"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:19 pm

TKA wrote:2. The "shadow dragons" are bad because the idea of the dragonballs, the saviors of our heroes, turning out to be bad is... inherently awful. The dragonballs were always used in-series to solve problems that couldn't otherwise be fixed. There is no lesson to be learned from the dragonballs being evil because the heroes used them for good. This was conceptually flawed. There are several ways to "fix" this, but none I want to get into; I'm against that kind of thing.
Now this is just being disingenuous at best and hypocritical at worst. The idea behind the Shadow Dragons ties to a line from the Elder Kaioshin in the final arc of the series; it's a direct continuation of where the series left off. Whether it's executed well or not I would rather not get into, but to call it "inherently awful" showcases a surprising lack of self-awareness coming from the same person who would argue to the death how Toyotaro picking up on old concepts from the original series and developing them in a new and unique way (like Trunks having healing powers, for instance) is good.

I don't see how you expect anyone to take your arguments seriously when it seems physically impossible for you to grant Toei's writers one positive compared to Toriyama/Toyotaro/the Super manga.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:22 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:I thought of this too put it seems like he’s explaining something different

Right now, Toei gives Toriyama an idea but not really a main story with main plot points. And what Toriyama does is take the concept and either expand upon it by creating a whole plot or by rewriting the whole concept into something else and making a plot of that.

SaiyanGod is saying that Toei should create the concept and plot for and then give it to Toriyama for him to expand upon by doing stuff like, for example, creating main events in the plot (and not rewriting they whole concept and plot givin to him like he did with B.o.G).
That sounds like it doesn't give Toriyama a whole lot to do aside from character designs. If you just want Toriyama to draw things and nod his head, we'll just end up with a prettier GT. I am absolutely not of the camp that thinks GT had good ideas executed poorly. I think GT has average-to-poor ideas executed in the most dull way possible. Some seem to have an issue with Toriyama's low-stakes inconsequential stories, but if that's all we got from the rest of Super, I'd be fine with that. At least it would be likely to retain the charm and humor that makes Dragon Ball appealing to me in the first place.

Toyotaro - on the other hand - seems much more capable of (and interested in) replicating Toriyama's style, so if they're tag-teaming this thing like Toyo's blurb suggests, I think they might hit a sweet spot.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:11 pm

The manga moving ahead with Toriyama alongside Toyotaro is a really good idea. It will also give TOEI a foundation to stand on when they start DBS. It'll be like the old days.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:28 pm

Miracles wrote:The manga moving ahead with Toriyama alongside Toyotaro is a really good idea. It will also give TOEI a foundation to stand on when they start DBS. It'll be like the old days.
The manga won't stay ahead for long if it stays monthly. It was also ahead during the Champa arc and the anime eventually caught up.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Miracles wrote:The manga moving ahead with Toriyama alongside Toyotaro is a really good idea. It will also give TOEI a foundation to stand on when they start DBS. It'll be like the old days.
Well , most of the anime are done being manga adaptations , so instead of saying it’s a good idea , I’ll say that anime being ahead was a bad idea , at least a weekly anime without strong foundation. Seasonal 24 episodes could be possible without a manga , but an anime running weekend for years it’s way harder . It wasn’t bad , but I’m sure this way will be better for all the parts involved. One piece , my hero academy , AoT etc .. work like that and it’s totally fine , not old days style at all , the formula keeps on working .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:55 pm

TKA wrote:
PFM18 wrote:You explain the creative process as if he had claimed anything about how the creative process is handled right now, when he was just saying what he would prefer.
*snip*
Either you didn't read his post or you don't actually understand the current creative process yourself.

Toriyama comes up with the outline/main idea(s) for the arc(s) and he takes suggestions from Toei/Toriyama and approves them, denies them, and/or he comes up with material to support any idea that he likes out of Toei/Toyo.(17 winning, Caulifla's existence, Vegetto, etc.)

What he is suggesting is that we have Toei come up with the main ideas/outline for the arc and have Toriyama flesh out the plot of it.

So no, what he is suggesting is NOT what we got.
Doctor. wrote:
The manga won't stay ahead for long if it stays monthly. It was also ahead during the Champa arc and the anime eventually caught up.
But the extent to which the manga will be ahead will be much different. Depending on if we get a Broly retelling, the manga could be well into being 2 arcs ahead. Where as before, the manga was just one arc ahead of the anime, as the anime started RoF, the manga started the U6 arc.
Last edited by PFM18 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:08 pm

Doctor. wrote:
This is true. I totally forgot about that.
prince212 wrote:
Well , most of the anime are done being manga adaptations , so instead of saying it’s a good idea , I’ll say that anime being ahead was a bad idea , at least a weekly anime without strong foundation. Seasonal 24 episodes could be possible without a manga , but an anime running weekend for years it’s way harder . It wasn’t bad , but I’m sure this way will be better for all the parts involved. One piece , my hero academy , AoT etc .. work like that and it’s totally fine , not old days style at all , the formula keeps on working .
Yeah, anime's being an adaptation to manga's is still going on in general. In DB Super we haven't had it in a while.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Miracles wrote:Yeah, anime's being an adaptation to manga's is still going on in general. In DB Super we haven't had it in a while.
Thank God. I do not want the anime to ever just become an adaptation of the manga for so many reasons.

Is the manga getting an equivalent to whatever we are getting tomorrow with that one hour anime special?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm

I feel like anyone who wants the TV series to start following the manga is either way more tolerant than me, or seriously forgetting just how much of a pain in the ass Z's pacing was. SSJ Goku vs. Freeza is boring as fuck in the anime, filler sagas like "fake Namek" are incredibly dumb, and the Buu saga is nearly unbearable. Regardless of whether you think the manga or the anime are written better, it is an absolute blessing that the series is no longer tied to the schedule of Shonen Jump manga production. Seeing the phrase "One Piece works like that and it's totally fine" here makes me seriously wonder if my priorities in actually enjoying a shonen battle anime are totally different from anyone else.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Shaddy wrote:I feel like anyone who wants the TV series to start following the manga is either way more tolerant than me, or seriously forgetting just how much of a pain in the ass Z's pacing was. SSJ Goku vs. Freeza is boring as fuck in the anime, filler sagas like "fake Namek" are incredibly dumb, and the Buu saga is nearly unbearable. Regardless of whether you think the manga or the anime are written better, it is an absolute blessing that the series is no longer tied to the schedule of Shonen Jump manga production. Seeing the phrase "One Piece works like that and it's totally fine" here makes me seriously wonder if my priorities in actually enjoying a shonen battle anime are totally different from anyone else.
Well it depends, Some filler was a plus to DB. The Vegetto vs Buu, Goku vs Majin Vegeta and etc anime only scenes were even better than the manga's fight scenes to me.
Yeah, TOEI's had abysmal filler in DB but they also had some good ones that complimented the manga. It's kind of a double edged sword.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Super already has abysmal 'filler' presumably to give Toriyama time to work on the next concept. I think when people want the anime to follow the manga, they're hoping they stick to just adapting the manga's material and not stretch things out or add additional arcs or it'd be no different than what we currently have.

But that's an unrealistic goal, since it would make the anime seasonal and not be constantly in the spotlight. The gaps between arcs would be pretty big, and interest could die down. I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what Toei want for the anime.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:02 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:Yeah, anime's being an adaptation to manga's is still going on in general. In DB Super we haven't had it in a while.
Thank God. I do not want the anime to ever just become an adaptation of the manga for so many reasons.

Is the manga getting an equivalent to whatever we are getting tomorrow with that one hour anime special?
I don't know about the one hour special so I can't answer.
However, I think when the anime returns it will be using the manga as a basis for that Galactic Patrol arc until it surpasses it.
Still not sure if TOEI will adapt the Broly movie if and when it returns. Hopefully we get something from Jump Festa on this matter.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Saiga wrote:Super already has abysmal 'filler' presumably to give Toriyama time to work on the next concept.
The filler in Super is usually extremely brief, things like the Potafu arc, and the Hit rematch, are a couple episodes at max. It is nothing like what we saw in Z where we have filler scenes, or scenes in the manga horrendously dragged out for the sake of having it fall behind.
I think when people want the anime to follow the manga, they're hoping they stick to just adapting the manga's material and not stretch things out or add additional arcs or it'd be no different than what we currently have.
I for one, don't want the anime to become an adaptation of the manga for the simple fact that the anime has better writing and they wouldn't get a chance to improve the story if they are literally just animating Toyotaro/Toriyama's version. If this happens, we'll have things like Kaioshin Trunks, Hakai Goku, Pseudo-UI Roshi, and "I'm developing my human side and I'm super strong now" Gohan running around. And to me, that is not exactly ideal. Then there's what has already been mentioned with the pacing of the anime being forced to slow almost to a halt to accommodate becoming an adaptation of the manga.

And to a lesser extent I want to just have two takes on the same outline for the sake of diversity.
However, I think when the anime returns it will be using the manga as a basis for that Galactic Patrol arc until it surpasses it.
I don't see any reason to believe that'll happen and I don't want that to happen either.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:23 pm

PFM18 wrote:Toriyama comes up with the outline/main idea(s) for the arc(s) and he takes suggestions from Toei/Toriyama and approves them, denies them, and/or he comes up with material to support any idea that he likes out of Toei/Toyo.(17 winning, Caulifla's existence, Vegetto, etc.)

So no, what he is suggesting is NOT what we got.
You have the order mixed up. It's not as if Toriyama came up with the Zamasu story and was like "hmm...this is missing something...any ideas, Toei?" "Why not Trunks?" "Brilliant!" If Toriyama had a ton of story ideas in the back of his head, he wouldn't have ended the manga decades ago. Instead, Toei proposes a bunch of ideas to Toriyama, and if Toriyama is inspired, he runs with it. Toei approached him with Trunks and Broly specifically. None of the surrounding story existed before that, aside from the Minus bits that were tossed into the Broly film.

As for your examples, I don't know what you're getting at. Caulifla was Toriyama after Toei came up with Kale. Vegetto was Toei. I've never read anything that said where the idea of No. 17 winning came from.
PFM18 wrote:But the extent to which the manga will be ahead will be much different. Depending on if we get a Broly retelling, the manga could be well into being 2 arcs ahead. Where as before, the manga was just one arc ahead of the anime, as the anime started RoF, the manga started the U6 arc.
Right. Also, the outline doesn't exist without Toyotaro's input. If Toei does cover a vague outline rather than the manga (which they wouldn't if the manga was sufficiently ahead), it would still be Toyotaro's ideas on screen.
PFM18 wrote:Is the manga getting an equivalent to whatever we are getting tomorrow with that one hour anime special?
The anime special is focusing on the Broly film. It does not appear to contain additional new content.
Shaddy wrote:I feel like anyone who wants the TV series to start following the manga is either way more tolerant than me, or seriously forgetting just how much of a pain in the ass Z's pacing was. SSJ Goku vs. Freeza is boring as fuck in the anime, filler sagas like "fake Namek" are incredibly dumb, and the Buu saga is nearly unbearable. Regardless of whether you think the manga or the anime are written better, it is an absolute blessing that the series is no longer tied to the schedule of Shonen Jump manga production. Seeing the phrase "One Piece works like that and it's totally fine" here makes me seriously wonder if my priorities in actually enjoying a shonen battle anime are totally different from anyone else.
I agree that DBZ is padded to hell, but it's still far preferable to Toei-original content. If they were actually concerned with putting out the best product possible (which, let's face it, they're not), they wouldn't rush to starting up the anime again. The problem you describe occurs when the anime is stalling for time because its running too close to the manga it's adapting. If Toei did anime seasons instead (like with My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, etc...all on-going manga with excellent adaptations), we might actually be looking at something solid. Even if that doesn't happen, an adaptation with some filler is preferable to something as ridiculously disjointed with so little pre-production planning as the Super anime up until this point.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:27 am

I'm almost sure, Merus is Toyotaro's character. But until now I thought the Goat was designed by Toriyama, however I saw this picture again and I see some similarity.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:12 am

Doctor. wrote:
TKA wrote:2. The "shadow dragons" are bad because the idea of the dragonballs, the saviors of our heroes, turning out to be bad is... inherently awful. The dragonballs were always used in-series to solve problems that couldn't otherwise be fixed. There is no lesson to be learned from the dragonballs being evil because the heroes used them for good. This was conceptually flawed. There are several ways to "fix" this, but none I want to get into; I'm against that kind of thing.
Now this is just being disingenuous at best and hypocritical at worst. The idea behind the Shadow Dragons ties to a line from the Elder Kaioshin in the final arc of the series; it's a direct continuation of where the series left off. Whether it's executed well or not I would rather not get into, but to call it "inherently awful" showcases a surprising lack of self-awareness coming from the same person who would argue to the death how Toyotaro picking up on old concepts from the original series and developing them in a new and unique way (like Trunks having healing powers, for instance) is good.

I don't see how you expect anyone to take your arguments seriously when it seems physically impossible for you to grant Toei's writers one positive compared to Toriyama/Toyotaro/the Super manga.
I’ve seen it all now... One of the best ideas In GT was ending it with the Shadow Dragons, and now someone is saying it’s terrible. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but goodness gracious some people are reaching.

Throughout the entire series, they have relied too heavily on the Dragon Balls. For every positive, there is a negative. Having any wish granted with out any consequences whatsoever seems a little fishy. It’s only fitting that the final boss of the series be the very thing they were dependent on their entire lives on earth. To say this is an awful concept is ridiculous. It’s hard to take guys who make such baseless claims seriously.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 am

I honestly don't think the anime, which is now the big promoter of the franchise, is going to give away any major reveals (like the 'ending of an arc') concerning it's 'own continuity' to the manga.
We are not going back to the good old days when the manga does everything first and later on it's all adapted into the anime.
If the manga is allowed more freedom now it's to do his own story or what one might call 'canon-like filler' within its continuity.
Basically this is just stuff to keep us buzzy till the anime returns. The anime will catch up very soon to the manga and/or start its own arc that the manga (still) hasn't covered when it returns.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:41 pm

To say GT's story is inherently awful is outright inherently dishonest and biased.

GT's story is more interesting, thoughtful, and sensible than Super's, both anime and manga. It also follows more closely to the themes approached in DB/Z.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:43 pm

TheOne wrote: I’ve seen it all now... One of the best ideas In GT was ending it with the Shadow Dragons, and now someone is saying it’s terrible. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but goodness gracious some people are reaching.

Throughout the entire series, they have relied too heavily on the Dragon Balls.
They don't rely too heavily on the dragonballs. The dragonballs have always been used when the scenario is "use the dragonballs or fucking die". That's not a morality test. A morality test is:

"You get a million dollars when you push this button, but every time you push this button a random person somewhere in the world that you don't know dies. Do you push the button?"

"There's a runaway train. You can divert the train down one of two paths. On one path, a track that is no longer used, is one stranger minding his own business. On the path the train is currently on are five strangers. Do you save the 5 careless people by killing the 1 responsible person, or do you let nature run its course?"

Those are moral dilemmas. The "Shadow Dragons" pretend to be a moral dilemma. If the same "Shadow Dragon" logic was to be applied to the aforementioned scenarios, it'd be:

"You get a million dollars when you push this button, but the minute you push it you die. Do you push the button?" Not much of a choice there.

"There's a train. There's someone by the track. You can push that person onto the track so the train runs them over... or you can not do that. Do you... do that?"

The "Shadow Dragons" are conceptually bad because there was no choice but to use the dragonballs in the series. If they didn't use the balls, they'd have been annihilated. There is no dilemma when the choice is "live or die"; living is always the right choice, especially when it's literally billions of lives on the line as is the case in Dragonball.

The idea of the dragonballs being the bad guys is quite attractive and I found myself agreeing that it was a good idea to use them many years ago, but then I realized how silly the message is. "Hey, don't use this thing to solve your life or death problems even though there is no other way to solve those problems."

The way GT used the "shadow dragons" was less like the consequences of the heroes' actions and more like just another new villain. Well news flash, the "Z-warriors/Dragon Team/whatever other dumb branding name they come up with" have dealt with new villains since the start of the series.
Doctor. wrote:The idea behind the Shadow Dragons ties to a line from the Elder Kaioshin in the final arc of the series; it's a direct continuation of where the series left off.
Yes, exactly the thing I said earlier:
It's essentially as superfluous as a Disney Star Wars movie (more specifically, Rogue One or Solo): a story made from an innocuous detail and doesn't need to be told
Turning one line that everyone ignored because it was stupid into a series arc.

And how fucking villainous does it make Elder Kai that he never once told them "Hey, using the dragonballs will release the 'shadow dragons' and they're stronger than Buu, so maybe stop using them for a while, huh?"

It's a garbage twist that resulted in a garbage arc. It was bad at the conception level. Fixes exist, but I don't care to go into fan fiction.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
TKA wrote:
It's kind of hilarious (but also sad) that you're saying this on a site like Kanzenshuu, where there's so much evidence in the translations section explaining what the process is.

Toei puts out a plot idea, and then Toriyama works his magic on it. Toei asked for Future Trunks to come back, so Toriyama created an arc that justified that. Toei saw Broly was popular, so Toriyama justified his existence and made him make sense.

I'd be more interested in Toriyama-original arcs with absolutely no input from Toei going forward, tbh. This is an okay alternative, however. That is, Toyotaro coming up with an arc and having Toriyama editing it and making changes where necessary. At the very least, it's a nice change of pace.
batistabus wrote: That has been the production process for Super since Battle of Gods. The whole idea for that film was in place before Toriyama rewrote the entire thing, but he wholesale utilized their ideas of a God of Destruction and Super Saiyan God. The return of Trunks, Broly, and many elements of the ToP were ideas presented by Toei. There are interviews of Toei staff describing this process of pitching ideas to Toriyama until he finds one that he wants to work with.
I thought of this too put it seems like he’s explaining something different

Right now, Toei gives Toriyama an idea but not really a main story with main plot points. And what Toriyama does is take the concept and either expand upon it by creating a whole plot or by rewriting the whole concept into something else and making a plot of that.

SaiyanGod is saying that Toei should create the concept and plot for and then give it to Toriyama for him to expand upon by doing stuff like, for example, creating main events in the plot (and not rewriting they whole concept and plot givin to him like he did with B.o.G).

1. An idea or general plot should arise within a DB Room. Everyone within the franchise can launch new ideas, but the marketeers have an important role to play. They (TOEI, Bandai ...) as well as the intellectual stakeholders (Toriyama, Shueisha ...) have to validate the idea for its execution.

2. If there is concent within this "DB Room": one or two writers max should be appointed to write a pretty detailed synopsis of a complete arc, while leaving some artistic freedom for TOEI to execute the plot. This could be done by Toriyama, but another writer who has a feel for the 'Dragonworld' could be appointed to do the task as well.

3. The complete story goes back to Toriyama, who does final editing and gives his concent.

4. TOEI executes the arc.
Exactly my thoughts
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"