"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Demon of Light » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:46 pm

I'm honestly shocked we still know so little about Super with only a month before the first episode airs. For any other series you'd have splash art and character designs for a few major characters by now, at least, but we don't even have a proper logo! What in the world is Toei doing?! :wtf:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:48 pm

I'm a bit worry that Funimation won't have subs of Super until next year since I want to watch it while it's airing in Japan. I never saw the Buu saga Kai sub since there's no way on watching unless it's RAW. Anime fan subbers these days hardly exist thanks to anime always being licensed fast. I doubt Over-Time and TV-Nihon will sub Super since it will get pick up by Funimation fast.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:54 pm

It's frustrating because I know Toei can plan ahead; they prove it each year with Precure. That series is planned a year ahead of time. We've had images of Cure Scarlet since April; the character won't appear until mid-July at the earliest! Why can't Super be planned that far ahead? :cry:

I get that Toei prioritizes stuff the way it does, but a logo by now isn't unreasonable.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:32 am

I think Toei most likely had things plan out sometime last year. With their Kamen Rider shows, they plan out a new show sometime around December or January. I would imagine Bandai most likely has Dragon Ball's Super toy line plan out as well given how close those two companies are.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:37 am

I hope so. Super is such a unique case it makes it difficult for me to tell how ahead or behind they are in terms of news updates.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:28 am

The story will probably be planned out but it's pretty obvious based on staff arrangements on their other series that production on the series only began during Spring 2015. Don't be surprised if the production collapses soon after beginning.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:38 am

JulieYBM wrote:The story will probably be planned out but it's pretty obvious based on staff arrangements on their other series that production on the series only began during Spring 2015.
We have no definite way of knowing when exactly it started. Chioka, for instance, might have storyboarded for an One Piece episode as a side job if no one else was available - the episode looked rushed, in fact.
Chuquita wrote:We've had images of Cure Scarlet since April; the character won't appear until mid-July at the earliest!
Those are usually leaks from toy catalogues, not from the anime production itself. It's Bandai, not Toei.
Toei's job is to find a way to make those toys to fit into the story, as it happens with merchandise-driven shows. It doesn't mean the show itself was planned out that earlier, just that the toys were.

Tv anime follow such a chaotic schedule, they very rarely have stuff to show months in advance like that. In fact, there are many other July series that didn't have any footage shown yet.
And also maybe Super's staff believe they don't need to get desperate to put a short promo together or things like that "because it's Dragonball", it's gonna have high ratings no matter what.
Last edited by Araki on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:44 am

Chuquita wrote:It's frustrating because I know Toei can plan ahead; they prove it each year with Precure. That series is planned a year ahead of time. We've had images of Cure Scarlet since April; the character won't appear until mid-July at the earliest! Why can't Super be planned that far ahead? :cry:

I get that Toei prioritizes stuff the way it does, but a logo by now isn't unreasonable.
I'm sure it has to do with Toriyama accepting to make a series rather late, and then suddenly Toei was "OH SHIT, WE GOTTA DO THIS," and has been working like hell since.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:56 am

sangofe wrote:
Chuquita wrote:It's frustrating because I know Toei can plan ahead; they prove it each year with Precure. That series is planned a year ahead of time. We've had images of Cure Scarlet since April; the character won't appear until mid-July at the earliest! Why can't Super be planned that far ahead? :cry:

I'm sure it has to do with Toriyama accepting to make a series rather late, and then suddenly Toei was "OH SHIT, WE GOTTA DO THIS," and has been working like hell since.

I just hope it doesn't look like those anime cuts of Xenoverse that I just saw on youtube (Don't have the game personally), but it probably will, then again stranger things have happened, and maybe it will have better quality then that.

Out of curiosity is there a reason that this like several other anime I've seen is coming out on July 5th, like something special, like RoF came out so it would be out during golden week?
Last edited by Retan on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:03 am

Fun fact: Shida Naotoshi storyboarded the XenoVerse cut scenes.
Araki wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:The story will probably be planned out but it's pretty obvious based on staff arrangements on their other series that production on the series only began during Spring 2015.
We have no definite way of knowing when exactly it started. Chioka, for instance, might have storyboarded for an One Piece episode as a side job if no one else was available - the episode looked rushed, in fact.
It's Toei, all episodes are pretty rushed, especially given how few animators and animation supervisors work on a single episode. We do know from Studio Guts' Twitter account that One Piece is usually about six to eight weeks ahead of airing, though. Chioka's One Piece #690 air on 26 April 2015, meaning it had probably been storyboarded sometime in early March or late February. If you look at his schedule for 2015 you'll see he hasn't really had a lot of wiggle room. I've read the average storyboard takes two to four weeks to complete. Assuming Chioka storyboarded Dragon Ball Super Episode #1 that means he probably did so in May.

This doesn't even take into account key animators. Oonishi Ryou has been MIA since March when Majin Bone ended. I can't imagine he's working on any other unannounced project, so he's probably working on Dragon Ball Super in some capacity. Shida Naotoshi storyboarded something in April, too, which I assume is Dragon Ball Super Episode #2 or #3. If that's the case then Chioka could have probably done his storyboard for Episode #1 in April, too. Then again, it's not the first time a series director hasn't storyboarded the first episode of a series. Maybe Shida storyboarded Episode #1 back in April? Hamano Yuu'ichi has been MIA recently. Maybe some wild dream has come true and Episode #1 is going to be a massive kick-ass episode on the level of Saint Seiya Omega #51? A Shida storyboard with action animation by Oonishi and Hamano and a few others would destroy the universe.

Then again, this is reality, so I doubt that'll ever happen.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:32 am

Chuquita wrote:http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/06/05/dr ... -july-5th/

I'm now near convinced we're jumping in right after F. The "shin/godly" pun is what did it.
Nothing about that wording implies it would be immediately after F though. If it is a pun having to do with Goku and Vegeta it's not like they will magically stop being gods if it's after the end of Z.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:36 am

Forget new info.

I can't believe we are less than a month away from a brand new series.. omg

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:39 am

Storyboard for the ending https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 20?lang=en
Pretty cool, but...what about the logo, Toei ?

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:58 am

Cool!! So they have Goku in the same pose as that old manga picture, and Gohan as a scholar... again. Good Find ShinGaijin.

Can anyone make anything new out of some of the Japanese Texts? Or is that mostly to do with the story boarding process?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:26 am

If that storyboard thing is legit, then...that could almost be a solid hint that Super really is going to be post-manga rather than being in the time skip, if we're getting scholar Gohan, right? I mean, obviously he would have had to become a scholar at some point prior to that ending, so it could just be showing us the start of that, but...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:37 am

ShinGaijin wrote:Storyboard for the ending https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 20?lang=en
Oh wow! Maybe we are going EoZ after all! O_O
That's definitely EoZ Gohan there.

My hope for Pan, Bra, and an older Trunks and Goten intensifies.

Slideshow ED though? Is "sl in" shorthand for slide in?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:44 am

Chuquita wrote:
ShinGaijin wrote:Storyboard for the ending https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 20?lang=en

I'm pretty sure it is for slide in Chuquita.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:47 am

Retan wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is for slide in Chuquita.
Thank you!

Thinking about this likely being EoZ now, consequences can actually happen. They won't have to worry about EoZ if it happens after that.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:55 am

That's been my biggest problem with the new movies actually, is nothing truly consequential can happen that leads the series down a new path. (Although who am I to say adding a god of destruction, 11 other universes and two SSJGSSJ's isn't consequential) still the two movies never felt free to do there own thing. This new series could though if it is indeed after EoZ.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:20 am

Oh man, my hopes for a post-EoZ series are restored! I like the idea that anything can happen, and things don't have to return to the status quo just to fit in with EoZ.