"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:23 pm

One universe must have two gods named Tequila and Rum.
Toriyama, make this a thing!
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Unicorn_Bazooka wrote:I don't know if someone has pointed this out before (I'm just too lazy to scroll and look at the earlier posts) , but with all these new god characters being named after alcohol beverages, I pretty convinced that the pattern of how they're named is that their power reflects the amount of alcohol present in the beverage they're named after.

Since Beerus apparently is the weakest God of Destruction of the 12 universes (presumably, I still haven't found a reliable source on this, but it fits here) him being named after beer fits this theory, as its alcohol percentage is so low, usually around 3%-12%. Whiskey on the other hand, has a whooping 40%-68%, and pretty much explains Whis' massive power.
Plus the new character Champa, (who's almost without doubt another God of Destruction) fits the idea of other gods being more powerful than Beerus, with champagne being 15% percent alcohol on the average. Now we'll just have to see what his assistant is named after so we can measure things further.

Now of course I have absolutely no clue if this is what Toriyama intended, but I'm just theorizing.
Nice one, bro. I can think of this like that. The Toei wanted Beerus to be a pun on Virus... But as I know it Toriyama misunderstood their intention and believed it to be a pun on the Beer. So if this Champa guy is based on Champagne, then he should be another God of Destruction from an unseen universe.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Someone suggested that the 9-star Dragon Ball could be from Universe 9, which would have sets of 9 Dragon Balls the same way the main universe (Universe 7) has sets of 7 Dragon Balls. If that's true, there must be lots of wishes granted in Universe 1 with single-star Dragon Balls.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Unicorn_Bazooka wrote:I don't know if someone has pointed this out before (I'm just too lazy to scroll and look at the earlier posts) , but with all these new god characters being named after alcohol beverages, I pretty convinced that the pattern of how they're named is that their power reflects the amount of alcohol present in the beverage they're named after.

Since Beerus apparently is the weakest God of Destruction of the 12 universes (presumably, I still haven't found a reliable source on this, but it fits here) him being named after beer fits this theory, as its alcohol percentage is so low, usually around 3%-12%. Whiskey on the other hand, has a whooping 40%-68%, and pretty much explains Whis' massive power.
Plus the new character Champa, (who's almost without doubt another God of Destruction) fits the idea of other gods being more powerful than Beerus, with champagne being 15% percent alcohol on the average. Now we'll just have to see what his assistant is named after so we can measure things further.

Now of course I have absolutely no clue if this is what Toriyama intended, but I'm just theorizing.
Strongest god will be named Recs.
Seriously though, good theory.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:04 pm

I'm still not convinced that their rebooting BOG as much as their simply adding to it but I'll reserve judgment till we have more info.

I can't wait to see Champa however as a huge fan of Beerus and someone who is a little overweight himself, he could turn out to be my new favorite character.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Chapter 1 is not the entire episode 1, just the first part...

Talking about weekly chapters size:
1 anime episode = 2 manga chapters, at least.
If an anime episode doesn't cover at least that, its because it's dragging on with filler.
Example: Some DBZ fights back then, and One piece these last years.

Sometimes, if the chapter has few content, the anime episode can cover more than 2 chapters.

The most disappointing thing about Super chapter 1 is its size. Its a monthly chapter but has the size of a weekly one...
Weekly chapter = 17/20 pages
Monthly chapter = 33+ pages

Just like ROF chapters, this one should have 30 + pages. Wait a month for just this content is disappointing.

And damn no new TV ad this week... I was expecting a new TV ad every week now until Super debuts. :thumbdown:

Wow...This is one of those things we should just email to Toriyama (if he isn't following this thought already)
Good thinking, great stuff. :thumbup:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:13 pm

After thinking about it I Think BoG will get re-written but RoF will be relegated to something that happened while Goku and Vegeta where training with Whis and only show as part of a training montage or briefly mentioned.

while i would love a Resurrection of Freeza Saga I find it hard to believe they would ret-con both movies.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:15 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:After thinking about it I Think BoG will get re-written but RoF will be relegated to something that happened while Goku and Vegeta where training with Whis and only show as part of a training montage or briefly mentioned.
They don't even have to mention RF really, I mean Goku and Vegeta both attain SSGSS before the film and Freeza is taken care of within the film. The only thing of note that was revealed in the film is Whis's ability to turn back time, which can easily be explained in the show.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Haha, that alcohol-content theory is really cool! I think I'd love it if that's what they were secretly doing...it'd be very Dragon Ball.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:18 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Lord Freeza wrote:After thinking about it I Think BoG will get re-written but RoF will be relegated to something that happened while Goku and Vegeta where training with Whis and only show as part of a training montage or briefly mentioned.
They don't even have to mention RF really, I mean Goku and Vegeta both attain SSGSS before the film and Freeza is taken care of within the film. The only thing of note that was revealed in the film is Whis's ability to turn back time, which can easily be explained in the show.
Your right I suppose, RoF like Bojack Unbound is a movie that can take place in the series because it fits in without really clashing with the timeline at all.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Captain Space wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:
I see it differently:

1: Dragon Ball (manga).
2: Dragon Ball - Z - GT.
3: Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball (Z) Kai.
4: Dragon Ball - Z - BOG - ROF.

I'll have my opinion about Super's placement once we know if it does or doesn't rewrite the movies.
However, I won't include it in any of the first two timelines: I like to think about the manga and the 3 classic anime series as a finished story.
Don't the new movies follow manga-canon though? So they can't be a follow up to the Z anime in that sense.
The manga and anime continuities don't differ that much, so the movies can follow either of them IMO. I prefer to count them as belonging to the anime rather than the manga.

As I've said, I prefer to see the original run of the manga as a complete story without anything else to add, in which ten years of peace after Buu's defeat mean exactly that, not "ten years of peace in which we were attacked by two of Freeza's former henchmen, the God of Destruction, a resurrected Freeza and God knows what else" :D
Marco Polo wrote:Someone suggested that the 9-star Dragon Ball could be from Universe 9, which would have sets of 9 Dragon Balls the same way the main universe (Universe 7) has sets of 7 Dragon Balls. If that's true, there must be lots of wishes granted in Universe 1 with single-star Dragon Balls.
Maybe there's no Dragon Radar in Universe 1, so there is only one Dragon Ball, but it's a pain to find :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:36 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: And damn no new TV ad this week... I was expecting a new TV ad every week now until Super debuts. :thumbdown:
Well, rejoyce, with Kai ending next Sunday, you'll have a mandatory 30-seconds preview for Super, guaranteed!

Abel Taylor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abel Taylor » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Captain Space wrote:Haha, that alcohol-content theory is really cool! I think I'd love it if that's what they were secretly doing...it'd be very Dragon Ball.
Or Ethan/Ethyl for pure Ethanol. Puns are fun.
Hi! My name's Abel, and I'm pretty awesome.
VegettoEX wrote: Abel is pretty awesome.
SaiyaJedi wrote: Abel is the best contributor to this forum ever! He's the true Julian #1
Herms wrote: Abel is so awesome that I forgot how to speak Japanese.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Funny thought the Super manga is the first time we've seen Beerus actually doing his job. Before this he's only destroyed two suns off screen and that wasn't entirely intentional.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:40 pm

I highly doubt it was, guess we should chalk it down to another happy accident lol. Interesting theory though I like it, hopefully someone at TOEI caught on it, guess we will find out soon.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Abel Taylor wrote:
Captain Space wrote:Haha, that alcohol-content theory is really cool! I think I'd love it if that's what they were secretly doing...it'd be very Dragon Ball.
Or Ethan/Ethyl for pure Ethanol. Puns are fun.
How about something with methanol? The character would be stronger than someone named after ethanol, because methanol is toxic :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:01 pm

SSJ God Gogeta wrote:One universe must have two gods named Tequila and Rum.
I'm still hoping for Toriyama to names some of the future Gods either Sherry, Madeira or Marsala. Then we would have come full circle with alcohol based names in the series.

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:54 pm

I was looking for information about the Taiwanese dub of Buu Kai, and I found on the FTV facebook page for the show (FTV is the channel that will air Buu Kai) something that might be interesting: apparently they do have the rights of Super.
The facebook translator isn't that good, so I can't confirm that. Does anyone here know mandarin?

The comment

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:57 pm

SSJ God Gogeta wrote:One universe must have two gods named Tequila and Rum.
Or Rum and Coke, Gin and Tonic

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Re: Gods with alcoholic beverage for names

Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama