"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:39 pm

Nothing says there couldn't have been a week in between Beerus' breakfast and his meeting with the Yogengyo, but it's more than obvious that the logical progression of events is that it's right after. Beerus is not a patient guy. He has his "Aha, Super Saiyan God" moment and he wants confirmation from the oracle that predicted the rival as well. Not going to see her immediately would seem way more off than them animating a new adaptation of this stuff.

You could maybe excuse Beerus forgetting Super Saiyan God, because he does so a couple of times in the film. But Whis is clearly unaware Beerus had a prophetic dream in the manga adaption at least, despite having the conversation with Beerus in the film and reminding the Hakaishin about Super Saiyan God when he forgets.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:41 pm

The thing is that Beerus remembers SSG right AFTER he woke up. So, it really wouldn't make much sense for him to remember it and tell Whis (BoG), then go destroy some planet, then tell Whis about SSG and then Whis tells him to go back so they can talk about it (Super ch. 1). It just doesn't fit.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:43 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: By the way:
Close enough!
Oh god! That's actually brilliant! I can't believe it didn't even cross my mind.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: By the way:
Close enough!
Oh god! That's actually brilliant! I can't believe it didn't even cross my mind.

That's fucking awesome but...why does Goten look...smaller O_o.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:49 pm

Is there anyway that it can fit without it possibly being a retelling?

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Yeah I thought that GmGoken, Goten looks like he's about 5 judging by his height in that picture. Oh well, might just be a one off.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:56 pm

Bullza wrote:Is there anyway that it can fit without it possibly being a retelling?
If it's right before Beerus goes on his 39 year nap, sure. But it doesn't seem like it, chapter 1 gives us the impression that Goku farming and Beerus destroying that planet are two things happening simultaneously.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:59 pm

The Champa stuff can fit perfectly into it, if after the end of BOG Champa shows up on Beerus' planet wakes him up wants to fight him etc... finds out he's tired from fighting Goku.... travels to earth... Beerus helps out hence Goku and Vegeta formally being allowed to train under Whis.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:The Champa stuff can fit perfectly into it, if after the end of BOG Champa shows up on Beerus' planet wakes him up wants to fight him etc... finds out he's tired from fighting Goku.... travels to earth... Beerus helps out hence Goku and Vegeta formally being allowed to train under Whis.
It doesn't fit because of chapter one of Super. Beerus remembers Super Saiyan God, in the movie, literally after he wakes up, he's still in his pajamas. Yet in the manga, he remembers SSG only after hearing about that Soup Yasai Jinkot or whatever, and Whis seems unaware of SSG too, despite Beerus telling him about it when he woke up in BoG.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bullza wrote:Is there anyway that it can fit without it possibly being a retelling?
If it's right before Beerus goes on his 39 year nap, sure. But it doesn't seem like it, chapter 1 gives us the impression that Goku farming and Beerus destroying that planet are two things happening simultaneously.
Well that couldn't be it because it's immediately followed up with a reaction from Elder Supreme Kai who would have been in the Z Sword.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Really i don't see the point of a retelling the movie is still fresh in everybody's mind
Last edited by pacz360 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:06 pm

-Just remembered Nakao (Freeza voice actor) comment saying he could be back for super-
Maybe he was talking about Goku mind training in episode 1? Or hitting that Super could retell ROF?!
I agree with the idea that ROF doesn't need to be mentioned at all. Just like Bojack Unbound, fits the timeline, may have happened but that's it. Move on.
TheGmGoken wrote: That's fucking awesome but...why does Goten look...smaller O_o.
Because that's how the new stuff rolls. Never older, always younger!
Gohan seems younger in ROF too.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:09 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Am I the only one that wants it to be a retelling (for at least a quarter of the story)?

I might actually like the content this time around!
No, I'd love it if it were a re-telling as well. A reboot (done right) of the franchise is one of the top things on my wishlist, so this is the next best thing, I guess.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Am I the only one that wants it to be a retelling (for at least a quarter of the story)?

I might actually like the content this time around!
No, I'd love it if it were a re-telling as well. A reboot (done right) of the franchise is one of the top things on my wishlist, so this is the next best thing, I guess.
I deleted that! Felt like a dickish comment. :oops:

But yeah, I would like a retelling. It reminds me of Tenchi Universe, which was a television retelling of the OVA, only it diverged from the story found in the original. I happened to have enjoyed Universe more than all the Tenchis. =D
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Why do Beerus look like he's copied and paste onto a pre existing image? Like a blue screen effect but..anime? He looks as if he wasn't... included in the scene but was stamped on? And not to nitpick but why is his right arm
...not connected to him

Beerus looks like he's watching the fight on AMC movies not fighting himself
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:21 pm

You said it better than I could Goken!
That's exactly what I thought too, when that gif was first posted in this thread. I thought someone had edited in Beerus, rather than it being the real thing!
Last edited by dbgtFO on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:22 pm

If that red monster did those "ata ta ta tas" on Gohan, Gohan wouldn't know he's already dead.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:25 pm

dbgtFO wrote:You said it better than I could Goken!
That's exactly what I thought too, when that gif was first posted in this thread. I thought someone had edited in Beerus, rather than it being the real thing!
It's edited, it's not the real thing. You can see Beerus' punches at the bottom if you look closely.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Uh, I made that gif, it's not edited. The trailer ripped from the official website is literally on the front page of Kanzenshuu, and the scene is exactly the same there as it is in the gif.

It's just bad animation. He's meant to be punching with one hand, and what you're looking at is an animator's terrible sense of perspective.
Last edited by Ajay on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:34 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:If that red monster did those "ata ta ta tas" on Gohan, Gohan wouldn't know he's already dead.
Fist of North Star!
Marco Polo wrote: You can see Beerus' punches at the bottom if you look closely.
Good eye. I didn't catch that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.