"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:51 am

Exline wrote:
Um.. Am I the only one a bit concerned about this?
Toriyama aiding Toyotaro by providing drawings for the Super manga when it's mostly supposed to be drawn by Toyotaro?

Concerned about getting new Toriyama material or corrections ? Never
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:13 am

prince212 wrote:
Exline wrote:
Toriyama aiding Toyotaro by providing drawings for the Super manga when it's mostly supposed to be drawn by Toyotaro?

Concerned about getting new Toriyama material or corrections ? Never
I agree. Toriyama correcting him can only help him to improve on his skills. I'm glad that Toriyama is more involved in the process than just sending bullet points.
Get Fucked, C_unt

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:20 am

So Jiren's well defined ass-cheeks was all Toriyama. It makes me wonder how Kale and Kefla are going to look in the manga, as I have never seen Toyo or Tori draw a muscular female character

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:33 am

emperior wrote:
Exline wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I like how Toriyama is editing Toyotaro's work when he needs to.

Seems like Toriyama is holding Toyotaro's hand a bit too close to his. I thought he was supposed to be teaching Toyotaro, turning him into successor; a protege.

How is Toyotaro going to get better if Toriyama keeps assisting him with the Manga by drawing for him? Don't mean to bring this up again, but maybe this is why Toyotaro traces. Toriyama seems to be giving him a slap on the wrist and supposedly helps him out with the manga he didn't want to draw.

It's like Toriyama is the parent spoiling his son, Toyotaro, and letting him get away with everything, such as tracing over his panels in the OG Dragon Ball (which I had seen as homages, but not anymore after this scandal.)
Toriyama only corrected a few drawings, and the corrections have been super useful for Toyotaro to use as references. I believe your concerns aren't valid at all and that you are overblowing the whole thing, and on the contrary Toriyama is actually teaching Toyotaro this way. The more Toyotaro's style gets closer to Toriyama's, the better he will get. For Toyotaro to be truly considered a Toriyama's successor though, he has to first improve his anatomy and storyboards and stop with the whole tracing/homages things. He also has to get faster because he is struggling a lot lately with a monthly manga.
That is a good point to make.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Toyotaro should of been smart and asked Toriyama what kind of pose should Goku portray for V-Jump. Instead of using Captain America's stance. :lol:

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 am

Miracles wrote:Toyotaro should of been smart and asked Toriyama what kind of pose should Goku portray for V-Jump. Instead of using Captain America's stance. :lol:
Wasting Toriyama's time on a promo cover is probably something he wasn't keen to do.

Promo art is dime a dozen fare.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:53 am

What's does everyone think is the direction for Goku here?
I think the Genki Dama option is out the table(hopefully). Taking into account Goku's knowledge of Ultra Instinct and how he needs it to defeat Jiren, being pushed to his limits and getting it also seems remote.
Maybe in the fight with Kefla he evolves and tests it?

I'm very curious about the meaty plot points of this arc. Also Muten Roshi, may his storyline be as good as it was in the anime. The justification for his return to action was top notch and necessary. Don't care if he gets wins or not, although it would be a plus if they are well written.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 pm

LightBing wrote:What's does everyone think is the direction for Goku here?
I think the Genki Dama option is out the table(hopefully). Taking into account Goku's knowledge of Ultra Instinct and how he needs it to defeat Jiren, being pushed to his limits and getting it also seems remote.
Maybe in the fight with Kefla he evolves and tests it?

I'm very curious about the meaty plot points of this arc. Also Muten Roshi, may his storyline be as good as it was in the anime. The justification for his return to action was top notch and necessary. Don't care if he gets wins or not, although it would be a plus if they are well written.
I'm also interested how UI will be introduced during the tournament as well. I don't think the Kefla fight will happen at all.
Majinwarman

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:03 pm

majinwarman wrote: I'm also interested how UI will be introduced during the tournament as well. I don't think the Kefla fight will happen at all.
Tell me why would Toyotaro waste such an huge fight? Seriously, it would be like purposefully trying to make the manga more boring and lame.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

TKA wrote:Wasting Toriyama's time on a promo cover is probably something he wasn't keen to do.

Promo art is dime a dozen fare.
True. Toyotaro would of been better off using one of Toriyama's old ones then.
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Tell me why would Toyotaro waste such an huge fight? Seriously, it would be like purposefully trying to make the manga more boring and lame.
:lol:

If Kefla is not in the outline Toyotaro doesn't have to follow it. The main fights can be much better than the anime's.
Like Toppo vs Vegeta. That was hot garbage and then some. He could also do better than giving Vegeta a last minute buff smurf mode with sparkles.
Last edited by Miracles on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I'm also interested how UI will be introduced during the tournament as well. I don't think the Kefla fight will happen at all.
Tell me why would Toyotaro waste such an huge fight? Seriously, it would be like purposefully trying to make the manga more boring and lame.
I don't think it was in Toriyama's outline so I think it will be skipped.
Majinwarman

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
I don't think it was in Toriyama's outline so I think it will be skipped.
It seems too big of a fight to be skipped and those 2 didn't have an impact until they fused so without it what's the point of even having them in the manga ? I do think the fight will be handled very differently though.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:03 pm

LightBing wrote: I think the Genki Dama option is out the table(hopefully).
That happened in the anime?

If so, that's remarkably stupid. They're in another dimension. The only place he could get genki from is the arena, and I highly doubt the 50 or so people there could generate enough genki to make a spirit bomb strong enough to kill even Saiyan Saga Vegeta.

But knowing the anime, I bet the spirit bomb was huge for some reason.
Vegeta_Sama wrote: Tell me why would Toyotaro waste such an huge fight? Seriously, it would be like purposefully trying to make the manga more boring and lame.
Pointless fights add nothing to a story but page count. If he skips it, I will not care.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:13 pm

TKA wrote: Pointless fights add nothing to a story but page count. If he skips it, I will not care.
Literally couldn't agree more. Kefla was pure fanservice, did nothing to progress the bond between Caulifla and Kale any more than it had already progressed, did nothing for the story, and did nothing for Goku's Ultra Instinct progression that he couldn't have accomplished in another fight (such as with Jiren, for example).

I didn't even personally dislike their battle, and I think that Toyotaro has the potential to make it as fun as the anime's version if he decides to include it, but it's not necessary at all. I wouldn't lose any sleep over its exclusion.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Yeap the whole Goku acting as a teacher with the saiyan girls will be nice if won’t happen in the manga .
I can take some dyspo vs the saiyan girls.
Btw the back cover of vol.6 is out there , and it’s interesting.. a planet with 2 moons ? I like it
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:55 pm

prince212 wrote:Yeap the whole Goku acting as a teacher with the saiyan girls will be nice if won’t happen in the manga .
I can take some dyspo vs the saiyan girls.
Btw the back cover of vol.6 is out there , and it’s interesting.. a planet with 2 moons ? I like it
it is 3 moons :D

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Yay, I was hoping someone would post a high rez version of this image I've seen floating around today. Thanks for this.

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I love how uncomfortable Piccolo and Tenshinhan look in those uniforms and like to think it's a little call back to the Cell when they specifically said they had no interest in wearing the same clothes the saiyans and Freeza's army wore. And it looks like Piccolo is still suborn and wears only half of it. :lol:

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:17 pm

That Gohan looks painfully close to Yamcha
Get Fucked, C_unt

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Anyone has any info who draws the DBZ Dokkan Battle Cards?
Also is the Vegeta kick pose in the recent chapter 36 Referenced by this Vegeta DBZ Dokkan battle card or is it just similar?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Michsi wrote:I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I love how uncomfortable Piccolo and Tenshinhan look in those uniforms
Of course it's intentional. They both expressed no desire to wear those things in the Cell Arc. lol
Liquir wrote:Anyone has any info who draws the DBZ Dokkan Battle Cards?
Also is the Vegeta kick pose in the recent chapter 36 Referenced by this Vegeta DBZ Dokkan battle card or is it just similar?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Is the implication here that Toyotaro traced that? Because they're clearly very different. They aren't even in the same angle.

As for who draws the cards: mostly unnamed artists.