Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedHeat
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
precita wrote:It's kind of ironic the Universe survival arc is on track to be Super's lowest-rated saga yet. I guess now that Super is 2 years old the initial shock of a new Dragonball series has worn off in Japan, so it's not going to have people tune in week after week.
Needs more eye candy, freaking Yurin episode drew a better rating than most episodes of the ToP :lol:

Give Brianne a new transformation and make her 100% pretty, that will sell merchandise.
Seems like the "people don't watch for the content" statement is getting less and less true. I'm going to take a guess and say the next episode is going to turn out somewhere in the low 5%, mainly because while it looks more action-packed Gohan isn't well loved.
Feels over Reals.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 pm

RedHeat wrote: Seems like the "people don't watch for the content" statement is getting less and less true. I'm going to take a guess and say the next episode is going to turn out somewhere in the low 5%, mainly because while it looks more action-packed Gohan isn't well loved.
If it gets better I think its because of Gohan, we will see him use Mystic instead of relying on Base like Goku.

And tbh seeing Goku stay in base has killed the mood of the arc, and ratings show it. They want to see Goku at least use SSJ, they hate seeing him fight in base and create fake tension.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:39 pm

I like to compare against last year's at this time. If I did my math correctly, that means episode 53 which, while in the same position (7th place) still scored more eyeballs overall with a 6.6%.

I'll be curious to see how many people they can pull in when this arc reaches its climax, and when it's finished.

I realize you can say this about any of Super's arcs, but so far I feel like this tournament could've been set up better than it is. Also how many people were actually nostalgic for tournaments in the first place? I dunno. The best this arc's pulled so far was episode 80 at 6.6%. The best the Zamasu arc pulled was 8.4%.
Last edited by Chuquita on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm

I wonder what Toei will do about these falling ratings. Well, it's been fun guys. At this point Super might only go on another year or two and that's it. It's time to pack your bags and close up shop, it's all over everyone.

We had a good run.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 pm

precita wrote:It's kind of ironic the Universe survival arc is on track to be Super's lowest-rated saga yet.
It's going to be the lowest by a considerable amount.

If it wasn't for One Piece's rating being so low as well then I'd be pretty damn worried by now. Three of the last five episodes have been under a 5.0%.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 pm

precita wrote:I wonder what Toei will do about these falling ratings. Well, it's been fun guys. At this point Super might only go on another year or two and that's it. It's time to pack your bags and close up shop, it's all over everyone.

We had a good run.
They will probably blame it on one of the writers, and that writer will get fired, or Toei will fire one of the directors like they did with Sailor Moon Crystal.

Chuquita wrote:I like to compare against last year's at this time. If I did my math correctly, that means episode 53 which, while in the same position (7th place) still scored more eyeballs overall with a 6.6%.

I'll be curious to see how many people they can pull in when this arc reaches its climax, and when it's finished.

I realize you can say this about any of Super's arcs, but so far I feel like this tournament could've been set up better than it is. Also how many people were actually nostalgic for tournaments in the first place? I dunno. The best this arc's pulled so far was episode 80 at 6.6%. The best the Zamasu arc pulled was 8.4%.
Episode 53 had Goku, Whis and Beerus visiting U10, and Goku sparring vs Zamasu, that was more intringuing than what happened in episode 102 due to the mystery of Black.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
precita wrote:I wonder what Toei will do about these falling ratings. Well, it's been fun guys. At this point Super might only go on another year or two and that's it. It's time to pack your bags and close up shop, it's all over everyone.

We had a good run.
They will probably blame it on one of the writers, and that writer will get fired, or Toei will fire one of the directors like they did with Sailor Moon Crystal.

Chuquita wrote:I like to compare against last year's at this time. If I did my math correctly, that means episode 53 which, while in the same position (7th place) still scored more eyeballs overall with a 6.6%.

Episode 53 had Goku, Whis and Beerus visiting U10, and Goku sparring vs Zamasu, that was more intringuing than what happened in episode 102 due to the mystery of Black.
The "Who is Goku Black" mystery was so much fun for me to theorize on. Even if the answer wasn't one I expected, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of guessing and reading others' guesses too.

There's no mystery to this tournament arc. Even if they do have a surprise plot-twist of an ending, it can't make up for what right now to me feels more like a filler arc than anything else.

Re: Directors/Writers

They seem to be changing directors with each new arc, so we might get a new one no matter how this arc does. Writers as far as I know are freelancers.

I think if this arc does poorly they'll just stay away from doing tournaments for a while, which I think would be a good thing. Maybe they could come back in a later arc with a more creative tournament arena, or a more fun setting, or more interesting rules of play.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Chuquita wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

We had a good run.

The "Who is Goku Black" mystery was so much fun for me to theorize on. Even if the answer wasn't one I expected, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of guessing and reading others' guesses too.

There's no mystery to this tournament arc. Even if they do have a surprise plot-twist of an ending, it can't make up for what right now to me feels more like a filler arc than anything else.

They seem to be changing directors with each new arc, so we might get a new one no matter how this arc does. Writers as far as I know are freelancers.

I think if this arc does poorly they'll just stay away from doing tournaments for a while, which I think would be a good thing. Maybe they could come back in a later arc with a more creative tournament arena, or a more fun setting, or more interesting rules of play.
Even if the rating of this saga low,that doesn't mean dbs won't stop doing tournaments hell AT could pull another tournament arc before this one,is not the writers who decided this idea or come up with the new arc ,is from AT and they need to follow his words no matter what
Last edited by The gr on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:31 pm

How are the ratings bad when it's consistently the #7 show or higher? :eh: Even when the ratings are down I don't think it's ever gone lower than its usual #7 spot. If the show slipped out of the top 10, that'd be a different story.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:36 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:How are the ratings bad when it's consistently the #7 show or higher? :eh: Even when the ratings are down I don't think it's ever gone lower than its usual #7 spot.
I agree, Super never moves from 4th-7th place. Even OP is down significantly to 5 percentages.

Honestly while I do enjoy following these sorta things, people put too much stock into these ratings.
Feels over Reals.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:I like to compare against last year's at this time. If I did my math correctly, that means episode 53 which, while in the same position (7th place) still scored more eyeballs overall with a 6.6.
Last year at this time was episode 54 rated at 5.8%. You needn't do math, it's on page 72 of the thread.

Ratings are still down overall from last year, which yes, probably indicates more TV viewers followed the FT arc. For what it's worth, OP is doing more badly compared to last year.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:09 pm

To be fair though, ratings are down for pretty much all shows.

From august 3, 2016 to august 8, 2017
Sazae San: 12.7 -> 11.7
Crayon Shin-chan: 9.4 -> 7.3
Doraemon: 8.9 -> 7.5
Chibi Maruko-chan: 8.2 -> 7.7
one piece: 7.9 -> 5.8
Detective Conan: 6.9 -> 5.1
Dragon Ball Super(Episode 53): 6.6 -> 4.5
Ace Attorney, the-truth-, Objection!: 4.4 ->show finished.
Yokai Watch: 4.2 -> 3.1
Animation Curious George: 3.0 -> below the line.

Pokemon and Precure are the only shows with higher ratings. It would be interesting to graph the regulars in the top 10 over the last year or two and normalize for variance.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 pm

So everything but Pokémon and Precure?

Well I know Pokémon had that art style revamp, so that probably helped it.

Precure...honestly this year's is about as messy as last year's, but the big difference is there's a better (imo) presentation this time. KiraPre has fun Umakoshi-style influenced reaction faces. I'm enjoying it more than Mahotsukai because of that, but it's still not nearly as good as GoPri and I miss the hand to hand combat so much.

More fluid pokémon style animation + Precure reaction faces would improve things, but the time isn't there to achieve the former, and the latter can't happen unless someone usurpes Yamamuro.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:41 am

When did that Pokémon Sun and Moon anime start? Was it airing last August? If not I can understand why that one went up.

These falling ratings obviously have nothing to do with Super. As long as all the other shows are dropping at the same time then it ain't a problem and we don't need to be concerned with it being cancelled or anything.

If the Future Trunks saga and Universe Survival saga had aired the other way around the ratings probably wouldn't be all that different from what were seeing now.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:53 am

precita wrote:It's kind of ironic the Universe survival arc is on track to be Super's lowest-rated saga yet. I guess now that Super is 2 years old the initial shock of a new Dragonball series has worn off in Japan, so it's not going to have people tune in week after week.
Except it's not, ratings across the board dipped. Detective Conan dropped a whole 2%!!.

We had a good run.
Nothing because there is nothing to do. Seriously. It's still in the top 7 and not to mention how many times that ratings DO NOT matter. Why else do you think the likes of Pokémon that can barely sustain themselves in the top 10 have 978 episodes...?

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:10 am

And complete bombs like Naruto.

People keep trying to force the narrative that characters are responsible for lower ratings, or that a low rating (when all shows are down) means it's doom for the series while it's still in the top 7.

This isn't America.

Lol.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:36 am

I just hope the next arc they will revamp characters designs to make things more interesting. The DBZ 4D Movie designs were appreciated, right? Those are easy to animate, and look more like the old anime.
Along with the new filter and the soft grain they recently added in the recent blu-rays, they could make Super look very nostalgic. That's the nostalgia they should aim for, not bringing back Broly and whatnot. And freshness brings in more viewers, right? New designs seem to have helped Pokèmon.

It's not a problem though if they keep things like this as long as Super is in Top 10, but I hope they will try to make Super better and better.

I definitely expect the ratings to pick-up once the main battles of the arc start and Goku goes all-out, by the way.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:36 am

The gr wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

Even if the rating of this saga low,that doesn't mean dbs won't stop doing tournaments hell AT could pull another tournament arc before this one,is not the writers who decided this idea or come up with the new arc ,is from AT and they need to follow his words no matter what
In original dragon ball, Toriyama did 3 tournament arcs all, only had one arc in between and I doubt he gives a shit about ratings or even merchandise.

he does what he wants and unlike back in the day, nobody is going to tell him no. He is just having fun at this point.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:47 am

emperior wrote:I just hope the next arc they will revamp characters designs to make things more interesting. The DBZ 4D Movie designs were appreciated, right? Those are easy to animate, and look more like the old anime.
Along with the new filter and the soft grain they recently added in the recent blu-rays, they could make Super look very nostalgic. That's the nostalgia they should aim for, not bringing back Broly and whatnot. And freshness brings in more viewers, right? New designs seem to have helped Pokèmon.

It's not a problem though if they keep things like this as long as Super is in Top 10, but I hope they will try to make Super better and better.

I definitely expect the ratings to pick-up once the main battles of the arc start and Goku goes all-out, by the way.
The highest rated episode is the one where Future Trunks comes back, a fan favorite and that new filter didn't do much for ratings.

Thats why I say content doesn't matter. The fanservice does. The future trunks arc wasn't high because of Black, it was high because of Future trunks himself and toei knew that. The highest rated episode outside the exhibition is 94 and guess whose reintroduction that was.

Mark my words, if this is the lowest rated arc, we are getting Bardock next and he won't be a gender swap.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am

Totamo wrote:
emperior wrote:I just hope the next arc they will revamp characters designs to make things more interesting. The DBZ 4D Movie designs were appreciated, right? Those are easy to animate, and look more like the old anime.

The highest rated episode is the one where Future Trunks comes back, a fan favorite and that new filter didn't do much for ratings.

Thats why I say content doesn't matter. The fanservice does. The future trunks arc wasn't high because of Black, it was high because of Future trunks himself and toei knew that. The highest rated episode outside the exhibition is 94 and guess whose reintroduction that was.

Mark my words, if this is the lowest rated arc, we are getting Bardock next and he won't be a gender swap.
It's all up to Toriyama. Bringing Trunks back wasn't a stupid idea and that's why Toriyama took the anime staff suggestion to bring him back.
Bringing Bardock would be difficult, there should be a valid reason to have him back. I don't really think Toriyama would bring him back, but who knows.

By the way the filter wasn't a big visual change. Changing designs would be a big change that would make a lot of people talk, like it happened with Pokèmon.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical