If you had to choose one major character to die in Super...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

If you had to choose one major character to die in Super...

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:38 pm

...who would it be?

My vote goes to Whis. If he's killed, it'd create a big impression and we won't have to deal with his bullshit powers.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Flame Dragon
Regular

Re: If you had to choose one major character to die in Super

Post by Flame Dragon » Sat May 30, 2015 11:44 pm

Gohan.

He's become completely pointless to the story.
At least then he won't be Yamcha'd anymore.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Beerus.

Wouldn't miss him either. Utterly boring ass character. Fuck him to be honest. It'll be a great way to establish a new threat. Someone actually manage to beat Beerus. Can be a scary thought. Probably be emotional for no one but Whis.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Sat May 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Gohan...
Just put him down already... Poor bastard.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: It'll be a great way to establish a new threat. Someone actually manage to beat Beerus. Can be a scary thought. Probably be emotional for no one but Whis.
Can't the same be said for Whis' death, only there actually would be a threat since Beerus is weaker than him? >.>
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 30, 2015 11:53 pm

Only one? Then Vegetto. Not only do I get to have both Goku and Vegeta killed off, but in all seriousness it would be good if Vegetto was shown not to be completely invincible.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sat May 30, 2015 11:56 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:Gohan.

SSJ God Gogeta wrote:Gohan...
Thirded

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:34 am

sbk wrote:
Flame Dragon wrote:Gohan.

SSJ God Gogeta wrote:Gohan...
Thirded
Fourthed. May as well have on final swan song before going to obscurity. Never gonna learn. Never gonna change. May as well be a casualty.

If it were possible I'd suggest Goku so then Vegeta and the others can't count on him time and time again.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 31, 2015 12:43 am

Goku.

It would really rock the fanbase and create an immense amount of drama and intensity for the show.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku.

It would really rock the fanbase and create an immense amount of drama and intensity for the show.
I'm not debating but is this a permanent death? If not...I don't see how it's...create intensity and rocking the fan base

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun May 31, 2015 1:08 am

Yeah. Permanent death. Only not in the form of being killed twice. More like, hypothetically, the dragon balls are destroyed or they don't work because the character died in another universe.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun May 31, 2015 3:47 am

I suppose Gohan. He's become Yamcha'd and it never should have happened to him.

The character was never the same after the Cell Saga. They kinda ruined him though more and more as time went on.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun May 31, 2015 4:06 am

Vegeta. Because it would be unexpected.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun May 31, 2015 5:59 am

How major does a character have to be out of interest? Who counts as a main character outside Goku, Vegeta and Gohan?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 31, 2015 6:14 am

Rule of thumb, it's best to kill a character if people care about them and it will affect the story, not simply because they are useless or aren't liked.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 31, 2015 7:38 am

Have we forgotten about the Earth Dragonballs, Namekian Dragonballs, and Whis' time travel powers? Wouldn't matter who dies, it will just be reset.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun May 31, 2015 11:06 am

Every Dragon Clan Namekian and Whis then.

Suddenly death means death.

I was going to say Shenron and Porunga alongside Whis but a new Namekian will just revive them.

For a likable character(outside Dende and Whis because of their revival skills)...maybe Beerus? Things would suddenly feel very dangerous if even Beerus is capable of being killed off, and the guy is likable enough.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun May 31, 2015 6:00 pm

Goku. He's just a ball and a chain in his current state for the entire franchise.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 31, 2015 6:14 pm

ABED wrote:Rule of thumb, it's best to kill a character if people care about them and it will affect the story, not simply because they are useless or aren't liked.
That's why I choose Goku. He's the heart and soul of Dragon Ball. He kicks the bucket for good, and the complexion of Dragon Ball changes forever. Whether it's good or bad.
TheGmGoken wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Goku.

I'm not debating but is this a permanent death? If not...I don't see how it's...create intensity and rocking the fan base
At least in Japan it would. It's not Dragon Ball without Goku to many Japanese fans of the franchise, and if he bites the dust for real, the shit will really hit the fan.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Sun May 31, 2015 11:59 pm

All of the Dragon Ball specials give leverage to the main characters of that film and give the backseat to the others. With that said, I do not think that Gohan's mistreatment in these past two films are indicative of something negative when you consider that he had insignificant connections to the antagonists. Freeza wanted revenge on Goku and Trunks, there was no reason that Gohan should not have been KO'd since he had minor relevance in regard to Freeza's goals. Vegeta only got to fight because he happened to have trained with Whis, an opportunity that Gohan probably missed out on for not being as strong as Vegeta who trains regularly as opposed to someone that has settled for a life of mediocrity.

I think that it is ludicrous to suggest that a major character should die just because they are not a major player on the battlefield anymore, if we are going by that logic than we are left with a minimal cast. This is a new series, I do not expect Gohan to be among the best of the fighters, however there is a chance that he could be as anything is possible. I know that most fans already know this, I just wanted to encourage people to think outside of killing off particular characters because they are unhappy with how they have been portrayed in the past. I believe that there is hope for Gohan, but his strength is dependent on whether or not the plot requires his character's presence.

Personally, I do not really know which major character I would want to die as it is often pointless when factoring in the Dragon Balls and Whis' time travel. Kill off Whis perhaps? :silent:
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."