"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

seansmith9322
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" On-Going Discussion Thread

Post by seansmith9322 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:29 am

PRAISE THE MOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frieza: Round and round the monkey goes. If he should stop , then OFF WITH HIS NOSE!!!!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:31 am

Late to the party. Uhhh... I'm with it. :P
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:31 am

I am personally hoping for 2 things:

1. This turns out to be good
2. It retcons away GT so absolutely that no questions of its non-canon status remain.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:31 am

sintzu wrote:We might get a 3rd movie that's set before this new arc.
If DBS is continuation of ROF, there's not much point trying to sandwich another movie in between to be honest
Doctor. wrote:They just said it was after Boo, we don't know if it's going to be in the 28th TB or not.
DOesn't the press release state it follows after ROF?
NinjaGoku wrote:Is anyone else a bit worried about the quality of the anime given the timing of the announcement? Kai is set to end soon, but how long has this series been in production, is this going to be GT all over again? Sailor Moon Crystal had an announcement a year before it came out.

There's no way this will top the manga, but I'm still excited!

EDIT: I think I great way to start the series would be from re-animating the final episode of Z, a nice break-in.
Not just because of the announcement. Sailor Moon Crystal was years in developement and quality was sometimes almost shockingly bad, especially during the first arc. Toei is cheap even with their biggest money-printing properties.

Barunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by Barunks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:32 am

May fools everybody!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:34 am

Basaku wrote: If DBS is continuation of ROF, there's not much point trying to sandwich another movie in between to be honest
If it's after the 28th Tenkaichi then the new movie can be before.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:36 am

I legit need CPR atm.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:36 am

I saw this on reddit thought "fuck you, not this shit again" and came here only to find out this is legit. What a bananas April. This definitely seems like a culmination of the last 13 years. As much as I don't love what has been coming out lately this ought to be pretty interesting. I'm hoping the series doesn't lean too heavily on the new material from the last 4 years or so but I realize that's a fat chance. Here's hoping we get something cool.
'

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:36 am

I'm cautiously excited. While I really enjoyed Battle of Gods, everything else hasn't been up to series quality standards. My biggest fear is how much money Toei is willing to put into this thing.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:36 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
MajinMan wrote:As far as I'm concerned this is a sequel to the manga, in anime format. I still can't believe this. This is insane. All those poor 3rd movie speculations can be put to rest for now sadly lol.
I wouldn't say this puts the nail in the coffin. They could easily use the show to build up a solid arc or two (similar to the Saiyan and Freeza build up) over the next two years and finish it out with a film in 2017. Not saying they will, but we have new DB episodes in 2015, so pretty much anything is possible at this point.
A new solid story arc that was a mini series event seems possible. This however seems like it wants to be grander and longer. Not sure how sustainable that is before Toei ends up at the help with Toriyana rubber stamping ideas.

Given those statements Toriyama made around the Battle of Gods premiere about taking stock in his work I'm hopeful.

I hope the character designs will not be his new art style that'd be too much of a change for me.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:37 am

sintzu wrote:
Basaku wrote: If DBS is continuation of ROF, there's not much point trying to sandwich another movie in between to be honest
If it's after the 28th Tenkaichi then the new movie can be before.
After 28th omg... I would have a fanboy meltdown if I got full series with EOZ Goten :o :o :o

godku23
Beyond Newbie

Post by godku23 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:38 am

The only thing thing that can make this year more filled with nostalgia is a new Crqsh Bandicoot game.
<(-_-<) (>-_-)> Fu...

^(-_-^) (^-_-)^ sion...

(>-_-)> <(-_-<) HA

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27729&start=15600#p886966

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:38 am

Basaku wrote:
Doctor. wrote:They just said it was after Boo, we don't know if it's going to be in the 28th TB or not.
DOesn't the press release state it follows after ROF?
The English press release states the RoF will be followed up by this series, but that doesn't neccesarily mean that its story takes place after RoF's.
In the next paragraph, it states the story takes place after Majin Buu and that's all it states in regards to this series' story placement.

However in a japanese press release, apparently it's claimed Goku will face enemies stronger than Buu and Freeza, which implies the new series will take place after RoF, as bringing Freeza up otherwise wouldn't make sense.
It will most likely take place after RoF and really that's also what makes the most sense.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:39 am

This is too much to handle, was just about to go to sleep then I see this.

Bahhhh, cannot believe my own fucking eyes at this moment in time.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 am

This is so unbelievable. Nothing can ruin my day now with this news being here. :)
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 am

Basaku wrote: After 28th omg... I would have a fanboy meltdown if I got full series with EOZ Goten :o :o :o
EOZ Gotenks will be a thing now and hopefully Gogeta as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 am

Rocketman wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:...*sighs* And so the negativity begins.
No way dude. There'll be a dude more powerful than Buu who invades Earth and beats up all the supporting cast, then Goku will show up and kill him in base, and then everybody will wank over how it's totally unlike GT. It'll be great.
Well, looks like i found my new signature. :thumbup: :lol:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 am

NinjaGoku wrote:Is anyone else a bit worried about the quality of the anime given the timing of the announcement? Kai is set to end soon, but how long has this series been in production, is this going to be GT all over again? Sailor Moon Crystal had an announcement a year before it came out.
If it takes place after RoF, which the press release suggests, and it's coming out this quickly, then they've probably been working on it along side RoF, and I'm pretty sure there are a few people in the fan community that were aware of it the entire time.
Last edited by UpFromTheSkies on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:42 am

So I think Dragonball has broke the internet, it's even trending at Number 4 in the UK on Twitter! It trending Worldwide was spectacular, but understandable, but here in the UK too? An Anime? Trending? Wow.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:42 am

sintzu wrote: EOZ Gotenks will be a thing now and hopefully Gogeta as well.
Hopefully not. Sometimes it feels like Goten exists solely to be second half of Gotenks. He needs independent character developement.

S better not be just Goku/Vegeta show :problem: