What do you hope not to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What do you hope not to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:51 am

One_Instance wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:- No more colorful transformations, please. Or just no SSJ transformations at all. I wish they would lose their God powers at the end... so badly.
I'll let you have your opinions with the your other ideas, but you're going to lose on this one. The more forms and different appearances that characters have, the more merchandise that'll be pumped out. Hopefully, they'll give us reasonable durations of time between each new form we see. I don't really want to see to many more forms either, or at least not for a long time, but this just makes the most sense.
I mean, I do want fusions and maybe new forms for characters like Piccolo. I wouldn't mind one final transformation for Goku or Vegeta either (at the very end of the series). But they keep pumping out these new SSJ God forms, and none of them look cool at all, which was never the case in the manga.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 05, 2015 8:48 am

Reused ideas and bad execution of ideas like in DBGT.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Tue May 05, 2015 12:05 pm

One_Instance wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:- No more colorful transformations, please. Or just no SSJ transformations at all. I wish they would lose their God powers at the end... so badly.
I'll let you have your opinions with the your other ideas, but you're going to lose on this one. The more forms and different appearances that characters have, the more merchandise that'll be pumped out. Hopefully, they'll give us reasonable durations of time between each new form we see. I don't really want to see to many more forms either, or at least not for a long time, but this just makes the most sense.
That would be a shame, if a good story is neglected (like transformations just for the sake of it) just for some merchandise sales..

I wonder if merch sales were on Toriyama's mind when he was writing the original manga

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 12:10 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Characters like Tarble, his wife, and cuddly aliens seem like attempts to make the show more kid-friendly, which we don't need.
Toriyama said that he was always writing his manga for young boys, and that he won't change his direction now. He said that new material will be quite simple and won't feature anything too serious or incomprehensible for children.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue May 05, 2015 1:28 pm

There isn't much for me...
  • Krillin dying. Again. The constant Krillin always dies jokes are getting tedious.

Any more super saiyan power ups. They've had enough.

Everyone who isn't Goku and Vegeta getting thrown around like ragdolls. At least have them put up some kind of fight before going down if they HAVE to go down.

Yamcha getting beaten as a way of pretending the new guy is a threat. Poor guy looks laughable.

Cell or Frieza returning again.

Supreme Kai. Ever again.
I think that's about it?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Akyon wrote:There isn't much for me...
  • Krillin dying. Again. The constant Krillin always dies jokes are getting tedious.

Any more super saiyan power ups. They've had enough.

Everyone who isn't Goku and Vegeta getting thrown around like ragdolls. At least have them put up some kind of fight before going down if they HAVE to go down.

Yamcha getting beaten as a way of pretending the new guy is a threat. Poor guy looks laughable.

Cell or Freeza returning again.

Supreme Kai. Ever again.
I think that's about it?
I will be happy if Yamcha appears in Dragon Ball Super at all.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: Characters like Tarble, his wife, and cuddly aliens seem like attempts to make the show more kid-friendly, which we don't need.
Toriyama said that he was always writing his manga for young boys, and that he won't change his direction now. He said that new material will be quite simple and won't feature anything too serious or incomprehensible for children.
I don't think young boys care for thise cuddly creatures, unless we're talking 5 year olds here. I fell in love with this series as a kid because it was cool. No need to make it MORE kid-friendly with this, and less violence,. In Minus, Toriyama also dehumanized Bardock's victims to make him seem like a good guy fighting bad guys. That's ridiculous. I feel the series has lost its edge.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Tue May 05, 2015 4:40 pm

sbk wrote:That would be a shame, if a good story is neglected (like transformations just for the sake of it) just for some merchandise sales..

I wonder if merch sales were on Toriyama's mind when he was writing the original manga
No way, not in the beginning at least. Maybe towards the end when he made loads of new characters, redesigns, and transformations, especially with all of Boo's forms, fusions, etc.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
Wow I can't believe I'm agreeing with you for once. DBZ is still the same as it was before. Kai was edited on Nick Toons and CW, so was DBZ on Toonami. Kai may had no blood when Radditz was killed but it's not the end of the world. For a series market to 4 - 13 years old in Japan, I can careless about blood and gore being edited out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue May 05, 2015 6:11 pm

Too many new transformations. They were done to death in Dragon Ball Z. We don't need every enemy and the most powerful good guys getting transformations.

Bad animation. this is probably my biggest fear. I'm not a great fan of the animation in the recent movies.

The Goku and Vegeta show. I don't mind Goku getting the most air time, i actually WANT Goku to get the most air time. What i don't want is Goku and Vegeta dominating the show together. The Manga and Anime's have been following the life of Goku, that is how it should remain.

Older characters being written off. There is a huge list of Characters in Dragon Ball, but i don't want them to be written out of the show like they did with Launch, give them their moments to shine.
Last edited by Scott on Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:
Wow I can't believe I'm agreeing with you for once. DBZ is still the same as it was before. Kai was edited on Nick Toons and CW, so was DBZ on Toonami. Kai may had no blood when Radditz was killed but it's not the end of the world. For a series market to 4 - 13 years old in Japan, I can careless about blood and gore being edited out.
That's because it was not my opinion, but what Toriyama said. It doesn't mean that I like it or that I agree with what he says.
Marco Polo wrote:

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 8:16 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:
I don't think young boys care for thise cuddly creatures, unless we're talking 5 year olds here. I fell in love with this series as a kid because it was cool. No need to make it MORE kid-friendly with this, and less violence,. In Minus, Toriyama also dehumanized Bardock's victims to make him seem like a good guy fighting bad guys. That's ridiculous. I feel the series has lost its edge.
5 years old probably do. Toriyama doesn't consider us anyway, so it will be as kid-friendly as possible, no matter if we like it or not.

This is the exact thing which I hate. I hate that evil/bad characters are being justified. I am fully well with some people having a bad past, which influenced them... But seriously. When the guy was stated to be a mass murderer, then he is a mass murderer. If saiyans were shown/said to destroying different races for Frieza, then they did it.

I faced it a lot of times. Like with Seto Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh, who was an evil prick in manga, yet later in an interview Kazuki Takahashi tried to justify him, by saying that he actually cared about his foster father, and that his death made him blame himself, which in his turn made him evil, which is a pile of crap, as Kaiba was shown having no remorse about his father's death and sadistically laughed at it in manga.

Or like Miles Edgeworth from Ace Attorney series was shown to be caring about the truth and finding a real culprit in flashback case in Investigations series, which is as well a pile of crap, as Miles Edgeworth from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney didn't care about the truth at all, and by his own words cared only about "getting a guilty verdict by any means possible". In fact he went as far as prosecuting the little sister of a victim, which he faced in court in his own first trial, as well as hiding the existence of real culprit and concealing the evidence for a trial. Heck, in his very first trial he covered up the culprit, and went as far as accusing the guy who clearly couldn't be the culprit with the knowledge he had... Yet, yeah... He didn't bother to tell it to a judge, let alone attorney, who is supposed to defend her client. And her client was set to be executed on a next day... Right. Who knows how many people were hanged because of this guy... But nah, in Ace Attorney Investigations he is suddenly a good guy, who cares about the truth... This is a way to make the whole first game of series worthless.

Heck, Toriyama seems doing it with Vegeta now, with all this stupid stuff about Beerus humilating his father, and Vegeta being traumatized. I just hate it. Evil people are supposed to be evil. If they change, it is fine, but, please, don't make up a stupid explanations for them becoming evil which doesn't make sense.
Marco Polo wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue May 05, 2015 9:12 pm

I got another one!

Holding hands to power up!
We saw it in DBZ movies
We saw it in GT
We saw it in BoG

Enough is enough.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I got another one!

We saw it in DBZ movies
We saw it in GT
We saw it in BoG

Enough is enough.
That means that it is exactly what'll hapen.
Marco Polo wrote:

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue May 05, 2015 9:22 pm

We saw it in DBZ movies
We saw it in GT
We saw it in BoG

Enough is enough.
Or that mostly would happen off-screen, as it was for Vegeta.

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Tue May 05, 2015 10:03 pm

I don't wan't the humans and Piccolo to be ignored. nuff said

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue May 05, 2015 11:51 pm

We saw it in DBZ movies
We saw it in GT
We saw it in BoG

Enough is enough.
Yeah, Baby Vegeta making the Z gang doing the ring-a-round-a-posie around him, the Z gang in BoG doing the same thing with Goku also(and the fact that VEGETA of all people was part of it too! :sick: ). It's so ridiclis ma loooord, KUMBAYAAAAAA!

Have a bad feeling that the same thing will happen on this one too, hopefully I'll be wrong.
Mystic Tien wrote: 5 years old probably do. Toriyama doesn't consider us anyway, so it will be as kid-friendly as possible, no matter if we like it or not.
And I thought that Japan and the US have different cultures and all, but I find it suprising that Japanese 5 year olds like the same cuddly shit that half the American 5 year olds do(My 6 year old nephew plays with G.I. Joe, hence why I said "half").

But anyway, if Toriyama said he made this series for teenage boys, then why didn't he spice up the story, tone, and violence a little, at least for most of the first half of DB and the two new movies he made? I mean, there are more violent shonen shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, HunterxHunter, Jojo, and the list goes on. I understand Toriyama wants to do his own thing and have the two new movies be the "Family Guy" of Shonen, but I'm saying is at least be more careful and consistent with your marketing. Hopefully he'll have a surprise for the fans like myself who mostly like the series for its dark and epic moments. Not saying it has to be fully dark.
Mystic Tien wrote:Heck, Toriyama seems doing it with Vegeta now, with all this stupid stuff about Beerus humilating his father, and Vegeta being traumatized. I just hate it. Evil people are supposed to be evil. If they change, it is fine, but, please, don't make up a stupid explanations for them becoming evil which doesn't make sense.
I sorta wish Toriyama would write Vegeta like Faust from Guilty Gear. Like Vegeta, Faust had a rough past, but tries to redeem himself for his own well being, but still has the urge to perform a massive genocide on innocent people. That's what I wished the Vegeta on BoG was like, a guy trying to redeem himself, but he secretly still wants to kill everyone on earth.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 06, 2015 11:02 am

EXBadguy wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:Heck, Toriyama seems doing it with Vegeta now, with all this stupid stuff about Beerus humilating his father, and Vegeta being traumatized. I just hate it. Evil people are supposed to be evil. If they change, it is fine, but, please, don't make up a stupid explanations for them becoming evil which doesn't make sense.
I sorta wish Toriyama would write Vegeta like Faust from Guilty Gear. Like Vegeta, Faust had a rough past, but tries to redeem himself for his own well being, but still has the urge to perform a massive genocide on innocent people. That's what I wished the Vegeta on BoG was like, a guy trying to redeem himself, but he secretly still wants to kill everyone on earth.
Umm.... Vegeta was already written like that from the Cell arc and beyond. Hell, Vegeta was in no way secretive about still having the urge to kill innocent people in the Majin Boo arc, he fucking flat out did it... twice.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Wed May 06, 2015 11:23 am

Mystic Tien wrote: Heck, Toriyama seems doing it with Vegeta now, with all this stupid stuff about Beerus humilating his father, and Vegeta being traumatized. I just hate it. Evil people are supposed to be evil. If they change, it is fine, but, please, don't make up a stupid explanations for them becoming evil which doesn't make sense.
I think you confused two things here.
First is giving villains backstory that makes their behaviour understandable and generally contributes to good writing. I do believe that nurture is stronger than nature and I have no problem seeing the logic of character who from the very young age was convinced that "the weak are meat the strong do eat".

Hoverer, the problem starts when author, or- in most cases-fandom starts to use his the backstory as excuse and protests that character is fluffy ragamuffin who should be forgiven because of influence and heroes are bastards for not understanding this. Vegeta in time of Saiyan Saga was a treat perfectly willing to murder Goku and Co and they shouldn't give a damn about his motives as long as he wants to blow them up.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed May 06, 2015 11:28 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Hell, Vegeta was in no way secretive about still having the urge to kill innocent people in the Majin Boo arc, he fucking flat out did it... twice.
Without anyone telling him to do so. I meant Vegeta doing it on his own.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.