Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Gashif Aldi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:33 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So I was watching Kai last night and noticed in the OP for Freeza arc how good SS looked and wish we got that colouring in Super cuz regular SS looks like crap in DBS:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
vs this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Sooo much better, I am actually glad they are fighting more in base in the ToP.
1. That's Shida, the shading and stuff.
2. They probably have so much time for the post-processing.
3. The colour palette is better than BoG.

The weird thing is, Shida's hair shading is usually white, but here it's black, like it's giving more depth into it which is alwaysa good thing fo me.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:12 pm

HeroR wrote:
PMD wrote:
precita wrote:What would you guys say is the worst animated episode of the tournament so far? I think they've all looked pretty good or better than average, I guess by default the first or second ep?
I would go with the first one, because of all that BANK animation used in an inelegant way. The second was better because it improved the way they used BANK, more "hidden".
I don't agree with this. A lot of fans didn't even noticed the BANK animation until people pointed it out to them.
I'm just saying what I think. I can't talk on behalf of others without knowing what they noticed. "A lot of fans" sounds kind of random for an argument though, but that's not the point. Those reused cuts of Gohan and Piccolo attacking, Goku dodging ki blast or 17's, I noticed them instantly. It was super obvious. Didn't have the same feeling in the next episode, thanks to the direction of the episode.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So I was watching Kai last night and noticed in the OP for Freeza arc how good SS looked and wish we got that colouring in Super cuz regular SS looks like crap in DBS:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
vs this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm never one to defend Super's art style vs Z because let's be honest when you put the two side by side Super will always look like shit...

BUT - I think it's unfair to compare these two images. One is for an episode (and it actually looks pretty good for being in an episode. The art is getting more and more consistent at the very least) and the other is for an OP. There is undoubtedly way more time to create that OP. An OP will almost always look better than the actual show itself. That goes for every anime. The coloring is the same thing. That OP shot of Goku has a ton of shading and detail put into it. You can't get that in an episode and not even episodes of Z had that.

But in general yes, the colors on Z are way better in everything compared to Super. However, this arc has gotten A LOT better in terms of colors and shading when you compare it to other arcs which are so bright and colorful it hurts my eyes.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:03 am

Asura wrote:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
vs this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm never one to defend Super's art style vs Z because let's be honest when you put the two side by side Super will always look like shit...

BUT - I think it's unfair to compare these two images. One is for an episode (and it actually looks pretty good for being in an episode. The art is getting more and more consistent at the very least) and the other is for an OP. There is undoubtedly way more time to create that OP. An OP will almost always look better than the actual show itself. That goes for every anime. The coloring is the same thing. That OP shot of Goku has a ton of shading and detail put into it. You can't get that in an episode and not even episodes of Z had that.

But in general yes, the colors on Z are way better in everything compared to Super. However, this arc has gotten A LOT better in terms of colors and shading when you compare it to other arcs which are so bright and colorful it hurts my eyes.
That's opinion since I general prefer Super's art style and coloring over Z, especially the coloring used in the Namek/Freeza Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:46 pm

HeroR wrote:
Asura wrote:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
vs this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That's opinion since I general prefer Super's art style and coloring over Z, especially the coloring used in the Namek/Freeza Saga.
Not to mention Z had dozens of awful looking episodes that some people forget for some reason.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Araki wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Asura wrote:

Not to mention Z had dozens of awful looking episodes that some people forget for some reason.
I wouldn't even say episodes; the artstyle took a massive nosedive post Freeza. Image

This is how I remember most Cell and Buu episodes looking. The faces are messed up, and their arms often looked like Playstation 1 character models, bulky muscles with the spacing at the elbow far too narrow. Horrible. Piccolo is the only character I feel survived Cell and Buu's art change.

We also lost all the beautiful water painted backgrounds if I remember. I loved those in DB/Early Z. They did it for the first episode of Super and I think it pops up every now and then, but I wish it was as common as it used to be, and that snake looked fantastic: Image

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Then I guess I must be the only one who thinks that the regular Super saiyan tranformations look fantastic as far as coloring goes. Vegeta's hair is actually gold now.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:48 pm

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
vs this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm probably in the minority here, but i personally prefer the DBS image you posted. SSJ was always light yellow, almost white.. Not that orangeish nonsense you see in those Kai images.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Putting aside the awful hair design, I very much preffer the way they colored it back in the day (and this applies to the series in general).

Dark when the aura is on:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

and light when it's not:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Burast

Post by Burast » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Hit!! wrote:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
vs this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm probably in the minority here, but i personally prefer the DBS image you posted. SSJ was always light yellow, almost white.. Not that orangeish nonsense you see in those Kai images.
I accompany you. Maybe because I think the character designs in DBK were even worse than the actual ones.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:16 pm

I always felt like a lot of stuff was colored in with markers in Z

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 pm

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
vs this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Is not a fair comparison, mainly because the pic you used from Super has some awful filter, but yea I would like the hair to be more gold like in-aura like DBZ.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:23 am

The covers for rental volumes 27 and 28 were just posted on the DB Super twitter:
https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 8994846720

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:04 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:The covers for rental volumes 27 and 28 were just posted on the DB Super twitter:
Gohan looks like Vegeta, lol. If that's Yamamuro, he's becoming worst and worst at his job.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:30 am

PMD wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:The covers for rental volumes 27 and 28 were just posted on the DB Super twitter:
Gohan looks like Vegeta, lol. If that's Yamamuro, he's becoming worst and worst at his job.
His recent character designs and the bit we know was him in 90 were better and in general his work on the EDs has been solid. The rental covers (if they are him) seem to be more of an outlier, even then they aren't that bad. Goahan's hair and brow and kinda messed up, but other than that the covers are fine, especially for art that was just made for Japanese only rental DVDs.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
PMD wrote:
His recent character designs and the bit we know was him in 90 were better and in general his work on the EDs has been solid. The rental covers (if they are him) seem to be more of an outlier, even then they aren't that bad. Goahan's hair and brow and kinda messed up, but other than that the covers are fine, especially for art that was just made for Japanese only rental DVDs.
Yeah I think someone mentioned before that he's "phoneing" these is. Which is understandabe given he's probably under intense work for this arc, like you said as long as he's doing fine or better where it counts then that's all that matters.
Noah wrote: Is not a fair comparison, mainly because the pic you used from Super has some awful filter, but yea I would like the hair to be more gold like in-aura like DBZ.
I didn't have another shot handy but I have been feeling this way for a while but it was mainly amplified when watching Buu Kai and seeing how great the SS hair looked there.
Hit!! wrote: I'm probably in the minority here, but i personally prefer the DBS image you posted. SSJ was always light yellow, almost white.. Not that orangeish nonsense you see in those Kai images.
Aura-less they could do that but with the aura it needs to be more striking & I thought the Kai colouring was perfect to me regular SS in Super looks kinda sickly.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:04 pm

PMD wrote:
What? It looks great, I really don't get it.
All the saiyans faces look roughly the same without the hair. Especially with a smirk like this.
Gohan looks 100% Gohan.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:59 pm

I actually think Universe Survival arc is the best looking arc of the franchise.

- We finally crossed the barrier where the art/animation are consistent enough and we don't a single bad looking episode.
- The post-production work is just incredible and that's the main reason why I think this. The filter was a good addition and the art direction just makes this arc stand out from everything we ever had in such a good way.

For the first time I will bother to gather my favourite shots and create a gallery which I will post here when the arc ends.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:46 pm

An update on the new Saint Seiya show, Super won't have to worry about losing staff to it since it's CG, not a 2D anime. Interestingly the writing staff is entirely western, direction and design is still all Japanese people though.
Also contrary to early speculation, it's not directed by Morio Hatano, but instead Yoshiharu Ashino.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I actually think Universe Survival arc is the best looking arc of the franchise.
You mean for DBS right?