Fusions Revisited in Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Fusions Revisited in Dragon Ball Super

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 02, 2015 10:30 pm

sbk wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Vegeta surpassed Goku quite a few times post-Namek.

Please elaborate on how every non-Goku/Vegeta character is kinda permanently ruined now.
I only remember him passing Goku after the RoSaT, and only because he went in before Goku. Goku was overall way superior to him on Namek, during Cell, and Buu arc.
Vegeta surpassed Goku when he was battling Second and Thrid Form Freeza, when he was battling #19 and when he battled Semi Perfect Cell. In latter two situations, Vegeta not only surpassed Goku, but was effectively the strongest character in the show.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 am

sbk wrote:-For them to not be nerfed (especially Gohan, Gotenks (in BoG) and Piccolo) and be so weak in the first place. They should be able to keep up with Goku
We know that Gohan, Goten, and Trunks didn't train within those 10 years, so it would have been inconsistent for them to keep up with Goku. As for them being nerfed, I'm disappointed as well, but the only reason I'm kinda OK with it is because even if we had seen U. Gohan & SS3 Gotenks, nothing would have changed.
-For them do something worthwhile (beating fodder doesn't count). Like giving Freeza a legitimately hard time, or actually help out
They are so weak, how would they be able to help?
-Or just not feature them at all and focus on just Goku/Vegeta/Beerus/Whis/Freeza if they're not gonna do anything worthwhile
I prefer them getting at least some good fighting scenes than having them doing nothing & waiting for Goku to save them.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun May 03, 2015 2:32 pm

I think what I would like would be to have the other characters going on adventures too or just doing something else than getting one-shotted. I had a lot of fun reading the Namek arc, because even though it was obvious that Goku was the one who was going to win in the end, I could still follow Gohan and Kuririn's adventures and Vegeta's strategies and whatnot. It's more entertaining when you have an ensemble cast as charismatic as DB's is (especially because Toriyama has been praised for this before in interviews).

I wouldn't want fusions to be overused in DBS, but then again, I don't think they will be because I don't think Toriyama is too interested in bringing back something like that. Adult Gotenks would be pretty cool, but they should keep that as Goten and Trunks's special technique or something.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sun May 03, 2015 6:36 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:We know that Gohan, Goten, and Trunks didn't train within those 10 years
This doesn't need to happen in the first place. There are many ways they could write them rather than nerfing and shafting them :|
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:it would have been inconsistent for them to keep up with Goku
It's actually more inconsistent that Vegeta is somehow Goku's equal when he wasn't anywhere near Goku post-Saiyan arc throughout the whole manga (besides when Goku was handicapped in some way). Yet Gohan and Gotenks, who were far stronger than Goku just last arc, are made so much weaker than Goku and Vegeta (even before their godly power-ups).. And I don't see why Piccolo needs to be so weak either when Vegeta is now suddenly on Goku's level
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:They are so weak, how would they be able to help?
Well this wouldn't be a problem if they didn't make the rest so damn weak compared Goku and Vegeta in the first place >_> Like how it was in the manga

Anyway, for example: Tien has that Kikoho technique, and Piccolo has the Makankosappo. Both attacks have hurt foes far above their power level. They could've developed these techniques off screen to reduce their backdraws. Krillin could've used his cunningness and Kienzan. Keep Gohan and Gotenks top tier like in the manga.

There are many ways to not make them so useless if they tried Image. Like why feature these characters only for them to be nerfed and relegated to doing absolutely nothing worthwhile?

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun May 03, 2015 7:28 pm

I think it would be interesting if a new enemy appears that makes Goten and Trunks need to step it up even if they've slacked off previously. Kinda like what happened with Gohan and Buu. I don't care if Gohan isn't a main character anymore because for him not being a fighter anymore and being dedicated to academic life makes sense, but I don't want Goten and Trunks to just go away like it's nothing because there's still hope that they might be relevant.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun May 03, 2015 11:04 pm

It might be interesting to see a potara fusion featuring Goten and Trunks, but I'm really not itching for it and wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't see it.
Last edited by One_Instance on Mon May 04, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Mon May 04, 2015 1:29 pm

I'd like to see Gotenks pop up for some wacky hijinks.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu May 07, 2015 6:45 am

garnetjester wrote:I think it would be interesting if a new enemy appears that makes Goten and Trunks need to step it up even if they've slacked off previously. Kinda like what happened with Gohan and Buu. I don't care if Gohan isn't a main character anymore because for him not being a fighter anymore and being dedicated to academic life makes sense, but I don't want Goten and Trunks to just go away like it's nothing because there's still hope that they might be relevant.
It's been a long time since I've seen the End of Z (and I never read the manga), but isn't it said that Goten had been training with Goku before the Tournament and Goku told Goten and Trunks to keep up with their training when he left, or was that just a dub or anime only thing? If it did happen then they have a perfect way to have them start the series off as not being weak (assuming the series is after the EoZ) They could also say that Gohan decided to start doing some training along side his scholarly duties after RF if they intend to have him fight in the new series.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:03 am

Gotenks is Goten and Trunks' schtick at this point, so it would be odd to never see that fusion again.

Gogeta/Vegito... not so much. I really like the fusion itself, but I don't think it's very tonally consistent with the overall rivalry dynamic between Goku and Vegeta.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 pm

I think Gotenks is a safe bet.
He won't be revisited if Goten and Trunks haven't grown up, but he will be there and revisited if the two of them have grown up (just taller and with slightly more mature facial traits), as they will surely fuse if they are involved in a battle (unlike GT's logic!!).

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri May 08, 2015 7:12 pm

garnetjester wrote:I think what I would like would be to have the other characters going on adventures too or just doing something else than getting one-shotted. I had a lot of fun reading the Namek arc, because even though it was obvious that Goku was the one who was going to win in the end, I could still follow Gohan and Kuririn's adventures and Vegeta's strategies and whatnot. It's more entertaining when you have an ensemble cast as charismatic as DB's is (especially because Toriyama has been praised for this before in interviews).
Exactly. This should continue. Even if not everyone is as strong as Goku the plot could demand lots of different things done at the same time thus utilizing multiple characters as it was done in other arcs.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sat May 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Basaku wrote: Exactly. This should continue. Even if not everyone is as strong as Goku the plot could demand lots of different things done at the same time thus utilizing multiple characters as it was done in other arcs.
I merely hope they don't abuse Goku's Instant Transmission to fulfill all those things almost simultaneously.

Like many others I think Gotenks will appear since it's pretty much the defining ability of Goten and Trunks, but I honestly really hope Gotenks is the only one* and he's used sparingly. I got a bellyfull of fusion in the Buu saga and it didn't do much for me.

*Unless they want to make Tiencha or Kurricolo canon, in which case go nuts.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Fri May 22, 2015 6:58 am

TJVY wrote:Do you want fusions to be revisited in Dragon Ball Super?

I personally do not want anyone other than Gotenks fusing, I think it's a cheap battle tactic and should only be used as a least resort, it's not as satisfying when one singular charcter isn't the one doing the work. I've always thought Vegetto was OP and the thought of a SSGSS Vegeto doesn't fly too well with me.

What do you think?
You're right it is a cheap battle tactic that's why Toriyama probably used the Potara earrings instead of the Fusion for Goku and Bejita. Goten and Trunks need the fusion to keep up. And like I said before, Fusion is an end creation, a forced idea to make characters stronger because Tori didn't know how to make the characters stronger anymore and was ending the series. So no! please no fusion for Goku and Bejita. And I think Toriyama's Bejita haves to much pride to do the silly Fusion dance.