"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:22 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:19 am
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 am
Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 pm

It is another thing but precisely my point. It wasn't properly explored in a 131-episode series...

I would like to be that optimist but after Dragon Ball Minus, Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Super... That presumption is a luxury I don't/can't have. I need to see it to believe it. Expectation is also something I already learned to deal, it is best to keep it as low as possible to avoid bigger disappointments.
I feel like DB Minus is mostly (not exclusively) disliked because it rewrites a beloved character. Story wise it's, well, not the best, but neither is it the worst. As for the rest. DBS was plagued with production problems and that can effect the writing as well as the animation. Toei's been doinf pretty well lately with it's recent project because it supposedly moved to a new building, improved schedules etc etc- so I'd like to think that if we would get another series it'd be better done.

As for Jump Festa, oh well. We at least got one more small confirmation that a movie is being made. That's something.

Wait, is today's jump Festa over?
That's what I understood. It's after 16:00 over in Tokyo and the last days of festivals generally don't last until late. Maybe I'm wrong.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:30 am

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:22 am
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 am

I feel like DB Minus is mostly (not exclusively) disliked because it rewrites a beloved character. Story wise it's, well, not the best, but neither is it the worst. As for the rest. DBS was plagued with production problems and that can effect the writing as well as the animation. Toei's been doinf pretty well lately with it's recent project because it supposedly moved to a new building, improved schedules etc etc- so I'd like to think that if we would get another series it'd be better done.

As for Jump Festa, oh well. We at least got one more small confirmation that a movie is being made. That's something.

That's what I understood. It's after 16:00 over in Tokyo and the last days of festivals generally don't last until late. Maybe I'm wrong.
So all Dragon ball related things were said yesterday?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:41 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:30 am

There was a stage play today as well, but yes, apparently nothing new.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:46 am

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:41 am

And we still don't know what's replacing Kitaro? When's the next big Anime con?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:52 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:46 am

Yeah, I think that's pretty much the only thing left unresolved, but this festival was for Jump properties, and nothing says that slot needs to go to one of their shows.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 am

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:52 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:46 am

Yeah, I think that's pretty much the only thing left unresolved, but this festival was for Jump properties, and nothing says that slot needs to go to one of their shows.
It'd be really strange if something completely unrelated suddenly was paired up with One Piece. Also, Goku is one of the mascots for the summer Olympics coming next year in Japan, right? To not have Dragon Ball on air for that is... Also strange.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:22 am

What a disappointment.
I don’t really get what the hell is going on with Dragon Ball Super.
It must be Toriyama’s decision as he probably hasn’t written anything new yet, because it would be silly for Toei and the other owners of DB not to capitalize on its enormous success.
It’s even weirder because the manga is currently on-going, so they could at least begin to adapt the Moro arc, even if for just 1-2 cours.

It will be very interesting to see what will happen once Moro’s arc wraps up. It will be over in a few months, but will they also put the manga on a break too? Or will it finally have a Toriyama original arc once again? Or will they keep the Toyotaro-Toriyama tag team?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:55 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:06 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 pm So why did Ryo make it seem like there was going to be some sort of announcement. I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't be able to talk about dubbing scenes that have already happened and from the looks of it no important questions were answered at all during these past two days.

And why didn't they talk about the movie? I know they're not even close to finishing, but a little bit of detail would have been nice.
He didn't. Horikawa was only ever expressing excitement for being at JUMP Festa.

If you spreak such tweets to the world, you know you create some expectations with some fans that are waiting for the return of the anime.
Then i believe the official TOEI tweet even stated to look forward to the Jump Festa panel.
Nobody thinks about the VA panel at such, but at bigger news that's about to happen.
But there wasn't the slightest news at the end.

This is no coincidence. They knew there was nothing but yet wanted to "bring" something.
So they brought up a tactic to keep DBS in our minds while the movie is still in the making.
That's what i think happened. I don't think it's completey fair to fans, from which they know very well they are waiting for some news.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:28 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:55 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:32 pm So why did Ryo make it seem like there was going to be some sort of announcement. I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't be able to talk about dubbing scenes that have already happened and from the looks of it no important questions were answered at all during these past two days.

And why didn't they talk about the movie? I know they're not even close to finishing, but a little bit of detail would have been nice.
He didn't. Horikawa was only ever expressing excitement for being at JUMP Festa.

If you spreak such tweets to the world, you know you create some expectations with some fans that are waiting for the return of the anime.
Then i believe the official TOEI tweet even stated to look forward to the Jump Festa panel.
Nobody thinks about the VA panel at such, but at bigger news that's about to happen.

This is no coincidence. They knew there was nothing but yet wanted to "bring" something.
So they brought up a tactic to keep DBS in our minds while the movie is still in the making.
That's what i think happened. I don't think it's completey fair to fans, from which they know very well they are waiting for some news.
I'm not sure how much of that was actual intent/marketing or us reading way more into it than we should've. He is allowed to hype up his presence and given that VA , especially those from DB, are something like celebrities over in Japan them performing live and reading from the manga was definitely something big for fans over there. He didn't specifically tweet anything that was directed at international fans iIrc , he just promoted his work with enthusiasm. The only thing that could be construed to be related to future work was that secret meeting with Toei, but that might as well have for the movie.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:00 am

I hope this is the case because I think it's a win-win situation. It was theorized on here a few years ago that Toei rushed the production of DBS in order to fill that important timeslot. If Toei is busy with World Trigger and Dragon Quest, they have no need to rush out another DB anime. Toriyama could come up with outlines at his leasure and the anime might be more coherent with fewer writers and less unnecessary filler the second time around. They would have two movies, Moro, and whatever else the manga has done to adapt. If Toriyama wants to continue with only movies, no loss either since his outlines seem to be more fitting told as movies. I'm someone who would prefer it ends for good but a longer wait for more coherent content is the best alternative I guess.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:16 am

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954086203044675584

This is how Kitaro was announced. In a newspaper. Hope's not over for Super.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:57 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:16 am https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954086203044675584

Could Toei realistically manage all these anime at once? I'm not aware how many of the DBS staff is currently working on One Piece and will work on World Trigger and DQ but I imagine stretching their resources across more projects isn't something that would benefit any of these anime. If World Trigger took a break for a few years, the same could happen with a more popular series like Dragonball.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:10 am

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:57 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:16 am https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954086203044675584

Could Toei realistically manage all these anime at once? I'm not aware how many of the DBS staff is currently working on One Piece and will work on World Trigger and DQ but I imagine stretching their resources across more projects isn't something that would benefit any of these anime. If World Trigger took a break for a few years, the same could happen with a more popular series like Dragonball.
We don't know if they could. What I'd find weird would to not have db on TV in 2020 because Goku is one of the mascots in the summer Olympics. Plus licensors several across the globe have been led to think the show would be out by now.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:21 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:10 amWe don't know if they could. What I'd find weird would to not have db on TV in 2020 because Goku is one of the mascots in the summer Olympics. Plus licensors several across the globe have been led to think the show would be out by now.
Astro Boy was also one of the 2020 Olympics mascots. I think they chose pop culture icons and not necessarily characters from only currently airing shows. If DBS is really returning in 2020, I don't see why they wouldn't announce it at Jump Festa. I don't remember Kitaro having a presence that year at Jump Festa before it aired but DB did on the other hand.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:37 am

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:21 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:10 amWe don't know if they could. What I'd find weird would to not have db on TV in 2020 because Goku is one of the mascots in the summer Olympics. Plus licensors several across the globe have been led to think the show would be out by now.
Astro Boy was also one of the 2020 Olympics mascots. I think they chose pop culture icons and not necessarily characters from only currently airing shows. If DBS is really returning in 2020, I don't see why they wouldn't announce it at Jump Festa. I don't remember Kitaro having a presence that year at Jump Festa before it aired but DB did on the other hand.
It did. But DB had been off air for a very long time when DBS got announced. I just personally hope it starts airing in 2020 because I always looked forward watching it together with my real life friend and I miss that. It wasn't always the best but had great entertaining value a lot of the time for me. That same excitement is not there with movies every two years.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:26 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:37 amIt did. But DB had been off air for a very long time when DBS got announced. I just personally hope it starts airing in 2020 because I always looked forward watching it together with my real life friend and I miss that. It wasn't always the best but had great entertaining value a lot of the time for me. That same excitement is not there with movies every two years.
Well there's a lot of other entertainment out there to enjoy together. If DBS does return as an anime, it won't last forever. It may not even last as long as the first DBS anime. We have no idea to be honest especially if Toriyama ends up preferring to work on movies instead. It's worth finding other content to enjoy together in case.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:37 am

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:26 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:37 amIt did. But DB had been off air for a very long time when DBS got announced. I just personally hope it starts airing in 2020 because I always looked forward watching it together with my real life friend and I miss that. It wasn't always the best but had great entertaining value a lot of the time for me. That same excitement is not there with movies every two years.
Well there's a lot of other entertainment out there to enjoy together. If DBS does return as an anime, it won't last forever. It may not even last as long as the first DBS anime. We have no idea to be honest especially if Toriyama ends up preferring to work on movies instead. It's worth finding other content to enjoy together in case.
Oh we have but it just isn't the same. Nothing beats the excitement of constant new DB.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:58 am

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:28 am

I'm not sure how much of that was actual intent/marketing or us reading way more into it than we should've. He is allowed to hype up his presence and given that VA , especially those from DB, are something like celebrities over in Japan them performing live and reading from the manga was definitely something big for fans over there. He didn't specifically tweet anything that was directed at international fans iIrc , he just promoted his work with enthusiasm. The only thing that could be construed to be related to future work was that secret meeting with Toei, but that might as well have for the movie.

Marketing is basically psyhology. It's in their intent to keep DB in our minds when the movie is being made, and fill in the gaps with 'nothing'.

You're right it's not a 100 % sure there is a lack of good intent behind it all, but i'm starting to doubt that after this year.
There were too many signs 'that might lead to the conclusion of a return ...' that actually lead nowhere, so i had become sceptical about it.
My scepticism made me see this somehow coming (altough i would have expected at least some news about the new movie), but i feel sorry for the fans that didn't and were already enjoying themselves for it.
I understand why they are disappointed, it's not their fault, because TOEI really made it seem like something substantial was in the pipeline.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:58 am
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:28 am

Marketing is basically psyhology. It's in their intent to keep DB in our minds when the movie is being made, and fill in the gaps with 'nothing'.

You're right it's not a 100 % sure there is a lack of good intent behind it all, but i'm starting to doubt that after this year.
There were too many signs 'that might lead to the conclusion of a return ...' that actually lead nowhere, so i had become sceptical about it.
My scepticism made me see this somehow coming (altough i would have expected at least some news about the new movie), but i feel sorry for the fans that didn't and were already enjoying themselves for it.
I understand why they are disappointed, it's not their fault, because TOEI really made it seem like something substantial was in the pipeline.
The hope's not over before something's taken over Kitaro's time slot. But it seems much less now.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:03 am

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 am I feel like DB Minus is mostly (not exclusively) disliked because it rewrites a beloved character.
Certainly. But as a Bardock fan, I don't really mind the difference. It was nothing new to begin with, we see this "new" Bardock in Dragon Ball Online, released just four years before Dragon Ball Minus, I was already used to it. As my favorite characters kind of reflect my personality, I'm fond of "parent-son" relationship so it's really nice to see it here. The only problem with this Bardock is the lack of the headband, you can't have that character without his iconic mark.
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 amStory wise it's, well, not the best, but neither is it the worst.
It is not the best neither is the worst because there is no story at all. It's just Bardock arriving on the planet and sending Goku off, that's it. You can't touch the past of the Saiyans in mere 16 pages. You have to dedicate yourself to explore it in at least a full chapter. That's why Dragon Ball Minus sucks, it's missing everything.

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 amAs for Jump Festa, oh well. We at least got one more small confirmation that a movie is being made. That's something.
I couldn't be happier about this Jump Festa. Got some more details on what to expect from Heroes next year, even baby Fu is coming! :D (nice timing to compete with baby Groot and baby Yoda).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~