"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm

TKA wrote:The manga treats their characters better by involving them in something actually interesting, rather than diluting their presence and impact with filler fights against fodder warriors.
Involving them in something interesting? They were nothing. Them getting taken out meat nothing. Nothing was done with their character. Nothing is added. Take away their faces and names and it means just as little.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:19 pm

I have a question.

Why does everyone here act up to the point that mods have to intervene and lock the thread until the Viz release?

Can't we all just get along?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 pm

prince212 wrote: That is called to be proud , and proud sometimes make you do stupid things , same in real life . He doesn’t wanna bother and be a distraction for the shake of the survival if you look it like that may be is not that absurd
I agree Roshi was overpowered in the anime , but here in the manga that is not happening , as I said before , outlasting doesn’t mean to be stronger .
The problem comes that we don't know if he was really being proud or that he really meant that, and it would be out of character too since wanting to do fight alone without help would mean being stomped and I doubt Roshi would want that.

As for now in the manga, he was not overpowered, but we don't really know what will happen in the next chapter, and given Roshi's line here about not wanting help from Goku against Frost then overpowering him might be the case in the manga too, but we'll just have to wait and see until next month.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Kanassa wrote: Involving them in something interesting? They were nothing.
Correct.
Them getting taken out meat nothing.
Incorrect. It meant Frost and Frieza's alliance was legitimate (in Frost's eyes), which then led to him taking out an entire universe before being taken out himself. This showed Frieza's ruthlessness, Frost's naivete, reemphasized that this is a battle royale and most importantly, keeps Frieza as a villainous character.
Nothing was done with their character. Nothing is added.
Incorrect. Their characters contributed to the narrative being constructed and the tension being built.
Take away their faces and names and it means just as little.
Shaky logic. You could say the same about Tenshinhan's involvement in the fight against Buu. Or his involvement in the fight against Nappa. You can do that with literally every character that fails to beat any of the major villains. It's a ridiculous statement.

Sailor Haumea wrote:Why does everyone here act up to the point that mods have to intervene and lock the thread until the Viz release?
Because people keep freaking out over spoilers before reading the chapter. This consistently happens every single month, and no matter how many times users point it out, the same people stumble into the same trap of arguing over misinformation and lack of context.
Sailor Haumea wrote: Can't we all just get along?
Not as long as people think that criticizing the anime/manga is them being criticized.

Personally, I'm all down for thoughtful discussion. Whether you like the manga or not, as long as your post is well-reasoned I'll eat up that shit.
jeffbr92 wrote:I would expect a good discussion from you rather than arguing with your manga fanboyism bias.
I have more than adequately expressed my views over the last 2 pages or so. There's no need to restate what I've already stated so recently. How about quoting my points and actually addressing them, rather than lobbing derogatory statements like "fanboyism" around?
Exline wrote:I'm content with what happened with Krillin and Tenshinhan, but just because you consider their fights in the anime to be filler doesn't mean it's bad filler. They're involvement in the tournament is something nearly all fans would want to see... why deny the fandom of that?
Because (when it comes to how a story should be,) fans don't know shit. If I want to see fan-pandering dragonball, I'd go on youtube and type in "Super Saiyan 5 animation" or "Dragonball AF". Or I'd go on fanfiction.net and read Dragonball fics. Or I'd go on tumblr and do either of those things. Hell, I could just look up ANY dragonball Heroes video. Fan-pandering has led to the worst dragonball materials over the last 20 years.

What I expect from mainline dragonball is a story (and characters) in-keeping with the quality of Toriyama's manga. In toriyama's manga, Tenshinhan isn't going to show up out of nowhere and fight Pure Buu at the world of the kais; I want the Super manga to continue the feel of the original manga, and apart from an understandable dip in art quality, it more than lives up to that.
Last edited by TKA on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 pm

dragonball0900 wrote:
prince212 wrote: That is called to be proud , and proud sometimes make you do stupid things , same in real life . He doesn’t wanna bother and be a distraction for the shake of the survival if you look it like that may be is not that absurd
I agree Roshi was overpowered in the anime , but here in the manga that is not happening , as I said before , outlasting doesn’t mean to be stronger .
The problem comes that we don't know if he was really being proud or that he really meant that, and it would be out of character too since wanting to do fight alone without help would mean being stomped and I doubt Roshi would want that.

As for now in the manga, he was not overpowered, but we don't really know what will happen in the next chapter, and given Roshi's line here about not wanting help from Goku against Frost then overpowering him might be the case in the manga too, but we'll just have to wait and see until next month.
If Roshi has been drinking again it would be well within character.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 pm

dragonball0900 wrote:

Ok let’s wait then , better don’t sell the bear's skin before the hunt
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:11 pm

1. As far as plot purposes, Kurrin and Tienshinhan's use was better in the manga. Since they were the weakest of U7, They were sacrificed by Freeza to further a bigger agenda.

2. Fighting wise, they were better served in the anime. Even tho I did not like how their fights were written but at least the anime gave them one.

3. TOEI felt that Toriyama wanted Kurrin's and Tien's skill showcased while Toyotaro felt like he could use the weak for the strong to further Freeza's character.

4. One thing seems for sure, Toriyama didn't give them definite instructions for these certain fighters.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 pm

Seems pretty obvious to me Muten Roshi is just standing up for himself and he's not totally bluffing like Frost said. He has the Mafuba, he has hypnosis, he has that electric attack, he has brains. It's not about power.

The fact Goku had to save him is recognition by Toyotarõ of his low power. C'mon do we need the author to spell out the obvious?

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm

LightBing wrote: C'mon do we need the author to spell out the obvious?
... yes.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Dragono wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Dragono wrote: Krillin and tien went out because toriyama wanted them to so whats to say that Goten and Trunks wouldn't be the same.
It still would be a smarter choice since Goten and Trunks are among the strongest characters in the series while Tien and Krillin has no real justification except the anime saying they're experience. All we got from the manga on Goten and Trunks is 'no kids'.
it would be smarter to bring those 2 just to knock them out in the second chapter?

and you know no one bought that experience excuse!
It would be more justifiable since Goten and Trunks are powerful. Why did they bother to bring Krillin and Tien despite knowing that they would be the weakest on the team?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Kanassa wrote:
TKA wrote:The manga treats their characters better by involving them in something actually interesting, rather than diluting their presence and impact with filler fights against fodder warriors.
Involving them in something interesting? They were nothing. Them getting taken out meat nothing. Nothing was done with their character. Nothing is added. Take away their faces and names and it means just as little.
I find it more annoying 'well, they would go out fast because they weak, so the manga is more realistic', which falls apart since Roshi is still in the tournament. Why didn't Frost one-shot him first and how did Roshi survived long enough for Goku to save him? Better yet, why weren't the strongest members protecting the weaker members? Who in their right mind would just leave the weak humans in the middle with no protection? At least in the anime, Gohan didn't do this until the stage was broken apart and everyone could reasonable hide and choose their battles. In fact, that's the reason why the humans lasted so long. Krillin stuck by people stronger than him, the same with Tien, and Roshi purposely went after weak fighters with powerful gimmicks.

No one is saying that Tien, Krillin, and Roshi should be fighting Toppo. But if you're going to bring them, at least have them do more than suck oxygen.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 pm

HeroR wrote:I find it more annoying 'well, they would go out fast because they weak, so the manga is more realistic', which falls apart since Roshi is still in the tournament. Why didn't Frost one-shot him first and how did Roshi survived long enough for Goku to save him? Better yet, why weren't the strongest members protecting the weaker members? Who in their right mind would just leave the weak humans in the middle with no protection? At least in the anime, Gohan didn't do this until the stage was broken apart and everyone could reasonable hide and choose their battles. In fact, that's the reason why the humans lasted so long. Krillin stuck by people stronger than him, the same with Tien, and Roshi purposely went after weak fighters with powerful gimmicks.

No one is saying that Tien, Krillin, and Roshi should be fighting Toppo. But if you're going to bring them, at least have them do more than suck oxygen.
And wasn't it Roshi's suggestion that they split up and fight on their own after the terrain became damaged and made their position less defensible?

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:25 pm

On the one hand; that was actually painful to read as a Krillin fan. Didn't even get a single attack off, at least Tenshinhan got that before getting one shot.

On the other, at least the Frost-Frieza team up was more effective this time round and made neither of them look bad. I also like that it wasn't Goku and Vegeta taking on Universe 9. This made Frost look more dangerous, Frieza smarter and Piccolo and Gohan worth something.

Bit disappointed we didn't get giant Piccolo vs. giant Bermago though.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:27 pm

-Chapter 34-

This chapter is trash! After a good start, the Tournament in the manga hits the bottom.
The only thing good here is some Piccolo's/Gohan's/Freeza's scenes.

Krillin and Tenshinhan eliminated without doing anything?! Seriously?!
Toyotaro says in interviews he wants each character to get the chance to shine and then he does this?! I should have been prepared considering what he did to FT Trunks on his own arc, but oh boy this is ridiculous. With 70 opponents and the fact that this may be the last run for some characters doing something on the frontlines, I thought it was obvious every U7 character should have their moment but I guess not...Since the manga skipped ROF arc, these two didn't do anything in DBS manga at all...

The Frost/Freeza part is handled bad too.

Did Frost really believed in Freeza and went all out like that in the beginning?! He was smarter before...

The amount of spotlight he got is ridiculous and what makes it worse is that nothing of what he did here comes close to he reversing Roshi's Mafuba and seal Vegeta in the anime. That was actually a cool moment and also the only time they did something interesting with his character. Other thing that bothers me is that I'm not seeing any point of Freeza let him eliminate two fighters of his team...

Just like Katopesla, Dr Rota, a gag character in the anime, was already eliminated without leaving an impact in the audience. Since Brianne/Sanka Ku/Su Roas are already transformed and the magical girls parody is confirmed to be from Toei, I don't expect anything from those three either.

Oh yeah, the Trio de Dangers. I don't even know what to say about these three.
In the anime they held a grudge against Universe 7 since the Exhibition Matches and made sense they were the first to fall because of that. Also in the anime Basil was the first to eliminate someone, which was cool. Here none of them did anything. Oh well, at least they still have their cool atta- Wait! Their cool attacks aren't here?!

Where's Basil's Shining Blaster?! He's the only character of this franchise that kicks like that.
Where's Lavender's Poison?! He's the only character of this franchise that uses poison to fight.
Where's Bergamo's giant form?! He's the only character of this franchise that grows through damage absorption.

Not even Triangle Danger Beam?! Oh silly Toyotaro! One of the advantages of being behind the anime is that if you don't have creativity to come up with new attacks, you can use the anime as inspiration.

Universe 9 erasure was also pathetic. It was the first one and all we got is a small panel.
And looks like Zenos don't have Godpads. They complained the GoDs battle royal was a mess, but can they really keep up with this without being updated about how many fighters each team has left?!... :roll:

I don't know what happened this month, but this was horrible.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:51 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
HeroR wrote:I find it more annoying 'well, they would go out fast because they weak, so the manga is more realistic', which falls apart since Roshi is still in the tournament. Why didn't Frost one-shot him first and how did Roshi survived long enough for Goku to save him? Better yet, why weren't the strongest members protecting the weaker members? Who in their right mind would just leave the weak humans in the middle with no protection? At least in the anime, Gohan didn't do this until the stage was broken apart and everyone could reasonable hide and choose their battles. In fact, that's the reason why the humans lasted so long. Krillin stuck by people stronger than him, the same with Tien, and Roshi purposely went after weak fighters with powerful gimmicks.

And wasn't it Roshi's suggestion that they split up and fight on their own after the terrain became damaged and made their position less defensible?
I think it was Gohan.
Kanassa wrote:

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:59 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Chapter 34-

This chapter is trash! After a good start, the Tournament in the manga hits the bottom.

Toyotaro says in interviews he wants each character to get the chance to shine and then he does this?! I should have been prepared considering what he did to FT Trunks on his own arc, but oh boy this is ridiculous. With 70 opponents and the fact that this may be the last run for some characters doing something on the frontlines, I thought it was obvious every U7 character should have their moment but I guess not...Since the manga skipped ROF arc, these two didn't do anything in DBS manga at all...

Did Frost really believed in Freeza and went all out like that in the beginning?! He was smarter before...

The amount of spotlight he got is ridiculous and what makes it worse is that nothing of what he did here comes close to he reversing Roshi's Mafuba and seal Vegeta in the anime. That was actually a cool moment and also the only time they did something interesting with his character. Other thing that bothers me is that I'm not seeing any point of Freeza let him eliminate two fighters of his team...

Just like Katopesla, Dr Rota, a gag character in the anime, was already eliminated without leaving an impact in the audience. Since Brianne/Sanka Ku/Su Roas are already transformed and the magical girls parody is confirmed to be from Toei, I don't expect anything from those three either.

In the anime they held a grudge against Universe 7 since the Exhibition Matches and made sense they were the first to fall because of that. Also in the anime Basil was the first to eliminate someone, which was cool. Here none of them did anything. Oh well, at least they still have their cool atta- Wait! Their cool attacks aren't here?!

Where's Basil's Shining Blaster?! He's the only character of this franchise that kicks like that.
Where's Lavender's Poison?! He's the only character of this franchise that uses poison to fight.
Where's Bergamo's giant form?! He's the only character of this franchise that grows through damage absorption.

Not even Triangle Danger Beam?! Oh silly Toyotaro! One of the advantages of being behind the anime is that if you don't have creativity to come up with new attacks, you can use the anime as inspiration.

Universe 9 erasure was also pathetic. It was the first one and all we got is a small panel.
And looks like Zenos don't have Godpads. They complained the GoDs battle royal was a mess, but can they really keep up with this without being updated about how many fighters each team has left?!... :roll:

While you do have a few valid points, is it really justified calling this chapter trash and saying that the manga has hit the bottom because a character you have an affinity for got eliminated? Many people fail to realize the narrative content in Tien and Krillin getting eliminated. They were sacrificed as a means for Frieza to gain Frost's trust, and whether or not you think that was good writing, you have to admit that it was part of the context surrounding their elimination.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:02 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Where's Lavender's Poison?! He's the only character of this franchise that uses poison to fight. Where's Bergamo's giant form?! He's the only character of this franchise that grows through damage absorption.
Frost has used poison before and there many characters that increase power wise through damage absorption, but if you're talking about height, then I agree with you.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:06 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Chapter 34-

I think it's a little unfair that the manga didn't copy the anime. For my gripes with this chapter, I think the U9 stuff was fine....except for them lining up so Frost could wipe half of them. That was really stupid.

But more than anything, there was no real emotional impact when U9 went. Using the anime, purely as an example here, U9 were filled with assholes, but you still felt for them given how messed up their universe was. Here, universe erased, who gives a shit. But I wasn't expecting it, to be honest, since Toyo is the same writer who couldn't make me care that Future Trunks' timeline got erased. So I guess he gets point again for not pretending that anyone else cares.
Kanassa wrote:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:07 am

jeffbr92 wrote: Frost has used poison before and there many characters that increase power wise through damage absorption, but if you're talking about height, then I agree with you.
No other character uses poison like Lavender used against Gohan in the Exhibition Matches and about Bergamo, yeah I was talking about his height. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:15 am

TKA wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:I would expect a good discussion from you rather than arguing with your manga fanboyism bias.
I have more than adequately expressed my views over the last 2 pages or so. There's no need to restate what I've already stated so recently. How about quoting my points and actually addressing them, rather than lobbing derogatory statements like "fanboyism" around?
Dude, if you don't like the anime you don't need to attack it to prove your point and you do that a LOT in this thread. Saying that the anime just diluted their presence with "filler" fights against fodder warriors is just blind hate.

In the anime though they still were shameful eliminated they had some decent screentime and took enemies with them, what's the problem they were fodders? We expect Tien and Krillin to take opponents out of their league like Hit? No, we expect them to eliminate foes around their level, it doesn't matter if were fodders, not everyone is God level on this tournament and there's 70 they need to eliminate in order to win and at least Tien and Krillin helped U7 a little on that task in the anime.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.