"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:I think the manga is taking a different route with Gohan. Goku at this moment doesn't see him as necessary or an option while Piccolo and Vegeta do. I think they are setting up a clash of Goku vs Gohan where Gohan impresses Goku with his power and changes Goku's mind about him
This makes a lot more sense than what the anime did.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:12 pm

OLKv3 wrote:This chapter, Vegeta suggested it again, and Goku turns it down because he's convinced that Gohan isn't a fighter anymore.
Goku doesn't want to force Gohan to do something he doesn't want to do. Piccolo feels offended by it and I guess he's gonna give Goku a scolding for this next chapter.
They're clearly building up Gohan's return to form with this little story.
Now that is a good build up for Goku vs Gohan,i like this route.
Last edited by The gr on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Meshack wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
The gr wrote:Strange that gohan wasn't suggested in the team yet.
It's so weird. The anime goes out of it way to re-affirm that Gohan is a key player leading up to the tournament. While the manga downplays the hell out of him more than often.
There’s nothing suggesting he is a key player.
Considering the only characters stronger than Gohan on the team are Goku, Vegeta and possibly Freeza, yeah, Gohan is a key player, at least in the strength department.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:Piccolo asks goku for a lot of senzu so he can gohan back into shape
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9409 ... 76481?s=17
Unlike the anime, I'm hoping that Piccolo and Gohan go into the Time Chamber, that way any gains the both of them make, would be logical compared the anime, because they would've trained for a about a year in a harsh enviroment with increased gravity. This could also explain how Gohan ends up with the "Demon Clothes" for the tournament, Piccolo gives them to Gohan after they come out of the chamber, a call back to the Android Saga, where that also happened.

And I like to say THANK YOU!!, Toyo for making Marron finally look like she's actually 9, where in the anime she still looks like her Buu Saga self.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Can we all appreciate how this is the 2nd time Goku gives a senzu bean to a green person so he could beat the shit out of his son?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Ah good Toyotaro is not spamming SSJB for no reason everywhere. 17 at SSJ3 is easier to accept imo. Need to read the rest when I can.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Meshack wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: It's so weird. The anime goes out of it way to re-affirm that Gohan is a key player leading up to the tournament. While the manga downplays the hell out of him more than often.
Considering the only characters stronger than Gohan on the team are Goku, Vegeta and possibly Freeza, yeah, Gohan is a key player, at least in the strength department.
That doesn’t mean he’s a key player. The only character I see Gohan having a battle with is Dyspo, not Toppo or Jiren. Gokuh, Vegeta, and Freeza are more relevant (don’t know that’s the right word) than Gohan. It’s obvious what Freeza’s plan is, and Gokuh and Vegeta are obviously going after the strongest.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Meshack wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
The gr wrote:Strange that gohan wasn't suggested in the team yet.
It's so weird. The anime goes out of it way to re-affirm that Gohan is a key player leading up to the tournament. While the manga downplays the hell out of him more than often.
He's been the second protagonist next to Goku in the anime with the most screen time after him. Goku also named him the team leader, so yes, he is a key player.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
The gr wrote:The power scaling debate belongs here,that place is more suited for those debates.
    Strange that gohan wasn't suggested in the team yet.
    He was suggested last chapter, by Vegeta. Goku turned it down
    This chapter, Vegeta suggested it again, and Goku turns it down because he's convinced that Gohan isn't a fighter anymore.
    Goku doesn't want to force Gohan to do something he doesn't want to do. Piccolo feels offended by it and I guess he's gonna give Goku a scolding for this next chapter.
    They're clearly building up Gohan's return to form with this little story.
    Sorry to burst in but would it be possible to let us know how the conversation flows in the posted page where Yamcha is mentioned? Is it Goku stating the reason he`s not chosing Gohan due to not seeing his son as a figther any longer and Bulma mentions Yamcha in the same light or..?

Enquiring minds.
    Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Meshack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Kagari wrote:
    Meshack wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote: It's so weird. The anime goes out of it way to re-affirm that Gohan is a key player leading up to the tournament. While the manga downplays the hell out of him more than often.
    He's been the second protagonist next to Goku in the anime with the most screen time after him. Goku also named him the team leader, so yes, he is a key player.
    He’s the team leader, yet, Gokuh, Vegeta, Freeza, No. 17, and No. 17 didn’t listen to him at the start of the tournament. The role could have been filled by Piccolo or Yamcha. Ribrianne was the team leader but dropped out before Zarbuto, Rabanra, and Zirloin. Just because you have a lot of screen time doesn’t mean you’re a key player. Kulilin gets tons of screen time but is on the sidelines.

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Kagari wrote:He's been the second protagonist next to Goku in the anime with the most screen time after him.
    He's in the same boat as everyone else as in he's got nothing major apart form just being there making Goku look good. The only one who has a chance at being more is Vegeta in episodes 122 & 123.
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

The_Destroyer
    Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Olympian wrote:
    OLKv3 wrote:The absolute disrespect Yamcha gets
    I may be too optimistic here but is this really disrespectfull? Gohan isn`t picked as yet and Bulma has a serious expression on her face when talking about Yamcha, who gets to be mentioned ahead. I guess the issue is in the blurred face and what that is supposed to ilustrate.

ABsolutely bizarre how a character which Toei pulled active until the end of the Buu arc and that Toryama still wrote as Goku asking if he was joining the Tournament, as well as showing up with his Gi in Goku and Friends has been suddently blacklisted from active action from the cast since Freeza`s return.

Could anyone translate it?
    Seems better than the shit Toei did. Wonder if they'll keep having someone try and suggest him before getting interrupted.

BlueVegerot
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Anyone have full manga leak or a link to the korean scans website? I had it but i lost it

BWri
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Black Hawk wrote:Vegeta's line suggesting that he and Gokū train Gohan is easily my favorite aspect of this already really good chapter; I'm trying not to hold my breath on anything amazing for Gohan-kun, but this, combined with Gohan's recent training in the gravity chamber, something we've never known him to do, is getting me pretty excited. Training with Vegeta and Gokū would be much more beneficial for Gohan-kun than would training with Piccolo, especially if they took him into the Room of Spirit and Time.

Edit: I'm hoping Vegeta will train Gohan-kun in the Room of Spirit and Time while Gokū handles recruiting the other members. Vegeta's already shown a willingness to train Gohan, so it's not completely far-fetched.
    In which manga chapter was it stated that Gohan trained in the gravity chamber? I've seen a few people mention this but I really don't remember.

Edit: NVM, a quick search gave me this
    ToshioWrites wrote:We saw Gohan using the gravity chamber at the end of Ch 26 which is probably a minimum of 9 months or so ago so Gohan Should be as strong if not stronger than his Buu Saga self and Piccolo can push him to beyond ss3 goku imo
    I should really make better use of that function
    Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Meshack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 pm

BWri wrote:
    Black Hawk wrote:Vegeta's line suggesting that he and Gokū train Gohan is easily my favorite aspect of this already really good chapter; I'm trying not to hold my breath on anything amazing for Gohan-kun, but this, combined with Gohan's recent training in the gravity chamber, something we've never known him to do, is getting me pretty excited. Training with Vegeta and Gokū would be much more beneficial for Gohan-kun than would training with Piccolo, especially if they took him into the Room of Spirit and Time.

Edit: I'm hoping Vegeta will train Gohan-kun in the Room of Spirit and Time while Gokū handles recruiting the other members. Vegeta's already shown a willingness to train Gohan, so it's not completely far-fetched.
    In which manga chapter was it stated that Gohan trained in the gravity chamber? I've seen a few people mention this but I really don't remember.

ToshioWrites wrote:We saw Gohan using the gravity chamber at the end of Ch 26 which is probably a minimum of 9 months or so ago so Gohan Should be as strong if not stronger than his Buu Saga self and Piccolo can push him to beyond ss3 goku imo
    Gohan has been training in the Gravity Room secretly in a special bonus chapter from Jump Carnival 2017.

MisteryOne
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
    Meshack wrote:
    Yet this tournament is supposed to not be about strength, that's the reason Roshi is even there.
    English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

BWri
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Meshack wrote:
    BWri wrote:

Gohan has been training in the Gravity Room secretly in a special bonus chapter from Jump Carnival 2017.
    Oh, I see. Thanks! I definitely didn't find it in Ch 26 for anyone else looking.
    Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Majin Jator
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 pm

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/941048820082679808

This is pretty disturbing. I like Toei's explanation better, sounds more simple, and...well, less creepy. Not to mention the actual physics, but that was already a problem in the original. Is Cell's interior like the Tardis?.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:24 pm

MisteryOne wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:
    Meshack wrote: There’s nothing suggesting he is a key player.
    Yet this tournament is supposed to not be about strength, that's the reason Roshi is even there.
    Strength is one of the factors when it comes to winning the Tournament Of Power, which is why Gohan was considered from the get-go (in the anime), but its not the only factor (which is why Roshi was considered).

Meshack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:25 pm

MisteryOne wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:
    Meshack wrote: There’s nothing suggesting he is a key player.
    That wasn’t mentioned in the manga. In the manga, if anything, it’s more about strength than anything else. Kame-Sennin is chosen because Vegeta didn’t want them participating and knowing about it (very similar to Resurrection F.) Kame-Sennin was also chosen for the battle against the Freeza Army so he is more viable thsn before. Bulma even asks Shin if there were strong guys on other planets. It seems that they’re trying to get anyone as fast as possible.