"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:17 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Ranmaru Rei wrote:I believe, if DBS will long go after ToP, the next arcs won't be set on Earth till EoZ, because Bulma in EoZ said that she have not seen Goku for 5 years.
I thinks others mentioned bulma exaggerating the whole 5 Year thing like saying when u meet a family member and acting like its been decade's since you seen th even though it was less or something
Isn't it Goku that says that though, and Bulma just confirms it? At least that's how I remember it from the manga, forgot if they changed that in the anime.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:20 pm

pacz360 wrote: Hate dbm bra huh? Can't Say I blame you though
She's like the textbook definition of Jerkass Sue. She's what crazy Vegeta fans want Vegeta to be like. A spoiled, powerful brat who everyone wanks and can literally get a way with murder. I find Multiverse Vegetto bearable compared to her, even he's also a Sue.

The only character I want out of Multiverse is U16/U18 Gohan if given a choice.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Michsi wrote:Isn't it Goku that says that though, and Bulma just confirms it? At least that's how I remember it from the manga, forgot if they changed that in the anime.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm

I thought it was already agreed upon that the "Haven't seen you in 5 years" bit is just a throw away line that shouldn't be taken seriously when it comes to Super. (Or did I just have that meeting in my head?) They aren't going to write the entire series around this one thing Bulma said when Toriyama thought he was done with it.

I think we can just assume a "retcon".
Last edited by Boo Machine on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I understand. A show without Goku isn't DB. A Next gen is just gonna be boring cliché shonen, Gohan wasn't MC cuz he was boring af, there is a reason why Toei still had Goku as MC in GT probably realised he is DB.
For someone who didn't even like the idea of people speculating about the end of Super that's a weird assumption to make. It all comes down to character and writing, just because Goku isn't the main character doesn't mean it will be cliche shonen. Some of my favorite parts of DB are when Goku isn't there.
Besides, Goku doesn't have to be taken out of the picture to have a focus on the next generation.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Ranmaru Rei wrote:
Michsi wrote:Isn't it Goku that says that though, and Bulma just confirms it? At least that's how I remember it from the manga, forgot if they changed that in the anime.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wouldn't be surprised if they recton the scene

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:25 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I understand. A show without Goku isn't DB. A Next gen is just gonna be boring cliché shonen, Gohan wasn't MC cuz he was boring af, there is a reason why Toei still had Goku as MC in GT probably realised he is DB.
For someone who didn't even like the idea of people speculating about the end of Super that's a weird assumption to make. It all comes down to character and writing, just because Goku isn't the main character doesn't mean it will be cliche shonen. Some of my favorite parts of DB are when Goku isn't there.
Besides, Goku doesn't have to be taken out of the picture to have a focus on the next generation.
It would only work if it's like Duck Tales with Goku being like Scrooge, imo.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I thought it was already agreed upon that the "Haven't seen you in 5 years" bit is just a throw away line that shouldn't be taken seriously when it comes to Super. (Or did I just have that meeting in my head?) They aren't going to write the entire series around this one thing Bulma said when Toriyama thought he was done with it.

I think we can just assume a "retcon".
Pretty much it was written when Toriyama was Done with db

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 pm

lol, new series will be about Goku and Vegeta Jrs. I'm joking.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:27 pm

HeroR wrote:
pacz360 wrote: Hate dbm bra huh? Can't Say I blame you though
She's like the textbook definition of Jerkass Sue. She's what crazy Vegeta fans want Vegeta to be like. A spoiled, powerful brat who everyone wanks and can literally get a way with murder. I find Multiverse Vegetto bearable compared to her, even he's also a Sue.

The only character I want out of Multiverse is U16/U18 Gohan if given a choice.
Pretty much lol bra should be a mix of her mother and vegeta tbh

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Errrr no, I didn't /don't like people speculating about the end of DBS because the BD Box has one freaking extra episode...

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:30 pm

I mean, I'm not AGAINST the idea of the next generation. But any interest I had in that went out the window the minute Goku came back from death. So while I'd give it a shot, I'd rather stick with Goku as the main man. Half the fun shit wouldn't happen if he wasn't around.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:30 pm

Ranmaru Rei wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Toriyama is not going to let himself be restricted by one line he could easily change.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Toriyama is not going to let himself be restricted by one line he could easily change.
Yeah. Especially, he can forget, how he already did about Lauch.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Well, yeah. It might be a throw away line. Then again, it might not be, if we think about that whole "making sure it fits with EOZ" idea they seem so keen on. I was pointing out that it wasn't Bulma exaggerating here. It seems to be that they legitimately didn't see each other for five years. This scene was probably to show once again how flighty Goku is where his relationship with his friends is concerned, but back then people also assumed that he had also not met with Vegeta for that long too (which was why he came along with Bulma). You can find a way to write around Bulma and Goku not seeing each other for five years, but that's not going to work the other fighting characters.
Toriyama is not going to let himself be restricted by one line he could easily change.
Not saying he would, or he should, only that he made sure to mention that EOZ is still gonna happen like it was depicted. Saw the quote from the interview not too long ago, that's why it got me thinking.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Maybe they want to make a new Dragon Ball show that starts from when Goku leaves with Uub, and that's why they are ending Super at episode 133? But honestly I don't think that's the case, as it would be stupid to suddenly dump the Super brand unless Toriyama stops writing it.
Though if a new show really happens that would be their chance to actually make it look really good, so better designs, better shading, better colors and backgrounds like in the 2008 special.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:40 pm

I've never seen that scene in the manga before(not allowed to post illegally hosted scans here, by the way). Is that translation accurate? Because it's actually saying it's been five years since Goku decided to visit them, not five years since he's seen them.

"We'd never see you if we didn't drop in on you."
"That's not true. I visited you five years ago."

"If we didn't drop in on you" actually implies they've seen him more recently than that.
Last edited by Simere on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jaden » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Does anyone have the japanese romaji lyrics of the full version of limit break or will it take some time until someone makes one?

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Errrr no, I didn't /don't like people speculating about the end of DBS because the BD Box has one freaking extra episode...
Same here people need to chill out with that stuff especially with the whole supers ending crap

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 pm

HeroR wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
It would only work if it's like Duck Tales with Goku being like Scrooge, imo.
But they've already setup the scenario perfectly, They gave Future Trunks a crappy unsatisfying ending. It's the perfect opportunity to make a "time patrol" spin off. It's perfect because Trunks could travel to any point in time in any universe. It gives Future Trunks and Mai something to do other than exist and I doubt it's a coincidence they survived as a team.