"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am
mute_proxy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 amWhat if in the next panel, realizing Moro can't change, one punches him to death, ending the story :think:
I really hope this happens, as I'm beyond ready for this arc to end. That's not going to happen though, as Vegeta still needs a round 2, Beerus needs to fight, and maybe Buu for good measure. That's a good 6 months of chapters.

Another issue I have with Goku's decision is that we know for a fact he won't pay for it. When Goku pulled this with Cell, he died and was gone for 7 years. It completely changed the path of DB's story. Here though, no one's going to hold him accountable, not the characters and definitely not the writers. There's also the fact that Merus DIED to give him this chance...only for him to throw it away ? not only did he throw it away, he went out of his way to help him. So much for being angry over his teacher's death a chapter ago. Just when I think Modern Goku can't be written any more dis-likable, I'm proven wrong.

See that’s why I don’t want Goku just to turn around and beat Moro again. It’s literally the exact same thing that we just saw a chapter before so I don’t see how it adds anything to the story and I think there should be consequences for a bad decision like this.

So this is why I am unhappy either way. I didn’t want Goku to make a bad decision to extend the arc and I don’t want this decision to not have any consequences.

Yes I still want Vegeta to get to do something meaningful in the fight against Moro but not because Goku gave Moro a sensu bean. It just feels like an artificial way to extend this arc.

I get maybe Goku doesn’t like to execute a helpless opponent but the story didn’t have to be written so Goku is put in that situation in the 1st place.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:03 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 am I've no idea how anyone didn't see this coming; we just had a lengthy discussion like 8 pages ago about how likely and in-character this would be. It's almost like people would rather pretend like that's not true so that they can get angry about it when it happens... :roll:
You be surprise how little dragon ball fandom actually knows about dragon ball?

The last time Goku took a villain out right in front of his face was in Ball, like in daimao.

I think he gave him jr a senzu,, he let vegeta go, he healed freeza and then let him go, he gave cell a senzu and he knowingly help revive buu.

Those things would be machine gunned in modern dragon ball because we don't have hindsight.

Now, this could still go bad by having Goku lose Mui or Moro having a new trick but both are heavily unlikely. Merus sealed his orbs and he is charging at Goku with a physical attack and MUI isn't running out in 1 chapter. Not to mention Vegeta is literally right there who can separate him which Moro can't stop anymore.

The anger might be because its too much like cell.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:03 am

I've started to dislike this arc for a while, ever since Goku arrived I was hoping that the arc wouldn't overstay its welcome, but now they've kept finding different ways to keep Moro around and it's starting to get annoying as hell. Moro needs to die by the end of the arc, I just hope the end doesn't mean another 4 months.

Hell, this makes Merus's death look ten times more stupid than it already was. Merus legit tried his best to weaken Moro for Goku to finish and Goku just hands him a senzu and makes killing him harder. Merus's death looks so stupid and Goku is making things worse for everyone because Moro will be written to have some BS powerup or something to turn the battle around in his favor.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am

Kinokima wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 amI still want Vegeta to get to do something meaningful in the fight against Moro but not because Goku gave Moro a sensu bean. It just feels like an artificial way to extend this arc.
I also want Vegeta to do more, which he will, but I don't want it through making Goku look bad, just as I don't want Goku getting something through making Vegeta look bad.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:08 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am
mute_proxy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 amWhat if in the next panel, realizing Moro can't change, one punches him to death, ending the story :think:
I really hope this happens, as I'm beyond ready for this arc to end. That's not going to happen though, as Vegeta still needs a round 2, Beerus needs to fight, and maybe Buu for good measure. That's a good 6 months of chapters.

Another issue I have with Goku's decision is that we know for a fact he won't pay for it. When Goku pulled this with Cell, he died and was gone for 7 years. It completely changed the path of DB's story. Here though, no one's going to hold him accountable, not the characters and definitely not the writers. There's also the fact that Merus DIED to give him this chance...only for him to throw it away ? not only did he throw it away, he went out of his way to help him. So much for being angry over his teacher's death a chapter ago. Just when I think Modern Goku can't be written any more dis-likable, I'm proven wrong.
What the...Goku didn't pay for his mistake with Cell, he paid for Gohan's mistake with Cell and the only reason why that happened was because Goku said it was going to.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am
Kinokima wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 amI still want Vegeta to get to do something meaningful in the fight against Moro but not because Goku gave Moro a sensu bean. It just feels like an artificial way to extend this arc.
I also want Vegeta to do more, which he will, but I don't want it through making Goku look bad, just as I don't want Goku getting something through making Vegeta look bad.
But that IS exactly what happened with Vegeta too. The only thing Vegeta really accomplished was making Moro stronger so Goku could come in with an even stronger power up.

If from the beginning Goku and Vegeta couldn’t beat Moro alone (by no fault of their own) but together they could have combined what they learned from Merus & the Yadratians I think it would have been all the more satisfying. But instead this final battle kept getting extended unnecessarily. The twists aren’t even good or things we haven’t seen before.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 am

Totamo wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:08 amGoku didn't pay for his mistake with Cell, he paid for Gohan's mistake with Cell and the only reason why that happened was because Goku said it was going to.
Goku shouldn't have given Cell a Senzu, nor should he have thrown Gohan in the ring unprepared. Those were massive mistakes that he was called out on by Piccolo and the others.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:49 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 am
Totamo wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:08 amGoku didn't pay for his mistake with Cell, he paid for Gohan's mistake with Cell and the only reason why that happened was because Goku said it was going to.
Goku shouldn't have given Cell a Senzu, nor should he have thrown Gohan in the ring unprepared. Those were massive mistakes that he was called out on by Piccolo and the others.
Krillin and Jaco don't exactly look too pleased with Goku in this moment either.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:04 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:49 amKrillin and Jaco don't exactly look too pleased with Goku in this moment either.
He's still going to get away with it, at least his nonsense with Cell literally blew up in his face.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:07 am

In the grand scheme of things, Goku giving Cell a senzu didn't make any difference, since Cell, even healthy, was obliterated by Gohan and just wasn't killed because of Gohan himself.

Btw, I would really like to see Piccolo and Vegeta's reaction to that moment with Moro

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:09 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:07 am
In the grand scheme of things, Goku giving Cell a senzu didn't make any difference, since Cell, even healthy, was obliterated by Gohan and just wasn't killed because of Gohan himself.

Btw, I would really like to see Piccolo and Vegeta's reaction to that moment with Moro
Probably something around the lines of 'ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US ALL,GOKU!?' And if this backfires and Goku doesn't end up killing Moro by the end of the chap it'll be obvious they have one last trick for Moro before he's ultimately defeated.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:21 am

pepd wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 pm

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:26 am

batistabus wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:21 amImagine Moro becoming a peaceful bean farmer on a remote planet lol. I don't think they could let him go at this point, but if he is primarily motivated by his hunger, perhaps this could play into a resolution.
Him and Goku can practice their dancing moves on Merus' grave while they're at it. :thumbup:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 am

Totamo wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:31 am This is not Cell and I don't think this is is even Freeza.

The former came from over confidence in his son, the latter came from pure pity.

This seems like Goku is purposely baiting.
I'm putting all my hopes in this one, because in the last panel Goku isn't surprised by Moro's decision. Let's hope Moro doesn't have another trick up his sleeve that catches him off guard.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:42 am

batistabus wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:21 am
I wouldn't joke about that if I were you. When you look at the villains/antagonists of DBZ and DBS, only Zamasu and Cell died without getting any sort of redemption or forgiveness. Based on track record, then Moro might indeed become a neutral character and his countless crimes might effectively be brushed aside.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:47 am

Looking at this drafts I was expecting much worse. I honestly thought Moro was going to kill Krillin and have him explode in front of Goku.

I would have been so pissed. :lol:

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:48 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:42 am
I wouldn't joke about that if I were you. When you look at the villains/antagonists of DBZ and DBS, only Zamasu and Cell died without getting any sort of redemption or forgiveness. Based on track record, then Moro might indeed become a neutral character and his countless crimes might effectively be brushed aside.
Ugh...Please someone....just kill Moro and end the arc. It's been too long and I don't want him to stick around. Moro is legit pure evil, he'll pretend to change before he comes back and kills everyone. Sparing/letting him live somewhere would bite them all in the ass since he'll probably break out his remaining henchmen and pull this shit again.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:52 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:04 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:49 amKrillin and Jaco don't exactly look too pleased with Goku in this moment either.
He's still going to get away with it, at least his nonsense with Cell literally blew up in his face.
Goku giving Cell the senzu wasn't the biggest blunder in that case. It was one stupid tactical move amongst a whole sea of them that steadily piled up, but in the grand scheme, the senzu didn't make much difference since he wanted Cell to push Gohan into unleashing his full rage-fuelled power. Goku's prime fuck-up was suddenly acting like some kind of Light Yagami-esque machiavellian genius judging by the fact that he never thought to tell Gohan or any of the others this great plan of his, and generally believing that Gohan would react to the situation in the same way he would. As a result, Gohan's subsequent belaying of the situation resulted in Goku's death.

In this case, it looks to me like Goku is propping Moro back up only to smack him back down again. He's not bracing himself at all for Moro's counter-attack because he's probably gonna shrug it off with as much ease as before. Whether or not it's going to prove a worthwhile move somehow in the long run or completely backfire remains to be seen.
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 am

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:48 am
Ugh...Please someone....just kill Moro and end the arc. It's been too long and I don't want him to stick around. Moro is legit pure evil, he'll pretend to change before he comes back and kills everyone. Sparing/letting him live somewhere would bite them all in the ass since he'll probably break out his remaining henchmen and pull this shit again.
I agree with you but that's the problem. This show doesn't shy away from redeeming these kind of people. Vegeta committed mundicide, tried to destroy the Earth, killed Goku's friends, then when he was given a second chance he went back to slaughtering and pillaging innocent villages on Namek. And yet, despite all that, he was redeemed and is now considered a good guy by everyone. I believe Toriyama even said in the past that Vegeta was originally supposed to remain a pure evil character, but he kept him around and gave him a redemption arc because he noticed how popular he was.

So then if the standard for redeemable villains is so low, I won't be shocked if Goku pulls some miraculous power of friendship speech with Moro. Disappointed for sure, because there are other people who deserved redemption more than Moro, but not shocked.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:01 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 am
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:48 am

I agree with you but that's the problem. This show doesn't shy away from redeeming these kind of people. Vegeta committed mundicide, tried to destroy the Earth, killed Goku's friends, then when he was given a second chance he went back to slaughtering and pillaging innocent villages on Namek. And yet, despite all that, he was redeemed and is now considered a good guy by everyone. I believe Toriyama even said in the past that Vegeta was originally supposed to remain a pure evil character, but he kept him around and gave him a redemption arc because he noticed how popular he was.

So then if the standard for redeemable villains is so low, I won't be shocked if Goku pulls some miraculous power of friendship speech with Moro. Disappointed for sure, because there are other people who deserved redemption more than Moro, but not shocked.
It also makes Merus's death look stupider in hindsight if Goku is just gonna do 'Yo Moro, catch the senzu bean!' Seriously, I think this arc should've ended prior Merus's sacrifice and have that be saved for a later arc because the writing if getting ridiculous. Like if Merus was still alive, what the hell do you think his reaction would be to Goku doing this? I know, livid. Merus's death was in vain and badly handled, especially since Goku is just giving Moro a senzu.

This is the cell arc but worse...