Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by majinwarman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:12 pm

dhaval_dongre wrote:
Asura wrote:THAT NEP!

Holy fuck Takahashi is a literal god sent from animation heaven. This is going to make a great birthday gift. Around a week and a half late, but it'll still do.

Question though. Why is Takahashi allowed to draw however he wants while completely ignoring the character sheets? Is it because they look at it and think it looks so damn good too that they give him a pass?
Other animators too draw their way, viz. Manabe, Tate, Karasawa, Shimanuki. Its impossible for Yamamuro to intervene in each episode, plus he also does designs and promotional material. Plus, with the new movie being announced and production already in work (as per Toei's website), he must have his hands full. Also, we haven't seen him involved in Super as much as one had expect after his heavy involvement in the RoF movie. Even, Tsuji and Ide have their own take on the designs. Ide's style has definitely evolved in this arc. The issue is that, we haven't seen other animators steer far way from the original CDs.
Have they announced who is going to be animating on the new movie yet?
Last edited by majinwarman on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Some more to wet your appetite:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Not a fan of those last two Vegeta's tbh. Face looks squished and the bottom one looks like he's Pinocchio.
Those pictures look great to me. But, everyone has their own opinion about everything.
Majinwarman

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:40 pm

majinwarman wrote: Have they announced who is going to be animating on the new movie yet?
No staff has been announced other than Toriyama doing the script and as usual the original designs that will be adapted by whoever is character designer (probably Yamamuro).

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Not a fan of those last two Vegeta's tbh. Face looks squished and the bottom one looks like he's Pinocchio.
Takahashi definitely has a unique style of drawing the face looking a bit squished because of the extremely angular eyes. Even with this fault though, it still looks absolutely amazing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Asura wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Takahashi definitely has a unique style of drawing the face looking a bit squished because of the extremely angular eyes. Even with this fault though, it still looks absolutely amazing.
I think absolutely amazing is a bit of an over statement it only seems that way cuz of the current awful CDs, next to Z these wouldn't be heralded to an amazing standard they'd just considered normal.

I'm one for a proper nose definition but it looks absurd here on Vegeta especially on that first pic.

Art only can take you so far I wanna see proper good animation from him that he's capable of. I'd rather have 30secs of great animation rather than 10 mins of so so animation with good art. Plus he's a freelance so he's not guaranteed to stick around if he never comes back and doesn't give us amazing cuts then his involvement will feel like total waste, he's totally being wasted as a supervisor especially since he isn't doing full eps and now that he might even share Part B.

Edit- Okay so apparently he's produced quite a number of cuts for the episodes, feeling a bit better about it. Still not under the crazy hype everyone has fallen under.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Takahashi's Jiren looks pretty horrendous, at least from the preview. Actually, at least from the preview, it doesn't look like this will be as good as his previous work. Except the Final Flash nothing looks too special. I mean, if Takahashi's brought in to elevate an otherwise mediocre episode with his great art, I prefer that to the alternative of... Just a mediocre episode... but for now I'm underwhelmed.

Thinking about it, the filter might not help him either, like it usually does.
Last edited by Draconic on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:27 pm

You do realize when those shots are in motion those screens will appear for like a second? Episode screens don't do things justice when you know when the episode plays and all these shots are part of motion-centric battle shots that are barely on screen for half a second.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Asura wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Not a fan of those last two Vegeta's tbh. Face looks squished and the bottom one looks like he's Pinocchio.
I think absolutely amazing is a bit of an over statement it only seems that way cuz of the current awful CDs, next to Z these wouldn't be heralded to an amazing standard they'd just considered normal.

I'm one for a proper nose definition but it looks absurd here on Vegeta especially on that first pic.

Art only can take you so far I wanna see proper good animation from him that he's capable of. I'd rather have 30secs of great animation rather than 10 mins of so so animation with good art. Plus he's a freelance so he's not guaranteed to stick around if he never comes back and doesn't give us amazing cuts then his involvement will feel like total waste, he's totally being wasted as a supervisor especially since he isn't doing full eps and now that he might even share Part B.
These cuts would definitely not be considered normal when put next to Z. If they were put next to a Z movie they would be considered normal (like in Ajay's post), but not a regular run of the mill Z episode. I don't know why you're clamoring for 30 seconds of great animation instead of an episode with great art since we have episodes literally all the time with short snippets of great animation paired next to mediocre art.

Weird how much people complain about Super's animation when its problem has always been its art. Z never had spectacular animation either and most people didn't seem to care since the art looked good. When the art doesn't look good to cover for lackluster animation though, well then you have Dragon Ball Super really.
Draconic wrote:Takahashi's Jiren looks pretty horrendous, at least from the preview. Actually, at least from the preview, it doesn't look like this will be as good as his previous work. Except the Final Flash nothing looks too special. I mean, if Takahashi's brought in to elevate an otherwise mediocre episode with his great art, I prefer that to the alternative of... Just a mediocre episode... but for now I'm underwhelmed.

I see nothing wrong at all with his Jiren. In fact, it's the best Jiren has ever looked by far IMO. What is your problem with it?

If people aren't happy with Takahashi's work, then I really have no idea what you're still watching this show for and waiting to see. I swear, I dunno what it is with this arc but people's expectations have gone so far and above reality that it makes my head spin. I've heard people here say that 109 & 110 are terrible, and now I'm hearing some of Takahashi's work is "horrendous". Seriously, what are you guys expecting? lol.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:36 pm

precita wrote:You do realize when those shots are in motion those screens will appear for like a second? Episode screens don't do things justice when you know when the episode plays and all these shots are part of motion-centric battle shots that are barely on screen for half a second.
You do realize I find the motion itself underwhelming right? And none of my problems with Jiren's look have anything to do with with it being in motion or not. The shading style just doesn't look good on him. It looks like it's smothering the drawing.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Draconic wrote:Takahashi's Jiren looks pretty horrendous, at least from the preview. .
???
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Draconic wrote:
precita wrote:You do realize when those shots are in motion those screens will appear for like a second? Episode screens don't do things justice when you know when the episode plays and all these shots are part of motion-centric battle shots that are barely on screen for half a second.
You do realize I find the motion itself underwhelming right? And none of my problems with Jiren's look have anything to do with with it being in motion or not. The shading style just doesn't look good on him. It looks like it's smothering the drawing.
So your problem with the shading is that it looks too much like Dragon Ball Z? :think:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:46 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Draconic wrote:Takahashi's Jiren looks pretty horrendous, at least from the preview. .
???
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I do think that doesn't look great. The dark purple shadows just seem way too dark, which is why thinking about it, this might be a filter issue. I think the best shot to clarify what I mean is Jiren getting kicked by Vegeta. The darker brown shadows on the humans like Vegeta and Gohan look natural, but on Jiren they're not that good and the difference is pretty noticable imo.
It's the same with Freeza, though not specific to Takahashi as it seemed to pop up in this episode too. That dark green layer of shading they add on him feels out of place.

I guess it's more of an issue with the show's color pallet, but it's the most noticable in Takahashi's work since strong shadows seem to be his forte.

GhoulEto

Post by GhoulEto » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Draconic wrote:Takahashi's Jiren looks pretty horrendous, at least from the preview. Actually, at least from the preview, it doesn't look like this will be as good as his previous work. Except the Final Flash nothing looks too special. I mean, if Takahashi's brought in to elevate an otherwise mediocre episode with his great art, I prefer that to the alternative of... Just a mediocre episode... but for now I'm underwhelmed.

I hope and what you wrote is a joke, you are the first person of millions that I see who complains about the art of the preview LOL

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:47 pm

GhoulEto wrote:

I hope and what you wrote is a joke, you are the first person of millions that I see who complains about the art of the preview LOL
What’s wrong with having a different opinion than the norm?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:42 am

It's crazy how some of you think the art is bad when it is even better than the standard DBZ episode...

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:52 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Have they announced who is going to be animating on the new movie yet?
No staff has been announced other than Toriyama doing the script and as usual the original designs that will be adapted by whoever is character designer (probably Yamamuro).
Thank you for the information!
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:54 am

IGhostUlt wrote:It's crazy how some of you think the art is bad when it is even better than the standard DBZ episode...
I'm kinda surprised as well by some of these responses here.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:06 am

Look when I think Takahashi and DBS I think amazing rotation and epicly violent Kamehameha not he drew SSG nice that one f**king episode. The bits he did in the special left a far more lasting effect on me than his supervised episode.

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Look when I think Takahashi and DBS I think amazing rotation and epicly violent Kamehameha not he drew SSG nice that one f**king episode. The bits he did in the special left a far more lasting effect on me than his supervised episode.
I get that you want excellent animation from him, rather than art, I completely understand that.
However, his art stands out even more to people like me, because we have tons of animators who can create beautiful animation, but how many animators do we have who can create nostalgic Z-esque art?
But hey, we all have different opinions, and it's fine if they don't match the norm.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:42 pm

People criticising takahashi, well... we are thousands of millions anyway, we're always gotta find someone with a different opinion :roll: