"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:10 pm

And maybe, the manga won’t get adapted at all, like the Saint Seiya Next Dimension...
I just hope that TOEI won’t jump on DB series again with some original story they come up with themselves, much like the Saint Seiya series or Dragon Ball GT.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:51 pm

I’d like the Moro arc to get adapted as is. I wouldn’t mind if the Toei adds extra details but I don’t want two very different versions.

That being said I don’t want the early arcs of the manga adapted. I don’t need to see the U6, Trunks, and TOP arc again Same reason I don’t need to see the Broly movie adapted for TV.

Of course I am saying I want to see the Moro arc again. But that’s because I think it’s nice to get all the promotion that would come with an anime adaption. The other arcs and Broly movie already received that.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Really liked this transitional chapter to the new arc.

Overall I like the manga but I won't lie that the previous arc was bad straight up; even worse the extreme references to the original Dragon Ball just turned me off.
Toyotarõ significant strong point that differentiates him from Toriyama, for me is planning, which the Moro arc had nothing off. Stuff like Trunks being an attendant to the Kaioshin and all that entailed to the plot.

For me this new arc is an opportunity for redemption, it's already to a much better start than the previous one. It turns 73 into something more interesting, feels natural and gives us an interesting villain/rival(?) in Granola(?).
Hope his gunslinger leaning turns into a feature also, like someone mentioned before in the thread I hope he's a technology based villain.

Curious about Merus future role, he better not be sidelined.

Ps: Even if this next arc turns out to be great, I would prefer a million times that we advance past EoZ!

Ps1: Hope Beerus threat comes to fruition, my ideal "closing" to this lost decade was a rematch against the Hakaioshin.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:49 pm

It's funny because Toriyama indeed WAS disappointed with the anime. In 2016.

I haven't find evidence he still holds the same opinion. Especially since his problem with the anime was vocally about the quality of the animation, not the stories or the writing.

So in all seriousness, saying that Toriyama dislikes the anime because it's "bad", in 2020, years after he was vocal about it and after the quality of the product had a clear improvement, says more about your own bias than the author's. Unless you have more modern evidence, of course. In which case, I stand corrected.
Last edited by Thani on Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:49 pm

This Granola guy can't be the main villain. There's no purple or pink on him. The villains in DB wear purple or pink or have a purple or pink body part, with some exceptions here and there (Vegeta, Jiren, Nappa, Raditz, Androids, tho most of these either turned good or were just secondary villains).

I'm just kidding of course but I wouldn't be surprised if he really won't end up being the main villain.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:51 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:49 pm This Granola guy can't be the main villain. There's no purple or pink on him. The villains in DB wear purple or pink or have a purple or pink body part, with some exceptions here and there (Vegeta, Jiren, Nappa, Raditz, Androids, tho most of these either turned good or were just secondary villains).

I'm just kidding of course but I wouldn't be surprised if he really won't end up being the main villain.
I honestly can't see why he would be the villain. He was introducing attacking a den of bad guys who wanted to conquer the universe. As far as we can see, he's interested in 7-3 for some reason, but nothing yet indicates Granola is a villain.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:00 pm

Thani wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:49 pm It's funny because Toriyama indeed WAS disappointed with the anime. In 2016.

I haven't find evidence he still holds the same opinion. Especially since his problem with the anime was vocally about the quality of the animation, not the stories or the writing.

So in all seriousness, saying that Toriyama dislikes the anime because it's "bad", in 2020, years after he was vocal about it and after the quality of the product had a clear improvement, says more about your own bias than the author's. Unless you have more modern evidence, of course. In which case, I stand corrected.
Regardless the fact that he was complaining back then is important.

If a teacher is disappointed about their student, it's because they have high expectations, they want the student to be as perfect as he or she can be. In other words, the teacher CARES about the student.

Therefore, if Toriyama was disappointed by the anime, often complained about it, and even helped Toei many times to come up with scripts and such, very clearly he cared a lot about the anime. If he didn't care, why would he complain about the quality of the anime? He'd just be indifferent.

Toriyama isn't dumb, he understands that millions upon millions of people are exposed to the anime, he'd be an idiot to only care about the manga while letting Toei do whatever the hell they want.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:54 pm

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm pointing out that using that line today, in 2020, doesn't really work anymore unless Toriyama came out recently and said he thought the anime was bad. As you said, he was working with TOEI, and he had four years to help them improve on the material they had. And the anime did get better, considerably better, than it was in 2016.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:00 pm

Thani wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:54 pm I'm not saying it isn't. I'm pointing out that using that line today, in 2020, doesn't really work anymore unless Toriyama came out recently and said he thought the anime was bad. As you said, he was working with TOEI, and he had four years to help them improve on the material they had. And the anime did get better, considerably better, than it was in 2016.
Yeah, that's what I've been saying. The first 2 arcs of Super are a 1/10, the Universe 6 arc is a 6/10, while the Future Trunks and ToP arcs are easily a 10/10. Super has objectively improved, both writing-wise and animation-wise.

I think that by 2017 (start of the ToP arc) Toriyama was no longer disappointed by Super, like most of the fanbase really.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:30 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:00 pm
Thani wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:54 pm I'm not saying it isn't. I'm pointing out that using that line today, in 2020, doesn't really work anymore unless Toriyama came out recently and said he thought the anime was bad. As you said, he was working with TOEI, and he had four years to help them improve on the material they had. And the anime did get better, considerably better, than it was in 2016.
Yeah, that's what I've been saying. The first 2 arcs of Super are a 1/10, the Universe 6 arc is a 6/10, while the Future Trunks and ToP arcs are easily a 10/10. Super has objectively improved, both writing-wise and animation-wise.

I think that by 2017 (start of the ToP arc) Toriyama was no longer disappointed by Super, like most of the fanbase really.
Toriyama was still involved in 2017: https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/859668635656126464

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:08 pm

Oh Toshio he is one writer I hope comes back if they bring back the anime

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:09 am

Honestly, How cool would it be for there to be a dragon ball super spin off that was done by Dragon Garow Lee. I’ve seen his art and its far better than Toyotaro’s best. Maybe some kind of Hit spin off. Honestly I would do that would be very interesting.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:25 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:09 am Honestly, How cool would it be for there to be a dragon ball super spin off that was done by Dragon Garow Lee. I’ve seen his art and its far better than Toyotaro’s best. Maybe some kind of Hit spin off. Honestly I would do that would be very interesting.
If Dragon Ball Super never plans on going past the end of Z era. They should just let Dragon Garow Lee do it in a spin off, and/or maybe even explore the other Universes with the ToP cast from said Universes. Might not ever get animated, unless its characteristics are used in Dragon Ball Heroes, but its better than nothing.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:28 am

head_cha_la wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:30 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:00 pm

Toriyama was still involved in 2017: https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/859668635656126464
I didn't deny that.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:36 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:09 am Honestly, How cool would it be for there to be a dragon ball super spin off that was done by Dragon Garow Lee. I’ve seen his art and its far better than Toyotaro’s best. Maybe some kind of Hit spin off. Honestly I would do that would be very interesting.
I quite like DGL's art, but he seems to have struggled to meet deadlines for the Yamcha manga, and his take on the Super characters isn't nearly as good as those from the original manga. Regardless, I wouldn't mind him doing a one-shot along these lines, as long as Toriyama was involved to some extent (like he was for the Yamcha manga).

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:36 pm

I've read enough of Dragon Garow Lee's work to say I'm thoroughly unimpressed with his writing, but I like some of his art.

The manga's just fine in Toyotaro's hands.
Formerly Marlowe89.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:47 pm

The Undying wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:36 pm I've read enough of Dragon Garow Lee's work to say I'm thoroughly unimpressed with his writing, but I like some of his art.

The manga's just fine in Toyotaro's hands.
Absolutely, I agree and I honestly don’t want him to replace Toyotaro. Just another Spin off Manga to tell more stories.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:45 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:49 pm This Granola guy can't be the main villain. There's no purple or pink on him. The villains in DB wear purple or pink or have a purple or pink body part, with some exceptions here and there (Vegeta, Jiren, Nappa, Raditz, Androids, tho most of these either turned good or were just secondary villains).

Vegeta's Galick Gun was purple!

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:47 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Vegeta's Galick Gun was purple!
Not in the manga :wink:

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:16 am
emperior wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:07 am
But this doesn’t mean the manga is promotional.

I'm afraid it is.
What is it promoting right now? Nothing, there is no anime, therefore it is no longer promotional. The manga used to come out after the anime, it didn't contain complete story arcs and was supplemental to the anime, but it's evolved into a stand alone thing that has complete story arcs contained within its pages.