"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Meshack wrote:
emperior wrote:I didn't pay attention to the possible plot-hole of Goku suddenly not being able to sense Toppo's God Ki. Maybe Toppo's God Ki is different? Or maybe Goku can only sense the God Ki of people below his current power level, meaning he would sense Toppo's power only as a Super Saiyan Blue. Although it really looks like Toyotaro just messed up.
Gokuh can’t sense god Ki at all in his base form. He can only feel the pressure. The anime is weird about this
No, he can certainly sense God Ki in the anime, nothing weird about it. The Oracle Fish confirms Vegeta can sense God Ki back in the F arc, and if he can, so can Goku.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't see why people are saying Toppo is different. We've seen this sort of calm behavior from Toppo in the anime too, back when he was talking to Kahseral and the Pride Troopers. The only difference here is that Toppo doesn't see Goku as an enemy/evil in the manga. If he did, I'm sure he would act in the exact same way as in the anime.
Thank you. This and what TheMikado said a couple posts up. Goku and Toppo are meeting under completely different circumstances. At the point they fought in the anime, Grand Priest had already announced the deletion of the losing universes, thrown Goku under the bus by saying the tournament was his idea, Goku had issued his 'come at me bro' challenge to the gods in response, and he'd crushed Bergamo who'd asked for a reprieve from Zeno.

I'm really curious to see if the 'losing teams are erased on the spot' aspect of the tournament is present in the manga. I've been wondering about that since it was announced as the Tournament of Power arc in the last chapter of the Future Trunks arc.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Doctor. wrote: No, he can certainly sense God Ki in the anime, nothing weird about it. The Oracle Fish confirms Vegeta can sense God Ki back in the F arc, and if he can, so can Goku.
He proved he can when Vegeta went Blue against Trunks.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:47 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Doctor. wrote: No, he can certainly sense God Ki in the anime, nothing weird about it. The Oracle Fish confirms Vegeta can sense God Ki back in the F arc, and if he can, so can Goku.
He proved he can when Vegeta went Blue against Trunks.
Before that, actually. He IT to Beerus in Episode 42 and noted that 'Monaka' felt similar to Beerus' ki. He also IT to Vegeta in Episode 47 when Vegeta went Blue against Whis.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 pm

The amount of "eat this" and "don't get cocky" in the manga is getting out of hand :roll:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm really glad the Fight scenes are improving. Toyo has really been working on how he portrays hits and attacks and it shows here. It was really fun and interesting to look at.

Unfortunately I just don't care about the Battle with the Hakaishin. I just don't. It's cool and all that they all have their own Unique thing, but after it shows us only a few, the cool parts of the fight just kind of stop, and just ends. And I'm left not really caring except that I still like Belmod for being a bastard.

Gokus and Toppos fight was just ok. It's tough to hate the whole "Goku going through all his transformations" thing, especially with my love of SSJ 3, but It's still shows how ridiculous it is for Goku to have all these forms, and I hope he doesn't do this for every major fight. And before anyone says anything, I have the same problem with the anime. It's not an anime or manga exclusive issue it's a Dragonball one. Though it's probably not a big deal in the big picture.

Toppo is so bland here. I know people already pointed out "but he doesn't view Goku as evil here, he has no reason to scream justice". Yeah. Cool. He doesn't have to have a hate boner for Goku to show who he is and what he does. Which he doesn't. If I hadn't watched the anime, I would just assume Toppo was just another calm warrior that throws regular punches and kicks. Which isn't a bad thing in it's own right, but if Toppo is going to be a big deal I'd want him to have something that makes him stand out besides his gigantic arms and sexy stache. Toppo is boring here and I hope that he get to see better of him later.

But the fight itself was well drawn and but it's only a little interesting. Sick nut kick though. Even though it looks awfully familiar.

All in all, an ok chapter.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Chapter 29 was awesome,i love it the battle of god were good as well i like the ability of the GoD through Arack,Iwan and Gene were lame and zeno reaction of the battle was hilarious.
    The fight of Goku vs Toppo were good,i do like toppo in the manga he was cool and i'm so happy that they show SS3 In this chapter.
      On a sidenote toyo did an excelent job of the battle and the art was good.Overall this chapter was good i'm really looking foward to see the next chapter.

Alruneia
      I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
      Noah wrote: Helles 'archery' was lame.
      It's elegant and If he hadn't blocked it, that would have been a lethal headshot from the way it pierced through fox God's arm.. Far from lame mate..
      I'm not gonna speak for Noah, but what I found lame about Heles' bow is that she seemingly materialises an actual bow and arrow out of nowhere (gets it in mallet space, pulls it out of her redacted, word it however you want). It'd be much more interesting to me if Heles created a spirit bow instead. We've seen plenty of energy melee weapons in various forms, Anime Black even creating a scythe, so why not a bow and arrows?
      Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
      JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
      Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

HeroR
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I'm really glad the Fight scenes are improving. Toyo has really been working on how he portrays hits and attacks and it shows here. It was really fun and interesting to look at.

Unfortunately I just don't care about the Battle with the Hakaishin. I just don't. It's cool and all that they all have their own Unique thing, but after it shows us only a few, the cool parts of the fight just kind of stop, and just ends. And I'm left not really caring except that I still like Belmod for being a bastard.

Gokus and Toppos fight was just ok. It's tough to hate the whole "Goku going through all his transformations" thing, especially with my love of SSJ 3, but It's still shows how ridiculous it is for Goku to have all these forms, and I hope he doesn't do this for every major fight. And before anyone says anything, I have the same problem with the anime. It's not an anime or manga exclusive issue it's a Dragonball one. Though it's probably not a big deal in the big picture.

Toppo is so bland here. I know people already pointed out "but he doesn't view Goku as evil here, he has no reason to scream justice". Yeah. Cool. He doesn't have to have a hate boner for Goku to show who he is and what he does. Which he doesn't. If I hadn't watched the anime, I would just assume Toppo was just another calm warrior that throws regular punches and kicks. Which isn't a bad thing in it's own right, but if Toppo is going to be a big deal I'd want him to have something that makes him stand out besides his gigantic arms and sexy stache. Toppo is boring here and I hope that he get to see better of him later.

But the fight itself was well drawn and but it's only a little interesting. Sick nut kick though. Even though it looks awfully familiar.

Your post reminds me, Toppo in the anime did show more unique attacks beside ‘justice’. He has arm lock attacks that dislocated Goku’s arm and a reverse bear hug. Anime Toppo was a bit of grappler.

But not too surprise since it seems outside of flashy techniques, Toyo doesn’t really focus on ‘martial arts’. Like how Hit in the manga fights compared to the anime and even Zamasu to an extent.

Alruneia wrote:
      Ki Breaker wrote:
      It's elegant and If he hadn't blocked it, that would have been a lethal headshot from the way it pierced through fox God's arm.. Far from lame mate..
      I'm not gonna speak for Noah, but what I found lame about Heles' bow is that she seemingly materialises an actual bow and arrow out of nowhere (gets it in mallet space, pulls it out of her redacted, word it however you want). It'd be much more interesting to me if Heles created a spirit bow instead. We've seen plenty of energy melee weapons in various forms, Anime Black even creating a scythe, so why not a bow and arrows?
      You mean like Zelda when she creates light arrows? Dang, now you make me wish Heles went full Twilight Princess Zelda.
      Kanassa wrote:
      Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Draconic
      I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:43 pm

TheMikado wrote:I’m really not understanding the Toppo criticisms because the setting was completely different. Toppo and Goku dont even know about universes being destroyed yet just the tournament so Toppo doesn’t have a reason to give a grand speech or Justice this or Justice that yet. He was only on screen to fight Goku so we haven’t seen him actually really interact with anyone else’s yet and certainly not in a “Justice” fashion or even reason to do so.
      I was going to post my thoughts about this, but Mikado pretty much said everything I meant to.

The context is entirely different here. Toppo is not at all vindictive torwards Goku, so what would the point be in him doing his Pride Trooper shtick?

And no personality? Like really? He doesn't display quirks, like the justice speeches, but he has loads of personality on display, especially for his screentime. He's respectful torwards his opponent and his superior, honorable and confident in battle and a great warrior.

Seriously, in only a couple of pages, he has a nearly perfect introduction. Not sure what more anyone can ask of this. I mean, just from reading this fight, you can tell why he's a GoD candidate.
      Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Draconic wrote:
      TheMikado wrote:I’m really not understanding the Toppo criticisms because the setting was completely different. Toppo and Goku dont even know about universes being destroyed yet just the tournament so Toppo doesn’t have a reason to give a grand speech or Justice this or Justice that yet. He was only on screen to fight Goku so we haven’t seen him actually really interact with anyone else’s yet and certainly not in a “Justice” fashion or even reason to do so.
      I was going to post my thoughts about this, but Mikado pretty much said everything I meant to.

The context is entirely different here. Toppo is not at all vindictive torwards Goku, so what would the point be in him doing his Pride Trooper shtick?

And no personality? Like really? He doesn't display quirks, like the justice speeches, but he has loads of personality on display, especially for his screentime. He's respectful torwards his opponent and his superior, honorable and confident in battle and a great warrior.

Seriously, in only a couple of pages, he has a nearly perfect introduction. Not sure what more anyone can ask of this. I mean, just from reading this fight, you can tell why he's a GoD candidate.
      So, exactly the opposite of how Toriyama's Gods of Destruction behaved?

Regardless, the issue here is not Toppo's characterization. It's Goku being such a wet blanket of nothingness, outside a single panel, that brings the whole thing down.

TheMikado
      I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Alruneia wrote:
      Ki Breaker wrote:
      I’m kinda confused, she did materialize it into a hard object. Is your complaint that it’s not literal made of light? What ever it is I would think it has unique properties if it can pierce straight though another god so easily. That doesn’t seem like an ordinary bow and arrow.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:01 pm

KuririnNoKotoKa wrote: So, exactly the opposite of how Toriyama's Gods of Destruction behaved?

Regardless, the issue here is not Toppo's characterization. It's Goku being such a wet blanket of nothingness, outside a single panel, that brings the whole thing down.
      Really goku was doing his stick,being cocky and all,i really don't see these complaints through he is not as fun as he was in the anime with the whole i'm playing evil
      Last edited by The gr on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      Mostly active on discord.

TheMikado
      I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I'm really glad the Fight scenes are improving. Toyo has really been working on how he portrays hits and attacks and it shows here. It was really fun and interesting to look at.

So I decided to review and reread the chapter specifically looking at Toppo’s personality. It looks like his characterization was deliberate. Often after Goku delivers a long monologue or declaration Toppo often responds with simply “...” this makes me wonder how the other pride troops will be categorized, my thought is what if the personalities have been altered to make Jiren the “Justice Warrior”. Think of it as the DB equivalent of AllMight from MHA. I really wonder what that would be like if that happened.

Anime Kitten
      I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Hey, I guess I could post in here for once since I just read the latest chapter.

I liked the Hakaishin fight here as it showcased some of their individual traits, not unlike the Zen Exhibition Match in the anime with the Trio de Dangers (which I did prefer, though this deathmatch was still enjoyable despite its somewhat rushed ending).

However, the second half of the chapter was a bit disappointing. Surprisingly, I wasn't particularly bugged by yet another Gokū form cycle (I tend to enjoy them a lot for some reason), but Toppo was rather boring as he didn't feel like anything special, unlike his "justice" shtick in the anime that I personally enjoyed. I also missed Gokū playing the villain from the anime as I felt it added more to the connection between him and Toppo.

Overall, the chapter was all right, but I think it lost some life in the second half, both in general and (moreso) contrasted with the anime version of this portion of the arc.
      MyAnimeList | AniList
      Discord: suchmisfortune

Alruneia
      I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:19 pm

TheMikado wrote:
      Alruneia wrote:
      Ki Breaker wrote: It's elegant and If he hadn't blocked it, that would have been a lethal headshot from the way it pierced through fox God's arm.. Far from lame mate..
      I’m kinda confused, she did materialize it into a hard object. Is your complaint that it’s not literal made of light? What ever it is I would think it has unique properties if it can pierce straight though another god so easily. That doesn’t seem like an ordinary bow and arrow.
      I guess that's basically what I'm saying, yeah. I'm a sucker for "spirit weapons". It's more of an "I wish x happened" complaint than an "X should have happened" complaint, if you catch my drift.
      Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
      JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
      Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Sandubadear
      I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:36 pm

The Hakaishin battle was nice, that's how a battle royale should be lol. People complain that the anime has only a couple of people fighting while everyone is apparently just standing there, but I guess it's a rule so Zen'ou can actually enjoy the fights.

Toppo was kinda boring in the manga, without his justice shtick he's just some random strong guy Goku has to fight. Him winning the fight was good though, because Goku lost to him now but there's someone even stronger. In the anime they just tied so it wasn't that much intimidating until we actually saw Jiren's power.
      "The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
      --by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
      Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

HeroR
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Sandubadear wrote:The Hakaishin battle was nice, that's how a battle royale should be lol. People complain that the anime has only a couple of people fighting while everyone is apparently just standing there, but I guess it's a rule so Zen'ou can actually enjoy the fights.

Toppo was kinda boring in the manga, without his justice shtick he's just some random strong guy Goku has to fight. Him winning the fight was good though, because Goku lost to him now but there's someone even stronger. In the anime they just tied so it wasn't that much intimidating until we actually saw Jiren's power.
      They didn’t tie since the Grand Priest called off the fight.
      Kanassa wrote:

BlueVegerot
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:49 pm

After reading the chapter, I don't think Toppo was stronger than Goku. Toppo himself said Goku let his guard down too much. Goku wasn't fighting his own way, he was doing what Zeno wanted or what Beerus wanted.

Kanassa
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm

HeroR wrote:
      Alruneia wrote:
      Ki Breaker wrote: It's elegant and If he hadn't blocked it, that would have been a lethal headshot from the way it pierced through fox God's arm.. Far from lame mate..
      You mean like Zelda when she creates light arrows? Dang, now you make me wish Heles went full Twilight Princess Zelda.
      I was thinking more 'Shadow of Mordor' and Heles just found out Liqure is immune to ranged attacks...
      When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
      FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
      - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017