Is Super Dragonball's last hope?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Is Super Dragonball's last hope?

Post by precita » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:52 pm

^ Nobody doubts the merchandize for Dragonball will continue for the end of time, just look at all the new videogames/toys and stuff they made between the end of GT and the beginning of Kai for example.

But as said Super really is the first new series in 18 years (if you don't count Kai), and that really is a huge noticeable gap in time without any new material outside of non-canon videogame stories. The way I see it they can never have a new TV series again but the merch/games/toys will always continue. So in a way if Super bombs or doesn't do much better than GT, it could very well be the last all new series for another 20 years.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Super Dragonball's last hope?

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:25 pm

precita wrote:But as said Super really is the first new series in 18 years (if you don't count Kai), and that really is a huge noticeable gap in time without any new material outside of non-canon videogame stories. The way I see it they can never have a new TV series again but the merch/games/toys will always continue. So in a way if Super bombs or doesn't do much better than GT, it could very well be the last all new series for another 20 years.
The other thing is that the manga is the main story product in Japan, constantly available and, I'd imagine, a rather evergreen seller, so they can continue to merchandise without worrying about new fans having access to the story.

That said, you still need a bigger push every once in a while, and I would be extremely surprised, as long as there's money to be made in new generations of Dragon Ball fans, if it never got another TV series, remake or otherwise. But I doubt such a thing would happen until the current target age range has been entirely cycled out, which would be a number of years.

The big, big difference moving forward and the gap between GT and Kai is that by the end of GT, the series had not proven itself to be cyclically popular -- its day could easily have passed. With a surge of interest in the early 2000s, I think it became evident that there's continued marketing potential both from nostalgic crowds and new fans; as long as that continues to hold true and interest doesn't plummet, we'll see new attempts to revitalize it every once in a while. Hell, even if things do plummet now, we'll probably see another attempt down the line since it happened at least once.