"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Exline » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 pm

TKA wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:stuff
The quote in your sig is not something I've ever said.
(Oh nooooo :lol: )
Bergamo wrote:
TKA wrote:
TysonWine wrote:This is the solution.
It is a solution to an imaginary problem. The idea that the tournament is filled with weaklings comes from knowledge of the anime, and is predicated on nothing in the manga. This isn't an RPG; the characters don't have level markers and heathbars hovering over their heads. How strong anyone is depends on the plot, and right now the plot says everyone (not "most" or "some") is holding back.

I don't know why this discussion is still going on when the only good argument against the logic in people holding back is that in the original manga, stronger characters could oneshot weaker characters. That's the only legitimate argument... and it is weak as hell since the manga already showed that isn't a viable strategy as of last issue. That was one of the myriad purposes of the Frost-Frieza chapter.

Nobody has yet to make a good counter-argument to this, and one shouldn't even be entertained since it goes into fanfiction territory rather than as a valid narrative critique. "X should do Y" when we know Y isn't viable is a ridiculous argument and a waste of time.
More on this. Toriyama isn't God, and the original manga isn't the Bible. You will never enjoy Super if viewed through the lens of, "Well it's not as good as the original," because it is at some points. Just because something happened in the original manga doesn't make it right or law.
That's pretty interesting. I didn't realize until now that is how I've been viewing some of Super.

But it is a sequel nonetheless. It should still hold up to what the original manga has done. (Not vouching for one-shotting weaklings, but for other things the original manga had established)
Last edited by Exline on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Super has done nothing worth noting better than the original series. It is complete garbage at its worst and a decent time-killer at best. Toriyama's manga was nowhere near flawless, but asking a sequel to follow the same rules as its predecessor isn't much to ask, because consistency is a standard that people wanted even in the original series.

I don't even understand why this discussion has kept going when the only person arguing (me) has said a long time ago that it isn't a big deal and that it doesn't detract much from the overall experience outside of impacting the reader with a feeling that the author lacks creativity. You people are the ones blowing this out of proportion.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm just going to say it.

Goku Black saga>Buu saga

Edit: I should probably explain a bit. Buu is just a Cell rip off. He has absorption and regeneration as well as a bland personality. Also, 2 types of fusion introduced in the same arc? You can reuse plot points, you know.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Bergamo wrote:I'm just going to say it.

Goku Black saga>Buu saga

Edit: I should probably explain a bit. Buu is just a Cell rip off. He has absorption and regeneration as well as a bland personality. Also, 2 types of fusion introduced in the same arc? You can reuse plot points, you know.
Boo's absorption works differently than Cell's. Boo changes his personality, Cell merely gets stronger. This isn't a good point; it's like saying Black is just a Ginyu rip-off because they both switch bodies with Goku.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Doctor. wrote:

Goku Black saga>Buu saga

Boo's absorption works differently than Cell's. Boo changes his personality, Cell merely gets stronger. This isn't a good point; it's like saying Black is just a Ginyu rip-off because they both switch bodies with Goku.
Gohan realizes his potential and then gets over confident. Sounds familiar. What even was the first half of the arc? A kids tournament. An actual tournament, but nobody actually fights. A spaceship full of really generic monsters.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Found the chapter to be pretty meh. Nothing offensive by any means nor would I call it terrible, but it's just been boring. Art was wonky at times as well. I did the Time Shift, and Jiren baiting Hit but the actual fighting was pretty lackluster to me and so I wasn't all that invested in it.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Goku Black saga>Buu saga

Edit: I should probably explain a bit. Buu is just a cell rip off, he has absorption and regeneration, as well as a bland personality. Also, 2 types of fusion introduced in the same arc? You can reuse plot points, you know.
I'm not much of a fan of the Later Half of the Buu Arc, but it started off extremely well. However, it does pale in comparison to the Future Trunks Saga in terms of actual storytelling.

But when it comes to character development and usage, Super (Anime and Manga Sagas) fail to make great use of the cast as well as DB and DBZ did.

And I never saw Buu as a rip off. He's more original than Cell if you ask me.
(Perfect) Cell seems like another Frieza except with the personality of the Saiyans mixed in.

Majin Buu (in the beginning of the arc) was a new approach to the major villains in DBZ. We got someone incredibly goofy and I was enjoying that. It was an erratic child with such immense power. It's not your typical villain and I appreciate Majin Buu for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Goku Black saga>Buu saga

Gohan realizes his potential and then gets over confident. Sounds familiar. What even was the first half of the arc? A kids tournament. An actual tournament, but nobody actually fights. A spaceship full of really generic monsters.
Gohan never got overconfident. He completed his arc by taking on the mantle of savior and telling Boo he'll kill him (which is a stark contrast to how he acted in the Cell arc when confronted with a similar situation). People think he got 'overconfident' because of anime filler dragging out the fight and then Super doubling down on this silly fan headcanon. You can complain that Gohan gets all this spotlight only for Goku to come in and steal the show, and I'd say that's valid, but Gohan never got overconfident.

I feel like you're just making a list of plot points rather than explaining why they're bad. What was wrong with the tournament? Or Babidi's spaceship?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:22 pm

I’m tired of your posts talking about old dragon ball .
This is dragon ball super manga thread , you guys should create another post for that :crazy:
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 pm

After reading the leaked chapter, I have to say
that I'm extremely disappointed this month. Hit was treated worse in the chapter than what the anime did for his elimination. I hope next month is better.
Last edited by majinwarman on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:29 pm

You never knew what was going to happen next in the Buu Saga, but it's to the arcs detriment. Buu becomes Super Buu after going through the most unwarranted transformations in the series, and then he just kind of meanders throughout the arc. The arc doesn't really warm up until Kid Buu, and by then it's too late.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:46 pm

majinwarman wrote:After reading the leaked chapter, I have to say
that I'm extremely disappointed this month. Hit was treated worse in the chapter than what the anime did for his elimination. I hope next month is better.
What.

How? In the anime Jiren just did his typical "my power is maximum" shit and stomped Hit (Jiren even surpasses time!!!1!!111!!!eleven!!!). Here, its not inconceivable that Hit and Goku working together could've taken him out. Here, Jiren beat Hit by sucker punching him after playing possum. Here, Hit displayed character growth and fought the strongest guy, not his b-league friends.

This is really cut and dry. Maybe you didn't like how things unfolded, but by no stretch of the imagination did the anime treat Hit better.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:49 pm

prince212 wrote:I’m tired of your posts talking about old dragon ball .
This is dragon ball super manga thread , you guys should create another post for that :crazy:
Gomen.. Gomen.. (*Insert Shida Emoji*)

Bring up a new topic for us to discuss then!! :thumbup:

I'm getting tired of talking about Z anyways.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:51 pm

I think chapter 35 felt like part 1 of a 2 part segment like 31 and 32. It didn't really have any closure or allude to what may happen next. I'm not even sure if Jiren and Goku are still fighting.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:05 pm

TKA wrote: I don't know why this discussion is still going on when the only good argument against the logic in people holding back is that in the original manga, stronger characters could oneshot weaker characters. That's the only legitimate argument... and it is weak as hell since the manga already showed that isn't a viable strategy as of last issue. That was one of the myriad purposes of the Frost-Frieza chapter.
I don't know why it's still going either, honestly. Being fixated on the original manga's "one shot" bullshit completely ignores the importance of the stamina preservation strategy and why that contributes to the feeling of a battle royale by throwing virtually everyone into an unknown situation. Hit getting eliminated by Jiren so soon wasn't good only because they were both strong fighters, and pairing everyone with a perfectly matched opponent isn't even a "creative" alternative because it's so weirdly arbitrary and way too neatly organized for a turbulent setting like this. No, the reason it's good is precisely because such an unfortunate match-up wasn't expected to happen this soon to begin with for Universe 6's ace.

What the manga is doing right now is pretty much entirely in line with its premise, and aside from a few personal gripes, I'm totally on board with it myself.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Exline wrote:
prince212 wrote:I’m tired of your posts talking about old dragon ball .
Gomen.. Gomen.. (*Insert Shida Emoji*)

Bring up a new topic for us to discuss then!! :thumbup:

I'm getting tired of talking about Z anyways.
I did bring things related , but nobody cares , it’s ok , I’m out of here
Have fun everybody :D
Bye
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:52 pm

TKA wrote:
What.

How? In the anime Jiren just did his typical "my power is maximum" shit and stomped Hit (Jiren even surpasses time!!!1!!111!!!eleven!!!). Here, its not inconceivable that Hit and Goku working together could've taken him out. Here, Jiren beat Hit by sucker punching him after playing possum. Here, Hit displayed character growth and fought the strongest guy, not his b-league friends.

This is really cut and dry. Maybe you didn't like how things unfolded, but by no stretch of the imagination did the anime treat Hit better.
You're delusional. Hit legitimately caught Jiren off guard and knocked Jiren to the edge of the ring in the anime using pure skill and strategy before Jiren overpowered him. Unlike in the magna, Jiren was just screwing around with him the entire time. So Jiren going to the edge was nothing more than a plan by Jiren , unlike the anime where Hit is the first guy to strike Jiren legitimately. Claiming otherwise is naive

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:24 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
TKA wrote:
What.

You're delusional. Hit legitimately caught Jiren off guard and knocked Jiren to the edge of the ring in the anime using pure skill and strategy before Jiren overpowered him. Unlike in the magna, Jiren was just screwing around with him the entire time. So Jiren going to the edge was nothing more than a plan by Jiren , unlike the anime where Hit is the first guy to strike Jiren legitimately. Claiming otherwise is naive
What was Hit going to do? Hold Jiren in a time cage the entire tournament?

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 am

Bergamo wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
TKA wrote:
What.

That was his plan yes. He was sacrificing himself for the team, and trusting the Saiyans to take out the rest so they win by numbers advantage
I did like that aspect of Hit. It showed how he's willing to do whatever it takes to do his job, and made U6 feel like they're a true team

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote: You're delusional. Hit legitimately caught Jiren off guard and knocked Jiren to the edge of the ring in the anime using pure skill and strategy before Jiren overpowered him. Unlike in the magna, Jiren was just screwing around with him the entire time. So Jiren going to the edge was nothing more than a plan by Jiren , unlike the anime where Hit is the first guy to strike Jiren legitimately. Claiming otherwise is naive
That was his plan yes. He was sacrificing himself for the team, and trusting the Saiyans to take out the rest so they win by numbers advantage
I did like that aspect of Hit. It showed how he's willing to do whatever it takes to do his job, and made U6 feel like they're a true team
That doesn't seem very practical, but it doesn't really matter, because Jiren is "stronger than time." I don't think the time cage is better than the time lag, especially after Jiren broke time.