"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by caire » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:16 am

batistabus wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 pm
Speaking of Merus, I want Jaco to get a promotion because of his work on this case. He inherits all 104 of Merus' districts and drowns in paperwork.
This made me chuckle. If I recall correctly, Jaco outright took the credit for Merus's capturing of the Macareni gang in one chapter as well. I would LOVE to see him get promoted into Merus's place, and inevitably try and worm his way out of it.
I'm looking forward to the "aftereffects" of this arc just as much as I am for the final fight.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri May 01, 2020 8:49 pm

So it seems we might be close to this arc finale and so far it still pretty mediocre

What's funnier is that people actually believe Vegeta will have somekind of payoff, I mean for realsies? Vegeta is the main villain BITCH ever since 1991, that didn't changed in 29 years, there's no reasons this would be changed now. Hell, even when I thought he would shine, he managed to be killed for the second time by Freeza.

But yea, I can expect him to do some shit and giggles and in the end, Goku saves the day, because you know... he's the protagonist of this damn series.

Michsi wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:46 am I have to admit, my favorite line was from Piccolo after Goku came to save them from the minions. "No point in training if we can't defend the Earth in the end. I wonder, when was it that you guys got so far ahead of us. " It was absolutely hilarious. Apparently it took Piccolo 20 years to come to terms with being outclassed.
Well, considering that in EoZ he said the reasons that he's not in the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai was because Goku and Vegeta were worlds above him (not quite his words) that's pretty accurate from his character.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat May 02, 2020 9:11 am

Noah wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Well, considering that in EoZ he said the reasons that he's not in the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai was because Goku and Vegeta were worlds above him (not quite his words) that's pretty accurate from his character.
Does he say that in the anime? I'm pretty sure it's not in the manga.

Regardless, if he had made a statement like the one you mentioned it would've made more sense, because that's just a case of stating the obvious. In the DBS chapter it was almost like he was just now noticing how far ahead they were when it's something he should've understood a looooooong time ago. It's not in what he says, it's in how he says it. It's a little late for that sort of lamentation .

AndLad92

Post by AndLad92 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 pm

A bit off topic, but it's a question about the manga nevertheless:

How come there's such a big difference in the release dates of the Japanese and the English version of the Dragon Ball Super manga books?
I mean, the Japanese manga books releases almost simultanously as the chapter releases, but the English version releases so much later.

It shouldn't be a question of translation, given the fact that new DBS chapters are already translated to English the second it releases.
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Dig up an old post of mine where I addressed this, so apologies if there’s anything that’s not super relevant or timely anymore, but I think it’s pretty comprehensive:

Viz is the American company responsible for the series' official English translation and release. They began releasing the series online in digital format in June 2016 (so about a year after its debut in Japan). From here, they very slowly began catching up with the Japanese serialization. Chapter 23 in April 2017 marked the first point that they began simultaneously posting the chapter day-and-date with its Japanese serialization in V-Jump in Japan. From this point forward, all chapters have been released online in English the same day as their Japanese print debut.

Much like Shueisha does in Japan, Viz also releases collected print editions of the Dragon Ball Super manga while it's also working on the current serialization. Viz's release of the printed collected editions didn't begin until May 2017 (at which point, as you read above, they were already 20-odd chapters into a digital release).

Viz is set to release the fifth collected edition in May, which will cover chapters 25 to 28. Their print edition lags behind Japan for a variety of reasons:

- They began translating and releasing it later, so naturally there's a pre-built-in delay.
- There is additional material to translate in the print editions, including interstitial illustrations, interviews, etc.
- Shipping and distribution is a larger concern for a country like America than Japan.
- Viz redraws all of the sound effects (things like "FWOOSH!") for their collected print/digital release of the manga. Whether they need to or not is certainly a separate question, but it's what they do, and that takes significant time.
- Viz does also make adjustments to translations in the collected release.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:09 pm

I have a question about Gohan. Kinda old, but I was never here for the discussion when it took place.

I've seen some people take Gohan's "I choose to evolve as a human and not rely on my Saiyan blood" statement to mean he's intentionally going out of his way to fight without utilizing his Super Saiyan abilities anymore. Now many agree that Ultimate would mean there's no reason for him to ever use Super Saiyan again, but what do you think the meaning of this statement is? It still seems like a pretty odd one to me.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:12 pm

I find it silly when his saiyan heritage is where he gets his strength more than his human heritage.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 04, 2020 8:32 pm

I think the statement is more concerned about Gohan's character, not so much about power. Gohan does not like to fight. Or rather he likes the mundane life more so than fighting. Goku even apologized to him for battling a few chapters ago.

So Gohan not turning SSJ, being a hybrid, who does not have the true spirit of a Saiyan, evolving as a human [Ultimate Gohan] seems fitting.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Tue May 05, 2020 1:20 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:12 pm I find it silly when his saiyan heritage is where he gets his strength more than his human heritage.
Not really, sure he's stronger than the average Human because he's half-Saiyan.
But the reason why he's one of the strongest guys in the universe is because he's half-Human. Elder Kaioshin's potential unlock seems to be his strongest "form" right now, and one of the major reasons why he's so strong in that form is because he has much greater potential than Goku and co. due to being half-Human.

Related:
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:09 pm I have a question about Gohan. Kinda old, but I was never here for the discussion when it took place.

I've seen some people take Gohan's "I choose to evolve as a human and not rely on my Saiyan blood" statement to mean he's intentionally going out of his way to fight without utilizing his Super Saiyan abilities anymore. Now many agree that Ultimate would mean there's no reason for him to ever use Super Saiyan again, but what do you think the meaning of this statement is? It still seems like a pretty odd one to me.
It'd seem pretty nonsensical if Gohan could stack his Super Saiyan power on top of his "Ultimate Form" and yet he'd choose to not do that. I could consider it if his Super Saiyan state perhaps came with a drawback like SS Grade II, III and Super Saiyan 3 did, and yet he's the only one along with Goku who's explicitly shown to have mastered the Super Saiyan state. There's no reason why Gohan should not have used every ounce of power he had when the fate of the universe was at stake in the Tournament of Power and in the current arc.

I interpreted the statement to mean that he had no interest in attaining the flashier Super Saiyan forms and would rather focus on improving as a Human in his Base/Ultimate state, kind of like how Goku saw the drawbacks of the Grade II/III forms and had them train in their Base/Regular SS states instead.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue May 05, 2020 2:23 am

DBZ Macky wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:20 am
dbzfan7 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:12 pm I find it silly when his saiyan heritage is where he gets his strength more than his human heritage.
But the reason why he's one of the strongest guys in the universe is because he's half-Human. Elder Kaioshin's potential unlock seems to be his strongest "form" right now, and one of the major reasons why he's so strong in that form is because he has much greater potential than Goku and co. due to being half-Human.

Related:
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:09 pm I have a question about Gohan. Kinda old, but I was never here for the discussion when it took place.

It'd seem pretty nonsensical if Gohan could stack his Super Saiyan power on top of his "Ultimate Form" and yet he'd choose to not do that. I could consider it if his Super Saiyan state perhaps came with a drawback like SS Grade II, III and Super Saiyan 3 did, and yet he's the only one along with Goku who's explicitly shown to have mastered the Super Saiyan state. There's no reason why Gohan should not have used every ounce of power he had when the fate of the universe was at stake in the Tournament of Power and in the current arc.

I interpreted the statement to mean that he had no interest in attaining the flashier Super Saiyan forms and would rather focus on improving as a Human in his Base/Ultimate state, kind of like how Goku saw the drawbacks of the Grade II/III forms and had them train in their Base/Regular SS states instead.
I always took that quote as him wanting to fight more and strengthening his base form

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:29 am

Pretty sure if he was half something else half human he wouldn't be nearly as strong. It's not the half human part that makes him special, it's the saiyan part. His human heritage doesn't really bless him with anything but emotions. While his saiyan side gave power and access to Super Saiyan forms and so on. The two merged lead to a special potential sure, but I'd say it's more him being saiyan than human which leads to his power. So being strong as a human ain't likely gonna do much for him.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue May 05, 2020 8:22 am

It's been a while since I read that chapter, but if I recall what was said correctly, I think DBZ Macky and Noitsnothim are right. Gohan's claim was in response to Kefla asking him about transforming, so the "growing stronger as a human" thing would refer to him not transforming at all, since humans don't have transformations, and instead just training normally. (Ultimate isn't a transformation.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue May 05, 2020 11:41 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:29 am
Pretty sure if he was half something else half human he wouldn't be nearly as strong. It's not the half human part that makes him special, it's the saiyan part. His human heritage doesn't really bless him with anything but emotions. While his saiyan side gave power and access to Super Saiyan forms and so on. The two merged lead to a special potential sure, but I'd say it's more him being saiyan than human which leads to his power. So being strong as a human ain't likely gonna do much for him.
I think you are sleeping on DB humans. Other than Freeza and like 3 saiyans, there's only super science and magic monsters and god's stronger then them.

Ten Yamcha and Kurririn and chaozu are 8 9 10 11 and 12 strongest people in their universe. Stronger than all but 3 saiyans who ever lived.

We haven't seen enough Saiyan X something else hybrids to show how much the human part contributes.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:56 pm

TobyS wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:41 amI think you are sleeping on DB humans. Other than Freeza and like 3 saiyans, there's only super science and magic monsters and god's stronger then them.

Ten Yamcha and Kurririn and chaozu are 8 9 10 11 and 12 strongest people in their universe. Stronger than all but 3 saiyans who ever lived.

We haven't seen enough Saiyan X something else hybrids to show how much the human part contributes.
I sleep on them mainly because saiyans have endless evolution's while humans really don't. And it's with those evolution's that lead to more and more insane battle power. Though with a universe with only 28 planets with life apparently it's not that impressive for them. It is to a degree but lesser than what it could be.

I believe the emotion part the humans give is key to the saiyan part. Emotions drive a saiyans power and human emotion really brings it out.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 am

We really can't say for sure since we haven't seen much of other races apart from mostly Saiyans and very few Namekians, but I'd say the fact that Krillin, who got his potential unlocked by the Namekian Elder, is still apparently the strongest Earthling despite the guy not training half as much as say, Tenshinhan, might lean towards the interpretation that the Humans do have greater potential than most other races, perhaps even Saiyans, and maybe just don't have the equipment to train and harness it.

For context, the Choshinsui said to bring out a person's potential only made Goku (a Saiyan) about as strong as King Piccolo, while Krillin had a battle power of over 10,000 according to the Ginyu Force. Sure, it's a plot point, but the foundation implying Earthling Potential > Saiyan Potential is there.
Alruneia wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:22 am It's been a while since I read that chapter, but if I recall what was said correctly, I think DBZ Macky and Noitsnothim are right. Gohan's claim was in response to Kefla asking him about transforming, so the "growing stronger as a human" thing would refer to him not transforming at all, since humans don't have transformations, and instead just training normally. (Ultimate isn't a transformation.)
Agreed about the Gohan probably not wanting anything to do with attaining more colorful Super Saiyan forms, but it does seem that DBS treats "Ultimate" as a transformation like the video games, with only a slight difference being the presence/absence of Gohan's bang in the Anime. It'd make little sense for Gohan to not use Super Saiyan in the ToP if he can stack it on top of "Ultimate" even if he doesn't want to when the Universe is at stake. Even Goku had mixed feelings about going SS God in the BoG Movie due to it not being his own power (at the time), yet he still went through the transformation.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 pm

I truly believe, the arc's premise started off well. Entering with Dai Kai, Galactic Patrol and Merus. I just thought the body [in between] work was sluggish, stalling the plot at times. Now we are at the climax, Toyotaro can make or break this saga with this.

I'm rooting for Toyotaro, for the sake of Dragonball. I really want Moro to succeed.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 09, 2020 4:59 pm

Miracles wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 pmNow we are at the climax, Toyotaro can make or break this saga with this.
If he pulls a RF or Zamasu ending, then what little support he has will be out the window.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun May 10, 2020 3:05 am

So what is the symbol on Moro's belt supposed to mean?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:23 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:05 am So what is the symbol on Moro's belt supposed to mean?
There you go.
https://youtu.be/Wcp7-9mWSIY

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 11, 2020 5:57 am

Miracles wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 pm I truly believe, the arc's premise started off well. Entering with Dai Kai, Galactic Patrol and Merus. I just thought the body [in between] work was sluggish, stalling the plot at times. Now we are at the climax, Toyotaro can make or break this saga with this.

I'm rooting for Toyotaro, for the sake of Dragonball. I really want Moro to succeed.
It is already broken a "good" ending is not gonna make up for the way this arc fizzed out. The middle part is the most important it is the meat of the story.

This was his audition and in my opinion he has already failed miserably. No outline from Toriyama, no comparisons with Toei and somehow we have an arc with more padding than the Goku vs Freeza!