"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Rukura » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:07 am

I guess it might be worth noting (haven't seen anyone mention it yet) that everyone has their Battle of Gods outfits. Most notably Videl, who had just found out she was pregnant and doesn't show any signs of Pan inside yet. With that in mind, it can also be another placeholder thingy with the new characters added to it.
Cold Skin wrote:With a weekly new series to produce, I don't see them eager to have a movie getting in their way and taking some time and budget from the show.
Considering how much more money they can make with a movie (and faster, too) I'd think they would probably rather make that, actually. Though, admitedly, I don't know how true that actually is.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Toonami97
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toonami97 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:08 am

Has anyone translated the character profiles yet?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:12 am

Toonami97 wrote:Has anyone translated the character profiles yet?
There's nothing new in them. They're just the same things from Battle of Gods.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:12 am

Isn't it possible that this series has been in development since Battle of Gods, hence the outfits and maybe why this takes place in between BOG and FNF? It's odd, but it's a thing.

As has been mentioned a few times though, the Dragon Ball Super official Twitter account stated it was after Resurrection F. Not sure word for word what they said but it was something like "after the events of Freeza" etc.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:13 am

Cold Skin wrote:^ I'd say the second one.
With a weekly new series to produce, I don't see them eager to have a movie getting in their way and taking some time and budget from the show.
I think they'll bother doing the next movie once they don't have to produce episodes from the series anymore. But I may be wrong, I don't know much about how anime work.

So both your possibilities are up, but if the third movie is supposed to close the Gods arc, that will simply depend on if they feel they still have ideas for adventures with Gods or if they feel that it will soon be a pinch.
One Piece gets movies every year, so did DBZ (it was actually getting 2 movies per year in best period). If a show is succesful, making them seems to Toei like just part of the running machine. I'm just trying to think whether they want 3 movies + 52 episodes for Gods arc or 3 movies + 100 episodes. I honestly hope it's the former. 52 episodes is good Kai pacing, 100+ episodes will 100% be as filler-infested and dragged-out as original DBZ arcs.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:21 am

I don't think Fateerus will be a villain.
I think he will most likely be a gag character. Like "see how weird are people of this alternate universe!".
Kinda like what happened in "Naruto: Road to Ninja".

The most important thing about a villain is the design. Just look at Janemba and how many people love him even tho he has zero personality whatsoever.
I don't think they want to get us hyped for a villain "Stronger than Frieza and Buu" and then give use a fat version of Beerus no one could take seriously.

Either that, or they pull a Fat Buu/Super Buu. They transform him into a cooler design halfway through.
Last edited by Flame Dragon on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:27 am

Oh, I was excited when I just saw there was an update with a comics page released on the main page of Kanzenshuu, but that page just shows an artwork of our usual Goku.
Let's be patient, even if it's hard (which is a good sign).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:28 am

I don't think he's the villain because of where he's placed on the splash. I think he'd be in a more looming position if he was the main villain, not back to back with Beerus.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:31 am

I like the theory of it being Beerus's brother and Whis's sister, I really do not want the 12 universe stuff to be just alternate versions of the characters.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 am

Chuquita wrote:I don't think he's the villain because of where he's placed on the splash. I think he'd be in a more looming position if he was the main villain, not back to back with Beerus.
Maybe he's not a villain per se and usually gets along with our beloved God of Destruction, but he could be questionning Beerus' motives as to why sparing the Earth.
He does have the Earth at the tip of his finger, and does inspire a less kind side than Beerus with his facial expression, red clothes and larger body.
As if he was more of a brute and Beerus was actually more subtle.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 am

Cold Skin wrote: With a weekly new series to produce, I don't see them eager to have a movie getting in their way and taking some time and budget from the show.
I think they'll bother doing the next movie once they don't have to produce episodes from the series anymore. But I may be wrong, I don't know much about how anime work.
The series will help the movies make more $$$ so they'll probably try to have 1 out every year to run alongside it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:33 am

Cold Skin wrote:Oh, I was excited when I just saw there was an update with a comics page released on the main page of Kanzenshuu, but that page just shows an artwork of our usual Goku.
Let's be patient, even if it's hard (which is a good sign).
Interestingly, he has the white bit at the bottom of his boots that SSG Goku had.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:34 am

Fat Beerus to me seems like the new Yajirobe.

Also:

Toyble's art is as good as usual.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:41 am

With the release of the image of Toyotaro's Goku from the manga, I'm expecting to see, like a month from now, headlines from various websites saying this image isn't actually from Dragon Ball Super! :lol: And of course it'll probably include something about there being "rumors" that Broli is gonna get resurrected or something.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:47 am

Flame Dragon wrote: The most important think about a villain is the design. Just look at Janemba and how many people love him even tho he has zero personality whatsoever.
I don't think they want to get us hyped for a villain "Stronger than Freeza and Buu" and then give use a fat version of Beerus no one could take seriously.
Lol. You underestimate modern dragon ball.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:49 am

I'm saying this again: This seems like the new Yajirobe to me, a comic relief character Goku meets and fights for awhile only to later befriend.

To me, the female Whis looks to be the real threat.

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:58 am

I don't think they want to get us hyped for a villain "Stronger than Freeza and Buu" and then give use a fat version of Beerus no one could take seriously.
Just like people didn't take Fat Buu seriously until he one shot Gohan and Dabura and beat the shit out of Vegeta?
Linda Young 4 lyfe

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:03 am

Fat Beerus looks like a bully and has an evil look in his eyes. And knowing Toriyama's unpredictable crazy mind this can go anywhere from here. So excited

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:04 am

The M.W says VJump is out less than a week. Does anyone know the exact date?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:05 am

Darn, I was hoping for a longer trailer to go up, but a main visual is nice as well! Especially when it reveals the return of Kuririn's BOG design. :mrgreen:

That said though, while I'm not really as concerned as most people are, I am beginning to get confused as to the placement of this series. Maybe it really does just start off pre-Resurrection 'F' and moves past it at a later point, but as things stand now, this is definitely starting to look like something that takes place before the latest movie - and that's an odd choice. I'm sure they know what they're doing though, so only time will tell why we're back in that time again seemingly.

I also have to admit that I had a bit of a head tilt moment upon first seeing 'fat Beerus' and 'female Whis', but after thinking on it for a while, I'm fine with it if they're another pair of God of Destruction/attendant. All of the Kaio look pretty similar to each other, as do all of the Kaioshin, so it wouldn't be too out there for most of the 'Hakaishin' to be similar as well. Having such a similar looking attendant is a bit more of a stretch, but eh. Also, for what it's worth, are we absolutely sure it's a woman this time? Most of us thought Whis was a girl at first too, after all. :P

Also, did I read a post correctly that was Nakao saying he's in Super as well? I'd be extremely curious to know how that one's gonna work out...Kuriza at last perhaps?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)