"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:11 am

Lionel wrote:Frankly, I would have likely preferred Jiren getting taken out by some clever elimination tactic involving what Goku initially attempted during their rematch or by using the Mafuba. Yes, it's terribly uneventful, but it sounds more original than Goku simply having one last grandiose pummeling match with the Pride Trooper. Maybe I just don't care for Ultra Instinct Goku all too much.
Hey, man. Original doesn't mean better. Trunks sliced merged zamasu in half with a spirit bomb blade. Original? Yes.

The most dumbest thing i have ever witnessed in dragon Ball history? Absolutely.

Lets stick to punching matches. Thats what dragon Ball fights are known for. If we were bored with that, we check out in Z.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:47 am

I suppose that's true from a relativistic standpoint. Me? I find the traditional combat mechanics system to have become adulterated with mostly just a pretense of what people describe as technical aptitude. It's a universalised and streamlined method of choreography that can only be dressed up and used so many times before it turns dry. If they want to continue using that generic "bar-brawlish" standard then I'll redirect my personal hopes to the moments where a spark of original and unconventional devices are used -- Krillin's preparatory sparring match with Gohan that saw him win through clever usage of his abilities being one mild but credible example. It's short-lived and minor but there.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 am

Mercenary wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:
Totamo wrote: Ultra instinct has not been shown to increase his power. Case in point, 110 and when he fought kefla. 17 says it but its not shown and since this is anime, show beats tell.

That being said, this is how he got it before so it is not contradictory and does make sense with you know your body moving by yourself because you lose consciousness but your body is still moving.

Even if that doesn't make a lot sense, it still does make more than Vegeta's blue nakama form that belongs more in fairy tail than in dragon ball.
Vegeta's form is meaningless anyways... at least compared to Goku's limit breaker form. I don't understand why people keep comparing the two when Beyond SSB is more comparable to EP 123 SSBKKX20 and maybe EP 110 UI Omen. What's even more ridiculous is the BS Fairy Tale like way he got the form and how he couldn't use it's full power against Jiren at the end when it mattered the most. Probably because Toei didn't want to damage the forms credibility any further by having it job to Jiren in favor of UI Omen, so they play the safe route by letting Vegeta be out of power and get eliminated in his base form after getting his victory against the ole Yosemite Sam of U11.
Because if Toei had balls, they would let Vegeta NOT be the jobber for freaking once, but hey, what should I expect from them except for generic writing?
Goku was the jobber here, man. And had Vegeta gone out in 126, people would have conplained that he isn't in the finak battle.

I know this because many were happy that he wasn't kicked out in 126.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Lionel wrote:I suppose that's true from a relativistic standpoint. Me? I find the traditional combat mechanics system to have become adulterated with mostly just a pretense of what people describe as technical aptitude. It's a universalised and streamlined method of choreography that can only be dressed up and used so many times before it turns dry. If they want to continue using that generic "bar-brawlish" standard then I'll redirect my personal hopes to the moments where a spark of original and unconventional devices are used -- Krillin's preparatory sparring match with Gohan that saw him win through clever usage of his abilities being one mild but credible example. It's short-lived and minor but there.
You mean the fight that angered pkenty of fans because skill has never mattered since the dragon Ball tournaments. In Z, you know the one most fans are a fan of, it was straight power. While I can commend that, it does not seem natural to what came before. This is the biggest problem super has had, is it wants to be different but it has to stick to Z rules that came before so they just flat out ignore them. Had this been Z, it would not have even been a battle royale. 12 guys would have flared thier aura and everyone else gets blown out.

I mean, the comments on that fight were surprised that Krillin could even do that kind of tactic. What does that tell you, my friend.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Totamo wrote:
Mercenary wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:
Vegeta's form is meaningless anyways... at least compared to Goku's limit breaker form. I don't understand why people keep comparing the two when Beyond SSB is more comparable to EP 123 SSBKKX20 and maybe EP 110 UI Omen. What's even more ridiculous is the BS Fairy Tale like way he got the form and how he couldn't use it's full power against Jiren at the end when it mattered the most. Probably because Toei didn't want to damage the forms credibility any further by having it job to Jiren in favor of UI Omen, so they play the safe route by letting Vegeta be out of power and get eliminated in his base form after getting his victory against the ole Yosemite Sam of U11.
Because if Toei had balls, they would let Vegeta NOT be the jobber for freaking once, but hey, what should I expect from them except for generic writing?
Goku was the jobber here, man. And had Vegeta gone out in 126, people would have conplained that he isn't in the finak battle.

Goku was the jobber? Goku will most likely defeat Jiren or at least take it to a draw.

As for Vegeta, how does it matter that he made it to the finals? They've just done him dirty, that's all.

People wanted him to last after EP.126, because they didn't expect Toei to let him job again xD. They were hoping for a fusion, I dunno, joining forces with Goku and defeating Jiren, something like this.

It was cool to see Vegeta caring more about survival, his family and his universe than his own selfish pride but we've been there too many times. We ALL KNOW he is developed AF, there's no point in showing us this constantly.

And add to it the fact that Frieza is still around and...[spoiler]there's still a possibility #17 outlasted him.[/spoiler] That just increases the anger inside Vegeta's fanbase.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:13 pm

I know this pic has already been posted, but if each Volume continues to have 4 chapters of content, then the manga might end with Chapter 40(November 2018).

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:32 pm

The notion of "strategy" and "technique" is effectively void of dimensionality or volume -- most of what we see is just pedestaled two or three-step cloak & dagger manoeuvres. When the substance of your characters' actions is determined by an overworked and lethargic gag artist who may arguably have been out of his element, it doesn't sound all too surprising that what we hailed as being so impressive would retroactively look bland when we reminisce. I suppose when you're looking at the fights in that context, the physical conduct of these fighters could be typified as little more than glorified apes biting and scratching at one another. At the same time, I feel that when you decide to try and put greater emphasis on traits that run in contradiction to the simplicity that you've worked so long to establish with this recent arc then you've put yourself in the line of sight for criticism -- then again, I feel there's a good number of creative decisions with this tournament that could be criticised.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Lionel wrote:The notion of "strategy" and "technique" is effectively void of dimensionality or volume -- most of what we see is just pedestaled two or three-step cloak & dagger manoeuvres. When the substance of your characters' actions is determined by an overworked and lethargic gag artist who may arguably have been out of his element, it doesn't sound all too surprising that what we hailed as being so impressive would retroactively look bland when we reminisce. I suppose when you're looking at the fights in that context, the physical conduct of these fighters could be typified as little more than glorified apes biting and scratching at one another. At the same time, I feel that when you decide to try and put greater emphasis on traits that run in contradiction to the simplicity that you've worked so long to establish with this recent arc then you've put yourself in the line of sight for criticism -- then again, I feel there's a good number of creative decisions with this tournament that could be criticised.
while I've enjoyed the arc a lot is far from beyond critic. "strategy" and "technique" was clearly not going to play a big part when Universe 4 (a universe idnetified for it sneakynuss) got so badly handeled and was turned into a bunch of gimmick characters.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Mercenary wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Mercenary wrote:

Goku was the jobber? Goku will most likely defeat Jiren or at least take it to a draw.

As for Vegeta, how does it matter that he made it to the finals? They've just done him dirty, that's all.

People wanted him to last after EP.126, because they didn't expect Toei to let him job again xD. They were hoping for a fusion, I dunno, joining forces with Goku and defeating Jiren, something like this.

It was cool to see Vegeta caring more about survival, his family and his universe than his own selfish pride but we've been there too many times. We ALL KNOW he is developed AF, there's no point in showing us this constantly.

And add to it the fact that Frieza is still around and...[spoiler]there's still a possibility #17 outlasted him.[/spoiler] That just increases the anger inside Vegeta's fanbase.
We all knew this was going to come down to Goku vs Jiren. The opening, the special, the fact that he looks at Goku and say i have defeated everyone that is worth my time.there was no way they use fusion or work together here. They wouldn't want to win s tournament that way. Especially Goku, who may i remind, started this whole thing for a challenge.

People wanted vegeta to go to the finals for the same reason Gohan fans wanted him to be defeated by Toppo. It just sounds better than Gohan losing to Dyspo or Vegeta blowing himself to beat Toppo.

I mean sure did vegeta got defeated by jiren but so did Hit and Goku and he had the best showing murdering the power scale even more.

The only way toei could have given him a better showing is if he beat jiren himself but that was never the plan.

I don't want to insult you, but they gave him a new form, they gave him a megawin, they gave him a speech and they gave him a heartwarming moment. No other character got this much love except goku who is the MC, yet you say he was done dirty.

I mean, just, maybe they should have left him on Earth. Would that have made you happy.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Totamo wrote:
Mercenary wrote:
Totamo wrote: Goku was the jobber here, man. And had Vegeta gone out in 126, people would have conplained that he isn't in the finak battle.

We all knew this was going to come down to Goku vs Jiren. The opening, the special, the fact that he looks at Goku and say i have defeated everyone that is worth my time.there was no way they use fusion or work together here. They wouldn't want to win s tournament that way. Especially Goku, who may i remind, started this whole thing for a challenge.

People wanted vegeta to go to the finals for the same reason Gohan fans wanted him to be defeated by Toppo. It just sounds better than Gohan losing to Dyspo or Vegeta blowing himself to beat Toppo.

I mean sure did vegeta got defeated by jiren but so did Hit and Goku and he had the best showing murdering the power scale even more.

The only way toei could have given him a better showing is if he beat jiren himself but that was never the plan.

I don't want to insult you, but they gave him a new form, they gave him a megawin, they gave him a speech and they gave him a heartwarming moment. No other character got this much love except goku who is the MC, yet you say he was done dirty.

I mean, just, maybe they should have left him on Earth. Would that have made you happy.

Nah, that's cool, I don't feel offended/insulted in any manner. And my point was different.

My point was - they shouldn't have let him face Jiren once again, especially in his base form only to make him look worse as he looked against Kid Buu. I just don't like rewatching the same self-perpetuating formula over and over.

And I didn't want to take the "W" from Goku, it was obvious he would be the one to defeat Jiren (if anyone is destined to defeat him).

As a Vegeta fan I would just prefer him to go out with Toppo, because at least it wouldn't downgrade his new transformation that much and we could still debate if Mastered UI is better than this.

And after Vegeta's regained his strength in EP.127, I don't know if it was still as powerful as it was against Toppo, but his poor performance against Jiren surely downgraded this transformation and it's not really anything special now, at least in comparison to UI.

If I had to compare it to something, it's something like USSJ in comparison to SSJ2. It's new, it's kinda unique for Vegeta (I know, Trunks had it as well), but it's nothing impressive.

TL;DR - if they let Vegeta go out with Toppo and in that case, they wouldn't make his new transformation weak, I would be OK with it (and you're talking to Vegeta fan).

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Jiren - 129 Preview Image
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:18 pm

Liquir wrote:Jiren - 129 Preview Image
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That is creepy as all hell.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:18 pm

Jiren must be serious now, judging by the expression on his face and the colourful garishness encompassing his person.

To Lord Frieza: Is that for lack of trying or because they're functionally and creatively incapable of renovating the system that they use? Maybe the revenue gives them a sense of security that's so strong that they feel nothing needs to be changed. I guess when you look at it like that it might explain some things.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Mercenary wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Mercenary wrote:

Nah, that's cool, I don't feel offended/insulted in any manner. And my point was different.

My point was - they shouldn't have let him face Jiren once again, especially in his base form only to make him look worse as he looked against Kid Buu. I just don't like rewatching the same self-perpetuating formula over and over.

And I didn't want to take the "W" from Goku, it was obvious he would be the one to defeat Jiren (if anyone is destined to defeat him).

As a Vegeta fan I would just prefer him to go out with Toppo, because at least it wouldn't downgrade his new transformation that much and we could still debate if Mastered UI is better than this.

And after Vegeta's regained his strength in EP.127, I don't know if it was still as powerful as it was against Toppo, but his poor performance against Jiren surely downgraded this transformation and it's not really anything special now, at least in comparison to UI.

If I had to compare it to something, it's something like USSJ in comparison to SSJ2. It's new, it's kinda unique for Vegeta (I know, Trunks had it as well), but it's nothing impressive.

TL;DR - if they let Vegeta go out with Toppo and in that case, they wouldn't make his new transformation weak, I would be OK with it (and you're talking to Vegeta fan).
That makes sense.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Totamo wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That is creepy as all hell.
Why?
I mean I too at first thought it was creepy, because without zooming in on mobile, I couldn't see that he was not laughing, as it initially looked like.
It's just a standard open mouth.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Jiren looks like a dolphin in that shot

Maybe he's flipper in disguise

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:25 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Jirens aura looks identical to MUI gokus aura, except red. Interesting

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Super Saiyan Silver:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Basaku on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Basaku wrote:Super Saiyan Silver:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Uhm we already had that image yesterday. It’s nothing new now and it’s all over the internet.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Basaku wrote:Super Saiyan Silver:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Uhm we already had that image yesterday. It’s nothing new now and it’s all over the internet.
Nevermind then 8)