"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:51 am

The flames in the aura were just design adjustments to differentiate between forms more easily and mastered SSB is without the aura

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:24 am

IM21 wrote:Toyo's Bardock doesn't look that bad.

That left hand though good lord

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:21 am

shadowfox87 wrote:The potara for me wasn't a retcon. It was never explained why Vegito defused inside Buu's stomach. The previous explanation was because of the "air" in Buu's stomach. Now we have a better one. Elder Kaioshin just didn't know what he was talking about because normally, non-kaioshin don't use the potara.
I totally agree. It isn't really even a retcon, we just got a better explanation, and it makes sense In-Universe because conventionally only Kaioshin use them so Elder Kaioshin not knowing about that restriction makes sense. Gowasu hasn't been sealed up in a sword forever so he's more in the loop as far as things work, and "our" Shin is just a moron that doesn't know anything.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:03 am

mute_proxy wrote:The flames in the aura were just design adjustments to differentiate between forms more easily and mastered SSB is without the aura
I'm just sitting here wondering why people are calling them "flames" when they're clearly globules.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:28 pm

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:33 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/10 ... 4257744901

Broly is a "demon Saiyan"
I don't think they mean a literal demon, like Akuma for instance. In that context Demon/monster usually just means a power so big it seems otherworldly.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:

I don't think they mean a literal demon, like Akuma for instance. In that context Demon/monster usually just means a power so big it seems otherworldly.
Oh I know. I'm just pointing it out cause thats exactly what kale was described as in the manga

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:40 pm

1345521 wrote:
IM21 wrote:Toyo's Bardock doesn't look that bad:
It's going to be a bit hard to say, but I think Toyotaro is going to make a really good Broly arc. To me, Toyotaro really dropped the ball in the ToP arc (I think large part due to having to rush it to get to the Broly stuff), but I think he can rebound this Broly arc, and he's really going to expand what the movie did. How long do you have Toyotaro's Broly arc being? 12 chapters? 16 chapters?
You cannot be serious, I don't think there will be a Broly arc, at most Toyotaro will do a few few promotional chapters like he did back in Ressurection of F' movie.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Noah wrote:
1345521 wrote:
IM21 wrote:Toyo's Bardock doesn't look that bad:
It's going to be a bit hard to say, but I think Toyotaro is going to make a really good Broly arc. To me, Toyotaro really dropped the ball in the ToP arc (I think large part due to having to rush it to get to the Broly stuff), but I think he can rebound this Broly arc, and he's really going to expand what the movie did. How long do you have Toyotaro's Broly arc being? 12 chapters? 16 chapters?
You cannot be serious, I don't think there will be a Broly arc, at most Toyotaro will do a few few promotional chapters like he did back in Ressurection of F' movie.

Toriyama basically said that Toyotaro will adapt the movie into an arc, also we know that he wrote a script that would go 180 minutes which was cut to 100 minutes for the film meaning there's possibly a lot of lore stuff that the manga and anime will delve into later

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:54 pm

reecehoward wrote: Well, the reason the potara one was particularly stupid is because both versions(manga and anime) have the plot point of Kibitokai using the dragonballs to defuse. Everyone in their right mind assumed that this was setting up for Vegito's return, which would make a lot of sense in order for Vegito to not be a permanent thing. There was no need for this retcon other than to add a sense of tension for a Vegito fight, which doesn't work for my sensibilities personally. Once you introduce obvious weaknesses such as time limits and stamina drains, the fights become hella predictable to me.
Except Vegito wasn't really original meant to return and the retcon was for Merged Zamasu.
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:

Oh I know. I'm just pointing it out cause thats exactly what kale was described as in the manga

Not really the same. Cabba called Kale a 'Demon Saiyan', while the card seems to used demon as a general term, not a title.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:03 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Toriyama basically said that Toyotaro will adapt the movie into an arc, also we know that he wrote a script that would go 180 minutes which was cut to 100 minutes for the film meaning there's possibly a lot of lore stuff that the manga and anime will delve into later
For realsies? Then this means it will be a continuation of this manga or it will be do it separately?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Noah wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:Toriyama basically said that Toyotaro will adapt the movie into an arc, also we know that he wrote a script that would go 180 minutes which was cut to 100 minutes for the film meaning there's possibly a lot of lore stuff that the manga and anime will delve into later
For realsies? Then this means it will be a continuation of this manga or it will be do it separately?
Continuation, not sure why you think it would be cancelled. Despite the negative view that you tend to see amongst the "internet western fandom" towards it, it sells more than well enough to where there is no reason to cancel it plus shueisha and toriyama and people in japan seem to like toyotaro a lot more than the west.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Cool chapter.
    -UI goku vs Jiren was fun while I prefer Goku vs Fused Zamasu it is at least better then the lackluster Goku vs Hit.
      -I liked how Jiren motives explained with reviving his master and it provided an interesting comparison on Goku and Roshi.
        -Vegeta and Goku teaming up is really cool but I still prefer Goku and Frieza which I think it will appear next month.
        Mostly active on discord.

reecehoward
        Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:00 pm

HeroR wrote:
        reecehoward wrote: Well, the reason the potara one was particularly stupid is because both versions(manga and anime) have the plot point of Kibitokai using the dragonballs to defuse. Everyone in their right mind assumed that this was setting up for Vegito's return, which would make a lot of sense in order for Vegito to not be a permanent thing. There was no need for this retcon other than to add a sense of tension for a Vegito fight, which doesn't work for my sensibilities personally. Once you introduce obvious weaknesses such as time limits and stamina drains, the fights become hella predictable to me.
        Except Vegito wasn't really original meant to return and the retcon was for Merged Zamasu.
        RecolorSaiyan wrote:
        supersaiyanZero wrote:

Not really the same. Cabba called Kale a 'Demon Saiyan', while the card seems to used demon as a general term, not a title.
        I know. Still doesn't make the retcon sit any better with me. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, i don't think that retcon was created for Zamasu as it never came up in the anime, which tells me that was something Toyotaro chose to do for Merged Zamasu...which amounted to nothing because Zamasu stayed fused and multiplied because reasons.lol

Honestly, even if it wasn't a retcon doesn't mean I woupd have liked it. I don't like severe stamina issues and time limits at this stage in the game. With potara having that stipulation, it lost what really seperated it from metamoran fusion.

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 pm

reecehoward wrote:
        I know. Still doesn't make the retcon sit any better with me. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, i don't think that retcon was created for Zamasu as it never came up in the anime, which tells me that was something Toyotaro chose to do for Merged Zamasu...which amounted to nothing because Zamasu stayed fused and multiplied because reasons.lol

Honestly, even if it wasn't a retcon doesn't mean I woupd have liked it. I don't like severe stamina issues and time limits at this stage in the game. With potara having that stipulation, it lost what really seperated it from metamoran fusion.
        Toyo confirmed that the retcon was a thing before Vegito, who wasn't in the original manga. Vegito was literally fan service that was added in later.

Potara is a god's fusion, so it make sense why it would greatly benefit gods and be gimped for mortals. That and the Potara fusion only existed because of Fusion Reborn and Toriyama didn't want to reused the Fusion Dance for Goku and Vegeta.
        Kanassa wrote:
        Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Rakurai
        Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:31 pm

HeroR wrote:
        The usage is the same and it's too convenient to be called a coincidence. A Saiyan said to be called a demon, and a "demon" Saiyan. M8 Broly called himself a demon. They're demons in terms of power and personality.
        Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

reecehoward
        Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:49 pm

HeroR wrote:
        reecehoward wrote:

Toyo confirmed that the retcon was a thing before Vegito, who wasn't in the original manga. Vegito was literally fan service that was added in later.

Potara is a god's fusion, so it make sense why it would greatly benefit gods and be gimped for mortals. That and the Potara fusion only existed because of Fusion Reborn and Toriyama didn't want to reused the Fusion Dance for Goku and Vegeta.
        I have to put it out there, but my issue is not whether it makes sense or not. My issue is that it bores me to sleep when i know the outcome of a fight because a weakness or drawback is established right before a fight or in it's beginning stages. It's not a matter of it making sense, more a matter of it just isn't interesting when it's overused, which has been the case since the Buu arc; with damn near every new concept having similar faults. That arc burned that method of tension out for me.

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:31 pm

Rakurai wrote:
        HeroR wrote:
        The usage is the same and it's too convenient to be called a coincidence. A Saiyan said to be called a demon, and a "demon" Saiyan. M8 Broly called himself a demon. They're demons in terms of power and personality.
        They both could be nods to Broly’s line and not Toyo’s ‘Demon Saiyan’.
        reecehoward wrote:
        HeroR wrote:
        reecehoward wrote:

I have to put it out there, but my issue is not whether it makes sense or not. My issue is that it bores me to sleep when i know the outcome of a fight because a weakness or drawback is established right before a fight or in it's beginning stages. It's not a matter of it making sense, more a matter of it just isn't interesting when it's overused, which has been the case since the Buu arc; with damn near every new concept having similar faults. That arc burned that method of tension out for me.

Opposite for me since I didn’t see Trunks cutting Zamasu in half and never wanted Vegito anyway.
        Kanassa wrote:

Rakurai
        Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:14 pm

HeroR wrote:
        Rakurai wrote:
        HeroR wrote:
        I never thought of it any other way. OG Broly is the prototype for Kale and DBS Broly, of course they're going to use his popular perception as a clutch for characterization. They're both "demons" so to speak, the result is the same.
        Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

reecehoward
        Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:59 pm

HeroR wrote:
        Rakurai wrote:
        HeroR wrote:
        reecehoward wrote:
        HeroR wrote:

Opposite for me since I didn’t see Trunks cutting Zamasu in half and never wanted Vegito anyway.
        I'm talking about the results of Vegito's fight in both versions. Once they revealed the weakness, it was already a forgone conclusion that he wasn't gonna get the job done. They could've just had it happen and then told us why.