"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mystic Tien
Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 11:35 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I hope the new villain we get in Dragon Ball Super actually goes through raw, genuine character development.
Unless it is Beerus or Whis, highly doubt that it happens :D
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 05, 2015 11:37 am

Mystic Tien wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I hope the new villain we get in Dragon Ball Super actually goes through raw, genuine character development.
Freeza did, to some extent, he accepted there's people stronger than him at least and recognized he needed to train. Other villains in DB did too, but they all turned to the good side shortly after.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 11:42 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:What can they do with in just four years?
The Saiyan, Freeza, Android and Cell arcs all take place within 5 years, and the Buu arc takes place within 24 hours, so they can do a lot. Many series go on forever and the characters never age... Take One Piece, for example, they are getting close to 700 episodes and the cast doesn't look like they've aged at all.
DBZ_Lee wrote:When was the last time anyone died in Dragon Ball, that wasn't resurrected?. Grandpa Gohan? seriously, none of the main cast will die without being bought back anyhow, so EoZ probably wouldn't impact Super if it was set before.
I understand people want EoZ because of Pan, Uub, Teen Trunks and Goten, but I think that the end of Dragon Ball should be left as the end.

If Super is indeed set after Z, then, that's how it is, but I just hope everyone isn't too old. The humans certainly will be, all of them.
When all Future Trunks' friends died, including his master Gohan.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 05, 2015 11:49 am

Any JUMP series that goes to Toei Animation or Studio Pierrot tends to be a long-running series. Other titles, like Shokugeki no Souma, go to smaller studios that focus more on Otaku-aimed works and last only one or two cours. Being that this is a Toei Animation series and Dragon Ball I am inclined to think it will last quite a while more than two cours.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 11:51 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: I think if it begins after "F", everyone will be used - especially the humans that still fight. Toriyama has re-established the other Z fighters in "F", and I would have thought he will continue this going into "Super"..
Highly doubt it. Goku and Vegeta are the ones, who fight with Frieza, not humans. What was the point in powering up Vegeta and Goku, and not humans, yet feature them in upcoming series?
Doctor. wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:
Freeza did, to some extent, he accepted there's people stronger than him at least and recognized he needed to train. Other villains in DB did too, but they all turned to the good side shortly after.
Well, Frieza is kind of an iconic villain. I don't think that there will be guys like him in Super, unless Cell makes a comeback. It is of course probable, that there will be a bad guy who becomes good though.
JulieYBM wrote:Any JUMP series that goes to Toei Animation or Studio Pierrot tends to be a long-running series. Other titles, like Shokugeki no Souma, go to smaller studios that focus more on Otaku-aimed works and last only one or two cours. Being that this is a Toei Animation series and Dragon Ball I am inclined to think it will last quite a while more than two cours.
Well. Unless it is cancelled. Like Yu-Gi-Oh.
Marco Polo wrote:

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Tue May 05, 2015 12:09 pm

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I'm not quite sure where you're coming up with that. If anything, the average is a 12- or 13-episode commitment. And that's for series that are either original to TV from the get-go, or are adaptations of something other than a long-running shonen from its manga serialization (which, in general coming from Shueisha, still has the default production of "run it into the ground"; other companies have other strategies, such as with Hajime no Ippo).
I was just going on anime I recently brought like Atack on Titan, Blue Exorcist and Akame ga Kill! (we'll that's on pre-order), they all seem to be around the 24 to 25 episode mark
Let's not forget anime like Youkai Watch (currently around episode 54). Personally I would be really surprised if DBS ends up only having 24 episodes.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 05, 2015 12:35 pm

If they choose 'swim until we sink' I'll be morbidly interested to see how long they could keep it afloat.
I'm still convinced we're getting a small number of episodes that will last 2 cours before they have a meeting to determine if they should continue.

I'm really hoping for more 'Beerus deals with Gokû and Vegeta suddenly living with him.' I love they have it so Whis didn't even ask Beerus. I can only imagine what was running through their heads.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Production companies don't just decide to do 100 episodes for a show with no source material. That's not how things work. They may well have an idea of how long they'd like the show to last, but there's far more that determines a show's length than what a company hopes for.

You begin by budgeting a reasonable length, usually a cour or two (maybe a year at max if you're adapting a lengthy manga). You then determine the future of the series from viewer retention rates and merchandise sales. If it's proving exceptionally popular, only then do you start to consider more episodes.
That's not exactly true, especially for daytime anime that's tied into merchandising lines, games and other products. Square's Gyrozetter and Capcom's Gaist Crusher, in spite of being complete bombs both as games and anime still got full year runs, since those had been planned from the start. Look at shows focused on children and airing at daytime, not late night shows.

Considering the timeslot we're probably looking at for this show (Kai's), it's very unlikely that they'd be looking at something like 13 or even 26 episodes to start with. 50 episodes actually would be the most expected number for an initial run. Of course, if they see the Dragonball brand as strong, that could convince them to set out with an even higher initial number, which could be useful in this case if they're attempting to export the show.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 05, 2015 2:33 pm

LaRésistance wrote:I talked to Isabelle Favre on the phone last week (she is French) and she couldn't tell me anything about the new show that wasn't in the press release.
Did she say anything about the future french dub and where it will air, though? And when?

Toonami97
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toonami97 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:41 pm

It said AFTER the fight with Buu. So it stands to reason that this is BEFORE BOG

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 05, 2015 2:48 pm

I expect a bare minimum of three cours, if only because that will make it easier to get back to premiering new series in April. Seven seems even more likely.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Toonami97 wrote:It said AFTER the fight with Buu. So it stands to reason that this is BEFORE BOG
You're inferring too much.

Pre-Battle of Gods and post-Revival of "F" are both technically after the defeat of Buu, not to mention post-28th Tenka'ichi Budokai, as well.

When you infer things, you potentially spread bad information.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:09 pm

So how much chance is there for more green tint in the new anime? :lol:
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Tue May 05, 2015 4:30 pm

sangofe wrote:
LaRésistance wrote:I talked to Isabelle Favre on the phone last week (she is French) and she couldn't tell me anything about the new show that wasn't in the press release.
Did she say anything about the future french dub and where it will air, though? And when?
Believe me, I asked all those questions (it's my job after all) and she couldn't answer any of them. As far as she knew, French TV channels were just learning the existence of the series as we were speaking. Maybe she was BSing me, but I couldn't get anything out of her. And I really tried.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:What can they do with in just four years?
The Saiyan, Freeza, Android and Cell arcs all take place within 5 years, and the Buu arc takes place within 24 hours, so they can do a lot. Many series go on forever and the characters never age... Take One Piece, for example, they are getting close to 700 episodes and the cast doesn't look like they've aged at all.
What are you trying to show here? That Chopper aged? If so, that's just one of his transformations, his base form looks the same as it always did.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue May 05, 2015 4:40 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: What are you trying to show here? That Chopper aged? If so, that's just one of his transformations, his base form looks the same as it always did.
the reindeer form is his base form. He is a reindeer who ate a magic fruit that let him become human

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue May 05, 2015 4:41 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:So how much chance is there for more green tint in the new anime? :lol:
0%. They found out that the guys that edited Buu Kai arc had broken monitors all along and already bought new ones.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Tue May 05, 2015 4:43 pm

jcogginsa wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote: What are you trying to show here? That Chopper aged? If so, that's just one of his transformations, his base form looks the same as it always did.
the reindeer form is his base form. He is a reindeer who ate a magic fruit that let him become human
I'm a little lost as to what you're trying to state :eh:
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue May 05, 2015 4:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:So how much chance is there for more green tint in the new anime? :lol:
0%. They found out that the guys that edited Buu Kai arc had broken monitors all along and already bought new ones.
Too bad now they won't go back and fix their screw up.
:lolno:
Funimation we believe in you!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue May 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Vegitofaxx wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:
I'm a little lost as to what you're trying to state :eh:
In one piece there are magical fruits that, among other things, canlet you transform into a specific animal. Chopper is a Reindeer that ate one of those fruits to become a Human.

The fruits grant both a full animal form and a half animal form. Chopper spends most of time in the half human form.