Super retelling BOG and ROF

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21003
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Following the confirmation that Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F are going to adapted into arcs for Dragon Ball Super, do you feel as though this was a good idea? Or do you feel as though this was an unnecessary retcon that just only adds further confusion to the continuity of Dragon Ball? I'm personally torn about this. I loved Battle Of Gods as it was, and the fact that the story will most likely be significantly changed, upsets me. However, on one hand, ROF could certainly uses for a bit of retooling and addition of more context and content. And of course there's the elephant in the room that is the 2008 OVA, which has been caught in the middle of the continuity retcon fiasco. And following the details of the plot of the Super and the time placement of where the plot begins, where does that fit in now?
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5144
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57 pm

I like the 2008 OVA for what it was, but I never, ever wanted that to be canon. The idea of Vegeta having a pansy brother irks me. If they decide to opt that, I'd be 110% fine with the decision.

Anyways, I'm very happy with this news for two reasons:

1. I'm not fond of the structure of the movies. Several elements may have been left unchanged from the original BoG script, which Toriyama worked around. Now, he has more freedom. He's less restricted, in general, because these aren't hour and thirty minute long movies, but rather, multiple thirty minute episodes, so we might get expansive views of the stories he wanted to tell us. For example, as I mentioned in the other topic, in the F arc, we may actually see Freeza training, as well as what Trunk, Goten, and Buu were up to. There may be a scene where Tenshinhan tells Yamcha and Chiaotzu to stay behind. We may see Vegeta gain SSJG, as well as the moment where Whis gives them the okay to visit Beerus' planet after they bribe him with food. Things of that nature. I don't expect anything that completely retcons major events from the movies. Just small things, like the time Beerus woke up, and of course, Champa's role in the background. This also gives Toriyama the opportunity to have everything flow a lot better without creating unnecessary gaps.

2. It's a good strategy for newcomers who don't want to watch multiple films to follow the continuity of the series. Hardcore fans will always find a way to watch anything to do with Dragon Ball, but casuals who haven't seen the new stuff and happen to tune into Super will likely be confused if those movies aren't retold. It just makes it more accessible to anyone who wants to revisit Dragon Ball--they can simply watch Super now!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:08 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Following the confirmation that Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F are going to adapted into arcs for Dragon Ball Super
No such thing was ever said.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5144
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Following the confirmation that Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F are going to adapted into arcs for Dragon Ball Super
No such thing was ever said.
Seriously, did you read the front page?

"'Dragon Ball Super' is a complete continuation of the Majin Buu story arc. It’s got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the 'Battle of Gods' arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the 'Revival of ‘F'' arc where Freeza comes back to life, and then, I’ve written a strange new story where they finally depart from this universe. "
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:14 pm

It's the best thing they can do with them cause now we'll see what Toriyama wanted to show us without the limitations the movies put on him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:30 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Seriously, did you read the front page?
Yes, I did. But some of you continue to pass assumptions as fact. It's Battle of Gods arc, which means the movie is part of an arc, not that it will be rewritten/retold or adapted into episodes (otherwise it ceases to be BoG and becomes something else). But again, feel free to prove me wrong.

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm

do you feel as though this was a good idea?
It isn't a good idea, period. It was one of the worst possible ideas that they could have actually had.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:41 pm

Bullza wrote:
do you feel as though this was a good idea?
It isn't a good idea, period. It was one of the worst possible ideas that they could have actually had.
Why? I don't get this. What's so bad about having MORE of something GOOD, that can make that something good even BETTER?

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bullza wrote:
do you feel as though this was a good idea?
It isn't a good idea, period. It was one of the worst possible ideas that they could have actually had.
Why? I don't get this. What's so bad about having MORE of something GOOD, that can make that something good even BETTER?
Because they aren't giving you more of something good. They are unnecessarily replacing something that was already good. They have a whole slew of ideas with this Universe 6 arc to have more of something good.

As I said before these are new movies, movies that have done so well they have brought the franchise back in a big way and is why Super is likely getting made in the first place. Why retell them?

Why could they have not simply have started the series after RoF and started with the Universe 6 arc? Why go out of the way to confuse fans and make the movies irrelevant and possibly non canon?

It is a mind boggingly stupid and unnecessary thing to do.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Bullza wrote:Because they aren't giving you more of something good. They are unnecessarily replacing something that was already good. They have a whole slew of ideas with this Universe 6 arc to have more of something good.

As I said before these are new movies, movies that have done so well they have brought the franchise back in a big way and is why Super is likely getting made in the first place. Why retell them?

Why could they have not simply have started the series after RoF and started with the Universe 6 arc? Why go out of the way to confuse fans and make the movies irrelevant and possibly non canon?

It is a mind boggingly stupid and unnecessary thing to do.
First off, don't expect them to completely rewrite the movies into completely different products. Second, not everyone has watched the movies so this is good from a marketing standpoint. And third, instead of making a new arc from scratch like you seem to be suggesting, there's nothing stopping them from just making slight alterations, keeping everything largely the same and instead expand on stuff, like the SSG backstory and Freeza's training. You're getting upset over something we know nothing about yet.

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:50 pm

Millions of people have watched these movies, literally millions. They have received an enormous amount of attention amongst the franchise enough so that they didn't need to retell them.

There isn't anything stopping them from making alterations but it simply isn't needed. They could have just started following on from RoF with the Universe 6 arc and that would have been perfectly fine.

I'm fine with the series working around the movies, expanding on them, showing what Frieza's training in that 4 months entailed but I don't want anything from the movies to be changed.

I don't know exactly what this series is going to do. It might not retell the movies but if it does then it is absolutely a terrible idea.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:01 pm

It doesn't matter if millions have watched them, there are still other millions who will watch the show who haven't.

If the result is possibly something better, then why not? It's not a terrible idea from a marketing and storytelling standpoint, not at all.

The movies aren't going anywhere, they're still there.

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Doctor. wrote:It doesn't matter if millions have watched them, there are still other millions who will watch the show who haven't.
Something easily fixed by airing the movie or having a short summary of it at the beginning of an episode.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:It doesn't matter if millions have watched them, there are still other millions who will watch the show who haven't.
Something easily fixed by airing the movie or having a short summary of it at the beginning of an episode.
Yes, they will air a movie, on TV, that hasn't even come out in DVD.

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:12 pm

If this means expanding and fleshing out certain elements from both movies, them i´m all for it.
"The Time of Birth has Come, I Am The Remedy of Eternity.”
“The Time of Crowning has Come, I Am The Begining of Eternity."
"The Time of Parting has Come, I Am Who Lets Go of The World"

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:16 pm

Then those millions of people who haven't the movie have the option to watch it if they want to. Many more millions of people watched DBZ without watching Dragon Ball and that worked out just fine.

The movies they have are fine and we'll liked as they are. They don't need to attempt to make them better, you could say the same thing about the Buu saga and Super retelling that, it's just unnecessary altogether. What if the result was actually worse instead?

It's all besides the point. They could have started after RoF and nobody would have complained about it. It wouldn't have been any worse or less successful than what they appear to be doing now.

The movies will still be there but if they retold them then the movies will lose their importance. They've had so much discussion and success because they were considered a canon continuation of the series and now they are possibly going to be thrown to the side and replaced by a new version.

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yes, they will air a movie, on TV, that hasn't even come out in DVD.
I'm talking about BoG, obviously. For all we know, RoF could happen later on in the timeline.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:If this means expanding and fleshing out certain elements from both movies, them i´m all for it.
I am all for it too as long as they re use animation from the films otherwise we're gonna suffer the same story through crappier animation. /:

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Bullza wrote:Then those millions of people who haven't the movie have the option to watch it if they want to. Many more millions of people watched DBZ without watching Dragon Ball and that worked out just fine.
They do? Tell me how they'd watch Resurrection 'F' when it's not on DVD yet. If the series started after RF, millions of people would be lost for a couple of months until the DVDs were out. If the series started before RF but after BoG, then it'd just be filler until everyone had access to RF and the REAL story could commence.
Bullza wrote:The movies they have are fine and we'll liked as they are. They don't need to attempt to make them better, you could say the same thing about the Buu saga and Super retelling that, it's just unnecessary altogether. What if the result was actually worse instead?
For you they're fine, I think Resurrection 'F' is terrible and I'd gladly take anything to make it better. Likewise, I also wouldn't mind them retelling the Boo arc even if I do like that arc. Nor do I mind if they just chose to reboot the entire franchise. What happens if it's worse? Nothing, the original didn't go anywhere. If it's better, you have two versions you can enjoy, if it's worse, well you can ignore one and enjoy the other.
Bullza wrote:They could have started after RoF and nobody would have complained about it. It wouldn't have been any worse or less successful than what they appear to be doing now.
Doctor. wrote:They do? Tell me how they'd watch Resurrection 'F' when it's not on DVD yet. If the series started after RF, millions of people would be lost for a couple of months until the DVDs were out. If the series started before RF but after BoG, then it'd just be filler until everyone had access to RF and the REAL story could commence.
Bullza wrote:The movies will still be there but if they retold them then the movies will lose their importance.
And your point is....? Why does it matter if other people don't care about the movies anymore? You're the only one that should care.
Bullza wrote:They've had so much discussion and success because they were considered a canon continuation of the series and now they are possibly going to be thrown to the side and replaced by a new version.
The Bardock TV special didn't stop getting attention after Minus came out.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5144
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Super retelling BOG and ROF

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Then those millions of people who haven't the movie have the option to watch it if they want to. Many more millions of people watched DBZ without watching Dragon Ball and that worked out just fine.

The movies they have are fine and we'll liked as they are. They don't need to attempt to make them better, you could say the same thing about the Buu saga and Super retelling that, it's just unnecessary altogether. What if the result was actually worse instead?

It's all besides the point. They could have started after RoF and nobody would have complained about it. It wouldn't have been any worse or less successful than what they appear to be doing now.

The movies will still be there but if they retold them then the movies will lose their importance. They've had so much discussion and success because they were considered a canon continuation of the series and now they are possibly going to be thrown to the side and replaced by a new version.
Breathe in and out! lol.

It's not a big deal. At the very least, we know that Super isn't JUST a retelling. A lot of people aren't going to be bothered to watch these films; they'll only read summaries. This allows them the opportunity to jump into Super without having to worry about needing to watch something else to fully enjoy it. I know I'd be reluctant to watch something knowing that.

Honestly, why does it matter whether the movies lose importance, especially if, assumingly, the retellings are superior? It's like Path of Power, only in reverse.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Post Reply