Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 pm

The SSJ2 fight was kinda ok? a lil awkward at times and the art was stiff as heck... still good tho, I was expecting something a little better since we finally just reached 3 digits. The fight choreography was nice.
Last edited by SansrivaaL on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Decent looking episode, I liked how everything was fast and there was some actual choreography that I liked. Yashima was...well he definitely was there and I hate his art a lot, thank god it wasn't something too bad though.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:57 pm

This episode left a bitter sweet taste in my mouth!!

Its the perfect example of a beautiful storyboard, with a production staff not being able to keep up with that storyboard due to schedule issues.

I mean, i liked what they were trying to do with the interesting angles, the choreography etc, but it wasn't done well.

Also, those sound effects were aweful. When Goku tried to punch LSSJ Kale, it sounded weird and that combined with the stiffness was a bit cringy.

All in all, it was an ok episode? But it tried to achieve something and failed in the attempt.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:04 pm

There was a lot to not like in this episode. It's jank was pretty well-covered up with the filter and the use of "blurry-shaky" cam.

The directing as well was a nightmare. There was perhaps one transition I really liked and that was how they cut to Zeno knocking (whatshisface) out of the ring toward the end. It was a very clever camera trick and stood out a lot. That said there were several instances of rapid cuts that left me confused, and the ending looked as if they condensed 5 minutes of story into 30 seconds. it was absolutely jarring.

The episode itself was decent, but these issues are still pretty noticeable. Also, it rubs me the wrong way that the LSSJ fight got ended prematurely by Jiren's arrival. Speaking of continuity isn't this ring supposed to be made of Kachi Katchin.... a steel much stronger than Kachin? and it was doubly reinforced by the God's preliminary fight?? It's getting turned into rubble. and people are getting dug through it? How exactly? by all means, anybody getting their face dug through it, needs to not have a face anymore.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Hit!! wrote:This episode left a bitter sweet taste in my mouth!!

Its the perfect example of a beautiful storyboard, with a production staff not being able to keep up with that storyboard due to schedule issues.

I mean, i liked what they were trying to do with the interesting angles, the choreography etc, but it wasn't done well.

Also, those sound effects were aweful. When Goku tried to punch LSSJ Kale, it sounded weird and that combined with the stiffness was a bit cringy.

All in all, it was an ok episode? But it tried to achieve something and failed in the attempt.
I thought the Goku and Kale fight was done well, but some parts were a bit ruined because the art sucked.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:08 pm

This episode looked rather terrible outside of select scenes here and there. You can tell how off-model Goku looked, and I really do not like the smears when the characters are fighting. Or whatever you call that.

I'd wager to say this was the worst animated episode of the tournament so far, but at least it was just spent on the Saiyan girls. Could have been worse I guess.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Also is it just me, or did they sample this?
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:12 pm

precita wrote:This episode looked rather terrible outside of select scenes here and there. You can tell how off-model Goku looked, and I really do not like the smears when the characters are fighting. Or whatever you call that.

I'd wager to say this was the worst animated episode of the tournament so far, but at least it was just spent on the Saiyan girls. Could have been worse I guess.
The animation was nowhere near bad, just Yashima's art is off model and pretty bad. However I disagree that just because the art it ruined the nice choreography and the fast paced fight.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Well not everything was bad. The scene where Kale was being punched by the red alien while she was held up by the sumo pig looked pretty good. Some parts of Goku/Caulifa were ok, and Kale had some nicely animated shots. But I don't know, the parts that looked bad overweighed the good.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 pm

A Man named RJ wrote:Also is it just me, or did they sample this?
That's where my mind went :P

I was fine with how this episode looked for the most part. I enjoyed how the stage looked; all foggy now with the broken ring making it look like a war zone. The fog adds a lot to it I feel as it'll make some battles seem more isolated. Creates a great atmosphere.

The Kale beatdown by those two dudes looked fine, too. I liked that scene a lot; wish some bruises were added.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:18 pm

precita wrote:Well not everything was bad. The scene where Kale was being punched by the red alien while she was held up by the sumo pig looked pretty good. Some parts of Goku/Caulifa were ok, and Kale had some nicely animated shots. But I don't know, the parts that looked bad overweighed the good.
The entire Goku vs Kale fight looked really good.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Tate maybe?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:29 pm

A Man named RJ wrote:Also is it just me, or did they sample this?
That was literally the first thing I thought of when I saw the latest episode. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Hit's face looked really off in the episode. Look like from one of the bad animated episodes from the U6 tournament.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:37 pm

Yashima is a monster. This was not bad at all. There wasn't a moment when I thought about the animation, which is something. Let's not take these kind of episodes for granted. The fact this guy can pull an episode like this almost entirely by himself it's remarkable.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:37 pm

You guys should see Goku's face when he went up on Kale, looked weird as hell, but the SSJ2 V Kale one was quite interesting compared to SSJ2 Goku V SSJ2 Cauli.
I hope the next episode delivers.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:49 pm

Does anyone know who wrote this episode?

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Nothing insulting about this episode.
The animation was limited but decent, bank was almost nowhere to be found, and there were few good fights.
It feels like Yashima loves (or can only animate) fast straight punches. The amount of times he use the same punch motions in super is crazy.
Still I cant say I didn't like it.
The art was 100% Yashima with some corrections (still not a fan of his plain look and weird noses).
Probably, the best episode so far in the tournament

Next week Ken goes wild (a little bit early)

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Decent episode overall. Not a huge fan of Yashima's art though. Some parts were stiff but still enjoyed the episode. Overall the best episode out of the 4 that we have had so far IMO.

Do you guys still watch the live stream ? I personally don't like it and now we have Cruncy as well. Many of the times the quality isn't that good and there is no context to it. Watching the episode in HD with context in the first viewing is a much better experience and is more impactful.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:00 am

Finally, watched an episode after two months. I can't say I liked it, lol. What an absurd episode. Karasawa Kazuya's weakest work in the show so far. His SB had decent ideas, but Yashima didn't execute it well enough. And, Karasawa's direction itself didn't have much flow like he had previously. It wasn't smooth.

Hopefully, the next time the combo can do better.