"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:50 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:35 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:59 am"This new division is not the only one being planned. The Television Planning group is being renamed the Planning Division Department. The group will continue work on developing television anime. Takashi Washio will remain the department’s head but will step away from his gig at the company’s Film Office."

This part is interesting if true. Surely they couldn't have made this devision to only do Heroes?
Heroes is produced by Bandai Namco.

So not by Toei for bandai? Then yeah, there will be a new TV show at some point in time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:02 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 am
Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:09 am Yeah there is literally no way a DB TV series is happening unless Toei is planning to collapse to the ground. There's 5 projects in production currently. It is kind of like 2014 all over again. Still, interested to know what will replace Kitaro though.
Which are those in production?
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:31 am Karasawa will likely be the series director for World Trigger coming up later this year.
What have they worked on before?
Karasawa was in charge of storyboarding Vegeta versus Broli and various episodes of Super.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:21 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:02 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 am
Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:09 am Yeah there is literally no way a DB TV series is happening unless Toei is planning to collapse to the ground. There's 5 projects in production currently. It is kind of like 2014 all over again. Still, interested to know what will replace Kitaro though.
Which are those in production?
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:31 am Karasawa will likely be the series director for World Trigger coming up later this year.
What have they worked on before?
Karasawa was in charge of storyboarding Vegeta versus Broli and various episodes of Super.
That's bad news for an eventual new Super anime, then...

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:36 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:16 am
Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:18 amAnyway, it amazes me how they keeps on capitalizing over that SDBH crap instead of the almost finished DBS Moro arc. All this to make the equivalent of one episode every two months.
OK it has some nice designs ( damaged zamasu and vegetto are pretty cool ) and at least one interesting concept ( the rebellion against Zeno) but that's about it. History wise it's bland and filled with bad fanservice.
And what's the point in being hyped and longing for Dragon Ball Super to come back? For more boring tournaments, crap retellings, unnecessary characters returning, wasting opportunities and etc? It amazes me that people long that much for it.

I agree the return of the Super anime does not have to become an obsession whatsoever.
It is what it is. There have been more than 20 years that passed without new DB anime or manga for me in the 90s and 2000s... and apparently ... i'm still alive after all these years.

I take it how it comes. Only a couple more movies? All right. DBS ends? All right. The anime comes back? All right.
I just think a non-return of the anime would have made slightly more sense when the manga had finished too.
The main storyline continues, but there is no animated version of it. For a franchise as big as DB this is slightly awkard to say the least.
Certainly if you see how much anime there is being made .. or should i say 'shitted'? each year. Not only by TOEI, but by other producers in Japan in general.

The fact the story continues would have been a nice opportunity to give us a descent second anime run. Without the half of it being tournaments, with good animation, writing, power scaling, brand new characters, somehow limited fanservice etc.

If they don't choose to bring the anime back, there is a marketing strategy behind this all that justifies it in terms of incoming cash-flow.
But it is what it is basically. This is not something we can choose like in a grocery story.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:58 am

Was recapping the manga really necessary? And why did they feel the need to hide it?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:11 pm

Of course there is no guarantee a new series or movie would be any good but at least it would be something to look forward to and discuss (debate) not the same old rehash of stuff over and over when it comes to figures and content coming to games.

I guess there is Heroes and the manga. Heroes plot just seems to be get as many characters together and as many transformations as possible. This is fun for games but it personally doesn’t interest me at all story wise if you can even call it a story.

I am enjoying the manga but it comes out monthly. So for a one day a month I have something to look forward to and then it’s back to nothing.

I am used to series I like never getting second seasons but those series don’t have the popularity or make money like Dragon Ball.

Also I think a wait would be easier even a long wait if I knew something was officially coming. It’s the state of limbo the series is currently in that is especially frustrating.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:26 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:58 am Was recapping the manga really necessary? And why did they feel the need to hide it?

Later this day Horikawa still has to perform his act.
All this has started with his first teases, 'maybe' something more is announced there (maybe that would make more sense than today), but i really wouldn't count on it too much.

I would have suspected Horikawas tweets 'I've had a secret gathering with TOEI but i can't tell you the contents' and 'It's been a long time' indicated there was something 'new' to say, at least about the new movie. It doesn't make much sense to adress this message to the world-wide fanbase, while there is only a very small amount of that fanbase at Jump Festa. If it were only to make promotion for the Voice Acting at the Jump Festa-panel itself.
If there isn't any news, they basically tricked us and tried to create hype for nothing, just in order to keep Super under our attention while the new movie is still being made.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Yeah a panel of just Nozawa and Horikawa reading lines from the manga is cool but not something that needs to be a “big secret”. It’s also obviously only truly special for people who are actually there.

But at this point I wouldn’t put it past Toei and Bandai to hype up the fandom for nothing.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:38 pm Yeah a panel of just Nozawa and Horikawa reading lines from the manga is cool but not something that needs to be a “big secret”. It’s also obviously only truly special for people who are actually there.

But at this point I wouldn’t put it past Toei and Bandai to hype up the fandom for nothing.

"Nothing" means "nothing for us". It's in their commercial purpose to keep 'a possible return' in our thoughts.
I don't like that strategy either, it's not a proper way to communicate with your fans IMHO, if you tease like this without actually giving new information.
But yes ... if no news is given, that's the only conclusion i can make from it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 am- more lore and world building, Gods role and hierarchy expanded, including a top chain food god,
Okay. But what "gods role"? We haven't seen Gods of Destruction doing their job that much. Beerus hasn't destroyed a single planet since he woke up. What should we say about the Kaioshins (or more appropriately, Sozoshins)? Ever since it was stated they are the Gods of Creation, nothing of sorts have been seen. Not to mention we don't know anything about them yet.
Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 am- Kibitoshin defusing
You cannot be serious. :| That's what you have been waiting for 17 years since the end of Dragon Ball GT? So you say Dragon Ball Heroes is crap but Dragon Ball Super is great because the latter defuse Kibitoshin? Good lord...

It would be the same as me saying that Dragon Ball Super is great just because it gave Super Saiyan 2 more love. No, man... This is just not how things work. This is trivial, this is petty.
Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 am- a Broly reboot in the official continuity
Jesus... :sick:
Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 am- a new Future Trunks arc involving the Kaioshins
Ah, the Future Trunks saga, the only one with a story/plot... Had so much potential...
Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 am- Freeza being a recurring character opening the door for expanding his clan lore
His "clan lore" hasn't been expanded at all other than that we learn they are also victims of recolors. Also, no, Frost didn't bring anything new to the table.
Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 am- new saiyan transformations over SSJ3 with simple and quite human design ( unlike the ridiculous SSJ4).
Yay! More Saiyan transformations that happen to be just recolors!
Kepiaschkz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 amIn a nutshell, Super gave me everything GT didn't.
And the fact that Heroes takes GT into account doesn't help me appreciating that show
Not a fan of characters from different dimension meeting each other? That's your loss, but to each their own, I guess. It's just weird that this concept is so old, so overused by the comics, yet when Dragon Ball does it, to everyone seems like a profane act. Or maybe we're still dealing with that stupid "it's not Toriyama, then it's bad" thought. I mean, to this day, a lot of people still praise recolors, Golden Freeza (hell, Movie 15 entirely) solely because of that.
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:36 amThe fact the story continues would have been a nice opportunity to give us a descent second anime run. Without the half of it being tournaments, with good animation, writing, power scaling, brand new characters, somehow limited fanservice etc.
It would be a nice opportunity only if it's their intention to come up with something different. If it's to be the same, then it's better not to come back at all.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:11 pmI guess there is Heroes and the manga. Heroes plot just seems to be get as many characters together and as many transformations as possible. This is fun for games but it personally doesn’t interest me at all story wise if you can even call it a story.
People call "tournament" a story, so I'm pretty sure going on an adventure for Dragon Balls that scatter through different dimensions and getting together characters is a story. Otherwise Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse and so many other storylines with this subject wouldn't be successful, and they are not games.
Last edited by Grimlock on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:29 am
I saw nothing spectacular about it?
I loved the colors and the shading (very 90's ) and the little animation it had looked smooth. I mean, I'm not expecting the whole show to look like that but I expect the over all style will stay the same. I liked it.
Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Okay. But what "gods role"? We haven't seen Gods of Destruction doing their job that much. Beerus hasn't destroyed a single planet since he awoke. What should we say about the Kaioshins (or more appropriately, Sozoshins)? Ever since it was stated they are the Gods of Creation, nothing of sorts have been seen. Not to mention we don't know anything about them yet.
We know their role, they're just bad at their job, which is trademark Toriyama characterization. Beerus is a lazy and uninterested, Whis is just an observer, Shin is borderline incompetent (something directly poked fun at even in the original story) DBS expanded the lore, that can't be denied. That it wasn't explored in a satisfying manner is another thing, and this might be a good chance to change that.

One of the more appealing aspects of a new show is the presumption that this time it would be planned out a bit better.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:07 pm

French Youtuber Saiyko Degin is at Jump Festa in Tokyo.
His impressions of day 1 concerning Super:

- Iyoko panel: he repeated a new movie is in the making, without revealing any further details
- VA panel: nothing concerning the future of DB was discussed

source:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:07 pm French Youtuber Saiyko Degin is at Jump Festa in Tokyo.
His impressions of day 1 concerning Super:

- Iyoko panel: he repeated a new movie is in the making, without revealing any further details
- VA panel: nothing concerning the future of DB was discussed

source:
F

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Why did they call it an "anime special stage" if it was just about the manga?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 20/.154621 Guess that will be series that will replace Kitaro? 37 volumes...if Toei is going to do full adaptation, we can probably expect 100+ episodes?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:08 pm

coola wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 pm https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 20/.154621 Guess that will be series that will replace Kitaro? 37 volumes...if Toei is going to do full adaptation, we can probably expect 100+ episodes?
Kitaro is ending in April and the new Dragon Quest anime is going debut in the fall of next year. We still don't know what will replace Kitaro.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Ugh. It makes absolutely no sense why Toei has no intention of continuing the anime, when it's been ranking in an absolute shitload of money for them.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:12 pm

Guys, we had to wait three years between the Cell and Buu arcs of Kai, so just because it isn't coming now doesn't mean we'll never see more.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:20 pm

5 hours and 11 minutes until the second Super stage.

We would have never been in this situation if they just went ahead and said it was a recap of the manga. I really can't see why Ryo felt the need to keep it a secret.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pmThat it wasn't explored in a satisfying manner is another thing, and this might be a good chance to change that.
It is another thing but precisely my point. It wasn't properly explored in a 131-episode series...
Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pmOne of the more appealing aspects of a new show is the presumption that this time it would be planned out a bit better.
I would like to be that optimist but after Dragon Ball Minus, Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Super... That presumption is a luxury I don't/can't have. I need to see it to believe it. Expectation is also something I already learned to deal, it is best to keep it as low as possible to avoid bigger disappointments.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~