Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 08, 2015 10:51 am

Dyno wrote:Actually, there are indeed some statements. I listed every single one here.

Jaco was said to "tie-in" with Dragon Ball manga, so yes... All that happened in Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman manga is "canon" to the main continuity, along with that, you could say Dragon Ball Minus is as well.
Are either one in the 42 volumes?

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri May 08, 2015 10:56 am

Think they are, can't confirm though. I didn't buy a box containing all Dragon Ball mangas in the past year. Even though, this has nothing to do with anything.

tienfan

Post by tienfan » Fri May 15, 2015 1:18 pm

I don't think so, (because there are) too many cool characters to be put into videogames.
tenkaichi 2/budokai 2 best p4p dragon ball z games ever made
dragon ball»dragon ball z

tien fan for life

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Post by Captain Sauza » Fri May 15, 2015 2:07 pm

I think so. I'd prefer for GT to be ignored anyway.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

Sanyo96

Post by Sanyo96 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:16 pm

I doubt it even though people don't seem to like GT all that much, the Super Saiyan 4 form was still pretty cool and a lot of fans liked it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Sanyo96 wrote:I doubt it even though people don't seem to like GT all that much, the Super Saiyan 4 form was still pretty cool and a lot of fans liked it.
A bit of cognitive dissonance here, maybe? :P

GT's popular enough to where the rights-holders don't want to avoid it entirely. It's not going anywhere.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri May 22, 2015 10:35 am

My hope is that GT will be abolished by default, timeline-wise... plus, I'm pretty done with this "between Buu and Uub" phase of new Dragon Ball material (it's like the Dragon Ball equivalent of The Clone Wars in Star Wars some years back)--basing a show around that shit (say, right after Freeza's defeated or something) will just make it feel like Dragon Ball Z: BoG/RoF: The Series, and while that would be fairly interesting and I'm sure quite enjoyable, they'd be missing a trick there by making it its own thing. I hope not including "Z" in the title means more than just simply a new title. Like I said before, Super should be to Z what Z was to DB (I know manga-wise they're the same, but stylistically that period represented a shift). This should definitely be a new thing, because I think that's what people want, and they should keep making Z movies following along up until the Tenkaichi Budokai where Uub appears, and let Super be a brand new beast. Which means we'd be getting something entirely new, while still getting new Z. Win-win.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Cadellin

Post by Cadellin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:06 am

My two cents on the whole timelines vs universes debate-

From a physics standpoint, 'alternate timelines' are different from 'alternate universes.' Superstring theory requires ten dimensions, usually given as four spatial, three temporal, and three to give shape to the multiverse. While alternate timelines exist as a result of different choices being made- a coin toss landing differently is the classic example- The universes are differentiated by cosmic-level differences. For example, an alternate universe where the boiling point of hydrogen is a degree higher; a change that could not occur through choices in our timeline as it is a result of the makeup of the zero dimensional, timeless singularity that gave birth to our universe.

That being said, this is Dragonball. In fiction, the words 'timeline' and 'universe' get thrown around pretty interchangably. One other universe could well be Trunks' timeline, or a GT timeline. Only time will tell.

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Dude, did you just try to look at Dragonball in the context of superstring theory? what are you smoking?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:00 pm

It's possible that infinite amount of timelines where created when Trunks went back in time. We know that there are four times, but there might be more. Trunks in Xenoverse mention that the GT timeline was create as a side effect of traveling back in time with his machine. It's possible that DB Movies 1-4 and DBZ Movies 1-13 where also different timelines that where created by Future Trunks. I would be okay if Toriyama said that GT was set in a different timeline from the manga and most fans would be happy by that then just saying "Not canon!".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cadellin

Post by Cadellin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:20 pm

mogi67 wrote:Dude, did you just try to look at Dragonball in the context of superstring theory? what are you smoking?
You'd be surprised how many people ask me the second on a daily basis. But anyway, my point is that until we know what they mean by 'alternate universes', all the doors are open.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Not at all, I mean... Is there a lot of facts that can "ignore" GT like "Golden Freeza", "Super Saiyan God", "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" but as long SUPER don't go beyond EoZ (which I doubt that will) GT will still be there
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:47 am

I honestly hope it will. GT is like the only bad thing that happened to the franchise, i hope that TOEI learned their lesson. GT was ok, i dont hate it, but it has so much wasted potential and major contradictions to the original manga, that its just better for everyone to be forgotten...

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:20 pm

I hope so. There are certain aspect of GT that I like, but I really think they need to just overwrite it. They should replace it with something better; that's what I think Super's going to be.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:45 am

I think it is best to think of GT as one of the 1-13 movies: they have fun moments, original villains that are interesting, but spending too much time trying to square away it with all the other canon is futile. I don't think they have to replace it or make any announcement, they are just on the same level as other DBZ stuff that Toei produced with little involvement from Toriyama other than character designs.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:43 pm

I hope so just cause it didn't really feel that Dragon Ball to me, and if Toriyama wants to do something that eventually conflicts with it, who's to restrict his story from having breathing room?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Fans have always ignored GT long before even Battle of Gods, Super isn't really going to affect anything. The most likely thing that could happen is that newer fans will be more familiar with Super than they are with GT. And even then, GT is still available to buy, and if it isn't new fans would eventually discover it. We discovered things like Goku's Traffic Safety so it wouldn't take long for some kid to find out GT was a thing

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:39 pm

ringworm128 wrote:Fans have always ignored GT long before even Battle of Gods, Super isn't really going to affect anything. The most likely thing that could happen is that newer fans will be more familiar with Super than they are with GT. And even then, GT is still available to buy, and if it isn't new fans would eventually discover it. We discovered things like Goku's Traffic Safety so it wouldn't take long for some kid to find out GT was a thing
Dont forget summer vacation special and looking back at it all dbz year end show :)

lordsigma

Post by lordsigma » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:01 am

Trying to fit the Dragon Ball material into one continuity is clearly impossible. I think of it as three separate timelines/alternate universes.

You have the original manga continuity which consists of the manga itself and is the original story on which the anime adaptation are based. The only thing "canon" to the manga is the manga itself.

You have the original anime timeline, which consists of DB, DBZ, and DBGT with the Bardock and Trunks specials also considered "canon" to that timeline. The movies are a different deal and are their own thing outside of the timeline, but influenced by where the characters were in the show when said movie was produced.

I would consider Kai to be a reboot of the anime and its own separate timeline with Super being a sequel to Kai with the two recent movies fitting in here also sort of like the DB/DBZ movies of the original anime.

I think the above is the best way to fit everything somewhere.

My problem with saying whether things are "canon" or not is that Dragon Ball has had many inconsistencies over the years, many by Toei but also some by Toriyama himself. Remember that Super itself contradicts the earlier movies (that Toriyama was also involved in.) While clearly not all Dragon Ball material is created equally quality wise, nothing should be outright disregarded as if it never existed even if we don't like it as much as material directly pulled from the manga.

bubibartra
Beyond Newbie

Post by bubibartra » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:56 am

In my view:
Dragon ball Gt "canon of z movies 1-13" (Cooler,Gojeta,and many inconsistencies ...)
Dragon Ball Super is canon of Dragon ball Kai
Dragon Ball new films.... canon of DBZ anime :think: ?

Which is canon of the manga? Akira Toriyama is the author of the manga, he alone can decide this.

Just wait to clarify in an interview
Favorite Character: Vegeta
Seconds favorites caracteres:Goku , Piccolo
Previously I like: Kid Gohan
I do not like: Adult Gohan
I hope more: Trunks and Goten
I claim for: A girlfriend and a happy life for Yamcha. Women SSJ
Hate: Send all women to take care of children, including A18.
Need more of: Ten Sin Han