Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 79

Post by MisteryOne » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:49 am

Ajay wrote:Hi, leader of the YamamuroPlsGo party here. :shifty:

I think it looks fine on a technical level. Its worst offence, and one that is pretty typical, is that it's incredibly boring.

I don't really have any issues with it.
IMHO all the covers from Super have been more or less boring. I dunno about the other series, is there any better ones?
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am

No leaked image for next episode this weekend either?
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 am

MisteryOne wrote:
Ajay wrote:Hi, leader of the YamamuroPlsGo party here. :shifty:

I think it looks fine on a technical level. Its worst offence, and one that is pretty typical, is that it's incredibly boring.

I don't really have any issues with it.
IMHO all the covers from Super have been more or less boring. I dunno about the other series, is there any better ones?
The best one I've seen so far has been for the cover of the Chozetsu Dynamic CD single.

I'll save you the wall of text of things I have to say on it and just condense it down to "Even that isn't really that great".
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:52 am

BakaManiaHD wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: No I don't think so, Ajay or Psykomatik would have mentioned something by now. Think it's just the cover.
Yeah.. but it really looks different:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Here it is from the BD box set:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

As you see, there's no change in this shot... or perhaps they're re-re-re-correcting things on the DVD release, and if that's the case, i'm gonna kill me. :D

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 am

So, after I opened Facebook to do some training (The Facebook DB fanbase is the worst of the worst, I trained there to not get salty).

I found a cut of Madara vs a bunch of shinobi, and I cried after watching that... That's one of the best piece of animation I've ever seen, a complete opposite of what Dragon Ball Super do in production.

I guess we will never ever see a real good looking Dragon Ball content in the modern days.
For me that's TOEI faults anyway, this series is a world-level series, so many potential wasted.
Well, It's pretty much impossible for a Studio that handles 5 animes at once.

Imagine, the whole TOEI company animating Dragon Ball Super. Dang, I need to free myself from anxiety and stop blaming them for these.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Gashif Aldi wrote:So, after I opened Facebook to do some training (The Facebook DB fanbase is the worst of the worst, I trained there to not get salty).

I found a cut of Madara vs a bunch of shinobi, and I cried after watching that... That's one of the best piece of animation I've ever seen, a complete opposite of what Dragon Ball Super do in production.

I guess we will never ever see a real good looking Dragon Ball content in the modern days.
For me that's TOEI faults anyway, this series is a world-level series, so many potential wasted.
Well, It's pretty much impossible for a Studio that handles 5 animes at once.

Imagine, the whole TOEI company animating Dragon Ball Super. Dang, I need to free myself from anxiety and stop blaming them for these.
Are you seriously saying that Dragonball Super has worse animation than Naruto Shippudenn? That show does have some good animation, sometimes. Often it looks closer to this.

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2A3OmRWcVI

Studio Pierrot usually blows its animation load all on one or two fights and usually leave many other parts of their arcs looking janky. Super is almost exactly the same.

-Vegeta

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Speaking of Studio Pierrot ^

What do you guys think of what they've done with Bleach? Last time i checked, the animation there was just beautiful.

And bleach has some of the best anime soundtracks I've ever heard, honestly.
Octorockandroll wrote:
Are you seriously saying that Dragonball Super has worse animation than Naruto Shippudenn? That show does have some good animation, sometimes. Often it looks closer to this.

A lot of Naruto Shippuden episodes are better animated than dragon ball movies. (though i think Jacob might be the guy to handle this. :lol:)

Edit: Here, i found a 2 examples:

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2MmlMxuDFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utph5OQ7RXc[/spoiler]
Last edited by iAnimationLover_ on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Naruto has a much deeper history of good animation than Dragon Ball does and with the new Boruto series being an original series directed by Yamashita Hiroyuki with Abe Noriyuki as his chief series director it's bound to attract a lot of talent, too. Even more so than Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden, I suspect.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:13 pm

The Pain fight is not bad animation. It is one of the best animated fights you'll see in long running shows. The first 7 mins is entirely animated by webgen star Yamashita Shingo. Wakabayashi smartly directed and boarded it and let Yamashita go wild to showcase Naruto's wrath and Pain's anger. It is a different style. DIFFERENT doesn't mean BAD.

The Naruto franchise is handled with more care and better managed. I mean it has its bad days, but the important moments that really matter get spectacular animation. Obito vs Kakashi, Jiraiya vs Pain, Sasuke vs Killer Bee, both Naruto Sasuke fights, Madara's strength display as someone pointed et cetera.

As for Bleach, I'm watching it currently. It has so far been safe and mediocre work, but from what I've heard it significantly improves later. Fully agreed on the OST. Sagisu Shirou is GOD!!! The movies, Jigoku-Hen in particular is well done for the most part.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:Are you seriously saying that Dragonball Super has worse animation than Naruto Shippudenn?
Yes. There's no competition. At all.

Story-wise, Naruto kinda lost me ~100 episodes into Shippuden, but the animation is above and beyond anything Dragon Ball, including Super.

That's not a dig at Dragon Ball's animation, but Naruto has been treated very well. You get conventionally good animation and you get divisive and interesting animation. It has so much going for it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:25 pm

The Pain fight's animation is great on a technical level, but at the same time I think they strayed too far from anything else in the show, it just looks so off and incredibly goofy to me.
Shreyas_Singh wrote:No leaked image for next episode this weekend either?
Not yet, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat of last week with them uploading the preview image after the episode airs, possibly to avoid the images leaking out ahead of time.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Ajay wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:Are you seriously saying that Dragonball Super has worse animation than Naruto Shippudenn?

Story-wise, Naruto kinda lost me ~100 episodes into Shippuden, but the animation is above and beyond anything Dragon Ball, including Super.
In some parts I agree, but when thinking in terms of totality I wouldn't be so sure. I'm amazed you even got that fsr into shipudden though.

-Vegeta

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Idk, maybe it has better animation but the fights and the effects aren't as exciting as DB fights and effects, I recently watched the Naruto vs Sasuke final battle because everybody told me it has superb animation and in the end, the fight only lasts 20 minutes or so, It is filled with flashbacks. For every 10 seconds of action there are 5 minutes of flashbacks and well, you can have really great animation with that technique. If Dragon Ball does this, It will have much better animation, but thankfully that's not the case.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Shreyas_Singh wrote:No leaked image for next episode this weekend either?
There is an image. It's Goku in normal state in the middle of a small crater in the arena.

As for naruto shippuuden, the animation in general is great. A lot of work has been put to the major fights. Sasuke vs Naruto was a masterpiece. The storyboarding process in this show is literally art. They took the manga and made it unbelievably beautiful and better in anime form.
The only negative of this show is in general the awful long filler arcs.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:19 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:
There is an image. It's Goku in normal state in the middle of a small crater in the arena.
That's for this week's episode.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Ajay wrote:

That's not a dig at Dragon Ball's animation, but Naruto has been treated very well. You get conventionally good animation and you get divisive and interesting animation. It has so much going for it.
Yeah, Naruto's animation is actually incredible unlike Dragonball Supers. I still enjoy the fights much more in Dragonball super though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:
Didn't he say this weekend?

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Octorockandroll wrote: In some parts I agree, but when thinking in terms of totality I wouldn't be so sure. I'm amazed you even got that fsr into shipudden though.
Alee9977 wrote:Idk, maybe it has better animation but the fights and the effects aren't as exciting as DB fights and effects, I recently watched the Naruto vs Sasuke final battle because everybody told me it has superb animation and in the end, the fight only lasts 20 minutes or so, It is filled with flashbacks. For every 10 seconds of action there are 5 minutes of flashbacks and well, you can have really great animation with that technique. If Dragon Ball does this, It will have much better animation, but thankfully that's not the case.
Naruto's animation gets supported by great post-processing, storyboardings and usage of colors. It has had bad episodes as every long-runner, but overall it is on another level.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:32 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:
Maybe there is no image because there is no episode next week.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:47 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:
Maybe there is no image because there is no episode next week.
There is still a NEP for today's episode so that doesn't effect it.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.