"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Mentioned this in the animation thread but we 100% need a plot B from the actual tournament, Toei missed an opportunity in the U6 arc for this, I mean how perfect would be Jaco, Bulma etc to be searching for the Super DB's while the tournament was going on?

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Mentioned this in the animation thread but we 100% need a plot B from the actual tournament, Toei missed an opportunity in the U6 arc for this, I mean how perfect would be Jaco, Bulma etc to be searching for the Super DB's while the tournament was going on?
Plot B most likely be centered on Cabba, Frost and Fem Broly(like the Opening is hinting), or maybe centered on the Pride Troupers. Its time to develop characters that might be relevant if we go beyond EoZ.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:57 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Mentioned this in the animation thread but we 100% need a plot B from the actual tournament, Toei missed an opportunity in the U6 arc for this, I mean how perfect would be Jaco, Bulma etc to be searching for the Super DB's while the tournament was going on?
Plot B most likely be centered on Cabba, Frost and Fem Broly(like the Opening is hinting), or maybe centered on the Pride Troupers. Its time to develop characters that might be relevant if we go beyond EoZ.
Universe 6 are plot b due to us knowing half of them. I wonder how long until we get shown the rest of team Universe 6.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:00 pm

perucho1990 wrote:You are forgetting the Namekian book of legends.
At this point it's safe to say Toei forgot about it as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:49 pm

sintzu wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:You are forgetting the Namekian book of legends.
At this point it's safe to say Toei forgot about it as well.
It's not that they forgot about it, but rather that it was never meant to be anything worthwhile.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Universe 6 are plot b due to us knowing half of them. I wonder how long until we get shown the rest of team Universe 6.
I would like to see the Pride Troupers being relevant though, the focus would likely be on Toppo, Alien and the Beerus lookalike, the last might help in knowing more about Beerus and Champa race and give us their backstories.

U6 might be mostly centered on Frost redeemption, thats what I think otherwise why bother to bring him back? Oh also Cabba should develop a personality.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Since according to Toriyama's outline all the 7 Super Dragon Balls would be gathered already when the tournament took place, and Champa found them all (even if the last one by accident), that would be a rather pointless filler/change that would add nothing.

I agree that some parallel events going on during the new arc would be appreciated, though, as the scale is so much bigger now.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
I would like to see the Pride Troupers being relevant though, the focus would likely be on Toppo, Alien and the Beerus lookalike, the last might help in knowing more about Beerus and Champa race and give us their backstories.

U6 might be mostly centered on Frost redeemption, thats what I think otherwise why bother to bring him back? Oh also Cabba should develop a personality.
I don't think Champa cares Frost is a criminal, he just wants to win and Frost has probably been training while he has been hiding somewhere.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:43 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: I don't think Champa cares Frost is a criminal, he just wants to win and Frost has probably been training while he has been hiding somewhere.
I think that as well, golden freeza transformation went to waste, would be good if we see frost actually master golden frost this time around
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:06 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: When did this happen :eh:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Huh, what do you know
Not ki, seiki (vitality).

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:08 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
perucho1990 wrote: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Huh, what do you know
Not ki, seiki (vitality).
That makes a lot more sense, was wondering how I missed that
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Pantheon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pantheon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 am

I was thinking about it and it probably would have been pretty easy for Toriyama to create all 12 GoDs by himself.

So why didn't he? I think that he and Toyotaro didn't just create the GoD's for a certain universe but also their kai, angel and fighters.
Which is why for universe 11 and 2 it says they both created them together. For those two universes they both created a fraction of the fighters. For example Toriyama created the pride trooper and Toyotaro did every other fighter for universe 11.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 am

Pantheon wrote:I was thinking about it and it probably would have been pretty easy for Toriyama to create all 12 GoDs by himself.

So why didn't he? I think that he and Toyotaro didn't just create the GoD's for a certain universe but also their kai, angel and fighters.
Which is why for universe 11 and 2 it says they both created them together. For those two universes they both created a fraction of the fighters. For example Toriyama created the pride trooper and Toyotaro did every other fighter for universe 11.
Or it could have had to do with he wants Toyotarou to design some of the GoDs because why not? it seems he likes Toyo to a degree, he already said he would like Toyo to apply some of his ideas to DB.
Maybe he see's Toyotarou as a good successor for the series since... well he's not exactly getting younger (ofc all of this are what ifs scenarios, I just felt like that could be whats happening here)

Pantheon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pantheon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 am

SansrivaaL wrote:
Pantheon wrote:I was thinking about it and it probably would have been pretty easy for Toriyama to create all 12 GoDs by himself.

Or it could have had to do with he wants Toyotarou to design some of the GoDs because why not? it seems he likes Toyo to a degree, he already said he would like Toyo to apply some of his ideas to DB.
Maybe he see's Toyotarou as a good successor for the series since... well he's not exactly getting younger (ofc all of this are what ifs scenarios, I just felt like that could be whats happening here)
Both can be true i just don't find it likely that Toriyama would design the fighters for a universe that Toyotaro designed the GoD for. Which may also go vice versa but I dunno. By letting him create the GoD for a universe he's letting him create the aesthetic which he probably wouldn't interfere with by making his own character from there.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 am

It could just simply be that Toyotaro gave Toriyama some of his own designs and ideas for the gods, and have Toriyama choose what he likes out of them. I suspect Vermoud and Helles originally came from Toyotaro, and Toriyama made some changes to their designs, which is why both of them were credited as the designer of both.

If Toriyama like the gods created by Toyotaro, then he probably didn’t feel the need to have all of them be designed by him, especially with all the characters to appear in this arc; not to mention that he seems to like to have Toyotaro incorporate some of his own ideas to his story.

With all the character set to appear in this arc, I’m fairly certain that some, if not most of them aren’t designed by Toriyama. I wouldn’t be surprised if Basil, Lavenda, and Bergamo are designed by Yamamuro. There’s the Dragon Ball room, too.

Pantheon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pantheon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 am

While I'm just throwing random things out there i'm pretty confident that the Zen Exhibition match is a Toei original thing and wasn't in Toriyama's draft and won't be in the manga. I thinks after it we're gonna get about 8 or so gathering and training the team episodes and Toei just wanted to set the stage for the arc and have some action to keep people interested as well as sort out the animation schedule. Which is why U9 won't be destroyed by Zeno before the actual tournament.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 am

Pantheon wrote:While I'm just throwing random things out there i'm pretty confident that the Zen Exhibition match is a Toei original thing and wasn't in Toriyama's draft and won't be in the manga. I thinks after it we're gonna get about 8 or so gathering and training the team episodes and Toei just wanted to set the stage for the arc and have some action to keep people interested as well as sort out the animation schedule. Which is why U9 won't be destroyed by Zeno before the actual tournament.
I'm getting similar vibes too. The only thing that kinda throws a wrench in this theory for me is that they used a Toriyama designed God for this exhibition match when they could have just used one of the others and that might mean it's because it was in the outline that this is how he wants Sidra used. I mean, not all of them are going to get equal screen time, so for "filler" to give some to Toriyama's character feels weird. Of course that's assuming Universe 9 wouldn't actually play a small role in the tournament proper, since it's very possible considering Universe 11 is focused on a lot.
Pantheon wrote: Both can be true i just don't find it likely that Toriyama would design the fighters for a universe that Toyotaro designed the GoD for. Which may also go vice versa but I dunno. By letting him create the GoD for a universe he's letting him create the aesthetic which he probably wouldn't interfere with by making his own character from there.
Toriyama already designed the Angel for Universe 8, for which Toyotaro designed the God, so it's not impossible. Except the pattern of Universes adding up to 13, I don't think there's more to it. They would just limit themselves.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:04 am

SansrivaaL wrote: Maybe he see's Toyotarou as a good successor for the series since... well he's not exactly getting younger (ofc all of this are what ifs scenarios, I just felt like that could be whats happening here)
Toriyama has already stated that Toyo will be his successor
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Pantheon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pantheon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:13 am

Draconic wrote:
Pantheon wrote:While I'm just throwing random things out there i'm pretty confident that the Zen Exhibition match is a Toei original thing and wasn't in Toriyama's draft and won't be in the manga. I thinks after it we're gonna get about 8 or so gathering and training the team episodes and Toei just wanted to set the stage for the arc and have some action to keep people interested as well as sort out the animation schedule. Which is why U9 won't be destroyed by Zeno before the actual tournament.
I'm getting similar vibes too. The only thing that kinda throws a wrench in this theory for me is that they used a Toriyama designed God for this exhibition match when they could have just used one of the others and that might mean it's because it was in the outline that this is how he wants Sidra used. I mean, not all of them are going to get equal screen time, so for "filler" to give some to Toriyama's character feels weird. Of course that's assuming Universe 9 wouldn't actually play a small role in the tournament proper, since it's very possible considering Universe 11 is focused on a lot.
Pantheon wrote: Both can be true i just don't find it likely that Toriyama would design the fighters for a universe that Toyotaro designed the GoD for. Which may also go vice versa but I dunno. By letting him create the GoD for a universe he's letting him create the aesthetic which he probably wouldn't interfere with by making his own character from there.
Toriyama already designed the Angel for Universe 8, for which Toyotaro designed the God, so it's not impossible. Except the pattern of Universes adding up to 13, I don't think there's more to it. They would just limit themselves.
I think they will fight U9 in the main tournament probably the 2nd Universe they face. The Dangerous Trio seem to have been designed with team battles in mind, which we know the main tournament has. It seems weird that they are fighting 1v1 which also makes me think this isn't in the original draft. To make it tie into the Exhibition match i bet that Gohan will win the next fight and they are declared the winners. That means that Goku won't fight Bergamo yet and he can be seen as a looming threat to face later. There one still shot in the preview which makes me think the exhibition match is over it has the two Omni-Kings in the foreground and the grand priest in the background and something about it makes me feel like its over.(I don't know how to link images but its on the side bar of the dragonball reddit)