Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sodhi
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 84

Post by Sodhi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Naoki Tate and Shida are using the ones regularly using impact frames in Super. Karasawa and higashide use them sometimes too. Hopefully slowly as the procuiton improves, impact frames become a regular thing done by most animations in Super.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:17 pm

One piece just got a new CAD(Chief Animation Director), ichikawa, potentially replacing Hisada Kazuya. I wonder what are Hisada Kazuya's plan, if he is getting replaced. Maybe he is retiring, leaving toei or maybe will work in other series here and there like Super?(hopefully).

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Sodhi wrote:One piece just got a new CAD(Chief Animation Director), ichikawa, potentially replacing Hisada Kazuya. I wonder what are Hisada Kazuya's plan, if he is getting replaced. Maybe he is retiring, leaving toei or maybe will work in other series here and there like Super?(hopefully).
When was the last time he even drew anything Dragon Ball? It's been since the 90s hasn't it? If he were to ever work on Dragon Ball again I can't even imagine what his art would look like, but if he worked on Dragon Ball and was able to emulate his late Z art that'd be incredible.
Any idea how old he is?

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:49 am

According to Animation Styles guide, his birthday is sometime around 1968. Also, yea, his last DB major role was GT #63 as an AS and KA, which aired November 12th 1997.Most recent however was his work on 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour special as KA.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:03 am

I have an interesting question for the "more knowledgeable" members here. Why do we see so huge differences between opening animations and the animations in each episode?

When I say differences I am not focusing only on movement but also character art.

Is it because the animations are shorter so they have more time to work or because they are heavily corrected?

It's not like the amazing Limit break x survivor was animated from another studio. Tate, Shida, and many more of the Toei staff worked on it. Excluding Yamamuro, all of them work to some extent in the series. Why can't they at least produce the same level of character art weekly?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 am

OPs are shorter and mostly handled by a good director like Nagamine did the current one for example. In order to get the audience more excited in the show and attract new fans they go all out there. That seems to be the intent I believe.

The OP production also doesn't get affected by poor schedule in most cases again cause of the shorter length. Even shows with horrific schedule like Yuri!!! ON ICE have a high quality OP.

Producing that level for a 22 minute episode with not a good schedule and a long running show on top of it is very difficult. That is why it is the crucial moments sakuga fans expect to see good staff doing good work and also bringing in top animators to raise the quality. Episode #66 of DBS is a fine example.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 am

With the release of the new blu-rays, I think an update to the noteable cuts section on the front page is definitely in order. The noteable cuts section hasn't been updated since #66 and a fair few noteable scenes that need to be added to their respective supervisors have been produced since then. Sorry if this sounds a little rude, but I feel like it's the one section of the front page that is in need of a major update.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:49 am

Sodhi wrote:One piece just got a new CAD(Chief Animation Director), ichikawa, potentially replacing Hisada Kazuya. I wonder what are Hisada Kazuya's plan, if he is getting replaced. Maybe he is retiring, leaving toei or maybe will work in other series here and there like Super?(hopefully).
There's a such bizarre string of misinformation going on with this One Piece news. Perhaps it's because of AnimeNewsNetwork misreporting that Ichikawa was also a character designer, I don't know, but Hisada's not going anywhere, that's for sure.

The series director, Toshinori Fukuzawa, mentioned that while Kazuya Hisada is once again designing characters for the upcoming Whole Cake Island arc, Keiichi Ichikawa will be taking on the role of Chief Animation Director. Source.

Thanks to an interview with Hisada, we know they were already preparing for Whole Cake Island towards the beginning of the Zou arc, so it makes little sense that Hisada would put all that work in only to vanish as the arc begins. Moreover, with the sheer number of characters and ever-changing costumes in One Piece, it is absolutely impossible for a character designer to maintain a CAD role.

All that's happening is that One Piece is adopting a similar approach to what Super already has with the likes of Takeo Ide and Miyako Tsuji. Hisada will remain the primary designer, much like Yamamuro is for Super, while the Chief AD will correct work and provide character designs in certain places -- again, just like we've seen in Super. You can already see Ichikawa's touch in #778 and #782, actually!

So... yeah. As much as I'd love to see Hisada return to Dragon Ball in some capacity, that's not happening any time soon.
JazzMazz wrote:Sorry if this sounds a little rude, but I feel like it's the one section of the front page that is in need of a major update.
It's not rude, don't worry. The plan is to oust the notable cuts section broken down by supervisors and just link to the booru via dedicated header. It's much neater that way and I'll feel less bad about embedding files hosted on their site without actually giving them clicks.

That's been the plan for a while now, but I just keep forgetting to do it. Busy working on something secret for the proper Kanzenshuu website at the moment.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:OPs are shorter and mostly handled by a good director like Nagamine did the current one for example. In order to get the audience more excited in the show and attract new fans they go all out there. That seems to be the intent I believe.

The OP production also doesn't get affected by poor schedule in most cases again cause of the shorter length. Even shows with horrific schedule like Yuri!!! ON ICE have a high quality OP.

Producing that level for a 22 minute episode with not a good schedule and a long running show on top of it is very difficult. That is why it is the crucial moments sakuga fans expect to see good staff doing good work and also bringing in top animators to raise the quality. Episode #66 of DBS is a fine example.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
I do know the marketing value behind an op and obviously the short length is the biggest factor.

I always can't understand why sometimes the character art shifts so much in the show. Especially, stuff tgat are easily noticeable like body proportions.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:
I do know the marketing value behind an op and obviously the short length is the biggest factor.

I always can't understand why sometimes the character art shifts so much in the show. Especially, stuff tgat are easily noticeable like body proportions.
It's not hard to understand, they don't have the time to make sure everything in the show looks good.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Does anyone think this cut from episode 74 might have been Taichiro Ohara?

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Okay I know I'm a little late to this but was I the only one who hated how Krillin was drawn in this episode? His head is so huge and his body is so tiny he looks like a bobblehead half the time. The worst part though is his eyes. Much like Gohan his eyes keep radically changing width, position, distance from another, slant angle etc. I'm really glad Super seems to have left its days of more infamous animation mistakes behind but godammit why are we left with so many eye problems?
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:Okay I know I'm a little late to this but was I the only one who hated how Krillin was drawn in this episode? His head is so huge and his body is so tiny he looks like a bobblehead half the time. The worst part though is his eyes. Much like Gohan his eyes keep radically changing width, position, distance from another, slant angle etc. I'm really glad Super seems to have left its days of more infamous animation mistakes behind but godammit why are we left with so many eye problems?
I mean... what do you expect from a Yashima episode? Even with all the corrections, it's not like an extraordinary amount of pure talent is being poured in.
Retired.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:Okay I know I'm a little late to this but was I the only one who hated how Krillin was drawn in this episode? His head is so huge and his body is so tiny he looks like a bobblehead half the time. The worst part though is his eyes. Much like Gohan his eyes keep radically changing width, position, distance from another, slant angle etc. I'm really glad Super seems to have left its days of more infamous animation mistakes behind but godammit why are we left with so many eye problems?
I mean... what do you expect from a Yashima episode? Even with all the corrections, it's not like an extraordinary amount of pure talent is being poured in.
I guess but like I said this goes way beyond Yashima. Gohan for the last several episodes has had this same problem and I recall Beerus having a somilar problem near the end of the exhibition as well.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:58 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Does anyone think this cut from episode 74 might have been Taichiro Ohara?
I think this could be him. He has done similar kind of scenes before
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/16888
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/31355
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/31516

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:20 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote:

It's not hard to understand, they don't have the time to make sure everything in the show looks good.
There is a difference between "weird faces" and "completely different body proportions" when it comes to art. Making a guy with large body and normal legs, skinny with MChammer pants doesn't sound like a mistake but more of an artistic choice.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:46 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Does anyone think this cut from episode 74 might have been Taichiro Ohara?
That could be him, though the only trait it has similar to what I know about his style is the roundness of the shape of his muscles.
His work from #79 is a lot easier to spot.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
It's pretty comparible to his work on #194 of Z.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:04 am

[spoiler]t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RuChqcJYrs[/spoiler]

What do you guys think (Not the AoT thing, the animation things)?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:27 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote:What do you guys think (Not the AoT thing, the animation things)?
Yeah, it's not incorrect. We've discussed it a fair bit over the past year+. It's been my answer to, "If Super doesn't have enough time, can't they just hire more animators to help?" for a while now.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:30 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Does anyone know who drew this? I really like the Trunks!