.

No ones idea is dumb: ) We are all here as Dragon Ball fans to specualate and discuss, have fun, share opinions.

For all we know it could be cell. The possibilities are endless. Its fun speculating. I love how Toriyama/Toei never fully reveal, but always give you just enough info to let you run wild with speculations lol

I'm hoping its the evil doer of U11 myself lol

On the topic of Cell. Cell saga was amazing. Cell was a great villian. SSJ2 Gohan vs Cell was such an iconic battle

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Slightly unrelated, but there's going to be a "new" villian/character that's going to appear in DB Heroes and he looks sorta like a Saiyan (his hair does anyways). There's a really small chance that the new movie foe is gonna be him since I doubt Toriyama is ever going to touch the whole Xenoverse or whatever stuff, but it's something to maybe keep an eye on.
Feels over Reals.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Miracles wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Super anime will trail the manga in the future. As Toyotaro stated the manga will be ahead of the anime.
He said that a long ago and many thought he was referencing to the FT arc, there's no way Toyotaro was thinking this much ahead in the future.
kn83 wrote:Just image how OP Cell would be with Whis training, ROSAT training or God ki. Considering his genetics he would be Jiren level under the right conditions.
You're reaching about Whis training Cell, but I do image him getting strong somehow attaining God Ki and becoming insanely strong due training like 4 months like Freeza (he also has his genes).
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 pm

RedHeat wrote:Slightly unrelated, but there's going to be a "new" villian/character that's going to appear in DB Heroes and he looks sorta like a Saiyan (his hair does anyways). There's a really small chance that the new movie foe is gonna be him since I doubt Toriyama is ever going to touch the whole Xenoverse or whatever stuff, but it's something to maybe keep an eye on.
This guy?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
If I remember correctly Fu does specifically refer to him as a Saiyan in-game.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:41 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Miracles wrote:He said that a long ago and many thought he was referencing to the FT arc, there's no way Toyotaro was thinking this much ahead in the future.
What else was Toyotaro referring to? No way a monthly manga would catch an ongoing weekly anime series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:53 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:

No ones idea is dumb: ) We are all here as Dragon Ball fans to specualate and discuss, have fun, share opinions.

For all we know it could be cell. The possibilities are endless. Its fun speculating. I love how Toriyama/Toei never fully reveal, but always give you just enough info to let you run wild with speculations lol

I'm hoping its the evil doer of U11 myself lol

On the topic of Cell. Cell saga was amazing. Cell was a great villian. SSJ2 Gohan vs Cell was such an iconic battle
The Cell arc is my 2nd favorite arc but we've already seen a past villain come back and a main character kale based off another old one so hopefully it isn't Cell or anyone old as itd be best to just introduce someone new.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 am

Assuming the movie isn't a retelling of the ToP arc, and Jiren isn't the foe, the following are the most likely adversaries for Goku that fit the bill of "long awaited":

A. Beerus - The first time they fought, Goku just learned about god ki and was unable to come close to beating a Beerus at 70% or less of his full power. There's been hints in Super of an inevitable rematch between them, and you can see the expressions of excitement and frustration in Beerus' face as Goku achieves MUI. Fans have also constantly speculated over whether Goku has surpassed him or not, so there's clearly interest.

B. Frieza - We do not know how the ToP arc will end. If Frieza gets his wish, and the show actually does end in a bit of a cliffhanger, then fans will obviously want this to be wrapped up, and for Goku to fight Frieza, which would lead to the movie.

C. Uub - This fits the bill of "long awaited" above any other character in the franchise. Fans have wanted to see an Uub by Toriyama for decades (or at least, that era of the story), and Goku himself has wanted a rematch with "Kid Buu" for years. Through Uub, we may get the return of Buu, leading to the long awaited rematch.

There hasn't been any hype surrounding any other character, as far as I'm concerned.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:40 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Assuming the movie isn't a retelling of the ToP arc, and Jiren isn't the foe, the following are the most likely adversaries for Goku that fit the bill of "long awaited":

A. Beerus - The first time they fought, Goku just learned about god ki and was unable to come close to beating a Beerus at 70% or less of his full power. There's been hints in Super of an inevitable rematch between them, and you can see the expressions of excitement and frustration in Beerus' face as Goku achieves MUI. Fans have also constantly speculated over whether Goku has surpassed him or not, so there's clearly interest.

B. Frieza - We do not know how the ToP arc will end. If Frieza gets his wish, and the show actually does end in a bit of a cliffhanger, then fans will obviously want this to be wrapped up, and for Goku to fight Frieza, which would lead to the movie.

C. Uub - This fits the bill of "long awaited" above any other character in the franchise. Fans have wanted to see an Uub by Toriyama for decades (or at least, that era of the story), and Goku himself has wanted a rematch with "Kid Buu" for years. Through Uub, we may get the return of Buu, leading to the long awaited rematch.

There hasn't been any hype surrounding any other character, as far as I'm concerned.
There is another possibility.Personally,I am going with beerus or U11 evil doer.
ArchedThunder wrote:So according to Julian on the podcast the wording about the enemy could just mean that it's something Toriyama has been holding on to or just something that they aren't ready to reveal yet, not necessarily something that the audience has been waiting for.
[spoiler]
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:ZenkaiBoosts, your posts are consistently antagonistic and derailing. As you already have multiple strikes lodged against your account, I would recommend reviewing the community guidelines, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration. It would be a shame if, through your own actions and poor behavior, you were unable to continue enjoying the community and contributing your opinions as the series comes to a close.

These absurd "fanboy" callouts end here and now, and this thread returns to its intended purpose.
I never called anyone a fanboy

Again, you target me because of a personal agenda against me

Someome calls me childesh and you excuse that. You tell me that I reported in "bad faith," yet I simply say the word "Vegeta fan" and I get personally called out by you.

The user Lord Frieza comtinually posts about "Goku fanboys " and that he loves to see Goku fanboys cry...yet hes never gotten so much as a public warning

Mercenary continually mocks me, yet nothing happens to him

I'm the only one ever called out simply because I have different opinions to you

You are not consistently applying fair standards to everyone. You target me just because I have different opinions to you

How is that fair? Everyone else can see how you are always personally targeting me

I've never had any problems with any other mod here. The fact you are the only one who has such an issue with me is telling

How have I been "antaganistic." I'm in here discussing. This is a general thread about the series. Topics organically flow from one to another. How am I posting off topic? Everyone is by definition. How has Mercenray not been antagonistic toward me? You only selectively choose to enforce on people who have different views and opinions to you. From day one you targeted me and never gave me a fair shake
VegettoEX is the most active and the most strict admin/mod.That’s known even outside of kanzenshuu.

I don’t know what bias VegettoEX has against you.Is it his username which is more than 20 years old?In fact,he isn’t the only one that has called you unless you think that everyone is wrong and only you are right.You have been left off with more warnings than most users.

At the end of the day,it’s his forum.His house his rules,don’t like it there are other forums.[/spoiler]
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:00 am

All I wish is for the opponent to be neither Freeza nor Vegeta. It can be a saiyans, it can be another member of Freeza's family. Just not them.

Vegeta will definitely have a big role in the series, but for the love of the Kais, please, please don't try to insert another conflict between him and Goku.

Also, crossing my fingers that the long-awaited angst driven interaction between Freeza and Vegeta that's been missing from the TOP arc happens here.