"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 am

TKA wrote:
Silly? Yes. Unimaginative? Hardly.

You know what's unimaginative? A villain who just shoots energy blasts. That's all Merged Zamasu did in the anime. Cell had the novelty of his moves being from the main cast. Frieza had the novelty of being absurdly powerful (at the time). Buu had a myriad of techniques due to his physiology. Zamasu didn't have any gimmicks and just threw generic energy blasts. What's really happening here is you liked the visuals and perhaps the music. Him throwing Katchin and creating it from thin air is a much more imaginative use of his abilities. It shows both the Kai (ability to create) and Saiyan (the ki to power his attacks) halves of him.
I thought that the Halo and Giant energy Bird that shot lightning in the anime was pretty cool. As well as the energy spikes. I'm unsure what makes those generic energy blasts. I do kind of like the cube thing in the manga though. Mostly. For curiosities sake though, What part of the throwing Katchin Blocks shows the Saiyan side of using Ki to power attacks? I didn't really see it. All I saw was Zamasu having some fun.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:55 am

Actually reading the chapter, Goku and Vegeta not working together doesn't come off as funny. It comes off as numbingly frustrating. The first part was fine when Merged Zamasu was owing them and testing his power. Then the Supreme Kai gives them the earrings to fused. Vegeta says no and Goku doesn't even try to convince Vegeta further. Just, well, that how it is and gives the earring back. Then they take turns despite Merged Zamasu wrecking them just a few seconds before. What?

At least with Kid Buu Goku thought he had a chance with him. What the freaking point of trying to fight Merged Zamasu individually? And part of the reason why Goku was willing to fight Kid Buu without fusion was because he wasn't a fused being himself anymore. Here, he's a fusion, better take turns fighting him.

The fight with Vegetto was so brief that it was almost blink and you miss. Well, people can no longer blame the anime for not doing anything with Vegetto.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:10 am

TKA wrote:Cool chapter. The manga devoting so much time to explaining the Potara made the retcon more palatable. The anime just gave that information offhandedly, which made it harder to stomach.
Curious as to what it says. Summary please?

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:11 am

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:Curious as to what it says. Summary please?
It's on Viz's website.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:15 am

I think the Katchin thing could’ve been better if Zamasu made it pointy - like that wood Gurd planned to throw to Gohan and Kuririn. It makes it more dangerous than just throwing a bunch of cubes. Still disappointed by the lack of halo, though.

Haven’t read the translated version yet, but this is actually the first chapter that I’ve enjoyed in a while, despite some questionable things that happened in it. Hopefully, the arc will end next chapter so we can get on with the next arc.

Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Chelentano » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:18 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:Viz translated Chapter 23.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters ... 669?read=1
So no more MangaStream I guess.
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 am

Chelentano wrote:

Their translations generally suck anyway, so its not really a loss.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 am

The manga version of Vegetto vs Zamasu would feel better and more gratifying in the anime. The anime's version of Vegetto vs Zamasu would feel better and more gratifying in the manga. Oh well

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
It's on Viz's website.
There's region block on site's content. A summary still would be helpful for those who don't live in USA

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:23 am

Ikazvyr wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:
It's on Viz's website.
There's region block on site's content. A summary still would be helpful for those who don't live in USA
Here you go.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:41 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wow. I've saw you guys talking about Zamasu defusing and was curious, but the manga is heavy implying it WILL happen next chapter. Now that's something I really want to see
Can we call it the manga's interpretation of Goomasu? Both were "Merged Zamasu gone wrong"

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
Ikazvyr wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:It's on Viz's website.
Here you go.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Thanks, I can't access Viz. Well, I didn't know it had been Gowasu the one explaining it, I had heard about Vegetto's lines only. It's pretty well explained, the fusion is forever when it's done by a Kaioshin and Zamasu is not. Can't wait to see the defusion and the alternative take on the victory. I'd like Trunks killing Black and future Zeno taking care of future Zamasu. And I still hope a legit power up for Trunks, not Ikari bullshit. By the way, naming it with rage, as rage was exclusive to it, was not a good idea. Goku transformed to SS with rage and Gohan to SS2. But that's on DB Heroes.
Heno heno kappa!

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:24 am

Young Jijii's take on the Vegetto Blue introduction page.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Colorized
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:29 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:Young Jijii's take on the Vegetto Blue introduction page.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Colorized
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That's is so cool, but I prefer the original one
    Mostly active on discord.

mfwlegend3
    Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:40 am

Yeah, in my opinion, I find Jijii's take too similar to Toriyama's. Toyotaro takes this one.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Bulma's Foot Masseur
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks.

So this Zamasu killed his master, stole his Potara, used a Time Ring, but still isn't a Supreme Kai? Maybe the rules against non-Supreme Kais using Time Rings are little more than understood procedure, and promotion to Supreme Kai only comes with higher consent.

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 am

Chelentano wrote:

Damn it I'm in Italy and it doesn't work here...
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kokonoe
    Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am

Wow, I've been reading the Super Manga and it's so much better than the anime to me, I'm surprised! The fights are far more entertaining and fleshed out as well which really helps set it apart from the anime.

Alruneia
    I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:48 am

Gowasu is the one who says that Zamasu isn't a Supreme Kai, huh? Well, that makes the statement more credible. I mean, it's his apprentice. Definitely an interesting route Toyotarou has opened by making it so that Merged Zamasu as facing the same problem as Blue Vegito. I'm guessing that Merged Zamasu is more... "stable", though, maybe enough so that he'll last for the full hour without running out of fusion power or however they put it. Because of the preview we saw of the Universe Survival arc back in January where there were two Zen'ou's, I'm still expecting the ending of the arc to be basically the same as in the anime, which means that Future Zen'ou must be brought to the main timeline. So the multiverse deletion will most likely still happen, though I don't know if Zamasu will go full Giygas first. We'll see...

Also, I like Zamasu summoning block rain. Combat-oriented Kai powers are cool. I do wish he formed the katchin into something sharper, though. Not necessarily an advanced shape, just something with a pointy end. Also the Vader choke was kinda weird.
    Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
    Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

jplaya2023
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am

What are you guys predictions for the next chapter?

Mines are below

- As the rocks comes crashing down, goku and vegeta use IT and teleport to gowasu and trunks and them.

- gowasu explains to them that since they outputted such a high power amount, the fusion wore off faster.

- gowasu notes that zamazu has 30 minutes left of fusion.

- goku ask what is the charge time on using potarra again, and gowasu says you can use it once every earth year

- trunks says he will fight zamazu to try and find time for goku and vegeta to come up with a plan

- vegeta notes trunks is giving up his life to which trunks says he wants to make both his mothers proud and future vegeta and him as well

- goku and vegeta begin to formulate a plan

- trunks goes and fights zamazu and is getting whooped as zamazu is playing around with trunks.

- goku ask vegeta if he knows the fusion dance in which vegeta answers yes but those poses are "stupid"

- shin notes that gotenks fusion only lasted 5 minutes and zamazu still only has 25 minutes left.

- goku tells gowasu that gotenks was using a ssj form (ssj3) that takes large amounts of ki to maintain and the kids never reached that form on their own and they did not know the drawbacks

- trunks is getting the beating of his life and zamazu is getting bored of this "game". He taunts trunks some more about bulma and trunks explodes and turns into ssj3 (blue ki) rage trunks.

- goku tells vegeta they will need to use the same strategy vegeta used by merging into red gogeta and using blue only to attack

- zamazu is getting serious as trunks cuts him in half and he reforms instantly.

- zamazu throws 10 katchin blocks at trunks as he cuts them without effort. He slips behind trunks and impales him with ki sword

- a flash of light appears and zamazu ask the new being who're you. The being responds, "I'm neither goku or vegeta, i'm the instrument of your destruction"

- Gogeta powers up to SSJ Red

- chapter end