"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:02 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:14 pm

This arc has been dragging out and I've been disliking parts of it but kept quiet. I just hope Goku beats his ass and doesn't let Moro get up and pull some magic trick or random asspull power up that ends up screwing them over.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:28 pm

Regardless of what happens in the full chapter, I can't believe neither Toriyama or Toyotaro look at this and don't think "This is same shit again. Let's not do it this time."

Unbelievable if they think fans will be shocked by this "plot twist".
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:30 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 pm Image

Can they fire him already please?
:thumbup:

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:35 pm

This is the worst chapter of any Dragon Ball product ever.

This shall go down as the worst received dragon ball chapter ever.

I never saw as much hate for Ichigo, Naruto, and Luffy as I see for Goku for what he did in this chapter.
Last edited by DevilKing99 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 pm

Last edited by pepd on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 pm

I've seen fanfiction better than this...Who thought 'Goku gives Moro a senzu bean and repeating the cell arc was a good idea?

Good lord this arc is getting on my nerves and the only thing I liked was Merus and the designs of some of Moro's corps(Hey my profile pic, though Iwaza is my fav design I got her and Kikaza mixed up and she grew onto me.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 pm

I wish Super Perfect Cell had shown up and fused with Seven-Three to make the ultimate artificial humanoid.

I mean, it is the Cell saga. :wink:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:50 pm

In the last panel Goku seems unfazed by Moro's decision, so maybe there's still hope for this.

Maybe Goku gave him the senzu to see if he could keep his word, because like Jaco said he could have been arrested like that. Anyway I will wait for the full chapter before saying anything more.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:43 am

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 pmWho thought 'Goku gives Moro a senzu bean and repeating the cell arc was a good idea?
The same people who thought everything outside the BOG movie was a good idea...which is basically everything. I'm surprised it's taken people this long to realize just how badly written this revival has been, as this is by no means anything new.
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 pmGood lord this arc is getting on my nerves.
Same here, as they've been taking one step forward, two steps back since Goku and Vegeta left to train after their initial fight with Moro.
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 pmWe're repeating the same mistake! Is Goku incapable of learning from things?
It's modern Goku, one of, if not the worst written main character, what did you expect to happen ?
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:14 pmI just hope Goku beats his ass and doesn't let Moro get up and pull some magic trick or random asspull power up that ends up screwing them over.
This is definitely setting Vegeta up...again to jump in and even things out...again. This will make both of Goku's fights essentially useless. Why not just have Vegeta end Moro the first time around ? We're literally going in circles at this point.
DevilKing99 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:35 pmI never saw as much hate for Ichigo, Naruto, and Luffy as I see for Goku for what he did in this chapter.
Modern Goku has been written badly for years now, this is nothing new.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:04 am

Why are people surprised?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:13 am

"I've stopped taking modern DB seriously years ago. It's more or less become a parody of its former self". I wrote this in another topic, and chapters like this are why I believe it. I understand that not everything can be good, as even the best stories have their weak areas. I think the original's weak point was the first half of the RRA arc, something even Toriyama agrees with. As much as I love Naruto, it's no secret that the Kaguya plot point wasn't the best. With Bleach you had the 1000 year blood war being full of pacing issues. You can give examples of practically any manga, but with modern DB, it seems like outside the BOG movie, every story they've put out has been full of massive problems.

2008 OVA: Vegeta now has a brother, seriously ?
Episode of Bardock...Episode of Bardock.
Minus: Let's not even get into what's wrong with it.
RF: Bringing back Freeza only to do absolutely nothing with him. The ending.
Champa arc: Marketing it as a 5V5 only for it to be a 2V5. More Freeza and Saiyans.
Black arc: Trunks' nonsense power ups and that...I don't even think there's a word strong enough to describe how bad its ending was.
TOP: Jiren being the worst villain ever put on paper, Kale/Caulifla, wasting 5 universes, its length in the anime, etc...
Broly: The fact that it's 3 older Z stories fused into one. Freeza being a Saturday morning cartoon villain.
Moro arc: Goku giving Moro a Senzu.

Yet somehow, GT is considered the "bad" sequel. Say what you want about GT, god knows I have, but it at least had the sense enough to call it a day after 3 arcs/65 episodes.
GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:04 amWhy are people surprised?
That's what I said. To be fair, as hard as I've been on modern DB, even I'm kind of shocked they pulled this. Why not just have Moro take advantage of Goku not paying attention and have him take the beans himself ? The only thing that can justify this is if Goku erases him right then and there, but that's not going to happen, as we need yet another fighter to jump in only to lose just as they're about to win. Subverting expectations and all that.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Triggered Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by Triggered Vegeta » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:04 am Why are people surprised?
I agree. This is a normal Goku thing lol... Yeah it's bad, but Goku has always been this way. He just achieved UI and completely clobbered him. Goku is prob doing what Jiren does. He will let Moro attack with everything before crushing him with overwhelming power.
Last edited by Triggered Vegeta on Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:27 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:13 am2008 OVA: Vegeta now has a brother, seriously ?
Vegeta having a brother is hardly a bad thing. It would be as bad as Goku having a brother, or Muten Roshi having a sister (they are barely in the same place, sometimes, well quite often actually, I even forget he has one), or Bulma having a sister.

Tarble OVA works just fine as a quick Saturday/Sunday TV show in which you watch in your free time. It's meant to be that in and out-universe, see the characters nearly having fun and relaxing while watching the fight against Abo and Cado. There's nothing wrong or bad about that OVA (other than Vegeta getting his armor back).

Anyway, I don't usually talk this early but if it happens in the actual chapter, then the problem with Goku giving Moro a senzu bean is that it's just an excuse to drag even longer this stuff. Can we please just move on already? I'm tired of waiting for this to end already so we can just go to the good part (if there is such a thing intended to come).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:34 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:27 amCan we please just move on already? I'm tired of waiting for this to end already so we can just go to the good part (if there is such a thing intended to come).
It seems like we've been saying this for over a year now. They wasted months on the side characters' fights, only to now waste more time during what's supposed to be the final battle. It's OK to pull the rug from under the heroes once, but it's the 4th time now, with probably a 5th on the way from whoever's up to fighting Moro next.
Grimlock wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:27 amVegeta having a brother is hardly a bad thing. It would be as bad as Goku having a brother, or Muten Roshi having a sister.
The difference is how it's handled. Goku and Roshi's siblings were introduced in a believable way, unlike Vegeta and Bulma where theirs came out of nowhere.

Potanical Pardon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Potanical Pardon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:59 am

I'm rooting for Moro now. No other ending will satisfy me except Goku losing this arc.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:05 am

Potanical Pardon wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:59 amI'm rooting for Moro now. No other ending will satisfy me except Goku losing this arc.
Goku's losing without question (hopefully I'm wrong), I'm now worried about whoever's going to fight Moro next. I just want this arc to finally be over so we can move on.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:13 am

Remember when I thought the next call-back they were going to do was use the evil containment wave in order to avoid killing Moro. Or just plainly let him go. Good times.

I have to take my hat off to them, I'm actually a little dumbstruck. I've managed to predict a lot the story beats in this arc, but I did not see this coming. I'm also a lot upset because that moment in the original was one of the few scenes in which Goku showed regret, and while I know character growth isn't really on the menu here, I still never expected to see him repeat it so blatantly.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 am

I've no idea how anyone didn't see this coming; we just had a lengthy discussion like 8 pages ago about how likely and in-character this would be. It's almost like people would rather pretend like that's not true so that they can get angry about it when it happens... :roll:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:00 am

Alruneia wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm Time for the usual complaints about the drafts which tend to be addressed by the full chapter, I guess.
Though I have to say that I'm having a bit of an "I told you so" moment with a certain plot point in these drafts. (I don't remember if I said it here, though.) I'll avoid mentioning it directly due to spoilers, but put simply, Toyotaro didn't set it up in order to not use it, and there you go, now he's using it.
I think it's pointless for Goku to give Moro a senzu knowing he won't willingly go back to prison but I'm going to wait to see the full chapter. I'm not sure what's going to happen but either way we're waiting so might as well hope for something good.