"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:19 am

Jaetinh wrote:I don't think Vegeta is wearing his Cell/BoG-outfit, look at his neck. Usually he wears that blue spandex/compression shirt that fits so tight to his body and neck:
It's different, isn't it? It's as thick as a turtle neck, it can be seen right at the back of his neck/below his hair.
I was literally just composing a post pointing out the same thing. You're absolutely correct, the outfit is almost definitely not old.
Vastly different! It actually looks like it goes around his neck, like a loose shirt:
Also, touching on the topic of timeline placement; I think this may work in tandem with Revival of 'F'. Perhaps we begin shortly after Battle of Gods, and work our way towards the latest film. We get there and have Trunks and Goten's perspective while all that's going on. It's not very Toriyama, but who knows! Just throwing a theory out there. I'm just curious as to what's in that glass bottle they're carrying around. It's clearly something important to the narrative.

To finish on a totally separate, selfish, absurd fan wish: I'd be overjoyed if they left Revival of 'F' as another side-story Toei film. They won't, but man, I'd be so happy. I like that film, but I think a TV series would do better justice to a Battle of Gods sequel than that film.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:25 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Also, touching on the topic of timeline placement; I think this may work in tandem with Revival of 'F'. Perhaps we begin shortly after Battle of Gods, and work our way towards the latest film. We get there and have Trunks and Goten's perspective while all that's going on. It's not very Toriyama, but who knows! Just throwing a theory out there. I'm just curious as to what's in that glass bottle they're carrying around. It's clearly something important to the narrative.

To finish on a totally separate, selfish, absurd fan wish: I'd be overjoyed if they left Revival of 'F' as another side-story Toei film. They won't, but man, I'd be so happy. I like that film, but I think a TV series would do better justice to a Battle of Gods sequel than that film.
I think this tweet scuppers your theory I am afraid:
7月放送開始の新シリーズ「ドラゴンボール超」はTVアニメ初の鳥山明オリジナル原案!長い眠りから目覚めた破壊の神ビルスとの出会いや、かつて「宇宙の帝王」と恐れられたフリーザの復活に加え、更なる謎の人物も登場…?(S)
The new TV series “Dragon Ball Super” by Akira Toriyama begins in July! After meeting with the God of Destruction; Beerus, who had awakened from his sleep, and after the revival of the dreaded “Emperor of the Universe”; Freeza, a new mysterious person appears …?
However, I think the new TV series also explains why "F" felt more like a stand alone sequel. And you are absolutely right that a TV show is the best way to handle all the 12 universe stuff.

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:25 am

Jaetinh wrote:It's different, isn't it? It's as thick as a turtle neck, it can be seen right at the back of his neck/below his hair.
Maybe it's a collared polo shirt x) Heck, I'd love to see Vegeta in earth clothes again. I love his Saiyan armor, but it would be nice to see him in something different for a change.
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:26 am

Jaetinh wrote:I don't think Vegeta is wearing his Cell/BoG-outfit, look at his neck. Usually he wears that blue spandex/compression shirt that fits so tight to his body and neck:
Here if you look carefully at his neck:
It's different, isn't it? It's as thick as a turtle neck, it can be seen right at the back of his neck/below his hair.

Can't say that I don't hate the way they choose Vegeta to keep his Android outfit in JSAT and BoG, I mean... I could understand why they choose Vegeta to be with his armor and Goku to be wearing his dogi Saiyan outfit in JSAT because the remembering, nostalgia and etc.

But why keep that in BoG? Vegeta Boo outfit is better in so many ways, I don't like to feel like Vegeta in BoG is the same from Android Saga, so that's why I hate they intend to put him with that outfit again, luckily they did something good in RoF to introduce new outfits to both Goku and Vegeta, that's make the movie indeed feel fresh
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:33 am

Shida Naotoshi is finished with his recent work on Sailor Moon and One Piece. He's begun storyboarding for something, with any luck it is Dragon Ball Super.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:35 am

Noah wrote:But why keep that in BoG? Vegeta Boo outfit is better in so many ways, I don't like to feel like Vegeta in BoG is the same from Android Saga, so that's why I hate they intend to put him with that outfit again, luckily they did something good in RoF to introduce new outfits to both Goku and Vegeta, that's make the movie indeed feel fresh
Vegeta didn't wear armor in the Buu Arc because it started off at the Tenkaichi Budokai, were armor is not permitted. Had the rules been different or there not been a tournament at all, he likely would have remained in the battle jacket for that arc as well.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:36 am

I don't want Vegeta to go back to the Cell arc outfit, it was never my favorite and I really like his new F outfit.

I'd happily accept new casual wear for him though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:42 am

Shouldn't the official Super website be launching any time from now?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:44 am

BlackCatScott wrote:Shouldn't the official Super website be launching any time from now?
Probably not for at least another 8 hours. It's 12:47am in Japan right now.

I'd like for it to launch tomorrow, but I don't expect anything other than an update to the current site they're using.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:48 am

Chuquita wrote:
BlackCatScott wrote:Shouldn't the official Super website be launching any time from now?

I'd like for it to launch tomorrow, but I don't expect anything other than an update to the current site they're using.
I see. Well hopefully that includes a full trailer. Perhaps a look at the character designs.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:48 am

I'm impressed that a 15 second trailer that basically shows nothing could generate 25 pages of discussion.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:49 am

Um guys...
Looks like that outfit, but the wind made by the aura rises it up a bit.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:49 am

BlackCatScott wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

I see. Well hopefully that includes a full trailer. Perhaps a look at the character designs.
I sure hope so. I'm genuinely surprised they still haven't revealed Gokû and Vegeta's battle outfits for the series.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:51 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I think this tweet scuppers your theory I am afraid:
7月放送開始の新シリーズ「ドラゴンボール超」はTVアニメ初の鳥山明オリジナル原案!長い眠りから目覚めた破壊の神ビルスとの出会いや、かつて「宇宙の帝王」と恐れられたフリーザの復活に加え、更なる謎の人物も登場…?(S)
The new TV series “Dragon Ball Super” by Akira Toriyama begins in July! After meeting with the God of Destruction; Beerus, who had awakened from his sleep, and after the revival of the dreaded “Emperor of the Universe”; Freeza, a new mysterious person appears …?
However, I think the new TV series also explains why "F" felt more like a stand alone sequel. And you are absolutely right that a TV show is the best way to handle all the 12 universe stuff.
So the series is probably after RF then? Okay, I can deal with that, I just hope that we have sort of a Piccolo Jr or Raditz moment and then time skip, basically either a really strong guy shows up and that leads into a new arc after they barely beat him, or they are told a strong guy is coming in 6 or so years and they have to train for him so we see a bit of that before they time skip to post EoZ.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:54 am

jjgp1112 wrote:I'm impressed that a 15 second trailer that basically shows nothing could generate 25 pages of discussion.
Kanzenshuu is basically like Toei animation adapting a manga chapter into episode: It doesn't matter how brief the action, it will be milked to its fullest.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:55 am

Honestly I'm happy to get another DB series with Toriyama's input. I don't even care about anything else. I thought it was funny how intense Vegeta's fans are considering the amount of his clothing we actually got to see in the trailer :lol: I love that, I like seeing people enjoying this new thing :) Can't wait for more Gohan moments even if he'll never be in the spotlight. Maybe we can actually see him contributing to the team with his brains, we always got like a Deus ex machina info that Gohan was a genius, but he's never really shown it in-universe, it would be a cool approach to his character if he's not really going to be a fighter anymore, which I'm cool with too.

Can it be july already? I can't wait!!!

Also, while Goten and Trunks are still kids because the fans are also kids and they need to be able to pander to them, I'm kind of happy because I like their fooling around and doing stupid things. I might be the only person who liked their Broly movies lol
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Thank you 2ch thread! I looked for a good while last night for the Jump 08 character sheets (I know I have copies, but of course I didn't label them in any easy-to-locate way).

Not only Gokû, but Trunks (Well, I think Trunks' is a little different, *goes to check*) and Mr. Satan are all wearing their 08 outfits:

Source: http://hayabusa6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ ... 432288333/

EDIT: :Yeah, Trunks' outfit is different, but clearly inspired by the 08 special's one.

Also, it is so strange seeing Gokû's wrists. They're like the one thing he almost-always keeps covered.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:10 pm

Chuquita wrote:Thank you 2ch thread! I looked for a good while last night for the Jump 08 character sheets (I know I have copies, but of course I didn't label them in any easy-to-locate way).

Not only Gokû, but Trunks (Well, I think Trunks' is a little different, *goes to check*) and Mr. Satan are all wearing their 08 outfits:

Source: http://hayabusa6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ ... 432288333/

EDIT: :Yeah, Trunks' outfit is different, but clearly inspired by the 08 special's one.

Also, it is so strange seeing Gokû's wrists. They're like the one thing he almost-always keeps covered.
Yes, he seems naked whenever he doesn't have them covered.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:13 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: before they time skip to post EoZ.
This is not directed at you ArchedThunder, but that piece of sentence made me realize something in general, so that's why I quote you, but this is not something I say to you personally.
That people nowadays can't get passed their own ideas of what should be or not, and 50 episodes later, they'll still be convinced that "there will be a time skip to explore what's after the epilogue at some point".

After repeating over and over that it made more sense to set it before the epilogue and was surely going to be that way, now that it happened (oh, what a surprise, all signs pointing to one decision and it's that very decision that was taken...), they still won't let go of that "after the epilogue" idea and will still insist that it's got to happen at some point even if we get 75 episodes into this new series without any sign that it will ever happen.

Talk about stubborn fans that want this one thing and not those 99 other rightful possibilities.
You guys are here to be told a story decided by someone else, not to decide what story you should be told. That's the whole point of being told a story instead of telling one.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:13 pm

As someone who's been watching Sailor Moon Crystal and Soul of Gold (bi-weekly series), I'm so happy with the animation on that short teaser :D (Aside from that slightly awkward shot of Goten and Trunks, but that was a very minor thing)

Now we just need a taste of the soundtrack. Here's hoping Sumitomo grows half a brain and makes variations on the opening(s) and ending(s), the way Kikuchi did.

I can't help being confused about the story's placement and in-universe side of things. They're coming off of a huge movie, with a new transformation that they're advertising in EVERYTHING....and it's not in the new series? With the series possibly even taking place before THE CURRENT BIG THING? It just seems like a weird choice.

Personally, I was of the camp that it would've been post-Z altogether. Just made sense to me. Why exhaust this 5 year period even more, when you can expand the cast and the universe and use the possible content that Toriyama already opened the doors to? It can still happen, but I don't get why they'd(he'd) wanna lock themselves in that time period.

At least the Super logo finally makes sense. It's still gonna be within Dragon Ball Z, if they're not changing the setting they don't need to change the logo. (As much as I'd like that)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0