Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Glen300

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Glen300 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:23 am

AvatarReiko wrote:How can Base Gogeta be weaker than his fusees though? Him being weaker would be illogical and does not make any sense. Gogeta is literally Goku and Vegeta combined, so could not possibly be weaker than either one on their own. Am I missing something here?
Depends on how you are measuring Gogeta's strength.

if Base Gogeta = (Base Goku + Base Vegeta) than the argument from some is SSB Goku or Vegeta > (Base Goku + Base Vegeta).

However, its been established that Gogeta isn't simply Goku + Vegeta, but Goku + Vegeta and an unknown qualifier.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:03 pm

is there any evidence pointing towards Beerus being stronger than Jiren/Broly?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:12 pm

The narrative is the evidence that Beerus is the man.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:26 pm

Miracles wrote:The narrative is the evidence that Beerus is the man.
is it? AFAIH from others, Beerus was never implied to be above them i haven't seen the new movie or the final few eps of Super so idk.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:39 pm

shadd21 wrote:is there any evidence pointing towards Beerus being stronger than Jiren/Broly?
Literally none.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:11 pm

shadd21 wrote:is there any evidence pointing towards Beerus being stronger than Jiren/Broly?

Yes actually. The movie strongly suggest that Beerus is still top dog, or at least stronger than Broly.

Personally I think Beerus is > Broly and Jiren, and will stay so until shown or directly stated otherwise.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:30 pm

shadd21 wrote:
is it? AFAIH from others, Beerus was never implied to be above them i haven't seen the new movie or the final few eps of Super so idk.
Beerus is the goal for Goku. That alone tells you Beerus is the strongest. To add, the latest opponent in Broly was just compared to him. Anyone saying Beerus is not the man is just using headcannon to downplay Beerus and promote their favorite characters to his relevancy.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:49 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:

Yes actually. The movie strongly suggest that Beerus is still top dog, or at least stronger than Broly.

Personally I think Beerus is > Broly and Jiren, and will stay so until shown or directly stated otherwise.
I dunno about that. The movie didn't suggest that to me.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 pm

Miracles wrote:
shadd21 wrote:
Beerus is the goal for Goku. That alone tells you Beerus is the strongest. To add, the latest opponent in Broly was just compared to him. Anyone saying Beerus is not the man is just using headcannon to downplay Beerus and promote their favorite characters to his relevancy.
Aren't you doing the same? Seeing how Goku statement holds says nothing to imply Beerus is the strongest of the two.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:26 am

In my mind, Jiren, Beerus and Broly are all roughly comparable in strength, with no clear winner. I get the feeling that Beerus is the best martial artist though, especially considering he has elements of UI in the manga.

That's sorta head canon though. They definitely haven't made it clear in any way, and I don't get the feeling that Toriyama and co have even decided on this.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:25 pm

AvatarReiko wrote:How can Base Gogeta be weaker than his fusees though? Him being weaker would be illogical and does not make any sense. Gogeta is literally Goku and Vegeta combined, so could not possibly be weaker than either one on their own. Am I missing something here?
I think you are missing something here. Base Gogeta could be inferior to SSB Goku/Vegeta, hypothetically, without defeating the purpose of the fusion and still having Gogeta exponentially more powerful than Goku and Vegeta individually. Gogeta can be superior to them without being stronger than his fusees in their best form in his normal form. Like, just because Base Gogeta<SSB Goku/Vegeta, doesnt mean he isnt immensely stronger than them. No matter which way you look at it, SSJ Gogeta is immensely stronger than his fusees in an inferior form to their SSB.

Maybe you're thinking that the point of contention was whether Base Gogeta>Base Goku/Vegeta?
ssj3kakarot wrote:

What are you talking about? Goku literally states Broly's superiority over Beerus.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:30 pm

shadd21 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
shadd21 wrote:is it? AFAIH from others, Beerus was never implied to be above them i haven't seen the new movie or the final few eps of Super so idk.
Aren't you doing the same? Seeing how Goku statement holds says nothing to imply Beerus is the strongest of the two.
The fact that a stronger Goku currently compares Broly to Beerus with doubts means that Beerus was and still is the guy all along. The fandom drummed up their own news articles about Beerus being surpassed in the TOP. Yet here is the irrelevant guy, supposedly yesterdays news, in the limelight today. Now we are in a new arc and Beerus throne is still untouched. No, I'm not pumping anybody up, I don't have a favorite character but I always thought truth [following the story and not adding or taking away from it] always mattered. Especially in a huge DB fandom that has agendas, bias, and you tube videos that can outright cause confusion with their platforms. Amongst the disarray, I always think just sticking with the script can blow out all the smoke. Like this statement for example...
PFM18 wrote:What are you talking about? Goku literally states Broly's superiority over Beerus.
The same thing was claimed with Jiren and now that a current enemy pops up, the same misconception is being touted. Goku made a statement of uncertainty with the Broly and Beerus comparison. Again, nowhere was it outright; clearly stated that Beerus was surpassed, by anyone. Haven't we learned from the last mistakes?

Happy New Year everyone!

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:38 pm

Miracles wrote:
shadd21 wrote:
Miracles wrote: Beerus is the goal for Goku. That alone tells you Beerus is the strongest. To add, the latest opponent in Broly was just compared to him. Anyone saying Beerus is not the man is just using headcannon to downplay Beerus and promote their favorite characters to his relevancy.
The fact that a stronger Goku currently compares Broly to Beerus with doubts means that Beerus was and still is the guy all along. The fandom drummed up their own news articles about Beerus being surpassed in the TOP. Yet here is the irrelevant guy, supposedly yesterdays news, in the limelight today. Now we are in a new arc and Beerus throne is still untouched. No, I'm not pumping anybody up, I don't have a favorite character but I always thought truth [following the story and not adding or taking away from it] always mattered. Especially in a huge DB fandom that has agendas, bias, and you tube videos that can outright cause confusion with their platforms. Amongst the disarray, I always think just sticking with the script can blow out all the smoke. Like this statement for example...
But there isn't anything proving that Beerus' "throne" hasn't been touched, not saying that weaker than Jir/Brly, but nothing has indicated the opposite.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:21 am

shadd21 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
shadd21 wrote:Aren't you doing the same? Seeing how Goku statement holds says nothing to imply Beerus is the strongest of the two.
But there isn't anything proving that Beerus' "throne" hasn't been touched, not saying that weaker than Jir/Brly, but nothing has indicated the opposite.
Yes it has. It was established that Beerus is Goku's benchmark. Every opponent Goku has faced was never stated to be stronger than Beerus. Nothing usurps Beerus awaiting Goku at the top of the mountain.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 am

Miracles wrote:
shadd21 wrote:
Miracles wrote: The fact that a stronger Goku currently compares Broly to Beerus with doubts means that Beerus was and still is the guy all along. The fandom drummed up their own news articles about Beerus being surpassed in the TOP. Yet here is the irrelevant guy, supposedly yesterdays news, in the limelight today. Now we are in a new arc and Beerus throne is still untouched. No, I'm not pumping anybody up, I don't have a favorite character but I always thought truth [following the story and not adding or taking away from it] always mattered. Especially in a huge DB fandom that has agendas, bias, and you tube videos that can outright cause confusion with their platforms. Amongst the disarray, I always think just sticking with the script can blow out all the smoke. Like this statement for example...
Yes it has. It was established that Beerus is Goku's benchmark. Every opponent Goku has faced was never stated to be stronger than Beerus. Nothing usurps Beerus awaiting Goku at the top of the mountain.
Well, according to Whis, no.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Miracles wrote:
shadd21 wrote:
Miracles wrote: The fact that a stronger Goku currently compares Broly to Beerus with doubts means that Beerus was and still is the guy all along. The fandom drummed up their own news articles about Beerus being surpassed in the TOP. Yet here is the irrelevant guy, supposedly yesterdays news, in the limelight today. Now we are in a new arc and Beerus throne is still untouched. No, I'm not pumping anybody up, I don't have a favorite character but I always thought truth [following the story and not adding or taking away from it] always mattered. Especially in a huge DB fandom that has agendas, bias, and you tube videos that can outright cause confusion with their platforms. Amongst the disarray, I always think just sticking with the script can blow out all the smoke. Like this statement for example...
Beerus hasn't been the sole Benchmark since the U6 tournament, Goku literally stated in Broly that his goal is the fighters from other universes, and than the ToP has "Open his eyes" to that, add that to the comparisons between Jiren/Broly and Beerus that were intentionally made ambiguous by the writers/Toriyama, it appears that the Goku's goal has shifted from Beerus to GoD level fighters in general, which even then doesn't men that Beerus is the strongest.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:24 pm

It’s actually the other way around. Is there any hard evidence that Jiren and Broly are stronger than Universe 7’s God of Destruction, Lord Beerus??!

So far, i don’t see any. We only get a couple of very vague statements. Far too vague to determine any real answer. For now, it seems Beerus is still on top. He needs to be, until the inevitable rematch between Beerus and a fully mastered UI Goku. That’s (presumably) why his strength continuously gets retconned in order to stay ahead of Goku. The manga also hinted at their legendary rematch. Saying Goku would eventually become the mighty rival Beerus had dreamed of. Everything seems to be leading up to that historic moment. Whenever that happens. It might take a couple of Arcs though,

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:12 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Miracles wrote:
shadd21 wrote:But there isn't anything proving that Beerus' "throne" hasn't been touched, not saying that weaker than Jir/Brly, but nothing has indicated the opposite.
Well, according to Whis, no.
That has nothing to do with Beerus. That is outright talking Jiren being above Belmond.
shadd21 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
shadd21 wrote:But there isn't anything proving that Beerus' "throne" hasn't been touched, not saying that weaker than Jir/Brly, but nothing has indicated the opposite.
Beerus hasn't been the sole Benchmark since the U6 tournament, Goku literally stated in Broly that his goal is the fighters from other universes, and than the ToP has "Open his eyes" to that, add that to the comparisons between Jiren/Broly and Beerus that were intentionally made ambiguous by the writers/Toriyama, it appears that the Goku's goal has shifted from Beerus to GoD level fighters in general, which even then doesn't men that Beerus is the strongest.
Saying Beerus hasn't been the goal since U6 is a non truther because Goku stated in that very arc that he is going to fight Beerus again "Someday." That means currently making him still the man. To add to that, Beerus status, Goku wouldn't have compared the current opponent in Broly to Beerus with doubts if he wasn't the goal since U6. We know opponents grow in strength every arc. Yet Beerus is still relevant and here we are in the Moro arc, Beerus throne is unshaken. Beerus is still the strongest because Goku has yet to fulfill the prophecy of the oracle fish and give Beerus a great battle. You too need to reread the story.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:06 pm

PFM18 wrote:
I think you are missing something here. Base Gogeta could be inferior to SSB Goku/Vegeta, hypothetically, without defeating the purpose of the fusion and still having Gogeta exponentially more powerful than Goku and Vegeta individually. Gogeta can be superior to them without being stronger than his fusees in their best form in his normal form. Like, just because Base Gogeta<SSB Goku/Vegeta, doesnt mean he isnt immensely stronger than them. No matter which way you look at it, SSJ Gogeta is immensely stronger than his fusees in an inferior form to their SSB.

Maybe you're thinking that the point of contention was whether Base Gogeta>Base Goku/Vegeta?
ssj3kakarot wrote:

What are you talking about? Goku literally states Broly's superiority over Beerus.
But why are their transformations being separated though? Gogeta should be > Goku and Vegeta period

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:19 pm

When Goku says “Broly is probably stronger than Beerus” there is a sense of “likeliness” in Goku’s sentence. Not a “definetely”, but at least there is a strong indication that Broly surpassed the God of Destruction level. I suspect Beerus might surprise though.